• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop having a 50% console trade in bonus week, $232 for Wii U (USA)

OmegaMan

Neo Member
Jusr checked online stock at local gamestops to see if I could trade in my old 3DS's for a black n3DS. Closest store that has one is over 30miles away. Not too keen on the red one....

Looks like I am skipping this deal. Oh well.

Call your nearest gamestop. They have a program called web-in-store where if they don't have the product in stock at that particular location, they can order it from the warehouse and have it sent to your house free shipping. You'd still be able to apply your trade towards the purchase. Only bummer is the free shipping takes 7-10 business days though you could pay extra for expedited shipping.

I see, thanks. So I could sign up for this free power up card at checkout and the bonus would apply to me?

That should be the case. I'd try signing up before you make your purchase just in case, although when you sign up for the program the benefits are usually good for the same transaction.

Call your nearest gamestop. They have a program called web-in-store where if they don't have the product in stock at that particular location, they can order it from the warehouse and have it sent to your house free shipping. You'd still be able to apply your trade towards the purchase. Only bummer is the free shipping takes 7-10 business days though you could pay extra for expedited shipping.

Did not know that. Thanks a bunch.

I think I might like the red more in person than in pictures and it'd be nice to have a non black gaming device.

OmegaMan

Neo Member
No worries. Just making sure people read that and think that is what is going on. The employee gave you false info. Not your fault.

Truthfully though, I work at a gamestop and I haven't heard anything about the extra 50% trade bonus on consoles outside of forums like here and CAG. I go to work again tomorrow and I'll be able to provide some more info about this.

Help me out here, are those really the trade-in prices for the games listed? $35 for Skyward Sword? Is that after the bonus? And is it store credit or cash? I've got hundreds of dollars worth of games I never play sitting on my shelf...

Yes the trade in website is the accurate price for all games, the list I posted in the OP is the current value as of today but as I said it can change day to day. If you have PUR pro ($15/2 years) you get an extra 10% on trading in games on those values. Keep in mind you can usually only trade in for credit, but you can buy stuff like Amazon (Kindle) GCs, Gas station, Taco Bell, etc with Gamestop credit.

I may trade in my Wii U since it's out of warranty and grabbing one of those Nintendo store refurbished bundles gives me a year of it.

I have various downloaded titles on there. How would I get them all back?

Also, how do you delete your data from the console without deleting the Nintendo ID so I can transfer it later?

I traded my Wii U in, it was a refurb unit I paid $225 for so getting $232 from Gamestop is a no brainer for me, especially as I've had various issues with my refurb unit (data corruption).

Unfortunately there is no easy way to transfer. What I did was create a second login (Mii), delete my primary account but NOT my NNID, and then erase the system (last setting on system settings). That means whoever buys my Wii U won't have access to my digital library, and my 3DS XL is still fine with its NNID.

If I buy a new Wii U down the road, I will NOT be able to use my NNID on it as its still sorta "ghosted" to my old Wii U, even though its completely invisible. I will have to call Nintendo's 1-800 customer service number, give them my NNID and old wii U serial number, and wait for them to transfer my licenses to the new Wii U. Could take 1-14 days, after that I should have again full access to all my digital Wii U games and eWallet. Unless they announce a new special edition Wii U though or fix their online account systems to be portable I'll just wait for their next console, the only two interesting games this year (for me) are Xenoblade and Zelda and spending another $250 to play them isn't worth it.

The console 50% bonus trade in promo is nationwide, on CAG a few employees have said that its in their internal email system and it should be automatic when you do a trade in. At my gamestop there are little fliers all over the store announcing the 50% bonus and it only took about 5 minutes each for Wii U and PS4.

I'd expect the trade in values of the Wii U and PS4 to drop though, paying $232 and $345 respectively doesn't really make any sense when thats near the price they sell them at. My new PS4 came with a $10 PSN credit and TLOU digital (already own it but will give to my brother in law), Gamestop is running a $410 PS4 deal that comes with TLOU and Destiny but I bought mine at Best Buy so I can use some trade in credit I had.

Mastamind

Can I buy a new 3ds from one store and go to a different store to trade in my old 3ds after doing the transfer because it seems only one store in my area even knows about the bonus.

Hibiki Rush

Neo Member
Anyone know how much they would give for an Xbox One with Kinect? Their website doesn't have that as an option, just the base console and CoD bundle.

Guess I won't be doing the 3DS trade-in. All Gamestops around me are sold out of the black one. I don't really want a red N3DS XL.

Anyone know how much they would give for an Xbox One with Kinect? Their website doesn't have that as an option, just the base console and CoD bundle.

they only give 40 cents for a kinect hit me up i'll take it off your hands for $40

(that's actually not the real value they offer more but it's not very much considering)

Kama_1082

Banned
Traded in some of my games from the B2G1 deal from best buy and walked out with $110

Alien Isolation, COD:AW, Lego Batman and Diablo 3 all X1.

Pbae

I'm trading in everything...

$345 for a day one PS4 is insane. I was getting OCD looking at all the dust that was on it.

I am going to have so much Amazon credit...

OmegaMan

Neo Member
Also for those of you looking to trade your stuff in at gamestop but use the credit somewhere else, here's what I do. I trade in whatever and get the value put on a GameStop trade card. For the purpose of this example let's say the trade is an even $100. You can then use said trade card to buy a GameStop gift card which isn't taxed so you can do an even exchange there. You can then use GameStop gift card on cardpool.com to trade for another gift card. For the purpose of this example, let's say a best buy gift card because you're a gamers club unlocked member there. You type in the 16 digit code and the PIN on the back of the GameStop gift card and and cardpool.com will give (at least in all of my cases) at least 90% value for that card. So long story short, you can exchange GameStop gift cards for gift cards for pretty much ANY retail store. I do it all the time because a lot of the time, GameStop does not have good prices on games or accessories. Just my two cents.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Hopefully they do this again sometime in the summer when I'm done with Bloodborne. Ugh.

I really want a new GPU and I'm not crazy about the ps4.

Also for those of you looking to trade your stuff in at gamestop but use the credit somewhere else, here's what I do. I trade in whatever and get the value put on a GameStop trade card. For the purpose of this example let's say the trade is an even $100. You can then use said trade card to buy a GameStop gift card which isn't taxed so you can do an even exchange there. You can then use GameStop gift card on cardpool.com to trade for another gift card. For the purpose of this example, let's say a best buy gift card because you're a gamers club unlocked member there. You type in the 16 digit code and the PIN on the back of the GameStop gift card and and cardpool.com will give (at least in all of my cases) at least 90% value for that card. So long story short, you can exchange GameStop gift cards for gift cards for pretty much ANY retail store. I do it all the time because a lot of the time, GameStop does not have good prices on games or accessories. Just my two cents.

fwiw you can also do this with other store gift cards towards gamestop purchases right at the register now. the exchange rates aren't that bad.

Called and confirmed my local store is doing this and the 3DS XL Price is accurate, so that's cool. Now I have to decide which games I can part with and which I want to keep... and what to do with the cash.

Another question, I see people saying you can buy Amazon gift cards, but are they Amazon gift cards or just Kindle gift cards? I've seen conflicting posts...

Kama_1082

Banned
Called and confirmed my local store is doing this and the 3DS XL Price is accurate, so that's cool. Now I have to decide which games I can part with and which I want to keep... and what to do with the cash.

Another question, I see people saying you can buy Amazon gift cards, but are they Amazon gift cards or just Kindle gift cards? I've seen conflicting posts...

works the same.

lt519

Thanks OP! Just traded in New Yoshis Island, Kirby Triple and NSMBU for $75. Coincidentally the 3DS games are the free ones I got from the B2G1 at best buy last year.

Fantastic no hassle values for the 3ds games

For comparison Target is offering $4.76 for Kirby, $6.58 for Yoshi, and $8 for NSMBU

tbh, for limited edition systems i would not trade them into gamestop since they might go for more money

for the standard ones i would since those are everywhere.

Just called the closest GameStop to my house about it. The associate on the phone said he hadn't heard of the deal. I'm going to try and call others because I've been contemplating upgrading my 3DS XL to a New 3DS XL (the more I type that out the funnier it sounds).

Another question about the promotion: I've never traded in a handheld to GameStop before - does the condition matter to GameStop? I only ask because my XL has a few dings and one faint scratch on the top screen :(

Those who want a PSTV, I'll do it 50 ship. 70 if you want me to toss in a 16 GB card. PM me.

As for trading in the wii I need a nunchuck and controller so time to hit the pawnshops lol

Just called the closest GameStop to my house about it. The associate on the phone said he hadn't heard of the deal. I'm going to try and call others because I've been contemplating upgrading my 3DS XL to a New 3DS XL (the more I type that out the funnier it sounds).

Another question about the promotion: I've never traded in a handheld to GameStop before - does the condition matter to GameStop? I only ask because my XL has a few dings and one faint scratch on the top screen :(

The guy at my store also hadn't heard of it when I called but he looked it up in "the computer" and saw that this deal had just gone live today. He was super helpful actually, very pleasant guy. Try pushing them a little if they don't volunteer to look it up for you.

Darknight

Does GS still carry White Destiny PS4 bundles? Tried checking online but gives me an error when I try to see store stock availability.

The guy at my store also hadn't heard of it when I called but he looked it up in "the computer" and saw that this deal had just gone live today. He was super helpful actually, very pleasant guy. Try pushing them a little if they don't volunteer to look it up for you.

I tried asking two stores in two different areas to look it up instead of asking about a promotion, and they're still saying it's $67.50 in-store credit. Not sure what's going on in my town or if I'm missing a key detail here.

I tried asking two stores in two different areas to look it up instead of asking about a promotion, and they're still saying it's $67.50 in-store credit. Not sure what's going on in my town or if I'm missing a key detail here.

Lame, I asked specifically if they were running a 50% bonus trade in value on consoles from the 6th to the 15th and he said yes... Good luck.

Do you need a Power Up Rewards for this? Can I get one while doing the trade in to get the bonus credit?

Yes and yes.

It really boils down to how good a manager your store has and how motivated the employees are to keep up with things.

The bonus is live nationwide and applies automatically, so doing a normal console trade in will get you a 50% bonus. The employees apparently have an internal memo in their systems letting them know of the bonus. If however the employees don't check it or the manager doesn't keep on top of it then they won't know anything about it. Even still, it should still automatically give you the bonus when you do the trade in, and you do need to "accept" the trade value before its done.

So if your local stores are acting clueless just try it, just go in PREPARED so you know exactly how much you are supposed to get. So for example a 3DS XL on the gamestop trade in site (http://www.gamestop.com/trade) right now reports it as $67.50 if you trade in with a stylus and AC adapter, so you should get 67.50*1.5 = $101.25.

If you can't go in today check the website before you go in, the trade values can change day to day and if a ton of people do tradeins today they may reduce the value. I really expect the Wii U and PS4 values to go down since the current values don't make any sense at all.

Swapped my PS4 and new system is up and running in under 15 minutes, already playing Destiny. Gotta love portable console account systems.

I just traded in my launch PS4, Battlefield 4 (PS4), and Shadow of Mordor (XB1). Walked out with a XB1 Play and Charge Kit, year of their membership (can't recall the name), and just over $346 in credit. I intend to put the credit towards a LE Zelda Wii U console, a revised PS4, or perhaps a new laptop after purchasing Amazon gift cards. Thanks for the heads up GAF! I'm pretty happy with my transaction.

Note: I'll be playing Bloodborne on my stepbrother's PS4.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This thread got me kinda excited so I traded in Need for Speed Rivals ($16.50), and with an additional $12, bought Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate for X1.

Been wanting to try that out after playing Hyrule Warriors. Now I need a Musou for Vita.

Top Bottom