• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

phaonaut

ive been subbed to Judge Dredd Megazine for over two years now. the colors range from not colored to blood splattery red. this movie was a visual feast especially combined with the soundtrack. mama's requiem can put you into a coma.

Is the megazine worth the subscription costs? Is it easy to transition into?

Stronty

Can anyone guess why heatseeking rounds weren't used in the Lawgiver? I guess the writer may have thought that heat seeking bullets to be too outlandish, though the 'hotshot' may have been some sort of heat round.
Richocet rounds would have been nice to see too.

Anyone else see an apartment dweller that looked like Sam Slade RoboHunter?

Stronty

Meh sounds like generic electronic music.

Just rewatched Judge Dredd. The orchestral score is pretty ott. Lotsa brass
j

Jerry Goldsmith's trailer music was fantastic and lively. Silvestri's score is much more subdued. Too bad Jerry didnt get a chance to expand on the trailer, it feels like an evolution of the Rambo score.

Road

So many stupid characters in stupid situations.

The guy who plays Dredd is horrible. The psychic girl is cute, though.

Cersei is usually smarter than this. Must have been the drugs.

I guess the soundtrack was nice.

MjFrancis

Showtimes for Dredd in my area have been cut in half. Among the eight theaters close by, one has five showings, three have three showings and four have two showings. On a Friday!

Cult status will have to be garnered from the home video market for this movie to get some recognition.

Future

So many stupid characters in stupid situations.

The guy who plays Dredd is horrible. The psychic girl is cute, though.

Cersei is usually smarter than this. Must have been the drugs.

I guess the soundtrack was nice.

Hah, and why was dredd so horrible. He was pretty one note (which seemed like the point), but nothing seemed that jarring about him.

Cersei had some smart moves throughout most of the movie. Dredd got lucky a lot of the way, especially because of psychic chick

lupinko

Just watched Dredd again last night for the third time, this time with D-Box (seriously this is the way movies should be seen), D-Box being the motion chair that moves based on synchronization with the movie. It's just so good, I can't say enough about this movie.

Also I bought Jock's Mondo Dredd Print just now, and trying to get the theatrical poster as well. :D

geebee

Banned
Just watched Dredd again last night for the third time, this time with D-Box (seriously this is the way movies should be seen), D-Box being the motion chair that moves based on synchronization with the movie. It's just so good, I can't say enough about this movie.
D-Box sounds pretty embarrassing/awkward for everyone... not just the ones sitting in the D-Box seats.

Aselith

Damn, this movie was pretty awesome. It had a similar story to the The Raid which was a much better action movie but I really enjoyed Dredd. It was a really nice surprise and definitely not what I expected. Found a great new band due to this movie. Vitalic which was playing when they enter the apartment where they find the dude that stays with them during the movie kicks fucking ass.

Suairyu

Banned
In the movie's logic: psychic's ability would be dampened greatly by a helmet!
In reality: movie exec - "we can't have the hot girl's face hidden!"
Actually in this case they have the very real need of providing a more relatable character than Dredd. If both protagonists were faceless then you'd lose an important part of the emotional connection with the audience.

Having a 2nd character without helmet was a very smart decision.

lupinko

Actually in this case they have the very real need of providing a more relatable character than Dredd. If both protagonists were faceless then you'd lose an important part of the emotional connection with the audience.

Having a 2nd character without helmet was a very smart decision.

Also it just so happens that Judge Anderson already goes helmetless in the comics in the first place.

rakhir

Movie premiered today in my country and I just got out of the theater.
It was fantastic, I don't have anything bad to say about it. Dredd himself was awesomely acted, Urban gave him exactly the no-nonsense gravitas the part needed, and I was impressed by Thrilby. Realism of everything made the movie even better, everything was believable, from the action to environments. Plot wasn't complicated, but was executed extremely well.

Hopefully it will get some money outside states, i would love to see a sequel, hopefully with both Dredd and Anderson, i just loved their chemistry.

Thinking of seeing Dredd today...can I see 2D and be fine?

It's a 9:40 am showing, meaning the theater may be mine alone...granted that only happened once during A Sound of Thunder...which was awesome (just me and my wife making fun of the movie). If no one is there I might do a live post blog of the movie. lol

Aselith

It's a 9:40 am showing, meaning the theater may be mine alone...granted that only happened once during A Sound of Thunder...which was awesome (just me and my wife making fun of the movie). If no one is there I might do a live post blog of the movie. lol

I watched it in 2D and it was fine.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
War Zone is awesome. Full. Stop.

It got the spirit and the grittiness of Frank Castle better than any other movie before, but the writing was terrible.

Terrible.

It was *this* close to being the perfect film adaptation of the franchise, but in the end it got way too dumb for its good.

It got the spirit and the grittiness of Frank Castle better than any other movie before, but the writing was terrible.

Terrible.

It was *this* close to being the perfect film adaptation of the franchise, but in the end it got way too dumb for its good.

the mistake was using jigsaw as the villain of the movie. he wasn't developed anywhere near enough and his brother even less so.

apart from that aspect and the writing as you mentioned, it was a good movie and perfectly captured the essence and feel of frank castle and his punisher alter ego. it was refreshing after the poor first movie with thomas jane and john travolta.

McLovin

Wow this movie was waaaaaaay better then I thought it would be. I hope they make a sequel. I don't get the Dredd hate, I thought he was awesome. Kind of strange that he never took off his helmet.

ezekial45

Banned
Wow this movie was waaaaaaay better then I thought it would be. I hope they make a sequel. I don't get the Dredd hate, I thought he was awesome. Kind of strange that he never took off his helmet.
Yeah, that's one of the most interesting things about him. In the comics they've never showed his face. The closest they got was when they placed a large censor bar over his head. He's supposed to be a pure symbol for justice and law. Which is why so many people were pissed about the Stallone movie.

Anyway, Paul Shipper did a nice art piece for Dredd.
http://psstudio.posterous.com/dredd-for-jock

9IS44.jpg

GhaleonEB

See it. You will love it.

I'm going back a second time tonight.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I have to say that while I didn't like the Lawgiver very much, Dredd's uniform worked much better than it should.

it was refreshing after the poor first movie with thomas jane and john travolta.
I kind of liked Jane's version, even if it was bland and soft. You can tell he actually enjoyed the character and wanted to do something cool with it. Shame about the rest.

Fox Mulder

I have to say that while I didn't like the Lawgiver very much, Dredd's uniform worked much better than it should.

I kind of liked Jane's version, even if it was bland and soft. You can tell he actually enjoyed the character and wanted to do something cool with it. Shame about the rest.

maybe I would have liked Jane's Punisher more if Man on Fire hadn't utterly destroyed it. Character development was basically non existent in the Punisher, the two movies go for the same revenge/punishment thing, and I liked the action from Denzel better than a movie based on a comic. It was even crazy how they were released a week apart in 2004.

Movie of the Year so far for me. Fuck Batman and other summer blockbuster movie which name eludes me. Also very worth a 3D viewing. Its so stylistically shot, and absolutely gorgeous at times, that the 3D really adds to the movie.

Finally saw this and yeah, def my movie of the year

Lol you weren't alone. I turned to my friends at the end of the movie, telling them I was hoping to see the same thing.
Her face obliterated, neck smash, rest of the torso come rippling down
Would've been an awesome scene

I actually didn't wanna see it ...And I'm Usually a gore hound

It just would have been too gratuitous and unnecessary

GhaleonEB

Welp. Friday is down 70% from last week.

Rarely does a movie bombing make me angry, but this is one of those exceptions. There's an enormous gulf between the box office performance and the quality of the film.

ezekial45

Banned
This is soooo frustrating. This is just fucking sad.
LLShC.gif

I feel worse for Alex Garland. Considering all the hoops he had to go through for this one. He said that he had such a hard time getting projects off the ground after Sunshine didn't do so well. This one is doing worse. I don't know how his other Sci-Fi movie is gonna work out now.

I just don't get it. Why is it bombing like this? Is it a crowded schedule? I mean, shit. We're gonna get the movie by the end of October at this rate.

70%? Dredd is basically the bunker buster of sci-fi bombs.

Fuck me.

Pluto Nash still holds that title.

Somnia

This is soooo frustrating. This is just fucking sad.
LLShC.gif

I feel worse for Alex Garland. Considering all the hoops he had to go through for this one. He said that he had such a hard time getting projects off the ground after Sunshine didn't do so well. This one is doing worse. I don't know how his other Sci-Fi movie is gonna work out now.

I just don't get it. Why is it bombing like this? Is it a crowded schedule? I mean, shit. We're gonna get the movie by the end of October at this rate.

Pluto Nash still holds that title.

Sadly the advertisement didn't do it justice to the non-sci fi crowd. Word of mouth is fantastic, so I'm sure it'll do fine on bluray, etc.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Most people weren't even aware of the existence of the movie. The marketing campaign was an absolute failiure.

I hope optical sales are through the roof.

ezekial45

Banned
Most people weren't even aware of the existence of the movie. The marketing campaign was an absolute failiure.

I hope optical sales are through the roof.

Yeah, that's a good point. The movie was largely funded by Indian production countries, and they got Lionsgate to do the marketing. They seemed to have only stuck with the niche market. I didn't see any commercial on the big networks or on billboards around town.

A friend of mine who is a huuuuge comic nerd didn't even know this movie was out. >_<

Sadly the advertisement didn't do it justice to the non-sci fi crowd. Word of mouth is fantastic, so I'm sure it'll do fine on bluray, etc.

Yeah, I hope they go all out. They better get this movie on DD services and home video asap.

Top Bottom