• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the episode except for the Qorin-john scene and the House of the Unimpressed.

I also disagree with the notion that the visions would tell too much. The visions without any knowledge you get later on in the books almost mean nothing.

ASOS spoilers (just to be sure)
-A naked woman raped by four dwarves.... what would this 'spoil'?
-A feast of slaughtered corpses holding cups, spoons, and food, with a dead man with a wolf's head sitting on a throne wearing an iron crown... now this one could indeed be deemed a risky spoiler. However if done surrealisticly enough I think you could keep it unclear enough. The thing it prophecies still came as a total surprise to me
-Daenerys' childhood home in Braavos. Doesn't spoil anything. Also not that interesting.
-An old man with long silver hair sits on a barbed throne in a great hall with dragon skulls, and says "Let him be the king of ashes".. spoils nothing
-her older brother (presumably) a woman and a kid saying: "Aegon…What better name for a king…He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire"... seems to me a very important prophecy and in no way a spoiler if you havn't read all the theories going around on the net
-The fake undying... not very nescessairy

And then you have the Undying themselves. She goes into the House of the Undying without ever meeting the damn Undying themselves.. who give her her personal prophecies.
I understand it would have been to hard to show all the visions she has after that... but I do think they could have done a few in the rooms and the Undying telling her her prophecies.
Felt entirely out of place in the book, probably wouldn't work well on television. It was a bad trip and made zero sense at that point in time. With hindsight it was nice to see all that foreshadowing but it simply doesn't work the same on TV. You can't justify showing 10 minutes of nonsensical stuff as a fan service to book readers.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Getting locked in a safe until death sucks. It is known.
He didn't even get locked in with the "It is Known" girl. The girl that was playing Doreah on the TV show was really smokin hot though.

Chuckie

Felt entirely out of place in the book, probably wouldn't work well on television. It was a bad trip and made zero sense at that point in time. With hindsight it was nice to see all that foreshadowing but it simply doesn't work the same on TV. You can't justify showing 10 minutes of nonsensical stuff as a fan service to book readers.

It was (for me) one of the best and most awesome parts in the book. The fact that she now saw shit in the House and never even met the Undying means her total story arc has been rendered pretty much useless this season.
Dany in ACOK sucked...except the Undying part... and in TV the series they omitted that part too.

Speevy

Banned
I sincerely doubt they're going to <series>
replace Robb's head with a wolf's head. Just killing a wolf on the show is brutal enough.

Forkball

Not sure why people are so disappointed with the House of the Undying. I'm not to the second book yet so I don't know how it happens in the novels, but I thought the visions were aesthetically impressive and haunting. We even got a very cool Jason Momoa cameo, someone most viewers really enjoyed last season. Also Dany took what was hers with fire and blood.

Chuckie

Not sure why people are so disappointed with the House of the Undying. I'm not to the second book yet so I don't know how it happens in the novels, but I thought the visions were aesthetically impressive and haunting. We even got a very cool Jason Momoa cameo, someone most viewers really enjoyed last season. Also Dany took what was hers with fire and blood.

You'll know when you read that chapter.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
KEUp9.png

because the material was there to make the HOTU something really special,a highlight of the series. I guess the budget wasnt.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So if you got locked in a giant vault with a hot girl, do you think you'd both be too upset to have sex or would you just fuck until you starved to death?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Keep on readin' buddy.

Ark

So if you got locked in a giant vault with a hot girl, do you think you'd both be too upset to have sex or would you just fuck until you starved to death?

This.

Also I though the HOTU was actually really good, and I've read the second book :L

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the vision in THOU was totally appropriate for the show.

Pyat's death was hilarious, though. So, so cheesy.

suzu

It was an okay final episode to an okay season. Still had problems with the Arya and Jon stuff, but overall it was all right. Season 3 and 4 should be some good shit.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of non book readers referring to Dany as "Khaleesi" instead of her actual name. lol.

frequency

It was an okay final episode to an okay season. Still had problems with the Arya and Jon stuff, but overall it was all right. Season 3 and 4 should be some good shit.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of non book readers referring to Dany as "Khaleesi" instead of her actual name. lol.

I like "Kelly C".

They've only said Dany's actual name like three times throughout the TV series so far. I guess that's a good way to see if someone has read the books. Pretty much everyone in this thread refers to her as Dany.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I like "Kelly C".

They've only said Dany's actual name like three times throughout the TV series so far. I guess that's a good way to see if someone has read the books. Pretty much everyone in this thread refers to her as Dany.
Plus all the people who misspell names. If you read the book then you know the correct spelling of the different names. In short, if you misspell a name you're a dirty non-reader or an illiterate audio book listener. :p

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I thought the vision in THOU was totally appropriate for the show.

It ties in nicely with the last scene of the show, and we got to see Drogo again... but other than that it was a letdown. Was hoping for more prophetic scenes.

suzu

I like "Kelly C".

Yeah. I think the only time they've said her nickname "Dany" is that one time by her brother before he got gold poured over his head. lol. But every other time it's either by her full name or Khaleesi.

I really don't like that blonde Kalhessi girl. All she's doing for two seasons is being banged, whin, play for a queen, cry for her dragons... Come on... you want something, then go for it. Just don't sit here and and ask for pretty things. At least all the others spoiled rats are " trapped " under politics, behaviors or power play. She's just playing queen in the middle of nowhere. She have a huge daddy issue for sure.

I guess if she's here, it's because she has a big role in the upcoming events... Still, two seasons for this point...

A couple things from this morning:

- NYT: You too can own the iron throne for a mere $30,000
- Game of Thrones nominated for best drama and Dinklage for best supporting actor in Critics' Choice TV Awards

Two podcasts that discuss the finale and S2:
- Fienberg & Sepinwall
So today we kept it simple — but very long — by talking briefly about Sundance's "Push Girls" before doing extended segments on the end of "Game of Thrones" season 2 and last night's "Mad Men."

The line-up:
"Push Girls" (00:03:05 - 00:10:05)
"Game of Thrones" (00:10:10 - 00:55:45)
"Mad Men" (00:55:50 - 01:31:00)
- Talking TV with Ryan & Ryan
Mo Ryan and I are back with another installment. We talk “Spartacus,” “Push Girls,” “Supernatural,” “Mad Men,” and “Game of Thrones,” plus have a special guest return to the show.

Michelle Fairley was much better this season than Dinklage. As was mentioned elsewhere, he only does wisecracking humour well, I've seen no range from him. Jack Gleeson's shown more range. Same with Lena Headey. Dinklage simply gets alot of the most well written stuff because his character's the dry humoured intellectual.

Michelle Fairley was much better this season than Dinklage. As was mentioned elsewhere, he only does wisecracking humour well, I've seen no range from him. Jack Gleeson's shown more range. Same with Lena Headey.

Dinklage has shown more range than you are giving him credit for in his scenes with Shae and Cersei.

So after the second season, what does GAF think about Lena Headey?

I thought she was fantastic in Season 2.

Much better than season 1 because she was given much better material to work with. Then again, I've always thought she was a decent actress so I never got why she was so disliked previously.

Big-E

Just finished and I think I feel like this was a pretty disappointing ending to a disappointing season. Amirox and others have already explained the why. Some of the changes just didn't work and were changed that did not need to be made. With Jon, going closer to the book could have been even cheaper as you didn't need to have that extended chase scene and could have just had a little bit more dialog between Jon and Halfhand.

She is still not the seductive very cruel queen I imagined her, but she was SOOO much better than season 1.

I'd say this is the only thing missing from her portrayal. She's a little too cold, but she showed a much greater range in Season 2. Book Cersei uses her sexuality to her advantages with the lords in King's Landing.

Meier

Not everyone has cable and of those, a small fraction has HBO. That spin puts less perspective on it than just looking at a raw number. Ratings are relative, BB and MM aren't failed shows.

Umm, that's my point. It makes Game of Thrones' ratings particularly impressive while illustrating just how poorly these other masterpieces do. :(

Credo

I have a question for book readers. I haven't started reading the books myself, although I think I'm about to start. I haven't been spoiled on it yet, but I was noticed you all talking about the theories behind Jon Snow's parents, so I'd appreciate you telling me if I was right or wrong about it.

About Jon's parents:
Is the theory that he is the son of Robert Baratheon and Ned's sister? I remember in the show that Ned was suspicious about who Joffrey's father is because the Baratheons all have black hair, so I thought that if Ned isn't the father, then it must be Robert.

I have a question for book readers. I haven't started reading the books myself, although I think I'm about to start. I haven't been spoiled on it yet, but I was noticed you all talking about the theories behind Jon Snow's parents, so I'd appreciate you telling me if I was right or wrong about it.

About Jon's parents:
Is the theory that he is the son of Robert Baratheon and Ned's sister? I remember in the show that Ned was suspicious about who Joffrey's father is because the Baratheons all have black hair, so I thought that if Ned isn't the father, then it must be Robert.

Nah the theory is that
that Jon's mother is Lyanna, Ned's sister as you mentioned, and Rhaegar Targaryen. There are a ton of hints in the books.

About Jon's parents:

You're close, (SERIES)
but you're forgetting a scene in season/book 1 where Robert is asking Ned about the whore he had a bastard with. Robert didn't know shit about it.

The biggest theory right now is that Lyanna is Jon's mother and Rheagar is his father.

jayb

Book 1 has a ridiculous amount of times when Ned Stark talks about promises he's made, specifically with his sister. The only promise stated was that she wished her remains be brought back to Winterfel. The way he kept on going on and on about the promises he made obviously point to something else. Then we start seeing Rhaegar taking Lyanna in a different light (They might have been in love) and then it makes it even more obvious.

Ned, a man of honor, also mentions in the first book that there are certain things that can't be said to even his loved ones (Basically lamenting he's had to lie to them about something big).

man I need to re-read book 1. I barely remember some of this stuff.

Qhorin Halfhand was poorly used. Wonder how they're going to reconcile that storyline. (ASoS)
It is so much clearer in the book that Jon has to do whatever it takes to join the Wildlings--it's not just a "okay, follow my lead! 'Jon Snow, you bastard!'" throwaway thing. Several of my friend who hadn't read the books were surprised that Jon killed him.

Qhorin Halfhand was poorly used. Wonder how they're going to reconcile that storyline. (ASoS)
It is so much clearer in the book that Jon has to do whatever it takes to join the Wildlings--it's not just a "okay, follow my lead! 'Jon Snow, you bastard!'" throwaway thing. Several of my friend who hadn't read the books were surprised that Jon killed him.

I think they got the point across and it will be more obvious on a rewatch. Still it was very poorly done. Like most of the rest of Jon's arc.

Trojita

man I need to re-read book 1. I barely remember some of this stuff.

I'll just add that Lyanna and Rhaeger being in love was from another party. Of course Ned will side with Robert his best friend. According to Robert he raped her 1000 times.

It's well known he gave Lyanna the Winter Rose Crown after winning the tourney instead of his wife. Jorah Mormont comments on how Dany is like Rhaegar (When she tries to save the sheep people from being raped) which would point to him being a good person and not the type that would mercilessly rape someone.

I'll just add that Lyanna and Rhaeger being in love was from another party. Of course Ned will side with Robert his best friend. According to Robert he raped her 1000 times.

It's well known he gave Lyanna his winner bouquet (Or was it something else?) from the tourney to Lyanna instead of his wife. Jorah Mormant comments on how Dany is like Rhaegar (When she tries to save the sheep people from being raped) which would point to him being a good person and not the type that would mercilessly rape someone.

When Ned is in the brothel looking at Robert's bastard, he wonders if Rhaegar would have frequented brothels, and decides that he would not. Ned knew the score.

Trojita

Shit, scouring the wikis to find out what Rhaegar gave to Lyanna at the tourney spoiled something for me that I'm guessing is a pretty big spoiler :(

Series Spoiler:
Rhaegars child still lives and was switched with a peasant baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom