• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark

If you've read through AFFC then it's nothing you don't already know. Promise: AFFC
He's just talking about the fact that Bronn kind of dicks over Tyrion and becomes a less prominent character in Kings Landing after Tyrion's trial and disappearance.

Holy fuck I can't read. Wow. I read...wow. I read Drogo as Drogon... ;__;

Sorry, I guess I'm too tired :(

Helmholtz

Thought the episode was alright. I feel that I end up enjoying all the made up scenes more than the scenes from the book. The Mance reveal was a lot worse than in the book.
Yeah I didn't care for the Mance scene either. He wasn't how I pictured him at all, and they did a bad job of telling the viewer who was who.

iamblades

Yeah I didn't care for the Mance scene either. He wasn't how I pictured him at all, and they did a bad job of telling the viewer who was who.

That's the whole point of the scene though, that Mance doesn't look or behave like a King in Jon's mind which is why he (and the viewer) get confused.

Kuroyume

Banned
Kind of wish they had gotten the dude from Hannibal to play Mance. i know Mance is supposed to be older than Jon but the current Mance looks kind of soft and lumpy... Usually I picture the wildings as hard chiseled guys. Or starving.

Helmholtz

That's the whole point of the scene though, that Mance doesn't look or behave like a King in Jon's mind which is why he (and the viewer) get confused.
I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be able to distinguish between Mance and Tormund. My dad, who hasn't read the books, wasn't able to. Mance's portrayal was OK, but Tormund's wasn't good imo.

Kadayi

Banned
Some dude with dumb opinions who got super popular off overreacting to Ned's death.

^Truth.

He seems like a genuine enough guy, but I think increasingly he's going to get more and more frustrated as the show goes on given he's not read the books. He occasionally has turned up on a http://podcastoficeandfire.com/ which is pretty much all hardcore book fanatics for their episode reviews/recaps/table flipping and largely they kind of mock him because he thinks things are somehow going to get better for the characters.

iamblades

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be able to distinguish between Mance and Tormund. My dad, who hasn't read the books, wasn't able to. Mance's portrayal was OK, but Tormund's wasn't good imo.

You aren't supposed to distinguish them before Mance introduces himself, that's the whole point. After Mance steps up you'd have to be blind to confuse them though.

Tormund may have been more understated than he was in the books so far, but with a character like that it's easy to go over the top and cartoonish and make him seem like a buffoon, which I'm glad they haven't done.

Helmholtz

Tormund was a bit of a disappointment. Maybe he'll get better later on.
Hopefully. Seemed like he was doing his best Christian Bale batman impression.
You aren't supposed to distinguish them before Mance introduces himself, that's the whole point. After Mance steps up you'd have to be blind to confuse them though.
Eh, I guess so. I never really cared for that character in the book anyway so it doesn't bother me much.

Lothar

Banned
Major Sos Spoilers..

Kind of seems like the whole point in my opinion...

They want the viewer to feel sympathy for Shae so when she betrays Tyrion it hurts that much more and makes Tyrion's revenge that much more enjoyable

Anyone who takes enjoyment of someone murdering a woman for lying is a sociopath. I'll be so glad if they change that because I thought it made Tyrion completely unlikable. It would be even worse in the TV show because TV show Shae is kind-hearted.

Podcast of Ice and Fire is great, and definitely the best GoT podcast by a mile. The episode reviews can be rather book wankish, especially over stuff that doesn't really...matter. I can already imagine someone complaining about the lack of the puppy story with the Unsullied lol. Bros...they kill babies - I'm pretty sure people get the message that they're bad motherfuckers. Personally I get more upset when book changes lead to bad television, like the Halfhand changes in S2 or...all of Arya's story. I'm fine with no puppies, no Arstan, etc.

They also do re-reads and in general it's an awesome casual podcast that will make you laugh multiple times.

Helmholtz

Major Sos Spoilers..

Anyone who takes enjoyment of someone murdering a woman for lying is a sociopath. I'll be so glad if they change that because I thought it made Tyrion completely unlikable. It would be even worse in the TV show because TV show Shae is kind-hearted.
ASOS
Didn't she also sleep with his dad though? Whore or not, that shit ain't cool.

Yonafunu

Regarding Cat;

I think the best way to do it is have the season 3 epilogue as follows;
Cat's corpse being dragged out of the river by Thoros of Myr accomponied with the line;
'Mayhaps the fish will revenge the wolf'

(or something similar)

IMO it's less about it being positive and more the fact that SOS
it's really awkward to have an audience think a character is dead for a whole offseason and presumably part of the next. It is also trickier to tell the story of how the resurrection happened on TV, if you introduce her as late as she is introduced in the book then you either have to flashback or use some awful heavy handed expositional dialogue to explain it. It's not like the books where you have the contextual clues from Arya's wolf dreams to hint that something is coming, and when it does come, it's in the epilogue, you don't have to wait for a whole year for it to happen. I actually think Arya's wolf dreams can be a good way to end the season if you don't want to go all the way and introduce Lady Stoneheart in full, you just introduce the knowledge that Beric and the Red priest can revive people, then have Nymeria find Cat's body in the river and drags it to shore in Arya's dream and is scared off by Beric's group coming, then fade to black
Probably the most suspenseful way to end the season.

ASOS
I agree that it would be weird to have a character completely disappear and brought back a while later, especially a major character. It's the reason they're including Theon in this season. I would also be fine with what both of you suggested as alternatives, a more 'teaser' kind of epilogue, with Thoros finding her body or something like that. I just don't want it to be like, the Red Wedding just happened, everybody's devestated, and then one episode later it's 'Cat's back!'. It would mess up the Red Wedding's power, which is to make you lose hope. Like I said before, if you don't get the time to actually come to terms with what happened at the RW, and believe Cat's dead, her return won't be as powerful.

Zabka

This thread is horrifically void of any GIFs. Someone needs to fix this.

You're right. Here is my finest gif in your honor.

iMS6Y5oAaubxZ.gif

ASOS
I agree that it would be weird to have a character completely disappear and brought back a while later, especially a major character. It's the reason they're including Theon in this season. I would also be fine with what both of you suggested as alternatives, a more 'teaser' kind of epilogue, with Thoros finding her body or something like that. I just don't want it to be like, the Red Wedding just happened, everybody's devestated, and then one episode later it's 'Cat's back!'. It would mess up the Red Wedding's power, which is to make you lose hope. Like I said before, if you don't get the time to actually come to terms with what happened at the RW, and believe Cat's dead, her return won't be as powerful.

ASOS
I think it depends on how much of AFFC/ADWD they're going to be pushing into season 4. I don't think there's enough from ASOS to make a whole season out of after the RW happens, so the Cat reveal has to happen either at the ending of season 3, or the beginning of season 4. It'd just be weird for it to be a cliffhanger at the end of the 3rd or 4th episode of season 4 or some shit. It has to be a megaton event. So I could actually see it happening at the end of this season for that reason. Though I do agree with you that having it happen an episode later will lessen the impact, having it happen too late might have the same effect. I think it would also work well as the cold open of Season 4 maybe.

TCRS

Banned
I don't know, maybe I may be giving this episode a bad review because my evening generally was shit. I was so hyped for it, I ordered the pizza - it was burnt and very crispy. The cigar didn't taste very good (in fact I didn't taste anything, a waste of a good cigar) and I had no chocolate at home.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Enosh

ASOS
Tyrion got on my "fuck that guy" list after asos and adwd made him into even more of a douche, I think the description of him by Tywin is pretty accurate, he is just consumed by hate and envy

CloudWolf

Major Sos Spoilers..

Anyone who takes enjoyment of someone murdering a woman for lying is a sociopath.
ASOS
I don't know, if someone who I completely trusted ends up betraying me, testifying against me in a trial and being one of the main reasons why I'm exiled/sentenced to death, I probably wouldn't let her go scot-free either.

GavinGT

Banned
What exactly was so shitty? And which TV show is doing it better?

I think it's just noticeably lower quality than what we're used to seeing in movies these days, and that's a little off-putting.

EDIT: I'm mostly talking about the dragon scenes.

I think the actor for Mance was convincing, as in it didn't feel like he was reading lines, but just not what I hoped his character would be (and that haircut was fucking awful)

hoos30

Anyone else worried that they're going to chicken out with (ASOS)
Shae, Tywin, and Tyrion? They seem to be wanting her to be a fairly sympathetic character, especially with how closer she is getting to Sansa. I wonder if they will change her death?

That wouldn't be a bad thing. What happened in ASOS with her is exceptionally corny and out of character.

Dysun

The non book reader thread
I get a chuckle out of every "with Dany bringing to Unsullied to Westeros..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom