• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Fake quoting people may not be a good way to generate discussion.
Yeah, I don't get it. We could misrepresent Tyrion as well and you'd likewise have a few people asking "Did he actually say that?" -- we believe because all you have to do is put something in quotes and it automatically gives it credibility. We're not used to people doing that for kicks.

Agreed as well, though I guess I have a potential theory. (Again, full series spoilers)
I think Dany might get more shit for the Daario thing because it's so easy to feel compelled to make excuses for the others. Jaime is introduced as a lovesick idiot who gradually redeems himself; Jon is already portrayed as a bit of an emo teen so making poor teenage decisions is to be expected; and Tyrion is forgiven almost anything for the sake of trying to not be Forever Alone. With Dany, she made a lot of young, naive mistakes early on in the series but by book three, as you point out, she has matured into a kickass leader who makes intelligent decisions and has even shown restraint. The infatuation with Daario coming later could read as the character regressing rather than progressing.

Plus she falls for a guy and Jon wants to screw a hot redhead. Which one do you think the majority of her predominately male critics is more likely to empathize with?

Series Spoiler
There is definitely self interest on jon's part but I thought the whole motivation was to make the wildlings think he was on their side by breaking his vows? IIRC he was a bit reluctant and kept replaying the vows over in his head. He ultimately made the choice to come back to the night's watch when the right opportunity presented itself, while it did crush him to leave ygritte behind.

I feel that dany is irresponsible because she throws opportunities in front of her face away. The whole Dorne thing was a complete mess. She basically just lost all her ties in Westeros with that move.

I'm not going to blame Headey for creating a more complex Cersei than the somewhat one dimensional Cersei in the series. My problem is more with the writers and creators for fostering such a change in the first season. I get that a show like GoT needs some sympathetic characters, but Cersei's character is interesting enough to keep as is imo. She's a fiercely protective mother, like Catelyn. But her methods are far more drastic.

S2 Ep 2 spoiler:
Making Joffery order the bastards' deaths wasn't a good change to me. He firmly believes he is the rightful heir, and is in no way concerned about his legitimacy. Cersei is very concerned about the lives and safety of her children; her giving the order makes more sense.

It would be a nice contrast to Catelyn who leaves her young children at home to help win a war to guarantee her children's safety.

gutshot

I might catch hell for this comment, but:

She showed far more range in that Jimmy Kimmel segment than most of GoT.

Well, at least to me anyway.

If she'd just read the damn books her Cersei would improve tenfold.

tumblr_m1z7z8tB7W1r9h4heo1_500.gif

I didn't have to wait long to bust out this gif.

anaron

Cersei changes:

Why the hell are they making her 'complex' by giving her a better nature? She provides that perfectly so remaining the bad bitch that she is in the series.

stupei

One of the things that I find most interesting about the apparent attempts to soften Cersei's character or present her as more sympathetic than she generally comes across in the books is how it seems to have impacted people's reading of the character even in the novels. The majority of people you find defending Cersei the character as a sympathetic, troubled woman who is really no worse than fan favorites like Tyrion only read the book after watching all of season one.

So if the goal was to make Cersei as likable as George sometimes seems to think she is, I guess maybe it was a huge success.

Noaloha

I get that a show like GoT needs some sympathetic characters, but Cersei's character is interesting enough to keep as is imo. She's a fiercely protective mother, like Catelyn. But her methods are far more drastic.

S2 Ep 2 spoiler:
Making Joffery order the bastards' deaths wasn't a good change to me. He firmly believes he is the rightful heir, and is in no way concerned about his legitimacy. Cersei is very concerned about the lives and safety of her children; her giving the order makes more sense.

It would be a nice contrast to Catelyn who leaves her young children at home to help win a war to guarantee her children's safety.

More drastic, but also more.. hm, potentially spoilerish territory.. [A Feast For Crows]
..but also more self-centric. I'm not sure what the majority take on Cersei is, but I enjoy her as a character who is utterly invested in nothing but herself. Jaime functioning as self-love (until she shuns him for uttering thoughts contrary to her own) etc. She's fiercely protective of her kids, yes, but where on the surface this is motherly love, deeper down it's little more than self-preservation, given Maggy The Frog's prophecies concerning her children's fate. All of which you may (or may not) agree with, but I felt compelled to comment only because the bolded text above appears to liken Cersei's and Catelyn's instinctive motherly motivations, when I don't perceive Cersei to have that same level of *genuine* (read: altruistic) motherly love in her.

More drastic, but also more.. hm, potentially spoilerish territory.. [A Feast For Crows]
..but also more self-centric. I'm not sure what the majority take on Cersei is, but I enjoy her as a character who is utterly invested in nothing but herself. Jaime functioning as self-love (until she shuns him for uttering thoughts contrary to her own) etc. She's fiercely protective of her kids, yes, but where on the surface this is motherly love, deeper down it's little more than self-preservation, given Maggy The Frog's prophecies concerning her children's fate. All of which you may (or may not) agree with, but I felt compelled to comment only because the bolded text above appears to liken Cersei's and Catelyn's instinctive motherly motivations, when I don't perceive Cersei to have that same level of *genuine* (read: altruistic) motherly love in her.

[AFFC]
I think the most interesting part of AFFC was finding out how opposite her character is compared to Jaime. Whereas Jaime appears to have a change in attitude starting in SoS, Cersei is just selfish.

Jonm1010

Banned
My only real defense for some of Lena's portrayal - which I don't seem to despise as much as others - is that I'm pretty sure that the show creators actually encouraged the actors to NOT read the books.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure I saw or read that somewhere.

AcciDante

My only real defense for some of Lena's portrayal - which I don't seem to despise as much as others - is that I'm pretty sure that the show creators actually encouraged the actors to NOT read the books.

I think that's a good idea for many of the characters, but not Cersei. [up to AFFC]
For characters that have character changing revelations, like Tyrion finding out about Tysha, it's probably best that the actors don't have that in mind before their character does, but Cersei doesn't have that moment. You just learn more about what kind of person she is, and knowing that later book information would greatly help portraying her on screen, I think.

Solo

I couldn't resist.....I watched Episode 2. Loved it. Perhaps even better than the premiere. As far as Im concerned, this season is already better 2 episodes in than S1 was halfway through. Sexposition haters are going to have a field day with this one, lolz. I continue really loving the casting. Davos and Melisandre are both serious casting "wins" for the new season. Some really great Tyrion scenes in this one. 9 day wait until the next episode is going to be rough.

I couldn't resist.....I watched Episode 2. Loved it. Perhaps even better than the premiere. As far as Im concerned, this season is already better 2 episodes in than S1 was halfway through. Sexposition haters are going to have a field day with this one, lolz. I continue really loving the casting. Davos and Melisandre are both serious casting "wins" for the new season. Some really great Tyrion scenes in this one. 9 day wait until the next episode is going to be rough.

This is why I can't bring myself to watch it.

Agree. The contrast couldn't be more stark (no pun intended). Everything just looks better, the actors are more confident, and the writing is better. It's like everyone realized this wasn't a one-and-done deal, and that they can actually win awards doing it.

Vespene

In a dream scenario, they would have two shows running in parallel... one for Dany and another at Westeros. Similar to how DS9 and TNG ran together in the same universe.

gutshot

What they reportedly told Liam Cunningham is that they never tell the actors what to do but their preference is that they don't read the books. That being said, most of the cast seems to have ignored their preference and read some or all of the books.

Subitai

What they reportedly told Liam Cunningham is that they never tell the actors what to do but their preference is that they don't read the books. That being said, most of the cast seems to have ignored their preference and read some or all of the books.
Who has read all the books? I didn't know any of them did that.

gutshot

Who has read all the books? I didn't know any of them did that.

Ron Donachie and Natalia Tena have read all five. And I think Harry Lloyd, Emilia Clarke, and Kit Harington have all read the first four. While some of the new cast members are in the process of reading them now, like Oona Chaplin, who is on book three.

The IGN tv podcast brought up some really good points that i forget being the fan of an adapted material. They pointed out that the show runners have already said its no longer about adapting the books, but story lines and that they will pull forward or move back what they need to give proper arcs, which the editors have already seen evidence of in the four episodes, and was hinted at by arya last scenes last season as well as cat and jaime's conversation which were from Clash.

Its kind of soiled the fun third season discussion that been raging here and in the book thread for me, but it reinforces my happiness that the show has great show runners.

Ron Donachie and Natalia Tena have read all five. And I think Harry Lloyd, Emilia Clarke, and Kit Harington have all read the first four. While some of the new cast members are in the process of reading them now, like Oona Chaplin, who is on book three.

I recall Emilia saying she would only read the books when they got to the point in the show (i.e. she would read the second book when season one wrapped, now that they were getting into events from said book on the show) as to not get too far ahead and start implementing things about Dany that might not be there yet. But maybe she started reading and changed her mind because she had to know like a lot of us, haha.

Subitai

I recall Emilia saying she would only read the books when they got to the point in the show (i.e. she would read the second book when season one wrapped, now that they were getting into events from said book on the show) as to not get too far ahead and start implementing things about Dany that might not be there yet. But maybe she started reading and changed her mind because she had to know like a lot of us, haha.
We are all slaves to GRRM's story telling and no one is immune?! That would be all kinds of fantastic.

I recall Kit spoiling people w/ his knowledge of book 2, I didn't know he was through book 4.

Jeels

Book Baratheons > TV Baratheons for me, S01 Renly is awful.
Better on TV: Theon, Robb, Syrio, Davos, Arya
Better in the books: Eddard, Littlefinger, Loras, Jon Snow

Really, because I am about three fourths of the way done through A Game of Thrones and book one Renly is practically nonexistent.

Physicality completely aside, because lets face it, the Baratheons are all wrong in season 1 in that aspect, Mark Addy fucking nailed that role. He was fantastic, brought a ton to the character, and probably gave the best performance of anyone.

Sure, Tyrion is a better character, but acting goes to Addy in my opinion.

Renly was nothing special, but as pointed out a post or two above, he didn't really do much in the first book but laugh at Joffrey and then run away near the end.

Well see about in season 2, but they clearly made a decision to make Renly a bit of a different character in season 1 of the show compared to book 1. Not saying it was necessarily for the worse, but definitely different.

Physicality completely aside, because lets face it, the Baratheons are all wrong in season 1 in that aspect, Mark Addy fucking nailed that role. He was fantastic, brought a ton to the character, and probably gave the best performance of anyone.

Renly was nothing special, but as pointed out a post or two above, he didn't really do much in the first book but laugh at Joffrey and then run away near the end.

Addy was phenomenal, cannot praise that performance enough.

Dany

Banned
Well see about in season 2, but they clearly made a decision to make Renly a bit of a different character in season 1 of the show compared to book 1. Not saying it was necessarily for the worse, but definitely different.

Addy was phenomenal, cannot praise that performance enough.

I think from whats been shown they make Renly more as he was in the books for season 2.

apana

I thought Harry Lloyd as Viserys was the second best performance next to Peter Dinklage as Tyrion. Waiting to see who will step up this season and raise their game.

Wray

WiC posted the episode titles and descriptions of episodes 6-9 tonight. I'll spoiler text the descriptions. Anybody want to take guess on what the title of Episode 10 will be?

Episode 6 - The Old Gods and the New

Arya has a surprise visitor; Dany vows to take what is hers; Joffrey meets his subjects; Qhorin gives Jon a chance to prove himself.

Episode 7 - A Man Without Honor

Jaime meets a relative; Theon hunts; Dany receives an invitation.

Episode 8 - The Prince of Winterfell

Theon holds down the fort; Arya calls in her debt with Jaqen; Robb is betrayed; Stannis and Davos approach their destination.

Episode 9 - Blackwater

Tyrion and the Lannisters fight for their lives as Stannis’ fleet assaults King’s Landing.

Violet_0

Banned
my vote for second best actor in season 1 goes to Aidan Gillen (Little Finger)

but Jerome Flynn (Bronn) deserves a special mention

Good episode titles, but I was hoping for
"The Young Wolf"
as an episode title this season, and it looks like we won't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom