• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slycoopr

I really don't like what they've done with Tywin in season 2. I think they made him way more likeable and friendly than he is in the books. Tywin never smiles or gives even a small laugh, which I thought made his character so dark and intriguing. And I don't think Tywin would even engage in conversation with a little girl.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I really don't like what they've done with Tywin in season 2. I think they made him way more likeable and friendly than he is in the books. Tywin never smiles or gives even a small laugh, which I thought made his character so dark and intriguing. And I don't think Tywin would even engage in conversation with a little girl.

Other than Jeoffey, the show seems to try and make everyone seem a bit more sympathetic, and even with Jeoffey they portray him as less of a dumbass than he is in the book, with him ordering Roberts bastards be found (which to me implies that in the show he knows the truth about Cersei and Jamie), and also him being wise to Tyrion's plan with the whores.

Agreed, but somehow I like show Tywin more than the books.

Other than Jeoffey, the show seems to try and make everyone seem a bit more sympathetic, and even with Jeoffey they portray him as less of a dumbass than he is in the book, with him ordering Roberts bastards be found (which to me implies that in the show he knows the truth about Cersei and Jamie), and also him being wise to Tyrion's plan with the whores.

Agreed. I've just started AFFC, and
it's striking how self-deluded Cersei is (with regards to Joffrey's nature) compared to the show's take on the character, to the point where it's much harder to sympathize with her
. I think that future seasons will similarly benefit from making Tywin slightly less loathsome, considering that we'll likely see his actions from his point of view, as opposed to just Tyrion's. (ASOS)
With any luck, it will actually add impact to the end of his arc in season 4.

Regarding how this divergence affected Arya's story, I agree with those who say that it's strange, but I'm willing to see how her book 3 storyline plays out before passing judgment.

Enosh

acok and asos
really all of this pales to the colossal fuck up that was the whole winterfell thing

how are they going to explain this shit? "Oh a bastard of a guy that was always loyal to Robb showed up, burned down winterfell and killed everyone for shit and giggles" not including Ramsay in season 2 was imo a big mistake

Well, if they are planning for Arya to hit the same notes, I don't mind at all. A good amount of her story after Harrenhal and before she leaves ________ is just a bunch of running around.

acok and asos
really all of this pales to the colossal fuck up that was the whole winterfell thing

how are they going to explain this shit? "Oh a bastard of a guy that was always loyal to Robb showed up, burned down winterfell and killed everyone for shit and giggles" not including Ramsay in season 2 was imo a big mistake

I disagree. ACOK ASOS
They can just leave TV viewers with the same impression as most of Westeros had, that the Ironborn burned down Winterfell. Hell, they can even have tv viewers happy with some of the shit Ramsay does to Theon only to be gut punched at the Red Wedding, finding out that the whole thing was a power play by the Boltons who sold the north out to the Lannisters. Hell, Roose was probably sending feelers out to Tywin as soon as Robb started getting cozy with Jeyne.

Mordeccai

Man, book and season two are so different. I'm really enjoying myself, except for the fucking Bran chapters. Slows the book to a crawl.

Hrmm, I actually love Brans chapters because I enjoy reading about the crannogmen. Also I love the(cok asos)
gradual warging build up, I thought the dream sequence in the show displaying that was cool but in the books it just starts so subtly and slowly builds. I love slow burns.

Timbuktu

Not to mention the fact that Tywin realizes that his cupbearer is a northern highborn...and does fuck all with that.

I thought he knew she must be a spy of some sort and deliberately fed her false information. His scenes with Arya were great, if they're willing to make changes down the line and know where they are going with the characters. The show has the potential to be better than the books, being too faithful won't do them any favors down the line.

agrajag

Banned
I thought he knew she must be a spy of some sort and deliberately fed her false information. His scenes with Arya were great, if they're willing to make changes down the line and know where they are going with the characters. The show has the potential to be better than the books, being too faithful won't do them any favors down the line.

lol so far it's not looking too good. Season 1 followed the books followed the books very closely and was very successful. Season 2 not so much.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Hrmm, I actually love Brans chapters because I enjoy reading about the crannogmen. Also I love the(cok asos)
gradual warging build up, I thought the dream sequence in the show displaying that was cool but in the books it just starts so subtly and slowly builds. I love slow burns.
I also liked [ACoK]
the Walders. I thought the way they acted was funny.

Timbuktu

lol so far it's not looking too good. Season 1 followed the books followed the books very closely and was very successful. Season 2 not so much.

The first book lends itself to being adapted for a season of a HBO show, but it gets tougher especially with Dany, Jon and also Arya. I don't see how they can stick to the books completely and still be compelling TV.

The first book lends itself to being adapted for a season of a HBO show, but it gets tougher especially with Dany, Jon and also Arya. I don't see how they can stick to the books completely and still be compelling TV.

They can't, which is why they won't and don't and is why the show is so successful.

They can't. They never could. Budget and time problems make it so. The problem is that their changes generally suck. Unless you like boner talk.

But the show still hinges on what Martin wrote. And if they stray to far off course the show will only get worse. Not necessarily less successful. After all, people seem to love True Blood no matter how stupid it may get.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Danerys is probably the easiest thing to handle for the show, becasue for now she has her own story, totally separate from the rest of the plot which is so intertwined. To a lesser extent the same is true of Jon. Their stories so far have nothing do do with the stories going on in the seven kingdoms.

Levi

Banned
Luckily, either the show's current trendiness will evaporate or they'll catch up to GRRM or both, and the show will go away, be just that much more pop culture detritus only nerds remember. Meanwhile, the books will continue to endure, as they already have for decades.

10 years from now, a young nerd discovers the books, loves them. Asks his friend, "Didn't they make this into a show?".

"Don't bother," the older, wiser friend replies. "It sucks."

I hope that when the series is over, all the books get compiled into one ponderous tome. A giant book would be awesome, at least 16"x12", and 7000+ pages lol

Massa

Luckily, either the show's current trendiness will evaporate or they'll catch up to GRRM or both, and the show will go away, be just that much more pop culture detritus only nerds remember. Meanwhile, the books will continue to endure, as they already have for decades.

10 years from now, a young nerd discovers the books, loves them. Asks his friend, "Didn't they make this into a show?".

Maybe you'll lose the bitterness too.

gutshot

Or the show will continue to be a critical and financial success. Maybe pick up a few more awards before it's all said and done. And people will remember both the books and its adaptation fondly a la Lord of the Rings.

Iksenpets

Banned
I hope that when the series is over, all the books get compiled into one ponderous tome. A giant book would be awesome, at least 16"x12", and 7000+ pages lol

I would rather that when the show is done they convert the it into a single, 90 hour stage play performed with no intermissions. It could be done in a park or something so people can come and go as they please, and the last 24 hours or so would just be a delirious improving of a few dozen sleep-deprived actors. It'd be great.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm sure HBO was given some type of time table for the completion of book 7. They're not going to adapt a show they have to stop for 5 years while the final book is written.

bengraven

How was it speculated that the Blackfish was gay? Was it because he refused an arranged marriage?
Got a bad memory

Yep, that's exactly it.
There was some fallout between Hoster and Brynden in the past, speculated to be because of a woman.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/60704-is-the-blackfish-gay/

So either:

1) Hoster and Bryndon loved the same woman
2) Bryndon rejected an arranged marriage by his liegelord, Hoster, because he was in love with someone else
3) he's gay

Or "2 and 3".

Or the show will continue to be a critical and financial success. Maybe pick up a few more awards before it's all said and done. And people will remember both the books and its adaptation fondly a la Lord of the Rings.

Your logic is not wanted here! Begone back to your popular unofficial site and leave our cynical leper colony alone!

Anyway, what was I saying? Oh yeah...ugh...Cat's hair is just NOT red enough...

Vyer

*checks in on thread*

Ah, I see things generally haven't changed.

Also, 'at the expense of ____ character's development' only makes sense if that character suddenly is out of the show

smh

this type of thinking has lost such a basic bit of logic and reason, I'll never understand it

Wray

WiC posted a rumor that Mackenzie Crook was in Belfast hanging out with various cast members and may have been cast, but not for the role of Vargo Hoat.

Anybody else think he could be Ramsay Snow? He looks weird enough and doesn't look that old, despite he's 40.

WiC posted a rumor that Mackenzie Crook was in Belfast hanging out with various cast members and may have been cast, but not for the role of Vargo Hoat.

Anybody else think he could be Ramsay Snow? He looks weird enough and doesn't look that old, despite he's 40.
Please god no. I cannot see fucking Gareth from the Office as Ramsay freaking Snow.

smh

this type of thinking has lost such a basic bit of logic and reason, I'll never understand it

Too much nerd rage and feelings of inadequacies that they can't be in charge or even give their much needed "expert" input, maybe?

Or he probably just doesn't like the show.

But the internet needs to complain about things!

Also about the Blackfish (general character spoilers)
I've never thought for a second that he was gay. I just assumed something happened with a woman long ago and he doesn't want to be with a different one. I was quite surprised to read here that there are theories that he's gay. Never even crossed my mind.

Levi

Banned
Maybe you'll lose the bitterness too.

Actually, realizing that the show has an expiration date has cured me of my bitterness. Time will pass, and long after the show is off the air, the books will be still be discovered and read. Why should I lose sleep over their treatment of material that will long outlast their adaptation?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Actually, realizing that this flash-in-pan show will disappear completely, that future generations will discover the books without the baggage of the show, that "Game of Thrones" fans will be on some new bandwagon in a few years... it's cured my bitterness. Let D&D do their worst. Make Ros Queen of the 7 Kingdoms, fuck it. I don't care anymore.

Seriously what in the fuck are you talking about.

But the internet needs to complain about things!

Also about the Blackfish (general character spoilers)
I've never thought for a second that he was gay. I just assumed something happened with a woman long ago and he doesn't want to be with a different one. I was quite surprised to read here that there are theories that he's gay. Never even crossed my mind.

I figured he was just being a dick to his brother and didn't want to do what his brother told him to do.

But then again I missed the whole Renly/Loras thing when I first read it.

Actually, realizing that the show has an expiration date has cured me of my bitterness. Time will pass, and long after the show is off the air, the books will be still be discovered and read. Why should I lose sleep over their treatment of material that will long outlast their adaptation?

Weren't the books out of print before the show started? I mean, it's not like they're being pumped out, with five year gaps between books.

Timbuktu

Really, judgment is still to pass as to whether the books are literary classics. I have reservations about the GRRM's ability to close the series well. If he fails in doing that i can't imagine people will read the series the way they do LoTR or study Shakespeare's War of the Roses plays.

Weren't the books out of print before the show started? I mean, it's not like they're being pumped out, with five year gaps between books.

AFFC was a NYT bestseller before HBO, and ADWD was going to sell a ton regardless. That huge gap actually gave the series a long time to accumulate a fan base. GRRM's writing problems didn't hurt the series financially or in terms of popularity, the books certainly weren't out of print.

Really, judgment is still to pass as to whether the books are literary classics. I have reservations about the GRRM's ability to close the series well. If he fails in doing that i can't imagine people will read the series the way they do LoTR or study Shakespeare's War of the Roses plays.
Literary classics? Hahaha.

Massa

I know this is not the thread for it, but I don't know if there's a better one.

A Storm of Swords spoilers
[ASOS]
This book is too fucking depressing! Goddamn FU GRRM!

I'm literally depressed. Been reading it this past weekend, still a couple hundred pages to go...

I know this is not the thread for it, but I don't know if there's a better one.

A Storm of Swords spoilers
[ASOS]
This book is too fucking depressing! Goddamn FU GRRM!

I'm literally depressed. Been reading it this past weekend, still a couple hundred pages to go...

No worries, it's not all darkness.

I just realized today that the actor who plays Joffrey is the little kid in Batman Begins.

batmankid_joffrey.jpg

He has come far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom