• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzu

Well (season 2 ep 2, Dany related)
They killed off one of her bloodriders. lol. Not really an important character, but he was the cute one!

(Sorta all books spoilers, related to the above)
As far as I remember, all three are still alive in the books.

Arment

They killed off one of her bloodriders. lol. Not really an important character, but he was the cute one!

ACOK
You're right, he doesn't die. They probably did this to add to the despair/hopeless of the moment, since a lot of it has been cut out so far.

AngryMoth

ACOK
You're right, he doesn't die. They probably did this to add to the despair/hopeless of the moment, since a lot of it has been cut out so far.
I believe it was because
the actor had to leave
. I think its an effective change though.

Laekon

CNN has a show on right now about the guy how creates the languages for Game of Thrones. The show is called The Next List.

It has a good amount of Emilia Clarke.

Wray

All the talk of characters possibly being written out has me thinking, it'd be funny if the show winds up kind of pre-spoiling minor things from the final books. Considering D&D have at least a bit of an idea of what is coming in the future book-wise, it seems like characters being omitted at this point in the series might backhandedly confirm that in the final books they ultimately won't matter.

Series
Like Meera and Jojen, by ADWD we're going "well they're just kind of sitting around now," so leaving them out could confirm that in the final books they in fact won't matter anymore and can therefore be left out in the first place in the show version.

But we've already had one case of them killing somebody in season 1 and GRRM saying "actually that dude had a role to play," so maybe they're just okay with increasingly large amounts of "new characters appearing out of nowhere" situations down the line.

Makes me wonder what they are going to do with popular characters like
Bronn
or characters that could be come popular like
Jeyne Westerling
when they basically just drop out of the story for no reason.

I think with those two I mentioned,
Bronn could work as an excellent substitute for Ser Balon Swann and Jeyne Westerling could work as an excellent substitute for Jeyne Poole.

Puddles

Banned
It's not a huge deal. The character who originally got that position was only mentioned one more time and that was it. I think it works fine and won't affect our beloved sidekick's story in later seasons.

I really like the change. Like PD says, it gives him more to do and honestly sounds like something GRRM himself would have done if he wasn't so obsessed with creating 10,000 characters.

There really are too many characters. It starts out nice and compact with the Stark family, the Lannisters, Robert's brothers, and a few players in Kings Landing. Then characters get their own arcs and meet side characters, and some of those side characters get their own side characters, and so on.

I don't have a problem with tightening up the cast. I've read all five books, and I don't even remember who the fuck certain characters are.

bengraven

(ep2 spoiler/not a COK spoiler so if you've read Clash but haven't seen ep2 DON'T READ because it's a major shift from the book)
Wasn't the one that died the only one who actually gets screen time? The one that used the whip on Viserys in the first season and in the last episode had that moment with Dani where she says she could always count on him before he rides off? Rakharo I think? I want to say I saw him a couple times at the side of that handmaiden who ends up screaming over his decapitated head.

There really are too many characters. It starts out nice and compact with the Stark family, the Lannisters, Robert's brothers, and a few players in Kings Landing. Then characters get their own arcs and meet side characters, and some of those side characters get their own side characters, and so on.

I don't have a problem with tightening up the cast. I've read all five books, and I don't even remember who the fuck certain characters are.

Yep. After this season we've really met the majority of MAJOR characters. I'm totally okay with them not really adding anyone new.

Tonight's episode shows that they cut two minor minor MINOR characters who have ZERO to do even in the books, (ep2 spoiler from above)
Shireen - Stannis's daughter, and the silver handed captain of the guard, plus they kill one secondary character, Rakharo the bloodrider
and I completely approve of that.

(I would like to see Riverrun at some point though)

Makes me wonder what they are going to do with popular characters like
Bronn
or characters that could be come popular like
Jeyne Westerling
when they basically just drop out of the story for no reason.

I think with those two I mentioned,
Bronn could work as an excellent substitute for Ser Balon Swann and Jeyne Westerling could work as an excellent substitute for Jeyne Poole.

ADWD spoiler:
They could show a few scenes of Bronn rebelling against the gold cloaks in the Feast/Dance season - I have a feeling Bronn won't survive the next book, especially since Cersei is gunning for him now.

As for Jeyne, Blackfish is betting on her stomach to give him something worthwhile. We'll see later what happens there.

(cut a few things out so that if you accidently click that you won't be SO spoiled...)

Goddamn I need to reread Dance. lol

apana

Filming the next season with [series spoiler]
Arya will be a pain in the ass. She meets a million different random people and is roaming from village to village. I really want to see these devastated villages and roads but I suspect they will go the cheap way out. They need to start using more mobile cameras. The image quality may go down but it is worth it, see how Danny Boyle filmed Slumdog. Also they should keep Hot Pie for longer. Maybe she will stay in Harrenhal for a longer time than expected.

bengraven

Filming the next season with [series spoiler]
Arya will be a pain in the ass. She meets a million different random people and is roaming from village to village. I really want to see these devastated villages and roads but I suspect they will go the cheap way out. They need to start using more mobile cameras. The image quality may go down but it is worth it, see how Danny Boyle filmed Slumdgog. Also they should keep Hot Pie for longer. Maybe she will stay in Harrenhal for a longer time than expected.

I was thinking about that the other day. They'll cut a ton of her wasted scenes, but keep the meat. Hopefully they cut none of that. The second half of her journey is important.

(Storm of Swords):
They'll most definitely skip Jenny Oldstones and Acorn Hall and all the other little shitty places. They will most likely show her getting picked up by the Brotherhood right away, then meeting up with the Hound an episode or two later. I can almost guarantee they'll show the duel with Lord Beric, the battle outside the Twins, the inn and the Tickler, then the scene with her abandoning the dog and finding a boat.

I apologize for my part in the spoilers on this page. I know we made it a landmine and probably should have brought that to spoiler thread.

(ep2 spoiler/not a COK spoiler so if you've read Clash but haven't seen ep2 DON'T READ because it's a major shift from the book)
Wasn't the one that died the only one who actually gets screen time? The one that used the whip on Viserys in the first season and in the last episode had that moment with Dani where she says she could always count on him before he rides off? Rakharo I think? I want to say I saw him a couple times at the side of that handmaiden who ends up screaming over his decapitated head.

Yep. After this season we've really met the majority of MAJOR characters. I'm totally okay with them not really adding anyone new.

Tonight's episode shows that they cut two minor minor MINOR characters who have ZERO to do even in the books, (ep2 spoiler from above)
Shireen - Stannis's daughter, and the silver handed captain of the guard, plus they kill one secondary character, Rakharo the bloodrider
and I completely approve of that.

(I would like to see Riverrun at some point though)

Full series spoilers:

Well, we need to meet Ramsay since he hasn't been cast as far as we know, and Edmure unless they change things for S3. Oh and Mance.

I really don't mind the changes but I also made my peace with the LOTR movies atin things like the omission of Bombadil. I do think that viewers need to not be watching just to see what they changed but see it for what it is: an adaptation made for a different medium that will invariably need to take some liberties from its source for the sake of the format.

SHAZOOM

Is it just me, or did they change the Intro Theme a bit for Season 2? Like they took out the Cello part since Season 1 spoiler
Nedd got executed

bengraven

Full series spoilers:

Well, we need to meet Ramsay since he hasn't been cast as far as we know, and Edmure unless they change things for S3. Oh and Mance.

I really don't mind the changes but I also made my peace with the LOTR movies atin things like the omission of Bombadil. I do think that viewers need to not be watching just to see what they changed but see it for what it is: an adaptation made for a different medium that will invariably need to take some liberties from its source for the sake of the format.

Of the three people you mention in your spoiler.

1) important - 90% chance of being cast
2) not as important - 50/50 - or less chance
3) Very important for season 3 - 100% chance of being cast

Is it just me, or did they change the Intro Theme a bit for Season 2? Like they took out the Cello part since Season 1 spoiler
Nedd got executed

Interesting. Some people said it's slightly different this year as well. I don't know if it's because of what you said, but if so that's reallllly interesting.

Wray

(Storm of Swords):
They'll most definitely skip Jenny Oldstones and Acorn Hall and all the other little shitty places. They will most likely show her getting picked up by the Brotherhood right away, then meeting up with the Hound an episode or two later. I can almost guarantee they'll show the duel with Lord Beric, the battle outside the Twins, the inn and the Tickler, then the scene with her abandoning the dog and finding a boat.

The real question is though, how would you split that over two seasons? That's the major issue with
Arya's
SoS arc. It's one of the hardest to split. Especially compared to somebody like
Dany or Jon's
, who are very easy to split.

Going to have to disagree. I had this opinion before I received my Kindle Touch as a Christmas present. My books read per month has risen drastically since then. Simply touching the screen to advance is so simple and intuitive. Also, knowing I have almost 100 books on a small device is a great feeling.

It's also much easier to read lying down. I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone how annoying it can be to prop a book up, especially large ones, while you're reading in bed.

I freakin' love my kindle.

Agreed. Holding up heavy hardcover books has always been one of my first world problems.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Really dislike Gilly's actress. Not to be offensive but every time she speaks it almost sounds like an offensive accent based on someone that happens to be r-word.org.

Starting now.

I get that they don't want seventy versions of the intro but it really seems lazy for it to still be showing The Wall and Vaes Dothrak.

bengraven

The real question is though, how would you split that over two seasons? That's the major issue with
Arya's
SoS arc. It's one of the hardest to split. Especially compared to somebody like
Dany or Jon's
, who are very easy to split.

Nah son. I've already talked that topic to death in this thread. lol

But you're right, her story, even cutting out the lame and worthless parts, will need too much time.

Apath

The whore woman who's name starts with an R is such a shitty actress. That crying was awful. I'm still not sure if she was supposed to be sincere or if she was just putting on a show for Little Finger.

bengraven

Now I can say this:

That fisherman's daughter is 10x more ugly than the book described her.

This is going to be one of those scenes everyone complains about, isn't it?

I come from a week in the future: they already have been bitching about it.

(actually a week in the past, thanks Euro HBO!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom