• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robb marriage chronologically takes play in book 2, but the reader doesn't find out about it until book 3.

The entire House of the Undying is different in the book compared to the TV, although Drogon does kill the Undying with fire in the book.

The attacks takes place very early in the book 3.

It's just like episode 10 from last year, when several scenes from book 2 was in it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yes, but why pay $10-million more for something you can get for $10 million less?
I'm betting HBO will keep the budget the same or minorly scale it forward or back. Honestly at this point they're going to view it as a plateau anyone who wants to watch the show is already tuning in.

Why on earth would HBO actually cut the budget? It may not jump a huge amount, but there's no way it actually goes down for season 3. I'd personally expect it to go up a similar amount as it did this season.

King Boo

i'm a book reader, but i still don't understand the magic thing.

is magic coming back because there are dragons? did magic die out when the dragons died out?

or was magic/dragons/zombies weakened, and just started coming back?

Dany

Banned

is magic coming back because there are dragons? did magic die out when the dragons died out?

I think its the latter, at least thats how I understand it.

The latter, but the reason why is one of the Big Questions.

King Boo

alright, thanks you two. i was thinking about it before while reading, but forgot. after watching the latest episode, i just remembered to ask

LM4sure

Banned
I had a few annoyances with the episode, some because of the changes from the book.

First, because they didn't introduce the Reeds (or perhaps because they want to keep Osha in the show) Rickon is now traveling north with Bran and co. Rickon's character is pointless. Hopefully they write him out early on next season, but I think they want to keep Osha's character in the show so not sure if that'll happen

Second, I don't recall the Ironborn turning on Theon. I didn't like that change. I also didn't like how they showed Winterfell after it had been burned. I guess they did that because they hadn't cast the Bolton bastard, but hopefully in season three they show what happend and not just tell the audience through dialog.

The house of the underlying was a major let down. Didn't the dragon burn the entire thing down and Dany barely escaped? The way they shot it was very anticlimatic.

Tyrion's face was not nearly as damaged as it should have been. His nose should be gone. The wound he took nearly killed him and he was out for weeks I believe. In the show he was up and about the next day. Ugh.

brentech

Second, I don't recall the Ironborn turning on Theon. I didn't like that change. I also didn't like how they showed Winterfell after it had been burned. I guess they did that because they hadn't cast the Bolton bastard, but hopefully in season three they show what happend and not just tell the audience through dialog.
I highly doubt they go back to film a past event. They have enough material to cover as it is. What you saw is likely all you'll get.

I might catch some flack but even in comparison to the books, I like what they did with Jon. I enjoyed the added ambiguity despite what was said an episode or two earlier between the 2 characters. I'm not saying I like OVERALL what they did with that whole arc leading up to that point, but that point itself was fine with me.

Hnnng

q7ZWO.jpg

frequency

I might catch some flack but even in comparison to the books, I like what they did with Jon. I enjoyed the added ambiguity despite what was said an episode or two earlier between the 2 characters. I'm not saying I like OVERALL what they did with that whole arc leading up to that point, but that point itself was fine with me.

I don't think Jon was treated too bad this episode. It was the two episodes mid-season where they made him look really dumb just so they could develop Ygritte's character that I was bothered about. Here, they actually made Jon look smart.

He still needs more screen time though.

ronito

There's more discussion on the previous page.
Oops my bad. Good for the show.
As to budgeting, if HBO is smart they've had the production company keep the sets and location contracts up the budget by 10% and incentivize them to make a use of the savings from knowing that they're going to have the ability to negotiate longer term rates on everything.

Frankly I think HBO should just re-up for the rest of the seasons with a 10-20% escape clause the money saved when you can negotiate for several years instead of year at a time should pay for the escape clause easily.
Why on earth would HBO actually cut the budget? It may not jump a huge amount, but there's no way it actually goes down for season 3. I'd personally expect it to go up a similar amount as it did this season.

I've seen plenty of companies that have a cash cow and think "Awesome! We have them hooked! Let's get it for a little cheaper." I don't know if HBO is that kind of company or not.

Also I write for business blog on the side. I was thinking it'd be fun to do a "Manage like a Westerosi." post.

Something like
- Manage like a Stark: Trust everyone around you will do the honorable thing and have you head lopped off at the steering meeting.

- Manage like a Targarian: Shout threats at people until they deliver...or not.

Show needs to be in 15 episodes.

I'd actually say about 12 would be right. 15 would be too long.

Loofy

Yes, but why pay $10-million more for something you can get for $10 million less?
I'm betting HBO will keep the budget the same or minorly scale it forward or back. Honestly at this point they're going to view it as a plateau anyone who wants to watch the show is already tuning in.
I dunno about that. Theres probably alot of people watching the show that arent in love with it.
I kept watching boardwalk empire even though I thought it was just ok. If they slipped on the budget Id probably stop watching.

Dany

Banned
I dunno about that. Theres probably alot of people watching the show that arent in love with it.
I kept watching boardwalk empire even though I thought it was just ok. If they slipped on the budget Id probably stop watching.

You'd stop watching because of something like a budget decrease? You don't even know how much of that money is being shown on screen.

Like, what does a bigger budget get them? honestly, what does a smaller budget get them? I don't know, I dunno how much they spend per episode.

Bebpo

Banned
Tyrion's face was not nearly as damaged as it should have been. His nose should be gone. The wound he took nearly killed him and he was out for weeks I believe. In the show he was up and about the next day. Ugh.

I'm ok with the scar being just a scar to save on makeup/cg costs.

But I agree he should have been way more weakened, struggling to barely even speak each line.

I've been pleased with both seasons and I'm glad they didn't take Tyrion's nose.

Maybe this is a minor issue but

(AFFC)
considering the number of people who bring Cersei the head of a random dwarf, one of the defining characteristics of Tyrions character at this point was the fact that he was missing part of his nose, it made him very distinguishable, and it makes cersei very easily recognize that the head was not Tyrions. A diagnal gash across his face isn't exactly the most defining characteristic... Yeah i get hes her brother and all, theyll will likely play it off as if she recognizes him completely, but still, I think they could have mangled him in ways that didn't require much time in the make up chair...

Like i said, minor... I really don't care to be honest, but I am merely trying to understand why you would be glad that they removed a defining characteristic...

But I agree he should have been way more weakened, struggling to barely even speak each line.

I'm just glad they had him scarred at all. With the way this season had gone, I had figured they'd have him survive just fine and unscathed.

I didn't like how quickly they had him recover and being lucid, though.

Dany

Banned
10 episode seasons covering a 1000+ page tome. They did the best they could in most ways.

Be glad the next book is cut in half.

Loofy

You'd stop watching because of something like a budget decrease? You don't even know how much of that money is being shown on screen.

Like, what does a bigger budget get them? honestly, what does a smaller budget get them? I don't know, I dunno how much they spend per episode.
Are we talking about BE or GoT. GoT its obvious.
BE youd probably notice it too. You'd notice little things. Maybe instead of nookie going to ireland to have a meeting, the script will just have meeting in his office. Instead of a party they'll have a small gathering. Instead of showing a shooting, maybe they'll just imply it. Even things like the amount of extras they use.
http://youtu.be/iGRepRsNH24?t=57s
Its like they hired a megachurch for a 3 second shot.

Compared to GoT which has like 30 people in attendance for Ned starks execution.
http://youtu.be/PW6wfXPeJTw

Nlroh

Compared to GoT which has like 30 people in attendance for Ned starks execution.
So... more extras in the execution would have meant a much more emotional scene? To be honest, when I was watching it I didn't even notice them, I was invested in Arya, Sansa and Ned.

Emilia's acting was miles better this episode.

This, so much. She seemed much more a queen than a spoiled girl. The look on her face as Pree burned...can't wait to see her (ASoS)
purchase the Unsullied.

I also really liked the cinematography and sense of scale this episode had.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Just finished the season finale.... what a mixed bag. Thank god they're only doing half a book next season. (Maybe they should've done it for this one?)

Jon and Dany completely got mangled this season. The only really good povs were Tyrion, Stannis, and Theon. Everything else fell in-between. I think they should've went with the House of the Undying as the season ender with some cool prophecies. (ACOK)
No wolf head :(

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Maybe this is a minor issue but

(AFFC)
considering the number of people who bring Cersei the head of a random dwarf, one of the defining characteristics of Tyrions character at this point was the fact that he was missing part of his nose, it made him very distinguishable, and it makes cersei very easily recognize that the head was not Tyrions. A diagnal gash across his face isn't exactly the most defining characteristic... Yeah i get hes her brother and all, theyll will likely play it off as if she recognizes him completely, but still, I think they could have mangled him in ways that didn't require much time in the make up chair...

Like i said, minor... I really don't care to be honest, but I am merely trying to understand why you would be glad that they removed a defining characteristic...

I didn't like it when he lost his nose in the book.

I think the changes to Stannis are...interesting. I really love the actor and series character, but I could never see book Stannis banging or choking Melisandre, nor appear so vulnerable. However, these are all scenes that happen "off the page" in the book, so to speak, so its fun to think of them as the same, but the show as an expansion of his arc.

Loofy

So... more extras in the execution would have meant a much more emotional scene? To be honest, when I was watching it I didn't even notice them, I was invested in Arya, Sansa and Ned.
Yes it would be a better scene. Heck that is what they intended, you can see the blurry CG in back, their bad attempt to double the crowd count. The show hasnt shown Kings Landing to be much of city imo. More like a small village. And winterfell, oh man winterfell..

Tron 2.0

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Tyrion didn't lose his nose out of budgetary concerns. Same reason why I will not be surprised if
Jamie doesn't lose his hand.
Every scene he's in becomes an effects scene and that adds up fast.

It'll be really interesting to see how they split up A Storm of Swords. I've read a lot of people speculating that the climax of next season will be
the Red Wedding
, but I don't see how that's possible since it leaves a number of characters with very little to do in Season 4.

And this season has really made me look at the Dany story in the books and realize it's a whole lot of nothing going on.

LuchaShaq

Banned

This the change from nose loss to scar is one of the "bummer it's different but 100% understandable reality of it being a tv show with a budget" unlike Robb/Catelyn acting like idiots before hearing about Bran/Rickon instead of after.

jonnyp

I'm not a reader of the books, just wanted to say I'm not a fan of the magic and fantasy stuff. This final episode started to really turn me off the show.

I love the stark, realistic and gritty world George RR Martin created and when the fantasy stuff appears it just rips you out of that world IMHO.

Oh well, I'll give season 3 a go.

Loofy

Watching the episode again.. The dany storyline is just confusing as hell. What did xaro and the undying dude have planned for her that they didnt just kill her from the beginning? why doesnt xaro have any guards at his house? if he did how could the king of quarth be overpowered so easily.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Watching the episode again.. The dany storyline is just confusing as hell. What did xaro and the undying dude have planned for her that they didnt just kill her from the beginning? why doesnt xaro have any guards at his house? if he did how could the king of quarth be overpowered so easily.

Pyat Pree said that their magic was strongest around the dragons, and the dragons were strongest around her, or something like that. They were going to keep them chained up in the House of the Undying.

Xaro made a deal with the warlocks to be made King in return for giving them Dany's dragons. The warlocks' intentions were unclear, but Xaro's single-minded goal of becoming a king was pretty obvious. Who knows when Xaro decided to do this, he probably went to the warlocks because Dany wasn't interested in marrying him. The guards thing is just a plothole.

Vice

Yes, it's a moment that everyone in the city saw and talked about. It's a big turning point in the world and is a big deal to everyone not just a handful of lords and ladies. Ned was afterall one of the guys who overthrew a king a could of decades back.

Chuckie

I liked the episode except for the Qorin-john scene and the House of the Unimpressed.

I also disagree with the notion that the visions would tell too much. The visions without any knowledge you get later on in the books almost mean nothing.

ASOS spoilers (just to be sure)
-A naked woman raped by four dwarves.... what would this 'spoil'?
-A feast of slaughtered corpses holding cups, spoons, and food, with a dead man with a wolf's head sitting on a throne wearing an iron crown... now this one could indeed be deemed a risky spoiler. However if done surrealisticly enough I think you could keep it unclear enough. The thing it prophecies still came as a total surprise to me
-Daenerys' childhood home in Braavos. Doesn't spoil anything. Also not that interesting.
-An old man with long silver hair sits on a barbed throne in a great hall with dragon skulls, and says "Let him be the king of ashes".. spoils nothing
-her older brother (presumably) a woman and a kid saying: "Aegon…What better name for a king…He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"... seems to me a very important prophecy and in no way a spoiler if you havn't read all the theories going around on the net
-The fake undying... not very nescessairy

And then you have the Undying themselves. She goes into the House of the Undying without ever meeting the damn Undying themselves.. who give her her personal prophecies.
I understand it would have been to hard to show all the visions she has after that... but I do think they could have done a few in the rooms and the Undying telling her her prophecies.

Dr Prob

Banned
Just watched the last episode and thought it was great. Only read the first book and am about to start the second so I haven't formed an opinion yet on this season's changes (though from what I've read here some do seem a bit dubious just from a storytelling perspective as opposed to budget stuff), but it's a good thing the show exists, right? Feels like a good thing to me.

Even if it's flawed on its own as a show, and maybe more as an adaptation (dunno), still seems fucking rad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom