• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Altazor

I can't believe this thread isn't blowing up over the [not-in-ASoS-or-any-other-book]
made up motivation for Cat feeling guilt over praying for Jon's death
. Unless it was in the books and I don't remember it?

not in the books, but I didn't mind the change. I liked that scene.

Zabka

Yeah the Cat stuff didn't bother me at all. Depending on how they handled the aging up from the books she was either a teenager or in her early twenties at the time. Considering all the other stuff going on in her life then, and the way she acted towards Jon in the first season, it made sense.

Watching the crossbow scene again right now. Margaery is really great in the show.

Yeah and if you watched the preview, [ADWD]
it looks like they replace the escape he recalls in ADWD with Kyra with Ramsey instead. Which was all a setup.

Pretty interesting way to adapt that. I've been wondering how they would handle all of that material. Poor Theon.
Poor Theon my ass. That little fucker deserves every single demeaning thing that happens to him.

Nuklear

Banned
I can't believe this thread isn't blowing up over the [not-in-ASoS-or-any-other-book]
made up motivation for Cat feeling guilt over praying for Jon's death
. Unless it was in the books and I don't remember it?

No, it was not in the books. That scene made me hate her even more. I despise her so much.

What's wrong with it?

Oh, it didn't bother me either, personally. I just know how sometimes people get pretty grumpy with book changes around here and I expected it to be a bigger deal.

Watching the encore, and I'm seeing the Joffrey/Marg bedroom scene and when he says he "considered making Renley's perversion punishable by death" I like how there's just a flicker of reaction in her eyes before she plays along as she probably thinks of Loras.

Jojen's actor reminds me a little of a kid version of Benedict Cumberbatch.

Oh, it didn't bother me either, personally. I just know how sometimes people get pretty grumpy with book changes around here and I expected it to be a bigger deal.

Watching the encore, and I'm seeing the Joffrey/Marg bedroom scene and when he says he "considered making Renley's perversion punishable by death" I like how there's just a flicker of reaction in her eyes before she plays along as she probably thinks of Loras.

Jojen's actor reminds me a little of a kid version of Benedict Cumberbatch.

Natalie Dormer is so freaking good. That scene was fantastic, particularly watching Joff catch her off her guard and her recovery.

brentech

I really enjoyed that episode quite a bit. Will watch a second time tomorrow probably.

Funny, the guy that approached Theon was on that show Misfits, as was the actress that plays Cat.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is it just me, or did they change the Tyrell pronunciation this season from TIR-ull to tie-RELL?
I don't really pay attention to things like that because I just assume it's because people from different parts of the continent pronounce things differently.

I hope that in the next episode, they [aSoS]
really drive home who the Brotherhood is and come straight out and say "these are the dudes Ned sent out that one time in Season 1, this is what became of that group".

Pkaz01

I hope that in the next episode, they [aSoS]
really drive home who the Brotherhood is and come straight out and say "these are the dudes Ned sent out that one time in Season 1, this is what became of that group".

ASOS
Probably won't be next episode probably episode 4 according to the synopsis's that came out

Same, and her arch being different from the book makes it harder to deal with.
its a shame really they took a lot of the emotional and character building scenes out

and I am getting tired of Marg every episode we get it she is good at manipulating joffrey, I do love how diana riggs played the queen of thorns that is going to be a pleasure to watch.

I'd also like to point out that they pretty much condensed ASOS
the first 5 arya chapters in ASOS into one episode

Hated how the Winterfell attack was informed to Rob and Catelyn. ASoS
leaving them hope of Bran and Rick being alive instead of contributing to the sense of dread and despair of Catelyn and the Starks portrayed in the book.

jett

D-Member
Meh episode. Going through the motions as usual.

Regarding the changes, they've made a bunch. So there are no Brave Companions at all in the show huh? And I don't get why they've made it so people have hope that Bran and Rickon are alive. In the book the "know" they are dead. The purpose of the Cat scene as I saw it was to justify the paychecks of those two actresses. Same as the scene between Tyrion and Shae. Too much of that bullshit happened in S2 as well. Useless filler.

edit: they still don't know how to shoot action. And SOS/S3 spoiler(book change):
The guy that allegedly seeks to free Theon is the actor cast as Ramsay, for those that didn't know. :p
Not sure where they're going with the Theon stuff but seems interesting enough for now.

Overall, fantastic episode. The locations where they shot some of these scenes were outstanding. The bridge where Brienne and Jaime fought was gorgeous. I do miss the Brave Companions- I was looking forward to hearing a lisp. Also, that is not how I envisioned Thoros.

Regardless, I'm happy they're making some changes from the book as it gives me something to look forward to. For seasons 1+2, I had not read the books but then marathoned through them before this season. Don't regret it and I think it adds to my viewing personally.

Levi

Banned
leaving them hope of Bran and Rick being alive instead of contributing to the sense of dread and despair of Catelyn and the Starks portrayed in the book.

It was a bad change in season two they could have ameliorated some here, instead they doubled down on their mistake.

cj_iwakura

ASOS
The way I saw it, it was like Robb knew they were dead and only told Catelyn they could be alive to give her hope.

Dysun

Margaery and Olenna are the highlights of the night. They are perfect, and I really enjoyed the Margaery/Joffrey bedroom talk. I felt that tonight was a little rushed at times, but overall good.

As a book reader I didn't mind the changes done to Cat at all really. The Reeds are pretty much spot-on as well, especially Jojen who comes across the same as I imagined. Thoros was colorful and I didn't mind the streamlining of Arya's beginning ASOS chapters.

Shae and Talisa are cringe worthy

Meh episode. Going through the motions as usual.

Regarding the changes, they've made a bunch. So there are no Brave Companions at all in the show huh? And I don't get why they've made it so people have hope that Bran and Rickon are alive. In the book the "know" they are dead. The purpose of the Cat scene as I saw it was to justify the paychecks of those two actresses. Same as the scene between Tyrion and Shae. Too much of that bullshit happened in S2 as well. Useless filler.

I definitely felt as though the Tyrion scene was a "hey, we need a Tyrion scene" because it didn't do anything. Served no purpose other than to get Tyrion on the screen. And Shae... got damn she cannot act for shit.

Dormer is killing Margaery (or however you spell it). Great job, but she's gonna start eating screen time too because she is flooring everyone else.

Rigg was great. Damn I don't think I've seen her since The Avengers so thankfully you all here in the thread pointed out who it was.
ffs I'm old

And I'm glad to see other people point out things that changed between the books and the show. I read ASoS about a hundred years ago (when it first came out) so I don't remember a lot of the details. I tend to squint at things and wonder if my mind if playing tricks on me or if the show is doing it.

Just finished watching this

Loved the Reeds, Jamie - Brienne fight and ending was nicely done too.

Jeoff's scenes were great. Queen of Thorns was good too but was surprised by Margaery's presence at the table.

Tyrion - Shae scene was useless. Cat - Rob's wifey scene could have been skipped, but it was great to hear some remorse for how she felt about Jon Snow.

Still going through setup stages, would be nice to see some action next episode!

I really don't see why it was necessary to bring in the Reeds instead of just rolling them into Osha or something. There are already too many characters for a TV show and they seemed like a relatively easy cut.

Full series
By ADWD they appear to serve practically no purpose anymore. Unless including them in the show now confirms they'll serve further purpose in the coming books.

I really don't see why it was necessary to bring in the Reeds instead of just rolling them into Osha or something. There are already too many characters and they seemed like an easy cut.

Full series
By ADWD they appear to serve practically no purpose anymore. Unless including them in the show now confirms they'll serve further purpose in the coming books.

Reeds are too important to cut...
I can't see how they serve no purpose and I am sure they will be involved in future books too.
. Especially if you consider that Howland Series Spoiler -
Is the only person who knows the truth about Jon Snow or whatever else happened in that tower

Massa

ASOS
I'm sure she'll be informed of their "death" eventually and it'll probably tie that directly to Lady Stoneheart's revelation. People just have to give it time, they pace things differently on the TV show for a reason.

Reeds are too important to cut...I can't see how they serve no purpose
and I am sure they will be involved in future books too.
. Especially if you consider that Howland Series Spoiler -
Is the only person who knows the truth about Jon Snow or whatever else happened in that tower

Series
Considering this hasn't even been mentioned in the show they could simply change it to someone else.

As for the siblings themselves they seemed to only be set up to get Bran from point A to B.

LordCanti

I really don't see why it was necessary to bring in the Reeds instead of just rolling them into Osha or something. There are already too many characters for a TV show and they seemed like a relatively easy cut.

Full series

Full series
the Reed's are likely to be very important, aren't they? Their Dad probably knows who Jon Snow's real parents are and is one of the only good people left in the North with any military force (unless I'm forgetting something). Meera might also be a love interest for Bran.

Ah k, and where does this Queen of thorns name come up in book?

Speaking of the episode -

I liked the scene with Margary and Joffry talking bout killing the gays.

Marg was totally mad that he insulted her brother. Kept her composure though.

And very interesting they explained the animal/premonition dreams.

scosher

This was a great introduction for the Queen of Thorne and the Brotherhood of Banners, especially Thoros and Anguy. Jojen and Meera had a great entrance, but I felt a lot of Jojen's dialogue fell completely flat, It also must've been extremely confusing for non-readers. It's too jarring for these extremely mysterious children to appear out of nowhere in S3. I still think they should've been introduced in S2.

This was a great introduction for the Queen of Thorne and the Brotherhood of Banners, especially Thoros and Anguy. Jojen and Meera had a great entrance, but I felt a lot of Jojen's dialogue fell completely flat, It also must've been extremely confusing for non-readers. It's too jarring for these extremely mysterious children to appear out of nowhere in S3. I still think they should've been introduced in S2.

I believe Bran mentioned about Ned telling him a stories about Robert's Rebellion. But yes, introducing them in S2 would have been better.

jett

D-Member

Full series

Agreed. Not sure why they bothered with the Reeds. If I was a non-reader I'd be completely to lost as to wtf they're doing there. I still maintain that having tried to be so close to the books was a mistake. It worked for season one but it will not work for the rest. Has there ever been a show with so many characters and plotlines going on at once every single episode before this one? I see people complaining that they've butchered Arya but the fact of the matter is that there simply is no time to do her justice, or do anybody justice to be honest.

Considering this hasn't even been mentioned in the show they could simply change it to someone else.

As for the siblings themselves they seemed to only be set up to get Bran from point A to B.

It was mentioned in tonight's episode that (Series)
Howland Reed saved Ned's life during the rebellion. I expect we'll hear Bran tell that story in an upcoming episode. As far as the Jon Snow thing it's been hinted at enough that some non book reading viewers have been able to pick up on it, even without the tower flashback being present

Agreed. Not sure why they bothered with the Reeds. If I was a non-reader I'd be completely to lost as to wtf they're doing there. I still maintain that having tried to be so close to the books was a mistake. It worked for season one but it will not work for the rest. Has there ever been a show with so many characters and plotlines going on at once every single episode before this one? I see people complaining that they've butchered Arya but the fact of the matter is that there simply is no time to do her justice, or do anybody justice to be honest.

They have cut a lot. Reeds are too important to cut, that's how I feel at least. ASOS
To have Bran go through the areas he goes through with just Osha and Hodor wouldn't make sense. Reeds being there to guide and help him makes sense

The only part of this season I'm really down on is the Night's Watch. Instead of ASOS
the harried, terrified, snow-covered, run-for-your-lives-don't-leave-the-light-or-we're-all-going-to-die flight from the battle at the Fist on the way to the Wall
, we have a group of Night's Watch casually strolling in the sunlight making jokes. There is no sense of urgency after the frightful way that Season 2 ended.

devilhawk

You had to bring in the Reeds. ASoS
When Rikkon and Bran split, there has to be someone other than Osha.

The Reeds are not in any way dispensable. ADwD
Let's see, their father is quite possibly the most important character we have yet to meet in the series, Meera may be very important for Bran in the future, Jojen paste, Osha has to be sent with Rikkon to Skagos, and it is the freaking Reeds!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The only part of this season I'm really down on is the Night's Watch. Instead of ASOS
the harried, terrified, snow-covered, run-for-your-lives-don't-leave-the-light-or-we're-all-going-to-die flight from the battle at the Fist on the way to the Wall
, we have a group of Night's Watch casually strolling in the sunlight making jokes. There is no sense of urgency after the frightful way that Season 2 ended.

I agree with this.

ASOS
Reading that part of the book, I pictured a winter wasteland with blowing snow they were barely able to see the person in front of them.

Dysun

I agree with this.

ASOS
Reading that part of the book, I pictured a winter wasteland with blowing snow they were barely able to see the person in front of them.

That would be because this was where Sam is supposed to kill that Other and they bring winter. Looks like Sam the Slayer has been delayed til after Crasters Keep?

CrunchyB

Solid episode. Coherent and I think I can see where they are going with this. Still a shame they cut out Vargo. It's minor characters like Bronn, Vargo and Strong Belwas who lend charm to an otherwise grim story. And of course (butterfly effect), this will inevitably mess up some future story arcs.

ASOS
That would be because this was where Sam is supposed to kill that Other and they bring winter. Looks like Sam the Slayer has been delayed til after Crasters Keep?

Impossible,
Grenn needs to be there as a witness. And if Grenn's along for the entire ride, it wouldn't work either, because rescuing Gilly is something that Sam needs to do by himself.

^this, they already have a designated questions guy they can PM specific book spoiler questions to. no need to post corrections every time speculate incorrectly.

I only keep reiterating my annoyance with these posts because I was part of the NO spoilers discussion for season 1 and 2, and no matter how well intentioned a book reader was with his posts, they couldn't help but hint or forebode.

Oh yes, it's almost impossible not to spoil things because the TV series omits certain plot archs only to revisit them at a later date. Take with the Winterfell situation for instance. And even comments like "you think so, huh? Wink, wink" must be highly irritating to the newbs.

It's better to just let things be in the non-spoiler thread.

Vyer

I can't tell if some of you are severely overrating the value of being a book reader in a show like this, or just severely under rating the viewing abilities of non book readers out in the world. Probably both.

Anyhow, solid episode. Thoros, Olenna and Reeds intros all worked well. Dormer is brilliant as Margaery and is doing a great job illustrating how she learns to handle Joffrey. For once a Tyrion scene was among the weakest, though I understand why it was there.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
After last week's much more focused episode, Game of Thrones: The Clip Show has returned! I really wish they wouldn't try to cram in every character into a single episode (Daenerys was the only one missing this week). We gained nothing from the Tyrion+Shae scene and Sam and Jon's brief moments could have easily fit into last week's premiere. I did appreciate Catelyn's scene though. I'm glad that they finally decided to add a little more dimension to her character.

Other thoughts:

Dianna Rigg was just great and I thoroughly enjoyed watching her interactions with Sansa.

I really didn't like Jojen and Meera's introduction - though I do like the actors for the most part. They just randomly show up in the woods and are like "Yo Bran we've been looking for you. We've got a long road ahead of us, so we'd better get going. BTW you're a warg and our fathers used to be friends!" It was a very awkward and cliched fantasy character introduction followed by an info dump.

I'm actually really enjoying all of Margaery's scenes. Natalie Dormer is doing a really good job and I love watching her manipulate Joffrey.

Maybe it was that last swordfight between Brienne and Jamie that left a bad taste in my mouth. That was THE swordfight in the book. In the show it was sooooo slooooow. Let's sloooowly swing our swords at each other. And then Brienne beat him so easily. Disappointmenton.

That was so bad. It was far too slow and the choreography and camera work was horrible. That was one of my most anticipated moments this season and they totally botched it. Ugh.

Same here, though I suspect that Robb and Cat will eventually "learn" of Bran and Rickon's "deaths" at the hands of Theon later this season.

Olenna stole the show this week. She was cast perfectly. I was also very happy to see the Reeds, and Sam's scenes were great. I also was really impressed with Margaery in this episode.

Brotherhood scenes were a bit of a letdown. Their rushing through Arya's story so fast, and cutting so many characters. Still, they had some good moments. The only really dumb part of the episode was that Tyrion/Shae scene.

It was definitely an improvement on the first episode.

Lothar

Banned

It's weird that they're staying close to the books when it comes to the enormous number of new characters but they're not staying close when there should be tension and panic in the Night's Watch scenes, they're not staying close when they remove the heart-wrenching drama in Catelyn and Robb's story that should have effected their most recent decisions, they're not staying close by giving Arya a more pleasant time at Harranhal and weakening her character last season. So they're staying close in areas where it doesn't matter and not staying close in areas where it does. It's really not a problem with time, it's a problem with writing.

I did like what they did with Arya this episode for once, she showed some fierceness that was lacking last season. Still they seem to be rushing through her story.

Even though I have no problem with any particular scene tonight, a lot of it just seemed okay to me. I'll give the episode a 7. The only scenes with any real tension in it were the Queen of Thorns and Theon's scenes. Perhaps if they hadn't rushed through Arya's part and if instead of talking about how Jaqen's kills, they instead talked about how badly they were in danger, that would have helped. I don't understand why the Night's Watch are not fleeing in terror. We didn't really need to see Tyrion and Shae this episode. Time would have been better spent on Arya or making a longer Jaime/Brienne fight.

Lkr

For those bitching about the Tyrion scene, ASOS
he was talking a lot about Sansa with Shae and this is obviously used to foreshadow for the TV audience about the impending wedding. also important because Sansa wasn't told about the other Tyrell they wanted to marry her off to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom