• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop having a 50% console trade in bonus week, $232 for Wii U (USA)

wait.. I'm confused o_O;

I'm buying a new PS4, I got a launch PS4 and while its nice the controller has wear and tear issues (launch PS4 known issue), its 15+ months old and for basically $30-40 I'll be able to switch to a completely brand new PS4. My local best buy also still has a few Destiny PS4s so I can switch to a white one to match my Sunset Overdrive white xbox one.

Some caveats:

1. for Wii U the system transfer is a mess, basically you need to deactivate your Wii U and then call in Nintendo whenever you buy a new one to activate your NNID on the new one and it could take a few days. If you have both Wii U's up at once you can do a system transfer of course. There is no way to backup save data from Wii Us unfortunately. I don't know if I will honestly ever buy a new Wii U, their online systems are so terrible that its just easier skipping the 2-3 great Wii U games.

2. For PS4 hard drives are encrypted, so backup your saves to a thumb/USB drive before you buy a new one. I have a 1TB drive I copied all the saves out of to a 128GB thumb drive, I'm going to swap a 2TB drive into my new PS4 and copy back all the saves but I will need to redownload all the games. I have a 100mb internet connection so will just start that up overnight, but something to keep in mind.

3. You can go to http://www.gamestop.com/trade to look up trade values, for consoles multiply by 1.5. Prices can change daily and I would expect the Wii U and PS4 values to drop this weekend.

Gamestop also takes PS2s and older stuff like DSi and DS lites, so a good time to get rid of that kind of stuff and put it towards a new game I guess? All these trade values are for Gamestop credit, NOT cash. I don't think you can get any bonuses if you try to get cash, and many counties/states won't let Gamestop do cash trades (pawn shop laws).

Yeah, that's what I do.

Damn.... now I have serious debating to do.

Keep the PS4 that I never play (and give up Bloodborune) or bank $345 Amazon credit and buy new PC hardware for my GTA5 PC fetish which will begin in April.

MAN, this is going to be a long afternoon.

Zaventem

Does gamestop give cash or credit? Thinking about trading in my XL since I missed the preorder deadline for the new 3ds. Also does the credit expire?

cafemomo

lol
gITAWZR.png

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Hmm. Might trade in the WiiU. Just gets ZERO use. Smash, Kart and World would also go.

To be able to swap for Amazon cards would be insane.

Corgi

Banned
rip shaq.

tomodachi life would have worked better if this was on iOS, or at the very least 3ds supported multitask.

trading that and kirby in... I'm hearing ocarina of time is worth a lot atm? Might just sell it on gaf or ebay.

Reading on GAF, this is a what they allow you to do.

Well I know not all stores let you do that depends on manager. I would take this deal up if I could trade in store as I have a 3DS and a XL and would like to upgrade to a n3DS for MH4U.

I would rather not go to gamestop and give them business though. I don't have a power up card anymore so I don't even know if I would get the deal anyways.

I have a PS2(Has everything included) would LOVE to get rid of it..it just sits here collecting dust..says on the web site that you get 25.00 for it, so that is 25 dollars PLUS 50 percent additionally?? Is this just for the system alone because I have additional controllers, those little PS2 cards that you can put additional info on it..and I have a bunch of games and I mean a BUNCH of games..maybe like 30 games, but they are all really old, mainly sports games for the PS2 do you think they will take those back too??

Raoh

Is it worth trading in my 12gb PS3 Slim? I want a second PS4. Thinking about getting rid of my Xbox one as well. After I bought it I never touched it.

Clawww

Think I might trade in TLOU PS4 and Smash 3DS. Not sure what to pick up, though. Something for Wii U maybe. I should prolly buy Bayo 2.

SerTapTap

Damn, I have a plain black PS4 I don't want to bother selling used. I'm not sure how long it'd take me to spend $350 at gamestop though. I assume that's credit only, and I'd have to trade in a controller too?

bobawesome

Very tempted to get rid of my Wii U for that price. Nothing on the horizon interests me aside from maybe Zelda.

El Odio

Banned
IS the $100 for a 3DSXL just for an XL? I have an OG 3DS but might upgrade to a N3DS if the deal still applies.

daveo42

Banned
Looks like it might actually be worth trading in my XL for a new XL, though I'd need to take care of the purchase of a new one, transfer, and then sell all today. I'm just curious if it will be worth the hassle.

Dartastic

IS the $100 for a 3DSXL just for an XL? I have an OG 3DS but might upgrade to a N3DS if the deal still applies.
It does, but you only get like 75 bucks for it. And you have to trade in your power cable, so you basically only get 62. No thanks.

- J - D -

Does this stack with the Power Up Rewards card's 10% extra bonus? I signed up for this earlier this year and haven't had any opportunity to use it until now.

Assuming that the deal applies to all systems, which I'm pretty sure it does, it looks like you would get $72.75 for your OG 3DS. That's really not too bad.

got all 3 current consoles and I'm kind of disappointed in all of them for various reasons

I know games are coming that i'll want so i'm gonna keep em, but damn, being offered like ~900+ to offload this shit for PC stuff is so, so tempting.

Hmm...wonder if it's worth trading in my Animal Crossing 3DS XL...

for fucks sake dont do that, get it to a GAFfer or something.

They dont care about your limited edition they'll just treat it like the ugly ass default red XL

bobawesome

Oh man, I'd totally have enough credit to get a New 3DS XL if I did go with the Wii U trade in. I've had the original model for four years at this point.

Servbot24

Banned
Great trade in price for PS4 but it would be kind of pointless to trade it in right as the good games are about to come out.

garath

Hmm.. might be worth looking into how much for a 1st gen vita. I hardly play it and could pick up some Steam cards.

Salex_

Hmm...I didn't know you could buy Amazon gift cards at Gamestop.

Glad to see that I can basically get a refund for a Wii U that I impulsively bought and stopped playing in a month.

PS4/PC/ and now mobile will be more than enough for this gen for me.

Top Bottom