• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudWolf

I'd argue that the show was great in season 1 but season 2 is only watchable if you read the books and look at this like a low budget fan project aka expectations lower than shit.
Low budget? Did you miss that huge, expensive explosion in the Blackwater episode?

Also, I haven't read any of the books and think both seasons are great. So I definitely don't agree with you.

Ok, speculation on Dany's vision in the House of the Undying.

Snow on the Iron Throne.

Dany finds her husband north beyond the Wall.

What could it all mean?!?!?

Do you know what True Blood gets off hand?
Here are the premiere numbers from over on WiC.net as of midway through the season:
FYtOG.jpg
The cumulative numbers are a little different, but I think they follow the same pattern for the most part.

EDIT:
The True Blood S4 finale put up 5.1 for the first airing.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Yeeaaahh, I loved Dinklage in the first season and was very happy that he got the Emmy (despite not caring about award shows).

But more was demanded of him this season and I don't think he did very well. He's just not good at doing anguish/sadness. I don't think he deserves to even be nominated.

Agreed. He plays the character with humor and wit alone. And even as the witty, funny, smart guy, Tyrion should also have a layer of pain and hardship underneath that Dinklage never really taps in to.

I'm really annoyed that Dinklage (and others) openly flaunts that he won't read the books. I certainly don't think the show needs to perfectly mirror the books or anything, but I would hope that an actor truly devoted to a role would do whatever they could to understand the depth of the character. It seems thoughtless acting is everywhere in the profession these days.

Azrael

I wonder if maybe they'll wait until the S3 finale and after you know what has gone done before they finally reveal what happened at Winterfell during last night's episode.

Ok, speculation on Dany's vision in the House of the Undying.

Snow on the Iron Throne.

Dany finds her husband north beyond the Wall.

What could it all mean?!?!?

ADWD spoiler:
Hodor on the Iron Throne

Speculation(book series spoilers):
By the time Dany gets to Westeros most major cities, including Kings Landing, have fallen to the Others due to long-term infighting among the seven kingdoms. GRRM sure likes to regularly crush the readers spirit, so it wouldn't surprise me if the North got overrun just a few days after a Stark gained control of their old territories. At least I am certain that by the end of the final book Westeros will be vastly different to how it was before the war of the five kings. (Guess that also applies to the real world since much can happen during a time span of 30 years)

Kuroyume

Banned
What did you ask him about in return?
You know, I asked him about who Jon Snow's real parents were, and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a
Luke Skywalker situation.
It will all come to fruition eventually. The whole thing with all the fight over proper succession is partly inspired by the War of the Roses in the late 1400s, and back then, to ensure pedigree, the monarchies were kind of inbred. It's definitely fucked up, but it definitely happened back then, so that's why there's incest with the Targaryen line. It's toned down, though.

Theon knows who Jon's parents are after George told him.

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/69472403.html

Majmun

The house of the Undying was quite a mess. The book version is discussion fuel. The version in the show is pretty bad imo.

Such a waste.

The house of the Undying was quite a mess. The book version is discussion fuel. The version in the show is pretty bad imo.

Such a waste.

The visual medium is quite different from the written one, and some things that work in books may not work in films (and vise versa); that segment is one of them. A strict adaptation of that scene might have spoiled some things because the imagery/visions might be too heavy handed. That being said, I am bummed that they didn't try to add even a hint of subtlety for new viewers to ponder over.

That being said, there were certainly things that could have been done, such as introducing the "three mounts, three lies, etc" prophesy. Instead what we got was a giant mess. I loved the way Dany entered the tower, but everything after that felt like a bad fan fiction.

Hell, imagine if Dany walked up to the throne and saw [Not a book spoiler, but I'll tag just in case]:
a child wrapped in black cloth
. Something, anything to generate some conversation among non-readers would have been ideal. Lost worked in part because people could discuss theories for years. This show seems to have no interest in laying groundwork for any type of subtlety or theorizing outside of "is he/she actually dead?"

Amir0x

Banned
But the book specifically mentions Jon takes after Ned Stark, so there's no doubt about Jon being the fruit of Eddard's loins. the mother though.......

not necessarily. he could just be the son of ANOTHER Stark, and thus they'd share the same blood.

i think after that Alfie comment, it's clear book readers have already scored the right theory.

Bebpo

Banned
One thing I worry about is if [ASOS]
Robb Stark's death will have any impact anymore.

I was talking with some non-book readers today and they're all over Robb Stark's character after S2. They thought he was going to be some badass leader winning battles on the field, but now they all think he's a pathetic wussy character and no one cares about him anymore. They like Jon Snow way better as the "cool Stark you can root for".

I kind of worry all the S2 Robb scenes have weakened his character a lot for TV-only audiences. He's lost that mythical "unstoppable strong and true leader" aura he had in the books.

not necessarily. he could just be the son of ANOTHER Stark, and thus they'd share the same blood.

i think after that Alfie comment, it's clear book readers have already scored the right theory.

Ned's older brother, the guy Aerys burned to death? I cant think of any other Starks.

Anyway, Theon is a bitch. Yeah, his father was a dick and he was essentially a prisoner at Winterfell, but he still lived the life of a fucking lordling. He ate well, mingled with the Stark kids, was raised in relative comfort. And unlike Jon, there's no mention of Cat going out of her way to make him feel unwelcome. Not in the show, not in the books. He was reared as a high end foster kid basically, and for that he feels wronged?

He had a sister.

oh yeah, Lyanna.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've only finished book 2, so my speculation shouldn't be considered spoilerish...

I figured Jon is the son of Ned's sister (we know he at least has Stark blood in him from how Ned worded things) and one of the Targaryens (Rayghar?). I figured he would make up that he was his son to hide the truth from Robert. We all know what Robert would due if he found out Jon was a Targaryen.

In the vision, we see Dany going North of the Wall...maybe she'll meet up with Jon at some point? The series is called A Song of Ice and Fire so I always figured the storyline would culminate to some important interplay in between Jon and Dany.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The first book basically spells out who his mother is. It's something that was lost in the first season. I feel like this is all being spoiled for the show watchers.

TheExodu5

Banned
The first book basically spells out who his mother is. It's something that was lost in the first season. I feel like this is all being spoiled for the show watchers.

How so? I can't really recall the book all that well. I'm mostly going by memories of Season 1 here. There was a key line in the first episode I think..."you have my/Stark blood in you" or something like that.

If anyone should get nominated for this season, it's Alfie Allen. The rest of the cast was good for the most part (there was no terrible stable boy this season), but nothing I'd consider outstanding compared to what else is out there.

Agreed. And nobody from this show should win considering the supporting actors in other shows on at the moment.

Including Peter Dinklage, he really didn't deserve it considering the competition out there.

How so? I can't really recall the book all that well. I'm mostly going by memories of Season 1 here. There was a key line in the first episode I think..."you have my/Stark blood in you" or something like that.

Ned thinks about some of Lyanna's last words several times throughout the novel:
"Promise me Ned"

yacobod

Banned
finale was a big letdown coming off the excellent blackwater. episode was pretty good outside the ending with that craven samwell and the others/wights.

the cgi for the dead horse + wight was pretty awful too, or i didn't care for the design at all. i had a different idea on how the others and wights were going to look, this was like 3rd rate walking dead zombies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Book 1 has a ridiculous amount of times when Ned Stark talks about promises he's made, specifically with his sister. The only promise stated was that she wished her remains be brought back to Winterfel. The way he kept on going on and on about the promises he made obviously point to something else. Then we start seeing Rhaegar taking Lyanna in a different light (They might have been in love) and then it makes it even more obvious.

Ned, a man of honor, also mentions in the first book that there are certain things that can't be said to even his loved ones (Basically lamenting he's had to lie to them about something big).

If it isn't obvious why Ned had to protect Jon Snow's true heritage:
Robert, with his seething hatred of the Targaryens, vowed to kill every last one of them. The only one that seemed to be excluded from this was Aemon since he took the black. Ned was lucky his nephew was born with the Stark look and not the silver hair and violet eyes of the Targaryens.

- Access Hollywood: Alfie Allen Talks Game Of Thrones Season 2 Finale

Heh, he talks about the promo photo.

Also, Thronecast is up for the folks in the UK and Ireland:

- Thronecast Episode 10: The Official Fan Show (Finale Spoilers!)
Thronecast is going out with a BANG, as we welcome the inimitable Natalia Tena and her band Molotov Jukebox to the studio for a finale celebration. Plus we crown our superfan; Elio & Linda from Westeros.org wrap it up; and much more. Valar Morghulis!

WARNING: Contains SPOILERS if you haven't watched the finale yet!
- And watch the complete, uncut interview with Natalia Tena over here

I'll look for youtube links later.

I was re-watching season one... I've never read the books, so the following could already be disproved in any number of ways. If so, just play along! Humor me, lol.

Spoilered for theories about future events:

I just realized: Jon Snow is most definitely NOT Eddard Stark's son. The conversation with the King about their youthful sexual escapades sealed it. Nobody, not even his best friend, ever saw him do anything. I was thinking, why would a man so honorable in every way cheat on his wife like that? He wouldn't. He's so honorable that he is definitely capable of taking the shame for someone else. Probably someone close to him. I'd bet Jon Snow has some claim to the Iron throne by his birthright, and by the end of the series, will be a very important character.

OR, he could be dead by the first episode of the next season. lol, who knows~!

FStop7

Banned
So is Brienne the most perfectly cast character in this series or what?

The way she unloaded on those three dudes, the ferocity in her voice and her eyes, the way she carries herself. It's dead on. Perfect.

finale was a big letdown coming off the excellent blackwater. episode was pretty good outside the ending with that craven samwell and the others/wights.

the cgi for the dead horse + wight was pretty awful too, or i didn't care for the design at all. i had a different idea on how the others and wights were going to look, this was like 3rd rate walking dead zombies.

in my head, they looked like ringwraiths and had that same kind of ethereal, scary vibe. show version I need to get used to.

So is Brienne the most perfectly cast character in this series or what?

The way she unloaded on those three dudes, the ferocity in her voice and her eyes, the way she carries herself. It's dead on. Perfect.

I agree! She is one of the few characters of honor on the show. (Still committed to Chivalry and fiercely loyal.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom