• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

Alphahawk

Just got out. It was awesome! One thing I loves was the way everything looked. It's like a cross between modern and futuristic. They don't dress up Peach Trees with neon lights and video screens as it's just a ghetto.

Welp. Friday is down 70% from last week.

Rarely does a movie bombing make me angry, but this is one of those exceptions. There's an enormous gulf between the box office performance and the quality of the film.

gwEQ7.gif

-Mikey-

Just got back from seeing it. I thought the 3D was unnecessary but I loved it whenever slow mo was involved. A lot of the dialogue seemed dry at times. Urban did a solid job as Dredd and I really loved the design of the suits for the judges. I hope there is a future for Dredd.

GhaleonEB

As good, if not better, a second time through. Really tight, stylish film with no fat.

Feel-good movie of the year for me, so far.

jett

D-Member
Just watched it, it's a lean and mean kick-ass action machine. Ocasionally gorgeous, cool use of slow motion, I really enjoyed it(not sure if the 3D was essential). Gotta say I was pretty much engrossed by the visuals. It's a shame Dredd wasn't a success, but I hope the director can land on his feet.

There were only 3 of us in the theater. Is word of mouth good for anything these days? :p

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
DVD isn't going to save it. This shit is toasted. Be happy we got something as fun as we did.

I'd advise anyone interested in seeing it, to see it this weekend. Its definitely loosing the majority of its theaters this week.

TUROK

Oh well, now we can be like those geezers and reminisce about the olden days.

"Back in my day, action movies had people getting their heads and limbs blown off, and that's how we liked it."

LaneDS

Seeing this tonight since it clearly won't be in theaters much longer.

Question for GAF- see it in 3D or 2D? Haven't heard too much on whether the 3D is worth it. Typically I don't enjoy 3D outside of the rare movie it seems well done (Prometheus and Avatar; no reflection on the quality of those movies, just that the 3D was really neat).

Sh1ner

Watched it at Cinema in 3D here, loved it, dragged my friend to see it. paid £10 and then 3 scoops of Ben and Jerries ice cream.

Only the ice cream disappointed. The movie was excellent, I will need to drag more friends to see it. I

PS, ice cream disappointed as I tried to try new flavours, Cherry Garcia ruined an otherwise ok mix.

Edit: part from me and my friend, there was 4 others in the entire viewing. This was on a Sunday evening at 18:00

KalBalboa

Banned
I was never a fan of Dredd, but some friends convinced me to go opening day.

I wound up seeing it twice during the first week and have to say it's been my biggest surprise in years when it comes to film. I'll be grabbing the Blu Ray for sure. I actually got what the character was about and really appreciated the practicals-first approach to the action scenes. Even the opening chase scene, as brief and simple as it was, had me more interested than anything I've seen in a newer Marvel Comics film (aside from some of the Hulk and Xmen stuff) or Michael Bay movie.

It's not the best movie ever made or anything, but if you are in your mid-twenties or older I highly recommend seeing it. I give it a B+.

kaskade

Saw it, really liked it. It was definitely a fun movie and I'm trying to figure out why it's doing so poorly. I'm assuming it's a bit of a marketing thing.

My friend and I were the only 2 in the theater.

LaneDS

Saw it tonight (2D) and loved it. No nonsense sci-fi action. Wasted no time, action had nice weight and impact to it, Dredd himself was sufficiently badass. Shame it's tanking.

JDSN

Banned
It sucks that there wont be a sequel, the ending was a promise of what will never come. :(

And I know theres no chance in hell we get a series starting the two leads, probably some prequel with Avon Barksdale and Ma-ma which...sounds awesome.

LaneDS

It sucks that there wont be a sequel, the ending was a promise of what will never come. :(

And I know theres no chance in hell we get a series starting the two leads, probably some prequel with D'Angelo Barksdale and Ma-ma which...sounds awesome.

Ahem, Avon Barksdale.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Dredd was such a surprisingly good movie. And that soundtrack...did they rip it directly from Shadowrun on Sega Genesis?!

Sapiens

Glad I got a chance to see it in a theatre last night (there were at most, 10 people).

Fucking spot on action film. Dredd was cool as hell.

It's not the best movie ever made or anything, but if you are in your mid-twenties or older I highly recommend seeing it. I give it a B+.
Yes, right. I think people who grew up with action movies from the 80s and 90s would really appreciate this.

I liked seeing the good guys be the most BA characters in the movie. Example: Anderson vs.
Judge Judy
. If this were a Marvel flick that would have been a tedious conflict with Anderson being the naive good guy whose morals put her ar risk, with a narrow but predictable escape.

I went to see this on Friday and haven't had a chance to talk about it. It was also the first 3d movie I have seen so that was interesting.

3D- Well it was much more interesting to watch than I expected. It's almost a shame that the car commercial I had to sit through had the best 3D. I'm not sure I like how it divides every shot you see into hard layers that don't always make things look right. I think it makes bad/suspect cgi effects look worse but it was really cool and I will likely see the next big action movie in 3d.

movie- Hell Yeah! This is really the Dredd movie I wanted. First, having it be Anderson's first day and tell her story was a great idea. It was a really good idea not to get into much back story at all and it highlights why the other Dredd movie was so bad. They bring you into this world (possibly for the first time) but they didn't bog it down. you don't need to know Dredd history how the Megacity 1 really works. Here's the city, here's Dredd, it's training day, GO! As soon as the
'blast doors' came down
and you figure out this is your whole movie, I got really pumped. People kept asking me 'how was it' and the best answer I came up with was 'as a person who would willing pay to see a Judge Dredd movie I got exactly what I wanted.'

I'll own it for sure.

Robot Pants

Movie: 8.5/10
Soundtrack: 10/10
Really enjoyed this a lot.

Originally I wanted to see this at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre, since they are FINALLY PLAYING A MOVIE THAT ISN'T COMPLETE GARBAGE, (don't understand how that theater has the best screen ever but CONSTANTLY plays the world's shittiest movies), but we planned on movie hopping today to see this and Looper (also really good).
So tomorrow I'm going for my second viewing at the Chinese.

refreshZ

I did my bit for The Cause. Saw it again in 3D with a group of mates last night.

There were 2 other people in the screening. :-/

LaneDS

Movie: 8.5/10
Soundtrack: 10/10
Really enjoyed this a lot.

Originally I wanted to see this at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre, since they are FINALLY PLAYING A MOVIE THAT ISN'T COMPLETE GARBAGE, (don't understand how that theater has the best screen ever but CONSTANTLY plays the world's shittiest movies), but we planned on movie hopping today to see this and Looper (also really good).
So tomorrow I'm going for my second viewing at the Chinese.

The soundtrack really did enhance a lot of the tension and impact of certain scenes, good call on that.

Movie was great saw it opening day only to be disappointed when I found out how bad it did at the end of the week. Where was the advertisement for this movie? It was good surprise hit that is selling like Equilibrium did when it came out, little no advertising but still a great movie. Although the story and visuals and acting are way better than Equilibrium. Oh and that
Door Breach slow-mo scene in 3D was fuckin awesome!

GhaleonEB

Yes, right. I think people who grew up with action movies from the 80s and 90s would really appreciate this.

I liked seeing the good guys be the most BA characters in the movie. Example: Anderson vs.
Judge Judy
. If this were a Marvel flick that would have been a tedious conflict with Anderson being the naive good guy whose morals put her ar risk, with a narrow but predictable escape.

Yes, that confrontation had a really satisfying conclusion. I think those kind of moments are why the action was largely superb: it doesn't linger needlessly or pull punches. Seeing that for the first time, I was thinking,
"Why doesn't Anderson just see what the other Judge is going to do, and kill her?

And then she does. Bam, moves on, no fucking around.

The brief shootout during the finale when Dredd and Anderson are really clicking and working in unison to
close in on Ma-Ma
is among my favorite action sequences in recent years. It's brief and not flashy, but it's superbly shot and cut, and in tandem with the music is quite exhilarating. Coming on the heels of what they'd each gone through, it was incredibly satisfying.

I left the theater from both my showings grinning from ear to ear. Will definitely pick up the Blu-Ray.

My brother after leaving the film:

"Stallone was a better dredd."

Me:

"shut the fuck up, you're insane."

It's sad that a stallone sequel probably would have made significantly more money. It's pretty disheartening seeing this movie bomb.

Any chance the international numbers could at least break even?

8bit

Knows the Score
In the US for business, so had a spare night and went to see it. Man, it was fantastic. Been reading 2000AD on and off since 1977 and never expected to see such a well realised version of the character on screen, not only that but the 3D was really good.

Maddocks

I enjoyed the hell out of the movie.

as a fan of the first one, I can say this one beat it completely in terms of what dredd should be like. I liked how other judges know dredds reputation but common criminals don't really care. Makes dredd more of a everyman just doing his job.

thank goodness for no silly ammo....double wammy!.....shame is bombed badly.

Keikaku

I saw this movie again with 4 friends who had never seen it or read the comics. They all loved it!

I was especially taken with some of the details that I had missed the first time around, like the sign of the beggar at the entrance to Peach Trees which read
Will debase self for credits

I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was just as good the 2nd time round as it was the 1st. This movie needed and deserved a lot more love than it got.

dmshaposv

Finally saw this.

Great film. So many movies try to capture the 80s action fare - but fail. Dredd 3d nailed it.

The set design/aesthetics, the brutal action and the lean mean story with some logical exposition (e.g slow mo as plot device not snyder esque whoring) makes it a vastly better film than the stallone version.

I loved how this movie executed the "lockdown in building" idea far better than The Raid - which honestly was lame (plot wise) beyond the action choreography (repeatitive).

8/10

Saw it again. Great on the second watch as well. Was about 30 people in the theater. My first time it was like 10. It's getting better! lol.

Top Bottom