• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gay Colorado couple accuses baker of discrimination over refused wedding cake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamel

Banned
No they cannot.. How many whites only signs have you seen?

Not that I condone it, but I guess the guy should have just said I am not making the cake for you, without specifying the reason.

Oh well.

A year of jail time is excessive, but he should be fined or something.

KHarvey16

Prison time is only a possible punishment, and only if this business refuses to honor the demands made by the court if he were to lose his case.

I wonder if this was like finding out about Santa
being fake
for this couple? Like they loved the cakes this bakery made and when they went to order one their hearts broke a little to see these people's true side.

Jail time is a bit much tho.

Not that I condone it, but I guess the guy should have just said I am not making the cake for you, without specifying the reason.

Oh well.

A year of jail time is excessive, but he should be fined or something.

I also thought this. Maybe the owners were making some dumb stand or point or some shit?

East Lake

Prison time is a bit nuts but I'm not sure at this point he is even facing that. AP says it could be a fine or at most the jail time if he refuses to cooperate.

The complaint seeks to force Masterpiece Cakeshop to "cease and desist" the practice of refusing wedding cakes for gay couples, and to tell the public that their business is open to everyone.

If Phillips loses the case and refuses to comply with the order, he would face fines of $500 per case and up to a year in jail, his attorney said.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/colo-gay-discrimination-alleged-over-wedding-cake

i actually feel like, if you're a private business, you can put up white only sign. it's just that, i dunno, in this day and age,and anywhere outside of the south, you would lose all businesses...which would defeat the point of operating one

Lol even in the South you would lose huge business in any med-big city. Birmingham for example is like 75% black.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
i actually feel like, if you're a private business, you can put up white only sign. it's just that, i dunno, in this day and age, and anywhere outside of the south, you would lose all businesses...which would defeat the point of operating one

Have we forgotten Chik-Fil-A appreciation day so quickly?

The Technomancer

that was against gays. not against black people. two separate types of people.

1.)This article is about gay people. Not black people.

2.)Do you believe the passage of anti-discrimination laws had no effect on the progress of civil rights both legally and in terms of public perception?

1.)This article is about gay people. Not black people.

2.)Do you believe the passage of anti-discrimination laws had no effect on the progress of civil rights both legally and in terms of public perception?

considering the fact that a lot of black people are against homosexuality, then you're comparing apples and oranges.

like i said, if a store comes out and say, we are against black people shopping here, do you think there'll be such a thing as that store's appreciation day by non-black customers? especially with this country's history?

I doubt it.

same difference. but you don't think there's anything wrong with being against homosexuality so eh.

personally? I think people are free to have whatever opinion they might have. As long as they don't use that opinion to physically or emotionally harm another person, then all the more power to them. if they express it, then you'll know which ones are the stupid one, and can think of them so.

considering the fact that a lot of black people are against homosexuality, then you're comparing apples and oranges.

like i said, if a store comes out and say, we are against black people shopping here, do you think there'll be such a thing as that store's appreciation day by non-black customers? especially with this country's history?

I doubt it.

This doesn't make a lick of sense.

The Technomancer

I doubt it.

I feel like you're deliberately missing the point. That was totally socially acceptable 40 years ago. Do you think the passing of laws had nothing to do with the fact that that has now changed?

The Technomancer

personally? I think people are free to have whatever opinion they might have. As long as they don't use that opinion to physically or emotionally harm another person, then all the more power to them. if they express it, then you'll know which ones are the stupid one, and can think of them so.

Wait, do you not think discrimination is emotionally harmful? Because that's the assumption that I think most of us are kind of just assuming is an axiom

All Colorado did was add sexual orientation to the list of classifications you cannot discriminate against when offering public accommodations.

Here we go. People shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against others for their sexual orientation. I have no problem with businesses having been forced to serve blacks in the 60's and I have no problem with this. Fuck the haters. One more step towards an ideal culture in my view.

And an American Spectator story by way of "Reagancoalition.com"? Haha.

They must be really good cakes for all that hassle.

But seriously, I find amazing that on this year and age people will rationalize blatant discrimination. One of the things I love about the city I live in is that basically every business has a sign that reads "In this place we don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sexual orientation or socio-economic status". Feels good. Feels very 2013.

Speevy

Banned
Force them to have a weekly "Gay Cake" day.

Like a senior discount but the cashier asks "Are you gay?" and gives everyone a free cake who says yes.

Eventually everyone is gay and the guy learns tolerance.

Kuroyume

Banned
I can't believe people on here think it is okay for a business to discriminate because it's a private business. It's so absurd I have to believe you're tolling for repspnses. Here's a scenario... If it were okay, white descriminating business owners could shore up all retail space in an area and prohibit non whites from using local businesses effectively segregating an area. It would mean non whites would have to travel far to get a service.

ivysaur12

Banned
see the voting breakdown of California's proposition 8.

See every single poll that's been done about gay marriage in the US that shows, demographically, a clear majority of black Americans are for gay marriage. If you want to use a non-scientific exit poll from one state over 4 years ago as your evidence for a bombastic proclemation, I can't help you there.

Reminds me of a scene from Southland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqzp8jHzKfQ

GOD I miss this show. Screw everyone who never watched.

And there it is.

Yup. Yeesh.

If you're actions are governed by some irrational hatred for a certain group of people then it's probably for the best that you don't enter into any public facing service or retail industry where you will inevitably come into contact with them. Better yet, stay at home, lock your doors and rot. Society won't miss you.

delirium

I can't believe people on here think it is okay for a business to discriminate because it's a private business. It's so absurd I have to believe you're tolling for repspnses. Here's a scenario... If it were okay, white descriminating business owners could shore up all retail space in an area and prohibit non whites from using local businesses effectively segregating an area. It would mean non whites would have to travel far to get a service.
You can technically discriminate all you want. The gov't just protects certain cases where you can't discriminate against (race, religion, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender, etc).

BowieZ

Banned
Prison time seems a bit much (though I'm not sure of the state's history of what crimes induce what sorts of sentences) - I mean, to act as a deterrent for future crimes of that nature, I guess?

But forcing them to sit in on LGBT awareness seminars and related community service seems a bit more productive than daily bouts of gay sex in prison.

You can discriminate as much as you want unless its a protected category. Sexual orientation is a protected category.

It's surprising to me how few people know this.

Enzom21

see the voting breakdown of California's proposition 8.

Those exit polls were wrong, but keep believing us big scary negroes are to blame.

http://www.thetaskforce.org/downloads/issues/egan_sherrill_prop8_1_6_09.pdf
Hey look at that, Latino/Hispanic's must be against homosexuality they are 1% higher than blacks.
ScreenShot2013-07-14at113339PM.png

Skunkers

I don't understand how you don't understand this, or anyone else in this thread for that matter. How do you think it should be a right to discriminate? It's a public business, and under Public Accomodation as well as a history of Civil Rights acts, you can't treat any customer/consumer differently, and rightfully so. What's hard to understand about that?

http://cdn.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DORA-DCR/CBON/DORA/1251629367385
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act_of_1964

I think some people are confused because many businesses appear to have the right to deny service, though I'm not sure of the legality. See "No shoes, no shirt, no service" signs in convenience stores, dress requirements at high end restaurants, theme parks reserving the right to kick people out based on offensive tattoos/language, etc.

And before anyone out there decides to go building strawmans, I'm NOT saying this is right, equating dress codes to gay rights, or anything of the sort. Just clarifying where some people may be confused.

linsivvi

I think some people are confused because many businesses appear to have the right to deny service, though I'm not sure of the legality. See "No shoes, no shirt, no service" signs in convenience stores, dress requirements at high end restaurants, theme parks reserving the right to kick people out based on offensive tattoos/language, etc.

None of these are examples of discrimination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom