• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Conventions that just don't work anymore.

jett

D-Member
Water = instadeath.

Barely touching an enemy or anything that is EVAL = instadeath.

Then there's some really stupid shit, like for example you have a freaking missile launcher as a weapon...but you can't open a mere door because you have to find some key. Bleh.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Marconelly said:
Touching human enemies in Metal Slug does not kill you. It kills you only when an enemy pulls out a knife and stabs you, which makes a perfect sense. Touching tanks, etc, kills you while tank is moving, which again makes sense.

Err, I think that's what he was saying...

Monk is one of the best Metal Slug players I've ever seen and can easily stand toe to toe with the best I've read about. The addiction is truly insane...

Kuramu

Games like Mario Sunshine that don't need stories but they interrupt my play to watch stupid cutscenes with bad voice acting.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
bobbyconover said:
Cliched worlds/levels with cliched music. Desert level with middle eastern sounding music in the phrygian mode, beach/tropical level with steel drum calypso music, ice level with music that sounds like variations on Christmas themes complete with jingling bells, underwater level with dreamy waltz music, circus level with caliope music, etc.
I once thought exactly like this, but then I played Super Mario Sunshine. After that, I realized that I love looking forward to the old ice world/fire world/etc. stereotypes -- especially in the Mario franchise, where it's more of a tradition.

I've always hated when you have to fight a character that joins your party in the future.

In the battle he has a million hit points and four billion spells. When he finally joins you, he has 1/10 of that ability.

I don't know what could be done about it short of making him a wuss in the battles (or giving him tons of healing powers), but it always annoyed me.

Kuramu said:
Games like Mario Sunshine that don't need stories but they interrupt my play to watch stupid cutscenes with bad voice acting.

This seems to happen with far, far too many games. Half the time it's like they just add the cutscenes to keep up with the Joneses in their target market rather than to add anything to the player's enjoyment (let alone for artistic reasons).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Resident Evil style puzzles.

"Why, I've just randomly found the Bronzed Medallion of Antiochus III! I bet if I match that with the Gilded Gate of the 1000 Suns that I saw three hours ago, I just might find my way into the next area of this weird haunted place."

That business has got to go.

aku:jiki said:
I don't get it. This always comes up in these threads, yet I can't even remember the last time a game actually forced me to collect. Mostly it's side stuff that's there for the people who can't get enough.. and that can't seriously bother you, can it?

You never played DK64, apparently. Many of us were scarred for life and fear collecting of some sort now.

ge-man

MetatronM said:
Resident Evil style puzzles.

"Why, I've just randomly found the Bronzed Medallion of Antiochus III! I bet if I match that with the Gilded Gate of the 1000 Suns that I saw three hours ago, I just might find my way into the next area of this weird haunted place."

That business has got to go.

I'm hoping that Resident Evil 4 has done away with this. The media so far suggest that game will be more about survival and not placing the red gems in the right statues.

Prospero

Multiple-stage final bosses that save their true death-dealing weapons until their final stage.

"Well, why didn't you pull out that weapon before, Final Boss?"
"I was just waiting for you to make me sufficiently angry."

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Hellraizah said:
Double jumps, it just doesn't make any sense.

I'd break it down into three main types of double jumps.

1) When executing a double jump, character simply jumps again... this I agree is akward in a game, even if it's purely fantasy. Get rid of it.

2) When executing a double jump, character does a flip or other type acrobatic move, extending the height or length of jump... this looks much more cohesive and should stay.

3) When executing a double jump, character does some magical move mid air - Castlevania's down/up mid-air move for instance... this also comes off well I think.

SolidSnakex said:
"I don't get it. This always comes up in these threads, yet I can't even remember the last time a game actually forced me to collect. Mostly it's side stuff that's there for the people who can't get enough.. and that can't seriously bother you, can it?"

It still happens when you compare it to older platformers. R&C is really the only one to stop it. With R&C when you beat a level you go to the next just like in older platformers. With alot of platformers today there is no "beating" a level you collect enough things to open up the next level. There's still stuff to collect in R&C but they don't have to keep playing that level or another level you've already played over and over to get a specific number of things to open up the next level. I prefer R&C's route.

bullshit. Mario 64 wasn't a collectathon. Neither was Conker. Or Maximo. You always come into these threads and act like Naughty Dog and INsomniac did something incredibly revolutionary. Please, just stop it. IF Mario 64 was a collectathon, than so was Super Mario Bros., cause you had a "collect" a flagpole at the end of each level. Really, the only real painfully bad high profile collectathon from last gen was Donkey Kong 64, where the game consisted of nothing but running around huge worlds collecting thousands of bananas so you could move on to the next level. That game gave all platformers last gen a bad rap.

Ninja Scooter said:
bullshit. Mario 64 wasn't a collectathon. Neither was Conker. Or Maximo. You always come into these threads and act like Naughty Dog and INsomniac did something incredibly revolutionary. Please, just stop it. IF Mario 64 was a collectathon, than so was Super Mario Bros., cause you had a "collect" a flagpole at the end of each level.

I didn't call them a collect a thon did I? I said they revolve around collecting more than old school platformers and they do. With Mario 64 you need a specific number of stars to unlock a level, right? That doesn't happen in Ratchet, you beat a level and then you go to the next. That's my point.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
there was backtracking in the R&C games if I recall... maybe not too much that was mandatory, but that's the way I remember it.

ge-man said:
I'm hoping that Resident Evil 4 has done away with this. The media so far suggest that game will be more about survival and not placing the red gems in the right statues.
I always thought the puzzles were a welcome departure from all the killing.

SolidSnakex said:
I didn't call them a collect a thon did I? I said they revolve around collecting more than old school platformers and they do. With Mario 64 you need a specific number of stars to unlock a level, right? That doesn't happen in Ratchet, you beat a level and then you go to the next. That's my point.

uh, no, in Ratchet and Clank, you had to beat a certain number of objectives/missions in each "world" to unlock the next one. Does it make a whole lot of difference that in Super Mario 64, meeting these objectives rewards you with a "Star"? Its the same type of shit.

Coen

Not to mention the hunderds of bolts needed for certain upgrades, which are necessary to reach certain parts of the game.

Matlock

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
uh, no, in Ratchet and Clank, you had to beat a certain number of objectives/missions in each "world" to unlock the next one. Does it make a whole lot of difference that in Super Mario 64, meeting these objectives rewards you with a "Star"? Its the same type of shit.

Aye. And in Ratchet and Clank 2, you had to collect parts for a machine you needed.

Plus you had to keep re-killing enemies to level up your weapons so that you could beat some of the harder parts.

I love the games, but you're grasping at straws that ain't there, Snake.

Ninja Scooter said:

The level structure in the Ratchet games feel completely different from other platformers. More like you're going from a Point A to POint B in them rather than being dumped into a big world and having to run around to do X event. So it ends up feeling like older paltformers than the new generation that Mario 64 started.

If you like the way other platformers are done then fine by me. But personally I hate it and that's why I pretty much can't stand any 3D platformers outside of Ratchet now.

Matlock

Banned
Half of the levels of R&C2 were built as "run around doing X-event" stages, if you're going to bash the former platformers that way. Hell, once you get off the linear (READ: CRASH BANDICOOT IS THE ONLY TRULY A->B MAINSTREAM 3D PLATFORMER, and only the levels that don't have branches) path, you're going towards 3D platorming, which everyone but mama SCEA makes!

Oh, but the SCEA teams do make 3D platformers! With branches! And X-Objectives!

Matlock said:
Half of the levels of R&C2 were built as "run around doing X-event" stages, if you're going to bash the former platformers that way. Hell, once you get off the linear (READ: CRASH BANDICOOT IS THE ONLY TRULY A->B MAINSTREAM 3D PLATFORMER, and only the levels that don't have branches) path, you're going towards 3D platorming, which everyone but mama SCEA makes!

Oh, but the SCEA teams do make 3D platformers! With branches! And X-Objectives!

I'm bashing the others mainly for their collecting though. It didn't really bother me on Mario 64 which is still my fav platformer ever. But almost every one after that is just a pain to play because of it. I think that's a big reason why the platform genre is so far down in popularity now. It went from being the most popular genre last gen to being basically ignored this gen.

And i'm not saying SCEA is god or anything so get off that. THe original Jak sucked beyond belief although Jak 2 was alot better because they dumped the heavy focus on collecting.

dark10x

Mario 64 wasn't a collect-a-thon, though...

Those stars simply represented end points for a single level and controlled game progression. Each star could just have easily been a door or something...

Ryu said:
Collect-a-thons... Thanks a lot Mario 64 for making this a standard for many platform games that could have otherwise been a lot of fun.
Super Mario 64 is barely what one could call a collect-a-thon. Most of the stars were there to signify that you'd completed some task or made it through a certain path. The only real collecting aspect was red/regular coins in the main levels, which makes up what, 30 stars out of a 120 total? When only 70 is necessary to open all levels? Other games where you must collect things like, say, hundreds of notes and feathers to even learn necessary moves, have much more of a collecting focus.
trippingmartian said:
A convention I'd like to see rid of is load times. I'd be happy next generation if the graphics were only slightly better but the levels streamed seamlessly into eachother.
Ghost said:
Random Battles
To me, these are quite linked. Playing through Final Fantasy Legend III and Final Fantasy IX makes things all the more clear. I've always really hated how the slow text crawl of FFLIII's battles forces you to hold down A to go through things at a decent speed, making it slower than most RPGs I'd played at the time. However, it's right speedy compared to what you must do to even get in and out of FF IX battles. Random battles are much easier to put up with when an unexpected fight doesn't take 30 seconds of loading in and out.

dark10x said:

Those stars simply represented end points for a single level and controlled game progression. Each star could just have easily been a door or something...

I know that's why I liked Mario 64. It was fun and everything felt right. It's just that almost everything that followed it is a complete bore.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
dark10x said:

Yeah, each star was attached to a platforming-centric objective. You performed tasks to get stars, as opposed to just roaming around collecting stars. The latter is what a collectathon actually is (DK64, for example); Mario 64, by requiring you to complete objectives to progress in the game, is not.

I love RPGs, but I wish some one would come up with a better plot than "orphaned hero", whose a naturally gifted fighter, saves the world and in the process finds out one of his/her parents has some connection to the final boss.

Jupiter Jones said:
I love RPGs, but I wish some one would come up with a better plot than "orphaned hero", whose a naturally gifted fighter, saves the world and in the process finds out one of his/her parents has some connection to the final boss.
*blinds self* Please mark spoilers!

Jupiter Jones said:

atlus09.jpg

September 21st. :)

Matlock

Banned
bjork said:
The white man needs to not be the main character all the time.

Psi-Ops has a black dude as the main character...or at least he was black before the surgery to mask his appearance.

Battle Arenas in RPGs. They were fun once, but they are far too common. Also, every RPG has added summoning as a mechanic even if the actual act of summoning is not well thought out (Chrono Cross, where it was nearly impossible to summon without the field spells and rather unnecessary too).

Too many RPGs tend to throw in every cool detail from every RPG to come before it. Strangely, I dearly love Tales of Symphonia, despite it having every RPG convention I have come to depsise. Nevertheless, I want more RPGs like Valkyrie Profile and Panzer Dragoon Saga that tell great stories their own way and have highly original mechanics.

While I'm at it, I also wish that the SaGa (Frontier, Unlimited, any others that may come here) didn't suck. Akitoshi Kawazu is a genius at bucking trends in RPGs, but most of his games are not fun or become too repetitive.

firex

"Stealth" games where you're better off killing everyone instead of sneaking around, and can hide in a shadow guards walk right past for 30 seconds and then everyone returns to their post.

Anything symbolic or interpretive of Western religion in Japanese RPG plots.

belgurdo

Banned
Something else that bugs me about (Japanese) RPGs: How "black and white" everyone perceives things to be. I.e., ALL of Race X is evil, and there isn't a single wholesome member of it; or believing that firing giant cannon Y WILL succeed without any negative consequences, or whatever

Ryu

My point in singling out Mario 64 was that all platform games before then didn't require you to collect anything at all. You simply went from one level to the next without any requirements. You didn't need a specific number of levels beaten to move on or anything like that. You didn't need to unlock star road to beat Super Mario World. You didn't have to beat 3/4 of Mario 3 if you didn't want to -- just warp your ass to the end. However, in Mario 64, if you didn't acquire a certain number of stars, you didn't advance. That's not my point though...

My point is that with the sales of Mario 64 being in the millions, it's only natural for Japanese and Western developers to mimic these conventions. Some of them took them to the extremes while others presented a similar gameplay feel where accomplishing missions netted you items that you needed before you could advance -- just like Mario 64. That doesn't necessarily make Mario 64 itself a huge collect-a-thon, but it certainly is to blame for setting a platforming standard that was milked and imitated for years to come and it's now something that plenty of us have come to dislike in our games.

dark10x

However, in Mario 64, if you didn't acquire a certain number of stars, you didn't advance. That's not my point though...

In Mario 64, if you didn't finish a certain number of levels...you didn't advance. The stars are not an item to collect, they simply mark the end point of a level. That's it.

In Super Mario World, each "area" was represented via an overworld map screen. In Mario 64, they took that idea to a new level. Each main play area in Mario 64 (entered via a painting) was essentially the same as an overworld theme in SMW. Each "star" represents a "dot" on the SMW maps, basically. The progression requirements were a bit less linear than SMW, but they still followed the same kind of idea. Finish a world type and you can move on.

In something like Jak and Daxter, you actually ARE searching for objects scattered about the world. This a very different design from Mario 64 and the two shouldn't be compared. You aren't just doing tasks in Mario, you are finishing levels...

swoon

Matlock said:
Psi-Ops has a black dude as the main character...or at least he was black before the surgery to mask his appearance.

that's really worse. or that the gal in beyond good and evil was an alien.

belgurdo said:
Something else that bugs me about (Japanese) RPGs: How "black and white" everyone perceives things to be. I.e., ALL of Race X is evil, and there isn't a single wholesome member of it; or believing that firing giant cannon Y WILL succeed without any negative consequences, or whatever

This is fairly common in lesser western RPGs as well. Orcs, anybody?

bobbyconover said:
Cliched worlds/levels with cliched music. Desert level with middle eastern sounding music in the phrygian mode, beach/tropical level with steel drum calypso music, ice level with music that sounds like variations on Christmas themes complete with jingling bells, underwater level with dreamy waltz music, circus level with caliope music, etc.

Also, totally unrelated, but being forced to play through (and find all secrets in) the 20+ hour single-player mode of a game in order to unlock more than one character/level/play style/option for its multiplayer mode has GOT to stop.

what do you have against Rare?? :)

MC Safety

How do we classify the fetch quest? Is it a subcategory of the collectathon?

Anyway, there's nothing like being everyone's errand boy, fetching onions for soup, fixing weathervanes, passing messages, delivering mail, what-have-you. You'll help me if I gather 13 books for your library? How about I just stab you for the information?

dark10x said:
In Mario 64, if you didn't finish a certain number of levels...you didn't advance. The stars are not an item to collect, they simply mark the end point of a level. That's it.

In Super Mario World, each "area" was represented via an overworld map screen. In Mario 64, they took that idea to a new level. Each main play area in Mario 64 (entered via a painting) was essentially the same as an overworld theme in SMW. Each "star" represents a "dot" on the SMW maps, basically. The progression requirements were a bit less linear than SMW, but they still followed the same kind of idea. Finish a world type and you can move on.

In something like Jak and Daxter, you actually ARE searching for objects scattered about the world. This a very different design from Mario 64 and the two shouldn't be compared. You aren't just doing tasks in Mario, you are finishing levels...

exactly. Like i said before, the stars in Mario 64 are pretty much the same as the flagpoles at the end of each level in Super Mario Bros. They just signified the end of an objective, be it running from one end of a level to another (SMB) or actually completing some kind platforming based task (Mario64). To call Mario 64 a collect-a-thon because of th stars is just stupid.

Top Bottom