• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
looked up episode 4 synopsis

I'm going to need a Kleenex during episode 4, I don't think I'll be able to handle it! :(

Physicality completely aside, because lets face it, the Baratheons are all wrong in season 1 in that aspect, Mark Addy fucking nailed that role. He was fantastic, brought a ton to the character, and probably gave the best performance of anyone.

Sure, Tyrion is a better character, but acting goes to Addy in my opinion.
Entirely correct. He should have won the first Emmy instead of Dinklage. Now he never will... ;_; (Well, not for this show anyway.)

Dany

Banned
Oh, does 'that' happen in episode 4? I knew it was early but I didn't think they'd show it in the press release.

I am inferring it based on the episode 5 synopsis that says "The end of the Baratheon rivalry drives Catelyn to flee and Littlefinger to act."

Ark

Im gonna order all 4 books for 28 euros fuck yea new too.

I ordered the second one, since I've already watched the first series I'll read the first book later on. Still waiting for my book to get here though, I'm so excited.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Fired up the BR set of s1 for the first time and I'm in awe. Everything is so incredibly polished, from the menus to the detailed history section. I'm scrolling through the history vids right now and it's impressive how many they made. If you ever want enough backstory without reading the books, this set should provide enough. What's more, judging from the ones I've listened to, the narration doesn't sound phoned in, it's delivered very well.

Of course, the transfer itself is phenomenal. Looks unreal. It's gonna be a while before i've dug through everything this set has to offer, but It looks like they went beyond what everyone expected from this set. Impressive.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Lol ebooks

I'd rather have an actual book.

Real books > ebooks any day for me too.

To each their own. Glad that paper is worth the price to you (honestly, not making fun of you).

I'd rather pay less, have the book not take up space and being able to look up the definitions of words easily without having to pull out a paper dictionary all the time. As a non-native speaker of English, that is immensely valuable to me.

tirminyl

There is something about turning a real page but I rather not lug a thousand page book back and forth to work everyday, lol.

Love the artwork (spoiler) posted above. Especially (s2 spoiler)
Ygritte

CassSept

Just one quick question concerning Episode 2.

Ep2/ACOK/perhaps very slightly the whole series
"And he is the new Commander of the City Watch" what what whaaat? This seems to me to be a bigger change to the story than anything before. That is, ugh, weird. How is it going to work? Maybe it's not that big deal, but it feels off for me.

"And he is the new Commander of the City Watch" what what whaaat? This seems to me to be a bigger change to the story than anything before. That is, ugh, weird. How is it going to work? Maybe it's not that big deal, but it feels off for me.

episode 2:
Ultimately makes sense in terms of compacting things. Why hire an actor for that role, who most people won't remember. Plus it gives Bronn more stuff to do, which is a good thing

bengraven

It's not a huge deal. The character who originally got that position was only mentioned one more time and that was it. I think it works fine and won't affect our beloved sidekick's story in later seasons.

I really like the change. Like PD says, it gives him more to do and honestly sounds like something GRRM himself would have done if he wasn't so obsessed with creating 10,000 characters.

Azrael

(ACoK spoilers)
It's a potentially huge change from the book if Bronn ends up meeting Jacelyn Bywater's fate during the Battle of the Blackwater.

Arment

Going to have to disagree. I had this opinion before I received my Kindle Touch as a Christmas present. My books read per month has risen drastically since then. Simply touching the screen to advance is so simple and intuitive. Also, knowing I have almost 100 books on a small device is a great feeling.

It's also much easier to read lying down. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone how annoying it can be to prop a book up, especially large ones, while you're reading in bed.

I freakin' love my kindle.

apana

From reading the descriptions of the episodes it seems that [series spoiler]
not only Bran and Theon, but perhaps the very end of Arya's story will be pushed into season three as well. Though it is still possible it could all be done in episode 10 depending on how much they want to cover. Also no Arya wolf dreams, or perhaps just a short descritpion of her dreams to one of the characters will suffice.

Going to have to disagree. I had this opinion before I received my Kindle Touch as a Christmas present. My books read per month has risen drastically since then. Simply touching the screen to advance is so simple and intuitive. Also, knowing I have almost 100 books on a small device is a great feeling.

It's also much easier to read lying down. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone how annoying it can be to prop a book up, especially large ones, while you're reading in bed.

I freakin' love my kindle.

I am thinking about converting, sort of. I collect books, but I also like to have a read copy for books that mean a lot to me, or are valuable. I could see e-versions replacing physical read copies and books that I am less interested in collecting, but still want to check out, and then having a shelf of just collectible versions.

Arment

I am thinking about converting, sort of. I collect books, but I also like to have a read copy for books that mean a lot to me, or are valuable. I could see e-versions replacing physical read copies and books that I am less interested in collecting, but still want to check out, and then having a shelf of just collectible versions.

I'll finish off any physical series I already own like ASoIaF and Wheel of Time but after that it's all digital for me. Some books come with the digital version and I'd probably buy them. I don't really own any valuable books though.

Dany

Banned
I don't have the space nor time to carry around 4 tomes of books anymore. Having everything on the kindle makes it soo easy.

I'll finish off any physical series I already own like ASoIaF and Wheel of Time but after that it's all digital for me. Some books come with the digital version and I'd probably buy them. I don't really own any valuable books though.

I could really get behind that if it becomes a thing. Like how most vinyl comes with an MP3 version.

I am still very physical minded, but I am moving to digital in some things. CDs, for instance, I prefer to be digital. Games I still like the package, especially for resale, but with things like Steam locked copies of PC games, and potential console locked games in the future, we will see how it plays out.

I like the tactile feel of a book, but you can't beat the convenience of an e-reader, that is for certain.

suzu

I've purchased a Kindle recently and it's really convenient. I find myself reading books at a faster pace and more often. I still buy physical copies when I want to collect/show them off on my shelf. Haha.

Dany

Banned
So was the premiere on HBOGO right as it aired on TV? Were the tubes clogged with everyone wanting to watch it?

Vespene

So was the premiere on HBOGO right as it aired on TV? Were the tubes clogged with everyone wanting to watch it?

It was available as soon as it started airing I believe.

In the future (near future I hope), all TV should be like this. Cable TV should die a quick death. No $100 plan to get the few rare channels you wanna watch along with 200 others you don't care about. I wanna turn on my TV and have all the channels I individually paid for lay before me. I select one and select my show, then start watching. Internet TV is the future (or the present depending on who you ask).

But alas, that's a different conversation. Can't wait for this season and the next to play out. After that though, I'm concerned on how adaptable the material could be.

Finally completed my tardy rewatch of Season 1. Two Episodes ready to go tomorrow night!

Great on a rewatch. Improves with further distance from the books, because most of the changes/deletions, regardless of the reasons, were for the worse. But Since I haven't read the books for around a year it doesn't stick out immediately.

I want to check out the extra features and commentaries, but I'm pretty busy, so I'll probably crawl through them a few at a time over a couple of weeks.

Is there any chance of another leak happening after episode 2 airs legit?

Doubtful.

It was just those couple of HBO subsidiaries that put 'The Night Lands' on HBO GO. HBO already confirmed that there are no plans to do this with any of the rest of the episodes this season, so unless someone really messes up big time, it's not going to happen.

I have a question

Is there a possibility that Shireen Barantheon will make an appearance?

She was not cast for this season, dunno if she'll be in future seasons either. Minor Ep 2 spoilers:
Melisandre mentions Stannis' wife has given him no sons, only stillborns. This could mean they're writing Shireen out, or it could just be a way of saying she gave him no sons except ones that were stillborn, therefore Shireen could actually be in the show later

CassSept

episode 2:
Ultimately makes sense in terms of compacting things. Why hire an actor for that role, who most people won't remember. Plus it gives Bronn more stuff to do, which is a good thing

It's not a huge deal. The character who originally got that position was only mentioned one more time and that was it. I think it works fine and won't affect our beloved sidekick's story in later seasons.

I really like the change. Like PD says, it gives him more to do and honestly sounds like something GRRM himself would have done if he wasn't so obsessed with creating 10,000 characters.

Aye, I know, I'm ok with this as I like him. It's probably just my first "OH MY THEY CHANGED SOMETHING" moment as this time around I'm actually familiar with the source material. I wonder though how they are going to deal with it once Bronn moves out of King's Landing, just "oh yeah Cersei be mad so she exiles him" or what.

I have a question

Is there a possibility that Shireen Barantheon will make an appearance?

I don't really care about Shireen, but I wanted Patchface. I know, I know, oh, oh, oh...

All the talk of characters possibly being written out has me thinking, it'd be funny if the show winds up kind of pre-spoiling minor things from the final books. Considering D&D have at least a bit of an idea of what is coming in the future book-wise, it seems like characters being omitted at this point in the series might backhandedly confirm that in the final books they ultimately won't matter.

Series
Like Meera and Jojen, by ADWD we're going "well they're just kind of sitting around now," so leaving them out could confirm that in the final books they in fact won't matter anymore and can therefore be left out in the first place in the show version.

But we've already had one case of them killing somebody in season 1 and GRRM saying "actually that dude had a role to play," so maybe they're just okay with increasingly large amounts of "new characters appearing out of nowhere" situations down the line.

New episode tonight.
The Night Lands

In the wake of a bloody purge in the capital, Tyrion chastens Cersei for alienating the king’s subjects. On the road north, Arya shares a secret with Gendry, a Night’s Watch recruit. With supplies dwindling, one of Dany’s scouts returns with news of their position. After nine years as a Stark ward, Theon Greyjoy reunites with his father Balon, who wants to restore the ancient Kingdom of the Iron Islands. Davos enlists Salladhor Saan, a pirate, to join forces with Stannis and Melisandre for a naval invasion of King’s Landing.

But we've already had one case of them killing somebody in season 1 and GRRM saying "actually that dude had a role to play," so maybe they're just okay with increasingly large amounts of "new characters appearing out of nowhere" situations down the line.

Who was this? I really don't remember.

No, they're talking about Mago.

Okay. My guess was it might have been one of the Bloodriders. It didn't stand out because I didn't actually know who was who on my rewatch because they don't really insist on hammering their names home. I did recall that one took over the Khalasar though, but not which.

As for the above spoiler mark, I just assumed that was supposed to be a different bard, but that is easy to work around by combining with another character.

bengraven

Okay. My guess was it might have been one of the Bloodriders. It didn't stand out because I didn't actually know who was who on my rewatch because they don't really insist on hammering their names home. I did recall that one took over the Khalasar though, but not which.

As for the above spoiler mark, I just assumed that was supposed to be a different bard, but that is easy to work around by combining with another character.

Yeah, the actor who played Mago wasn't going to come back, so they did the scene with the tongue. George later asked them why they did it, because Mago wasn't dead in GoT.

And because Mago is showing up in the book series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom