• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The non book reader thread
I get a chuckle out of every "with Dany bringing to Unsullied to Westeros..."

The other one that got me is the Lord Commander's line about "when winter gets here" or something to that effect. ADWD?
See you in three years...

I'm getting tired of shitty CGI in that show. Otherwise, good episode.

The CGI in this show is generally excellent, even in last night's episode. Even if it was mediocre (which it's not), it's objectively wrong to describe it as "shitty."

Talon

a5882c28fc2da37e29985d8279fed018.jpg

never forget
Le Chiffre!

Major Sos Spoilers..

Anyone who takes enjoyment of someone murdering a woman for lying is a sociopath. I'll be so glad if they change that because I thought it made Tyrion completely unlikable. It would be even worse in the TV show because TV show Shae is kind-hearted.

You are completely misunderstanding my point.

I am not saying people get off on the act of violence
Tyrion is a fan favorite. The audience will be crushed by Shae's betrayal (it is far more than lying, her testimony is his death sentence) of him despite her "angelic" portrayal on the show. You would be lying to yourself if you think the audience wouldn't love Tyrion's vengeance on both Tywin AND Shae. Hell, I threw my hands in the fucking air when I finished that chapter in the books. I can't wait to see it play out on television even as much as it will suck to lose such a well written and portrayed character like Tywin Lannister (i couldn't care less about the loss of Shae, her purpose in the show for me right now is her betrayal of Tyrion. The actress doesn't elevate her to any level beyond her character in the book like Charles Dance does for Tywin). You are basically trying to argue that the audience won't enjoy to watch Joffrey scratch at his throat and die painfully. Is it going to be wrong when everyones cheering for a teenager to die? Immature as he may be?
Thats entertainment. Do you only watch Romantic Comedies or something?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
A slow premiere, but a good one. Better than the second season premiere for sure. As everyone already mentioned, Tyrion and Tywin's scene was great and I also really liked Margaery's Princess Diana moment. The dragons looked great and the overall look of the show is gorgeous. Easily one of the best looking shows on TV. I also appreciated the fact that they didn't try to cram in every single character. They tried to give the narrative a little more breathing room, and even though they didn't succeed 100% (Robb's scenes felt tacked on, as did the bit with Sam), I'm glad that they're at least trying.

The Giant looked pretty good, though I seem to remember them being described differently in the books. (ASOS)
Like giant sasquaches or something? I was looking forward to seeing that. :(

ASOS thoughts on Danny

They're cruising right through the Danny story. I was honestly expecting the unsullied to be in the last episodes, with her giving the order to be her end to S3.

Haha, me too!
I thought for sure that's how they'd end her storyline at the end of the season.

That scene was awesome, almost exactly from the book although I wonder (asos spoilers)
if and when they will reveal that she could understand what he was saying

(ASOS)
I thought it was clear that Daenerys did understand what he was saying, judging by her posturing and facial expressions during that scene. She'll probably reveal herself just before she Dracarys' his ass.

Yup. Boss. Who/what was that girl that tried to kill Dany?

She's Daenery's rival.*

Pokemon reference :D

Ros: Allow me this forced exposition.

I actually didn't mind that scene at all. A moment with Ros where she's not being used to fill the show's gratuitous nudity quotient?! Whoa. It gave us a little bit of the commoner's perspective which is something the show often lacks.

I liked Cersei's shout out to the book with the line about Tyrion's scar... "I'd heard your nose was cut off".

I really enjoyed that line. Just before she said that I was thinking to myself "Man, Tyrion's scar looks really tame."

Tormund was a bit of a disappointment. Maybe he'll get better later on.

Yeah, he underwhelmed me as well. I was hoping for someone a little more jocular and fun, but there are still 9 episodes left for him to prove himself the fellow we all know and love!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Does anyone have a link to that cover of the opening song that sounds like it's several dudes just singing "dah, dah"? It's hilarious, but I can't find a link.

Magnus

Ugh I typed [spioler] when I was rushing once, and caught it only a full minute later.

Luckily no one had posted after me yet.

Lesson learned: Preview Post when using tags. Every time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Wait what happened? I'm totally lost on what got spilled by accident. Someone PM me please?

You realize the entire post is still there, right? He just broke the spoiler tag and then fixed it.

GavinGT

Banned
That reminds me, how is Dany supposed to pay for these soldiers she wants to buy? Are we to assume that she looted enough from Xaro's house to pay for a ship and an army?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Fear not, I am a reader. That happens to me all the time, though usually because I spell spoiler spioler as I'm typing too fast.

*whew* That was close! >__<

Ugh I typed [spioler] when I was rushing once, and caught it only a full minute later.

Luckily no one had posted after me yet.

Lesson learned: Preview Post when using tags. Every time.

I did Preview the Post and I still didn't catch it. :*(

Wait what happened? I'm totally lost on what got spilled by accident. Someone PM me please?

DrForester's post
ASOS thoughts on Danny

They're cruising right through the Danny story. I was honestly expecting the unsullied to be in the last episodes, with her giving the order to be her end to S3.

Nuklear

Banned
I don't understand why there isn't a thread that isn't reliant on spoiler tags. A lot of people mess them up and there should be a thread that shouldn't require them. Just make the title of the thread really clear for non-book readers to stay out.

Fury Sense

Identifying specific events as significant or as different from the book is, to me, a spoiler -- even if you spoiler tag the explanation. It's fun to discuss, speculate, and analyze, but when the book readers do it, it's like sparknotes giving the answers away. Same thing happens in the walking dead threads =| I will see myself out

Dysun

Identifying specific events as significant or as different from the book is, to me, a spoiler -- even if you spoiler tag the explanation. It's fun to discuss, speculate, and analyze, but when the book readers do it, it's like sparknotes giving the answers away. Same thing happens in the walking dead threads =| I will see myself out

There's a non book reader thread

Brashnir

Ros: Allow me this forced exposition.

WHY DOES SHE STILL EXIST

The episode ended pretty great though. No Strong Belwas fucking sucks though, FUCK. The time used for that worthless Ros scene could have been used for Belwas.

She exists for something to look at during exposition. That's why she has always existed. in about 75% of scenes with naked ladies, somebody is talking about something that was an inner monologue in the book.

Lothar

Banned
SoS major spoilers.

You are completely misunderstanding my point.

I am not saying people get off on the act of violence
Tyrion is a fan favorite. The audience will be crushed by Shae's betrayal (it is far more than lying, her testimony is his death sentence) of him despite her "angelic" portrayal on the show. You would be lying to yourself if you think the audience wouldn't love Tyrion's vengeance on both Tywin AND Shae. Hell, I threw my hands in the fucking air when I finished that chapter in the books. I can't wait to see it play out on television even as much as it will suck to lose such a well written and portrayed character like Tywin Lannister (i couldn't care less about the loss of Shae, her purpose in the show for me right now is her betrayal of Tyrion. The actress doesn't elevate her to any level beyond her character in the book like Charles Dance does for Tywin). You are basically trying to argue that the audience won't enjoy to watch Joffrey scratch at his throat and die painfully. Is it going to be wrong when everyones cheering for a teenager to die? Immature as he may be?
Thats entertainment. Do you only watch Romantic Comedies or something?

Her testimony was not a death sentence. That's a ridiculous interpretation of what happened. Read those chapters again. Cersei produced a mountain of evidence against against him and he had no witnesses. Everyone believed he did it. Nothing she said would have changed a thing. He murdered her for lying, plain and simple. Perhaps and likely because the queen scared her into doing it. This is a safe bet since Varys also testified against Tyrion and he knew who Shae was to him. Or it could be because she knew he was dead no matter what she said and thought this was the best way to save herself. But even if she did it for jewels, which would be totally impossible to believe of the TV show Shae, so what? That hardly deserves being murdered. It seems pretty bizarre to cheer for that.

Trasher

Why are people concerned about spoilers in this thread? I thought that's the whole point of this one...

I thought the other thread is the non spoiler thread. Why would you be in here when that one exists? lol

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The CG is usually good...but am I the only one who noticed how BAD the water looked in some of the shots? It looked like a slideshow running at 3 frames per second in the background.

Trasher

By the way, on an Inside HBO thing that just played [ASoS/Season 3]
it flat out shows the Hound cutting Beric near in half. Why would you show that?! Kinda bummed out that some people will see that.

Eidan

Why are people concerned about spoilers in this thread? I thought that's the whole point of this one...

I thought the other thread is the non spoiler thread. Why would you be in here when that one exists? lol

This is the thread for people who have read the books, so it's the one where discussion of the books are allowed. You use spoiler tags because not everyone may have read all of the books.

SoS major spoilers.

Her testimony was not a death sentence. That's a ridiculous interpretation of what happened. Read those chapters again. Cersei produced a mountain of evidence against against him and he had no witnesses. Everyone believed he did it. Nothing she said would have changed a thing. He murdered her for lying, plain and simple. Perhaps and likely because the queen scared her into doing it. This is a safe bet since Varys also testified against Tyrion and he knew who Shae was to him. Or it could be because she knew he was dead no matter what she said and thought this was the best way to save herself. But even if she did it for jewels, which would be totally impossible to believe of the TV show Shae, so what? That hardly deserves being murdered. It seems pretty bizarre to cheer for that.

Meh, a betrayal like that definitely justifies murder in the eyes of the betrayed. After how well he treats her, she lies knowing it will completely fuck him over, then he catches her in his dad's bed, whether she doesn't show an ounce of regret, and still to that point trying to seduce him. She stabbed him in the heart harder than anyone had done, and it was the straw that broke the camels back. It's righteous vengeance, both she and Tywin deserved to die. There's a limit to how much Tyrion can get completely fucked over with no repercussions. The problem I had with the books is that I didn't feel like those that did the most evil acts got whats coming to them, and the good guys always got screwed over so brutally. ie, the red wedding.

Atsumi

[ASOS]
I'm kind of excited to see Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail but I'm sure they won't be half as magnificent as I imagined them.

Also, adding my thoughts while reading the second half of ASOS, Spoilers for that obviously:
Arya and The Hound kick butt together, ARYA HAS NEEDLE BACK. JON STARK WAT (oh false alarm), Good guy Jaime giving his sword to Brienne, and saving his brother. Tyrion, the pot is the last place you should slay a man. Was Tywin doin' Shae? Peter, you dirty dog.

These thoughts are not in order.

Trasher

This is the thread for people who have read the books, so it's the one where discussion of the books are allowed. You use spoiler tags because not everyone may have read all of the books.

This is just my opinion then I guess, but if you haven't read up to at least ASoS, then I would personally get the hell out of here lol. I was spoiled on certain things before I read all of the books. It's no fun. :( Just stick to the other thread for your own good!

It also sounds like there will be a decent amount of things included this season that actually take place after ASoS.

[ASOS]
I'm kind of excited to see Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail but I'm sure they won't be half as magnificent as I imagined them.

Also, adding my thoughts while reading the second half of ASOS, Spoilers for that obviously:
Arya and The Hound kick butt together, ARYA HAS NEEDLE BACK. JON STARK WAT (oh false alarm), Good guy Jaime giving his sword to Brienne, and saving his brother. Tyrion, the pot is the last place you should slay a man. Was Tywin doin' Shae? Peter, you dirty dog.

These thoughts are not in order.

Yes. Tywin was doing Shae. How the tables have turned! What are you referring to when you say "JON STARK"? Refresh me!

Iksenpets

Banned
This is just my opinion then I guess, but if you haven't read up to at least ASoS, then I would personally get the hell out of here lol. I was spoiled on certain things before I read all of the books. It's no fun. :( Just stick to the other thread for your own good!

It also sounds like there will be a decent amount of things included this season that actually take place after ASoS.

Yes. Tywin was doing Shae. How the tables have turned! What are you referring to when you say "JON STARK"? Refresh me!

I assume he meant the part where ASOS
Stannis offers to legitimize Jon as a Stark and name him Lord of Winterfell in exchange for declaring for Stannis and converting to the Red God, but Jon refuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom