• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Sales Up 13%; VG Sales Increase 17%; PS2 & Xbox shortage confirmed

August 17, 2004 08:30 AM US Eastern Timezone

GameStop Corp. Sales Up 13 Percent; Video Game Software Sales Increase 17 Percent;
Second Quarter EPS Grows 18% to $0.13 at High End of Projected Range

GRAPEVINE, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 17, 2004--GameStop Corp. (NYSE:GME), the nation's largest video game and entertainment software specialty retailer, today reported sales and earnings for the second quarter ended July 31, 2004.

GameStop sales increased 13% to $345.6 million in the second quarter of 2004, compared with $305.7 million in the prior year quarter. Video game software sales were strong, growing 17%, with leading titles such as "NCAA Football 2005" from Electronic Arts, Inc., "Spider-Man 2" from Activision, Inc., and "ESPN NFL 2K5" from Sega of America and Take-Two Interactive, Inc. Comparable store sales declined by 2.4%, in line with expectations.

Net earnings for the second quarter increased to $7.7 million, compared with net earnings of $6.6 million in the prior year quarter. Diluted earnings per share increased 18%, to $0.13 per diluted share, as compared to $0.11 per diluted share in the prior year quarter.

New store sales performance exceeded our expectations, and we opened 77 stores during the quarter, bringing the total number of new stores opened so far this year to 180.

"We are pleased with our second quarter results, and are particularly happy about our earnings being at the high end of our projected range. In addition, as NPD data indicates, GameStop again continued to gain market share," said R. Richard Fontaine, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "We experienced strong hardware sales at the beginning of the second quarter due to price cuts on the Microsoft Xbox and Sony PlayStation 2 systems, and our in-store promotional activities; however, unanticipated hardware shortages in late June and July on the PlayStation 2, and to a lesser extent, Xbox, impacted the momentum that we had built earlier in the quarter. We are also very pleased with our continued margin growth and our overall software sales increase of 17%, particularly as we were up against very challenging software comparisons in the prior year's quarter."

Fontaine continued, "We believe we are well positioned to fully maximize the potential of the release of several very strong titles for the third and fourth quarters, which perhaps could be the most robust software line-up in the last five years."

During the second quarter, GameStop completed its previously announced $50.0 million stock buy-back program, acquiring approximately 959,000 shares for $15.0 million at an average price of $15.64 per share.

Guidance for the third quarter assumes comparable store sales will range from +4.0% to +6.0%, with earnings per diluted share between $0.20 and $0.21. We continue to believe that full-year 2004 earnings per diluted share will range from $1.20 to $1.24.

A conference call with GameStop Corp.'s management will be simulcast on the Web at (http://www.gamestop.com) beginning at 11:00 AM ET on August 17, 2004, and will be accessible at (http://www.gamestop.com/investor-relations), where it will be archived until September 1, 2004.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Xbox shortages are what is going on around where I live. There are NO Xbox's in the town that I live in right now. AT ALL. Very weird.

Alcibiades

well, we still have plenty of XBoxes in the Best Buy (I work in the videogame department), and Target next door has a ton of them, but I haven't seen the PS2 since a about a week and a 1/2 ago. I never ask at Gamestop (unlike Target and Wal-Mart where you could tell by looking at displays), but maybe they ran out if they don't keep the shipment in that bigger stores do...

alejob

I still havent found a PS2 online bundle around here, just a couple of non bundled ones. Plenty XBoxs around here.

Chi-Town

I was out at some stores today and PS2s do seem to be in short supply. Both the Best Buys I went to both got in more Xboxes.

Xbox seems to be pretty hot around my area as well(Central California.) i had a friend who had a dead Xbox,he returned it for a new one(warranty) and he's on a waiting list,no Xboxs at the store. Turns out he got so impatiant that he decided to buy one else where,yet he couldn't find any. The bum actually tried to buy mine cause I own one with a SamSung drive :D

12 month Xbox Live account+SamSung drive within Xbox+a ton of non transferable game saves,hours and hours of burned music to go with the games. =no sale. :)

How long is this console drout suppose to last anyways? I'm getting tired of having to say no to the bum. In all honesty,I think he holds my Xbox with this superficial prestige because of all the beaten games/unlockable extras/Xbox Live content downloads I have on the hard drive. Poor sap:b

teepo

i can confirm their been a xbox shortage for about 2 months now.

dunno about ps2s but we have had problems with having not enuff new ones in stock.

LOL...I think the Nintendo *shortage* was possibly the worst case of damage control ever.
Its great to see those PS2 and Xbox numbers,the public are enthusiastic about those machines.

Matt

T-1000_Model3 said:
LOL...I think the Nintendo *shortage* was possibly the worst case of damage control ever.
Its great to see those PS2 and Xbox numbers,the public are enthusiastic about those machines.
What the hell are you talking about? Their WAS a GameCube shortage, it was confirmed in that same way that this PS2 shortage was. Why would you believe this one but not that one?

There was so much spin put on the Nitendo created shortage it was sickening. Anyone could see that the public wasn't going to continuely buy that many GameCubes through the course of this generation. Look at the numbers we have now. Quite a contrast.

So yes,I do know what I speak about. There is no denying the spin that was being woven in this forum when those GameCubes were flying at that time. It was damage control for all the frustration that many of the cheerleaders here went through leading up to the *shortage*

It was an accidental backfire that made the company loo like geniouses. Nintendo shipping so many consoles where there was no demand,where retailors didn't want anymore units,then stopping production and creating a shortage close to the holidays,thats real spin right there,and many here ate it up. It was temporary form of damage control but in the end,only broke the hearts of many here since reality can be a nasty eye opener.

P90

T-1000_Model3 said:
There was so much spin put on the Nitendo created shortage it was sickening. Anyone could see that the public wasn't going to continuely buy that many GameCubes through the course of this generation. Look at the numbers we have now. Quite a contrast.

So yes,I do know what I speak about. There is no denying the spin that was being woven in this forum when those GameCubes were flying at that time. It was damage control for all the frustration that many of the cheerleaders here went through leading up to the *shortage*

It was an accidental backfire that made the company loo like geniouses. Nintendo shipping so many consoles where there was no demand,where retailors didn't want anymore units,then stopping production and creating a shortage close to the holidays,thats real spin right there,and many here ate it up. It was temporary form of damage control but in the end,only broke the hearts of many here since reality can be a nasty eye opener.

Do you just hack on Nintendo in EVERY thread?

Junon

Banned
JC10001 said:
PS2 & Xbox shortage? That MP bundle couldn't have come at a better time.

When Nintendo gave away games for free with the purchase of a GC, not too many people bought into it then. I doubt bundling it with a GC free will really help at all now.

Rhindle

The Xbox shortage in particular is very weird, because Microsoft has been VERY good at forecasting demand and keeping adequate inventories in the past. It has to be a changeover to a new bundle in the works.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
My store's been out of Xboxen for a week or so no, but we only had six or so for a few months. The things really do not sell at TRU from what it seems.
As far as PS2s go, we have a ton, and we're one of the few stores in Rochester with any in stock, or so I've heard.
Gamecubes, we keep selling at a healthy rate.

Top Bottom