• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentech

The key thing is the way she's portrayed. That scene (and everything leading up to it) makes it seem as though she has learned absolutely nothing this entire time, that's she's just a dumb kid who has made absolutely no progress. Her character is pretty much the same as it was in the first season.
Lol, reread the books. She makes stupid/childish mistakes the whole way.
She's not exactly the bad ass everyone thinks she is / hopes she will be.

Forkball

I don't get why people hate on Cat and Sansa's stories. Yeah, they aren't twirling swords about, but they are some of the most relateable and emotion-invoking characters in the show. They serve as a good foil to the cast filled with crazies.

My review:

All the scenes with Joffrey or Margery were fantastic. Joffrey is still as unlikeable as can be, but that moment when he was excited to explain how his crossbow worked was one of his best moments. Even when he can't contain his excitement his is still a horrible monster.

Ygritte needs to chill with the "You've never seen a *insert incredible magical creation* before?" NO SHIT HE HASN'T STOP BEING SO PRETENTIOUS.

Really liked Arya's scenes, and I'm glad her cover got blown after a season of "WHO IS THIS MYSTERIOUS GIRL?"

Jojen Reed's actor looked so damn familiar and it was bugging me the entire episode. I looked it up and still don't recall how he is familiar, but I'm a bit surprised to learn he is Ferb from Phineas and Ferb. Also why did they recast Bran with a 35 year old man?

I cringed at the first Theon scene. Heads getting chopped off I'm ok with, but anythiing with finger or toenails...

No Davos or Dany scenes? I don't care if they got two scenes each last episode, more!

Brashnir

Series Spoilers including up to ADWD
I'm impressed they'd make that reference with bran and the crow so early. Also they've already started with Reek? Jesus they're going FAST

In the book, his whole story goes dark for a long time and he returns as Reek. We're seeing the creation of Reek as it happens rather than learning about it all after the fact. I guess they wanted to use the actor they already had employed.

Strax

It's been a consistent problem, the North seems to lack scale and quality direction. Perhaps it has something to do with being so far off location. Do all the directors go out to Iceland (or wherever its being shot)? Or is it just one director shooting all the sequences at once? Being so cold they might not have time to get different takes and such?

It's not that cold

Ingeniero

I liked it, will watch again later.

However, I don't like the fact that Bran's actor has grown so much in the past months, it's like a different person. And his voice damn, it sucks now. I know puberty and all, but considering that this is right after the S2 finale, feels weird that the actor changed so much....

Olenna was perfect, so were the Reeds.

LProtag

I'm happy Jojen mentioned his father. Did anyone notice how Jojen mentioned he had seen the rebellion though?

[Series Spoilers/Theories]
This could be huge in terms of the Tower of Joy. I wonder if they'll have Jojen be the one to reveal what happened there, or if he's hinting that his father will show up in the series as they tend not to mention/include characters that aren't extremely important.

Herla

I haven't read the books in a while so maybe I'm missing something, but...how was Jojen able to see the rebellion if he wasn't even born? Can he see the past?

Eidan

An alright episode. The show continues to impress in regards to it sets and cinematography. The highlight of the episode for me was the Olenna/Margaery/Sansa scene and the Catelyn scene. Not sure how anyone can walk away from seeing the latter and have anything but praise

In regards to the Tyrion scene. Show/ASOS
It seems like they're laying the groundwork for the beginnings of Shae's betrayal, with her hint of jealousy in regards to Tyrion finding Sansa attractive. With all the hand wringing about how Shae would be handled, I'd think a lot of you concerned readers would be pleased with the scene.

The slow fighting isn't really bothering me. I think they're going for a more realistic, these-swords-are-heavy approach. That was a fine fight.
The sword fight was fucking awful. Otherwise good episode.
There are very few movies or tv shows that have realistic sword fighting anyway. But a real fight is not spectacular or fun to see. Real fights lasted maybe 10 seconds before one of fighters was taken out of action. Kingdom of Heaven has good fights (still Hollywood stuff though). Spartacus, Vikings as well as Game of Thrones are just comical at times.

Linius

Gifs :)

ibpxM3g8hG0hKn.gif

iRJLAo4UubC4g.gif
ibgdi4GjyR6NGS.gif

ibsXfZabk4kFGF.gif
iHjxYsEJkG2bL.gif

Seriously can't believe they topped Finchy last season with Gareth Keenan Invetigates With Hawks this season.

Even though watching it directly after Mad Men is like reading Jalopnik after reading George Saunders, those casting coups alone kind of make it the best series in the history of television.

Huh I thought they allowed him to see the future, not the past. That's what I get for reading books in a foreign language...

Future Books
I don't think they ever dreamed of any of the past stuff. Bran had to be hooked up to the Tree to see the past events. I'm betting they changed some stuff for the show.

ultron87

I wonder if the show could be effectively edited to have fewer characters per episode. Everything just feels so disjointed right now where you're just checking in with everyone for five minutes.

I actually liked the Cat scene in this episode. It was nice to see she cared about Jon.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too, despite her being one of my least liked characters. She's not a great person, but she at least owns up to it without disillusion.

The whole "this is punishment by the gods for what I've done" comment makes me dislike her again though, showing that she still thinks she's the center of the world and knows best.

Question;
I finished ASOS a few months ago, but was it always Bolton's men who caught Jaime and Brienne? I remember the leader's name being Hoat or whatever, but I don't remember them being Bolton's bannermen.

Was also kind of disappointed with the Jaime-Brienne fight scene. They made Brienne look way too formidable. Yes, Jaime is tired, beaten, etc. But they just made Brienne look like the terminator.

Eidan

Question;
I finished ASOS a few months ago, but was it always Bolton's men who caught Jaime and Brienne? I remember the leader's name being Hoat or whatever, but I don't remember them being Bolton's bannermen.

ASOS
It was the Brave Companions who captured Brienne and Jaime in the book. They seem to have been cut from the show.

What is up with the room Tyrion met Shae in? I thought that Tyrion now lived in a crappy small room. It seemed like his old room when he was the Hand of the King.

Man..the book series is so amazing but this show is starting to push towards the side of dull for me. I can't quite put my finger on why. I think mostly it's just the depth of the characters is so much within their thoughts and extended through George's lovely prose and it simply isn't translating well to television at all. I really can't put my finger on it.

Eidan

And that means ASOS
They're TECHNICALLY Lannister bannermen, no? Didn't Tywin involve them in the first place?

ASOS
At this point I think it can be assumed that as far as the guys who captured Brienne and Jaime are concerned, they are still Stark bannermen. I see no reason why Bolton would divulge his machinations with them.

chiba

Jojen Reed's actor looked so damn familiar and it was bugging me the entire episode. I looked it up and still don't recall how he is familiar, but I'm a bit surprised to learn he is Ferb from Phineas and Ferb.

He was the little red headed kid that sings at the end of Love Actually(Liam Neeson's son in the movie), that where I recognized him from.

Linius

damn kids growing up and puberty and all.... loved the episode.. couldn't unsee or unhear brans age increase though :(

His voice mostly. He sounds so manly now.

And the actor who plays Jojen is still in my mind as 'that kid' from Love Actually. But apparently he's a year older than me :p

Zareth

Jojen Reed's actor looked so damn familiar and it was bugging me the entire episode. I looked it up and still don't recall how he is familiar, but I'm a bit surprised to learn he is Ferb from Phineas and Ferb. Also why did they recast Bran with a 35 year old man?

His actor reminds me of Evan Peters who played Kit Walker from American Horror Story. They look like they could almost be brothers.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1404239/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

Dysun

LOL came in here and people are talking about Vikings.

Yep. Another +1 for Vikings. Its pretty damn good so far and GoT fans should definitely check it out. If only it were on HBO for some hot shield maiden action...

Back to GoT though, this episode was good. I really need to rewatch last season's finale because I couldn't remember what the hell was going on in half of the character's arcs. Not hard to follow though, just need a refresher. Also, hoping next weeks ep starts right where we left off.

God yes, Vikings is stuck on History for some odd reason. Ragnar's wife is really hot and would love to see her on HBO

Fight choreography is still the best for Spartacus, but I didn't hate the Brienne/Jaime fight at all really.

Where's Needle?

EDIT: Did Arya lose it when they were captured and Yoren was killed?

[aSoS]
Are we past the part where she gets it back in the books? Is there still hope of that happening in the show
?

pr0cs

Pretty disappointing episode, I don't feel like spoiler tagging a large post so I'll just say that it was one of the weakest episodes of the whole series IMO.

Ianan

GAF, I'm still yet to read A Dance with Dragons and it sounds like Theon is in episode 2. Are the scenes involved from ADWD?

I enjoyed the episode. It really felt like another setup episode but from what people that have seen the first 4 episodes, 3 and 4 start to get things really moving. I didn't find it any more disjointed than most other episodes. But really, this show works so much better when you watch 2 or 3 episodes in chunks. Judging it on an episode to episode basis is really like judging a book chapter to chapter, or judging The Wire on an episode to episode basis. If you're trying to approach it that way too much, it doesn't view very well.

My only major nitpicks were the intro of the Reeds, the worthless Shae scene, whatever they're doing with Robb and Cat and the Night's Watch.

With the Reeds, I was just mostly distracted by Bran's puberty voice. DAMN. He got OLD. Thats the thing with child actors growing up- Arya and Sansa are clearly getting bigger, but their voices still sound mostly the same. Yet with Bran, you can tell he's hitting puberty because his voice is all over the place.

But with the Reeds, I just wish they gave them some sort of foreshadowing or something to set up their appearance. they quite literally come out of nowhere. At least give some reason as to why they were looking for Bran or how they found him. [ACoK/ASoS]
As I recall from the books, they go to Winterfell to meet Bran at a feast. Just having the Reeds mention they were headed to Winterfell to meet Bran but found it destroyed would have been fine.

Shae... That scene I guess has some purpose potentially. But meh. I like Tyrion but the Shae stuff on this show has been dreadful from day one.

I don't know where they're going with Robb and Cat and how they're handling the news from Winterfell. [ACoK/ASoS]
Why are they not simply having Robb and Cat think Bran and Rickon are dead? Thats a HUGE part of what drives Cat to do the things she does in the books- that is the main reason that drives her desperation to release Jaime in the books. And probably a huge reason she turns into Stoneheart- even at that stage she thinks every one of her children is likely dead, except maybe Sansa. Are the writers just waiting to drop that bomb on them at a later point?

I can't help but feel like they're maybe going to try and integrate Theon into however they resolve the Bran/Rickon news. But I'm not sure how exactly. Especially since I think they have to be careful in revealing Ramsay's identity too soon or else it might become clear way before the RW that the Bolton's are traitors. The books set things up in such a way that Ramsay seemed like a loose cannon before the RW, kind of going rogue from Roose before the RW, so maybe that'll be the angle they take. I don't know...

With Sam and the Night's Watch, the scene itself was fine but the presentation and complete lack of tension and suspense with everything they've been doing north of Wall is baffling to me. Go back to last season with Halfhand and Jon- [ACoK]
the material with Halfhand is super suspenseful and thrilling as they scout the Wildlings only to be chased down and backed into a corner. Instead in the show we get Jon trudging around with Ygritte on a leash for a couple episodes and the Night's Watch guys looking like dolts.

Then this season, instead of chaotically fleeing for their lives after getting ambushed and decimated by Others and wights, the Night's Watch guys are just calmly walking back to the Wall like its nothing. And in that, on a pretty tame looking day, Sam collapses and claims he can't go on? I always pictured that flight from the Fist of the First Men as some desperate shit, trudging along in a whiteout, barley able to see in front of yourself with White Walkers and Wights hot on your tail. Sam collapsing and wanting to just lay down and die makes sense in the books. In the show it looks like Sam is just lazy. Maybe part of the problem is that they didn't show any of the Others actually ripping up the Night's Watch on the Fist. So you don't have much tension since we didn't see any of their destructive power first hand- they told us but didn't show.

That's probably the biggest problem I have with the show: they treat characters as tools rather than...well, actual characters.
The story is not likely to change (or, possibly, worsen) if Mance is not a bard or Vargo doesn't have a lisp or whatever.
They need a character to capture Jaime and a character to be the king beyond the wall, that's all. They fit their role, the story progresses.

But everything feels so...soulless. Empty. In my opinion it's stuff like that that enriches the world, much more than scale or budget.

Yeah... within reason. I mean, I can understand why they're doing what they're doing in some instances. [ASoS]
Like if they introduced Daario with blue hair and all that, people would likely laugh him off the show. But getting rid of the Bloody Mummers? Eh. Even having this Loche guy who is basically Vargo Hoat, why not give him a lisp? Maybe it sounds too dumb on the show?

On the other hand, I really like how they handled Thoros. He isn't exactly some super vibrant character in the books beyond his plot role, so they basically merged him together with Tom O' Sevens with the whole bard angle. I liked that. I just wish we had some more vibrant characters like that who had a quirky personality. Vargo and the Brave Companions would be precisely such characters.

I will miss the Bloody Mummers though. [All books]
They add some nice variety and character to the world. They're nice to have to show that you've got more Bronn like mercenaries out in the world since Westeros is at war and where war is, they have business. The whole mercenary group angle sets up all of the mercenary action you get later on with Dany and later Aegon with the Golden Company.

GAF, I'm still yet to read A Dance with Dragons and it sounds like Theon is in episode 2. Are the scenes involved from ADWD?

Not quite. You know in ASoS that Theon is being tortured at the Dreadfort and that is what's basically being shown on the show. Chronologically, nothing that was shown would have been in ADwD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom