• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gay Colorado couple accuses baker of discrimination over refused wedding cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coins

Banned
DENVER — A gay couple is pursuing a discrimination complaint against a Colorado bakery, saying the business refused them a wedding cake to honor their Massachusetts ceremony, and alleging that the owners have a history of turning away same-sex couples.

As more states move to legalize same-sex marriage and civil unions, the case highlights a growing tension between gay rights advocates and supporters of religious freedom.

“Religious freedom is a fundamental right in America and it’s something that we champion at the ACLU,” said Mark Silverstein, the legal director of the group in Colorado, which filed the complaint on behalf of the couple. “We are all entitled to our religious beliefs and we fight for that. But someone’s personal religious beliefs don’t justify breaking the law by discriminating against others in the public sphere.”

The attorney for Jack Phillips, one of the owners of Masterpiece Cakeshop, sees it differently.

“We don’t believe that this is a case about commerce. At its heart, this is a case about conscience,” said Nicolle Martin. She said the matter is important because it will serve as an example for future cases across the country as more gay couples gain legal recognitions for their relationships.

“It brings it to the forefront. I just don’t think that we should heighten one person’s beliefs over and above another person’s beliefs,” she said.

The Colorado Attorney General’s office filed a formal complaint last week after the ACLU initiated the process last year on behalf of David Mullins and Charlie Craig. The case is scheduled for a hearing in September before Colorado’s Civil Rights Commission.

Nationwide, 12 states now allow gay marriage, with Rhode Island, Delaware and Minnesota doing so this year. And in a year that Colorado lawmakers approved civil unions, they also elected the first gay Speaker of the House.

But Colorado’s civil union law does not provide religious protections for businesses despite the urging of Republican lawmakers. Democrats argued that such a provision would give businesses cover to discriminate.

Mullins, 28, and Craig, 33, filed the discrimination complaint against Phillips after visiting his business in suburban Denver last summer. After a few minutes looking at pictures of different cakes, the couple said Phillips told them he wouldn’t make one for them when he found out it was to celebrate their wedding in Colorado after they got married in Massachusetts. Phillips has said making a wedding cake for gay couples would violate his Christian religious beliefs, according to the complaint.

“We were all very upset, but I was angry and I felt dehumanized and mortified,” Mullins said. He said he vented his frustration on Facebook and was surprised at how “the story ended up catching fire,” with responses from local media and bloggers in other countries posting about it.

“We felt that the best way to honor the support that they had given us was to follow this complaint through,” he said. In the process, the ACLU said they found out about two other gay couples who had been refused a wedding cake from the same shop. Both have written affidavits in support of the discrimination claim.

Recent advances on gay rights only underscore Colorado’s difficult past on the issue. In 2006, voters banned gay marriage. More notably, in 1992, voters approved a ban on municipal antidiscrimination laws to protect gays, leading some to brand Colorado a “hate state.” Four years later, the U.S. Supreme Court said the law, known as Amendment 2, was unconstitutional.

The complaint seeks to force Masterpiece Cakeshop to “cease and desist” the practice of refusing wedding cakes for gay couples, and to tell the public that their business is open to everyone.

If Phillips loses the case and refuses to comply with the order, he would face fines of $500 per case and up to a year in jail, his attorney said.

“It would force him to choose between his conscience and a paycheck. I just think that’s an intolerable choice,” Martin said.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...alleged-wedding-cake-article-1.1366148?pgno=1
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57482042/same-sex-couple-denied-wedding-cake-by-bakery/

Um wow. If the dude wants to make a bad name for his business by refusing service in his quest to be a bigot, he should be able to do so. Let his business suffer from bad publicity. Jail time is a bit far.

NoTacos

So the old saying "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." is a lie? You learn something new everyday.....

_Isaac

How awesome if the ACLU stepped in to defend the bakers as well. Has the ACLU ever gone head to head with itself?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Leave it to blame space to cut the the center of the issue.

@Devolution
Have there been any studies that have shown that to do anything?

delirium

You can discriminate as much as you want unless its a protected category. Sexual orientation is a protected category.

Reagan Coalition. How do we know he could face actual jailtime. As a general rule of thumb, my bullshit meter goes off whenever I get a news story from something that sounds overly conservative. It's not always right, but it's a good precaution.

Kyon

Banned
Good.

Lock His Ass Up

ijVkr0Ob62X8d.gif

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yeah, I'm not sure Prison will do anything either.

Edit: Good point Earthstrike, could only be for repeat offenders or some other reasoning.

Loofy

In researching this topic I came upon a hilarious yahoo answers question.
"For example, what if, in a jurisdiction where prostitution were legal, a sex worker refused a client based on race? Would that be legal? And what about based on sex? if a client really wanted to pursue the matter, would he or she win in court?"

That's just stupid. Then again we are a prison happy society in which someone down the line thought it was a great idea for a per profit prison system.

In researching this topic I came upon a hilarious yahoo answers question.
"For example, what if, in a jurisdiction where prostitution were legal, a sex worker refused a client based on race? Would that be legal? And what about based on sex? if a client really wanted to pursue the matter, would he or she win in court?"

A valid question

Suikoguy

That's just stupid. Then again we are a prison happy society in which someone down the line thought it was a great idea for a per profit prison system.

I just don't see how society would benefit from locking the guy up. Maybe suspending his business license for x number of weeks/months?

Savitar

Just bake them a cake, in todays world being a pain about such things is just not smart business.

And jail for this, tad much people.

I just don't see how society would benefit from locking the guy up. Maybe suspending his business license for x number of weeks/months?

Yeah a few hundred hours community service would do the trick or maybe make him sit in on X number of sessions where LGBT people discuss how discrimination's affected them.

That said guys an asshole to the max.

I don't understand how you could face jail time for refusing to offer someone service, that should be your right and your decision.

Pretty shitty on that guy though, I don't know why you would even want to do business with a place like that.

ampere

Jail time would be extreme, but he probably won't get it from the looks of the story.

Guy is still pretty douchey, why not just make them wedding cake

No they cannot.. How many whites only signs have you seen?

i actually feel like, if you're a private business, you can put up white only sign. it's just that, i dunno, in this day and age, and anywhere outside of the south, you would lose all businesses...which would defeat the point of operating one

t26

For one thing people won't be refusing service to gay people if they know there will be prison time.

hom3land

Well I'm sure the prisoners are going to be happy. They'll be having some good desserts while he's locked up! Happy prisoners = equals less work for guards. Less stressed guards + happy prisoners = a betterment of society.

So the old saying "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." is a lie? You learn something new everyday.....
They admitted to refusing because they were gay. If they had just said no and not given a reason then they probably wouldn't have got in trouble.

I don't understand how you could face jail time for refusing to offer someone service, that should be your right and your decision.

I don't understand how you don't understand this, or anyone else in this thread for that matter. How do you think it should be a right to discriminate? It's a public business, and under Public Accomodation as well as a history of Civil Rights acts, you can't treat any customer/consumer differently, and rightfully so. What's hard to understand about that?

http://cdn.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DORA-DCR/CBON/DORA/1251629367385
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

sn00zer

Theoretically could they never refuse to make a cake for someone? Like, crazy example, KK wants a super offensive cake, can they refuse them service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom