• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
11 x 17

It was this one.

I was looking so hard for a Tywin poster but he's too minor of a character unfortunately.

There isn't a official Tywin poster. The season 2 character posters were Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime, and Robb I believe.

This is the one I was talking about:
71dNvQ28JHL._AA1225_.jpg
Also, this poster is awesome:

- Corona Coming Attractions: A Clash of Perspectives: Roundtabling Season Two of Game of Thrones
Mo Ryan and Amin Javadi are nice enough to join us for the back half of the conversation, as we evaluate the overall filmmaking quality of the season (specifically in regards to its predecessor), the importance of the Battle of the Blackwater, and, most importantly, continue to go back-and-forth over the deconstruction of Arya Stark.

Did you miss the first part? Shame on you. Read it here.

Forget who’s involved? Double shame. Here you go:

Marc N. Kleinhenz – freelancer and author of It Is Known: An Analysis of Thrones, Vol. I.
Elio García – co-founder and editor of Westeros.org and co-author, with Martin himself, of the upcoming The World of Ice and Fire.
David Barr Kirtley – author and writer at Wired magazine.
James Poniewozik – editor of Time magazine’s Tuned In blog.
Doug Cohen – author, blogger, and former editor at Realms of Fantasy magazine.
Amin Javadi – co-host of A Podcast of Ice and Fire.
Maureen Ryan – TV critic with the Huffington Post (formerly with the Chicago Tribune).

Iksenpets

Banned
The Lannister house sigil is a lion, but I haven't seen any lions in the TV series.

Where do they live?

Very minor DwD
The lions are confirmed extinct in Westeros in DwD. The one Tywin's father hunted was most likely one of the last. They're still common across the Narrow Sea though.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I just read the first part of that roundtable and there was one thing about the Jon story that I didn't piece together until now.

Episode 6

Halfhand: "Tell me true, if your people captured me would they take me prisoner?"
Ygritte: "They'd take your head off your shoulders if they were feeling kind. If not they'd kill you slow."

Episode 8 they have Halfhand as a prisoner and Rattleshirt would rather kill Jon and try to get information out of Halfhand. Great writing there.

Fuzzy

Not sure what the problem is there. Qhorin has no hope of imprisonment. They would torture him to death.
It's just the frustration I have with that whole story. This is how it should've happened.

Qhorin leaves Jon to to kill Ygritte then Jon misses on purpose (like in the show) and when Ygritte looks up in shock that she's still alive Jon just says "go". Jon joins up with the rest of his group and they continue and later know the wildlings are after them (hawk flying in the sky). During this time Qhorin starts to lay out a plan to Jon in a worst case scenario if they're captured. When they're attacked by the wildlings the rest of the group is killed which leaves Qhorin and Jon alive and that's when Qhorin tells Jon they must follow that plan. Qhorin makes a statement that Ygritte is still alive and that Jon has betrayed the Watch. They fight to the death. Rattleshirt still wants to kill Jon after the fight and Ygritte stops him saying he spared her life (along with the stuff about Mance) and that led to them finding him and finally the death of the hated Halfhand. Ygritte tells Jon "we're even" and it actually means something.

Not only would that have made book fans happier than how it happened in the show but it would have also been more exciting.

Zabka

Nah that sounds like something out of a 1950s greaser movie.

Ygritte trying to understand Jon and raising a lot of legitimate issues with his decision to join the Night's Watch was handled well. It makes her believing he turned more legitimate.

Fuzzy

Nah that sounds like something out of a 1950s greaser movie.

Ygritte trying to understand Jon and raising a lot of legitimate issues with his decision to join the Night's Watch was handled well. It makes her believing he turned more legitimate.
All of which happens in the third book.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They should have just followed the books as best they could. The writing this season sucked plain and simple.

I'm reading ASoS and I can see people not liking (ASoS)
Sansa being upset about being married to Tyrion. The fact that Dinklage is handsome and nothing like Tyrion's actual description and that he isn't missing a nose will probably make this harder to swallow for TV viewers.

I say we just petition the show to be ended and forget the 3rd season. It's just going to be shit anyways. Maybe send HBO "W" heads on spikes as a show of solidarity

bengraven

Someone start speculating.

I'm guessing like another site said, that Hope is going to be a cousin/handmaiden to Marg.

Tara Fitz...maybe Val or Dalla?

Natalie Emmanuel...Taena Merryweather?

Nathalie Emmanuel looks like she would be a good person for that
interpreter slave.

Possibly, but she was supposed to be quiet young I thought?

They should have just followed the books as best they could. The writing this season sucked plain and simple.

I'm reading ASoS and I can see people not liking (ASoS)
Sansa being upset about being married to Tyrion. The fact that Dinklage is handsome and nothing like Tyrion's actual description and that he isn't missing a nose will probably make this harder to swallow for TV viewers.
Peter Dinklage is a handsome man, but he's still a little person. For a teenage girl raised on fantasies of brave and tall knights, that still can't be an appealing prospect. Remember how disappointed she was in the prospect of marrying Willard Martell or whatever his name was and he was in a wheelchair.

The longer the show goes on the more it will shuffle plot points around. If you think the show is shit now there's no reason to come back for more next year.

Youre post makes no sense. Next season maybe it will still have problems, maybe it won't. Boardwalk Empire went from a somewhat decent first season to an amazing second season. Game of Thrones went the other way. There's always hope that things will get better, but faith can be shaken.

The problem isnt the, shifting around plot points, thats fine. Its the poor way they handle some of them. As it is now the show is a third tier HBO show, but it coudbe so much more. I have HBO and will continue to have it so there is no reason for me to stop watching it. So you're going to have to deal with my, and other peoples, somewhat negative views on here or go somewhere else. Or put us on your ignore list.

Kuroyume

Banned
The problem is that they couldn't even capture many of ACoK's greatest moments properly: Arya's journey/Harrenhal, Blackwater, and Winterfell.

Blackwater episode was pretty good but very underwhelming compared to what was in the book. The fucking chain. The bridge of boats. There was an entire build up to that. It was most of the book with Tyrion scheming and it was practically gone from the show.

How good season 3 will be will depend on how good they can adapt those things. I feel like they'll screw up most of it. I have a feeling they're going to ruin Jaimie and Brienne's storyline and a bunch of other stuff.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The problem is that they couldn't even capture many of ACoK's greatest moments properly: Arya's journey/Harrenhal, Blackwater, and Winterfell.

Blackwater episode was pretty good but very underwhelming compared to what was in the book. The fucking chain. The bridge of boats. There was an entire build up to that. It was most of the book with Tyrion scheming and it was practically gone from the show.

How good season 3 will be will depend on how good they can adapt those things. I feel like they'll screw up most of it. I have a feeling they're going to ruin Jaimie and Brienne's storyline and a bunch of other stuff.

There's reasonable criticisms and then there's unreasonable expectations. Blackwater is a case of the latter.

Spring 2013. :p

I've toyed with the idea of an offseason thread for casting and whatnot. We'll probably hit 20k posts sooner or later anyway.

yeah, it seems like this one is a wasteland and it might be better to start talking up season 3, especially as that is where the news is heading. I definitely like the idea of an offseason one though.

Game of Thrones at SDCC details off of Twitter:
WiCnet said:
The #SDCC #GameofThrones panel: Alfie Allen, Emilia Clarke, Michelle Fairley, Kit Harington, Richard Madden and Lena Headey.

The panel will be moderated by George R. R. Martin and exec. producer Carolyn Strauss. http://t.co/nz32GXso #GameofThrones #SDCC

The panel is scheduled to begin at 2:45 PM PT in Hall H. #GameofThrones #SDCC
GameOfThrones said:
#GRRM will moderate the #GameofThrones #SDCC panel on 7/13. Expect live coverage of the panel at http://t.co/mek5jWV7 #sdccgotfan

EDIT:
HBO Press Release said:
Game of Thrones panel in Hall H will be moderated for the second year by George R.R. Martin. Martin is the author of the bestselling fantasy book series “A Song of Ice and Fire,” which the HBO drama is based on, and also serves as a co-executive producer on the series. The panel will include: Carolyn Strauss, executive producer of “Game of Thrones,” and cast members (in alphabetical order): Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark) and Richard Madden (Robb Stark). Executive producers David Benioff & D.B. Weiss will not be in attendance, as they are in production in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Zabka

Youre post makes no sense. Next season maybe it will still have problems, maybe it won't. Boardwalk Empire went from a somewhat decent first season to an amazing second season. Game of Thrones went the other way. There's always hope that things will get better, but faith can be shaken.

The problem isnt the, shifting around plot points, thats fine. Its the poor way they handle some of them. As it is now the show is a third tier HBO show, but it coudbe so much more. I have HBO and will continue to have it so there is no reason for me to stop watching it. So you're going to have to deal with my, and other peoples, somewhat negative views on here or go somewhere else. Or put us on your ignore list.

I don't mind complainers, you can bitch all you want. Just giving friendly advice to someone who is getting mad about something that hasn't even happened yet.

There's reasonable criticisms and then there's unreasonable expectations. Blackwater is a case of the latter.

Seriously, complaining about Blackwater is ridiculous. That far surpassed any reasonable expectations of what we would see on-screen.

I've toyed with the idea of an offseason thread for casting and whatnot. We'll probably hit 20k posts sooner or later anyway.

I think that would be a good idea.

Game of Thrones at SDCC details off of Twitter:

Looking forward to it, very interesting last year.

Wray

Yeah I think a GoT Show Offseason thread would be a very smart decision. We're already close to 20k and we can just retire the two season threads and have 1 off season thread.

Kuroyume

Banned
Complaining about Blackwater is fine. I mentioned the chain and interlocking ships for the sake of discussing particular differences between the show and book. I was not expecting the chain and everything else. I'm not delusional. What I was expecting from Blackwater and what is my major gripe with how they handled it is the reduced impact of Tyrion on that event. Tyrion met the pyromancer and then spent the rest of the season chasing Shae around instead of planning how to win that battle. It diminished his story.

Complaining about Blackwater is fine. I mentioned the chain and interlocking ships for the sake of discussing particular differences between the show and book. I was not expecting the chain and everything else. I'm not delusional. What I was expecting from Blackwater and what is my major gripe with how they handled it is the reduced impact of Tyrion on that event. Tyrion met the pyromancer and then spent the rest of the season chasing Shae around instead of planning how to win that battle. It diminished his story.

I did expect them to do a lot more with Tyrion than they did, but I felt their effort with him was at least passable.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

That's all fine, I don't necessarily disagree. But I think you could understand why I thought you meant the episode "Blackwater" which was by pretty much all accounts amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom