• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

Magilla

Banned
I really liked this movie. Dragged a friend and he enjoyed it as well. Going to convince my wife to go. She loves action/comic book movies. I'm like the rest in lamenting the poor box office.

phaonaut

dredd3d.jpg

Saw it in 3d, I think I need to order a 3d tv right now.
Or monitor....

I should have saved my glasses, threw them in the recycle bin out of habit.

Solo

Who cares if it was a "good Speed Racer"? It was a damned good movie, faithfulness to a cartoon or whatever be damned.

Love this movie. Great casting, great atmosphere, great soundtrack.

Ma-Ma's death at the end is the best villain death in recent memory.

Love this movie. Great casting, great atmosphere, great soundtrack.

Ma-Ma's death at the end is the best villain death in recent memory.

Definitely! I loved the direction and the way the movie takes its time. No need for explanation of who Dredd is and what he's been through, yet it was easily simplified and explained.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Saw it today, loved it.

Very smart movie, doesnt belittle its audience and had excellent pacing. Great casting too.

Hoping it does well internationally.

I saw this tonight. Including me and my fiance there was only 7 people in the theater. Good movie, something different than Stallone's movie.

Guiberu

Saw this last night.

Incredible.

Beautiful cinematography. Thoroughly gripping action. Foxy sidekick. Thumping soundtrack.

Urban was awesome. Better than Stallone by a large margin.

FUCKING AWESOME MOVIE!

Really impressed: start to finish.
I normally hate 3D movies (because I really don't have a single decent 3D cinema in my town), but hot-damn... the 3D worked out really well with this one!

Why is this film bombing so hard? It's an absolute gem!
Bad marketing? Memories of the campy Stallone version? No major star pushing it?

I really hope this film grows some legs, be it word of mouth or DVD/Bluray release.

I was frowning like Dredd all the way home thinking about there not being a sequel. :<

Oh, my impressions: I really enjoyed it. In a way, the wind was taken from its sales, as I saw The Raid for the first time last week, which was just insanely paced, but I was still able to appreciate Dredd.

I REALLY wish I hadn't seen it in 3D. I just don't think I'm a 3D person--I've seen "good" 3D movies (Transformers 3, Hugo) and it still just doesn't stick for me. It distracts, and given the grimy and, at times, hyper-realized world of Dredd, I felt like I couldn't appreciate what I otherwise recognized as unique and fun cinematography. I'm thinking about seeing it again in 2D.

Urban was fucking great as Dredd and I LOVE that he never takes his helmet off. Interesting that he used Clint Eastwood as his voice inspiration--I can totally hear it.

Olivia Thirlby was good as Anderson, but a little uneven in her delivery at times. I did like her character a lot, more than I thought I would, anyway. She's got that weirdhot look going for her, too.
I'm guessing that was a body double in Avon Barksdale's fantasy.

There were SOME plotholes that bugged me.
If Dredd is initially so anal about pass/fail (losing your gun is a fail), why didn't he mention her helmet sooner? Really, why didn't Ma-Ma just take them out when they were all trapped together? Did Dredd see Anderson behind Lex or was he just waiting/hoping she'd appear?

Otherwise, great moments:
Use of slow-mo that was actually motivated by the story. Some GRUESOME death scenes here.

Lena Headey chewing it up. Real fun to watch Ma-Ma.

Dredd after Ma-Ma's death: no one-liner, just: "...yeah."

Dredd tossing Ma-Ma's henchmen over the railing and then walking back through the smoke=BOSS.

High explosive to the head!

The dialogue, for the most part, was the perfect mix of cheese and badass. I didn't like the "in your mind" scene at first, simply because of the line "No. We're in your head" or whatever it was, but they made it interesting, visually and story-wise.

Good stuff. Shame it's not doing better, I'd totally love to see more Urban Dredd.

catabarez

He mentions her helmet almost immediately when they enter the building. It isn't necessary for her survival like the gun.

He mentions her helmet almost immediately when they enter the building. It isn't necessary for her survival like the gun.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't.
They enter the building and she is without their helmet, they go to the lobby/commons area, inspect the bodies, find out which room to assault, and when they stack up at the door, he says something like, "By the way, I'm wondering how long before you notice you forgot your helmet."

When I saw her without the helmet as they entered Peach Trees, I figured it was because of her psychic ability, but it just seemed a bit out of character for him to mention it until right before they clear a room.

No, because they go from the Hall of Justice to Peach Trees, and she puts the helmet on while they ride...right?
You're right. It was right before they cleared the room.

It was before any combat had actually gone down and not actually that long after they got in to Peach Trees though so I didn't have a problem with it.

You're right. It was right before they cleared the room.

It was before any combat had actually gone down and not actually that long after they got in to Peach Trees though so I didn't have a problem with it.

Not a deal-breaker by any means, just thought it was a little out of character for Dredd, at that point when he was still a hardass to her. I was surprised that I liked Anderson's character and their relationship--no stupid bonding moments, just an eventual understanding and respect for one another.

OK I'm gonna check this out tonight, fuck it.

Plugged it on my Facebook page.
I just think a lot of people either:
-don't realize it's out,
-think it's just a low budget/no star-power 'remake' of the Stallone film,
-saw Total Recall and decided to just pass on new sci-fi films for the time being.

I dunno... but I've already had a few people comment along the lines of "Assumed it would suck, might go see it now!"

Really wish this could be a film that fans push/drag along to make back its cost, but regardless, I can see this being somewhat of a cult-classic down the line.

lupinko

Saw it again on Tuesday, and will probably watch it again tonight but this time with D-BOX (seat that moves/vibrates based on the movie's sound).

Dredd is sooooooooo good.

Thirlby is sooooooooo hot.

I rarely watch movies 3 times in the theatre, tho in recent memory I've done this with Inglourious Basterds, Grindhouse and The Dark Knight.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I've never watched a movie twice in theaters but im considering doing it for Dredd. That's how much I loved it. Ticket prices are insane for 3D though. I had to pay $16.

Solo

You gotta love the Anderson helmet excuse.

In the movie's logic: psychic's ability would be dampened greatly by a helmet!
In reality: movie exec - "we can't have the hot girl's face hidden!"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Well, that's kind of the comic's excuse, too.

Offers one of the best lines in the movie though.
"I think a bullet would mess with the psychic ability a bit more..."

Apparently it was all independently made so no execs, but yeah. I'm sure that was part of the thinking lol. It helps to have at least one good guy's face you can relate with though which was probably the main reason (in this case at least).

kaskade

I'm definitely going to try and see it. It just sucks that I'm going to have to travel a bit of a distance. Soundtrack sounds damn good though.

It's from the comic right?

Yes.

I finally got a chance to watch the film last night. I was afraid the film wouldn't be able to live up to the script, but thankfully it delivered on every promise Garland made on the page. I'm sure that's because Garland was so heavily involved with the production. There was a real Escape from New York vibe to the proceedings. Urban made a fine Dredd. They did a great job depicting Mega-City One, even with the limited scope of the film. It was nice seeing a small window into what life is like in one of these blocks. It truly felt like a real lived-in world. The soundtrack was dark, gritty and suitably Industrial flavored. That said, I'd still like to hear it with the Drokk soundtrack. It's a damn shame there likely won't be another film. I would have loved to see them venture into the Cursed Earth.

I saw this today. I loved it. Fucking loved it.

Great atmosphere. Great action. Good action movie script. Cinematography were awesome. I was sucked in. Great world.

Urban was awesome. Way better than Stallone. Anderson and Dredd were great together.

Matter of fact, Urban makes everything enjoyable to me :)

I hope the box office picks up and or it does well overseas.

I want a sequel bad.

I need to go watch it again in 3D, before it's out of theaters :(

Top Bottom