• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

jdl

Banned
So this has disappeared from the Dallas theaters this week. Bummer; had hoped to catch it one more time. I imagine they'll put it to DVD as fast as humanly possible.

Salsa

Just saw this. Loved it. Small references to stuff like Strontium Dog and Kenny Who? made me all giddy

super bummed about the box office

Stronty

What are some quintessential Dredd trades to pick up? Are the comics still being made?

BLOCKMANIA/Apocalypse War. JUDGE CHILD QUEST and Day The Law Died are must reads from the early days. Yes, Dredd is still written without reboots since 1977 and found in weekly Brit anthology 2000 AD as well as Judge Dredd Megazine.

IDW starts publishing their own Dredd comic next month. Personally I prefer the everyday Dredd stories, such as the time he arrests 2 perps that blow the door off of Dredd's basement apartment hoping to rob the place,not lnowing who lives there. Dredd arrests both of them without ever leaving his bathtub.

This came out in the dollar theater so going to see it again tonight. Not 3D though, which ought to be interesting to see how it is in 2D...

Replicant

Just saw the film. So fucking awesome. Every dirtbag in that film got what they deserve, especially Ma Ma.

It's unfortunate that it wasn't more popular in the cinema. They should release it with a steelbook on Blu-ray and hopefully it'll attract more viewers in the home theater.

Stronty

Dredd was already pulled from the local dollar theater after one week, maybe the DVD release will be out before Xmas.

I wonder what USA law enforcement thinks about Dredd, I imagine leo's will mostly ignore the film. Alan Grant has said that he got out of a few traffic tiickets in the UK when he answered that his profession was writing Batman and Judge Dredd comics.

Bleepey

Dredd was already pulled from the local dollar theater after one week, maybe the DVD release will be out before Xmas.

I wonder what USA law enforcement thinks about Dredd, I imagine leo's will mostly ignore the film. Alan Grant has said that he got out of a few traffic tiickets in the UK when he answered that his profession was writing Batman and Judge Dredd comics.

That's funny and somewhat scary.

Caught this in the dollar theater last week and enjoyed it quite a bit. Going in I knew it wasn't going to be anything more than a fun action film and that was all I wanted. I pretty much enjoy Urban in everything and he was great here once again.

Boerseun

Banned
I was browsing ebay for gamecube games and saw that it had a judge dredd game. I bought it blindly, but it can't be worse than the genesis Stallone game, right?

It has split-screen co-op for the campaign. That is its saving grace, in my opinion. It's a fair bit of fun playing co-op, but that doesn't mean it isn't a poor representation of Judge Dredd's world and characters.

8bit

Knows the Score

Doubtful, the 2000AD tweet droid linked it on Amazon.co.uk earlier this week with a January release date.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008OGHUFK/

Just saw the film. So fucking awesome. Every dirtbag in that film got what they deserve, especially Ma Ma.

It's unfortunate that it wasn't more popular in the cinema. They should release it with a steelbook on Blu-ray and hopefully it'll attract more viewers in the home theater.

Movie's going to be like Hellboy - it's going to get a sequel out of DVD sales.

lupinko

Movie's going to be like Hellboy - it's going to get a sequel out of DVD sales.

Well I don't want to be doubtful but Hellboy also had the benefit of another studio picking it up (Universal did part 2, whereas Sony did the first).

Then again this is Lionsgate and maybe they'll come back again for a part 2.

Came back from a screening a couple of hours ago. This majestic movie was shown as an opening movie for a 4-day horror/indie film festival here in Finland and this screening had about 300 people watching it.

What a tight and gripping no-nonsense movie! I simply can't understand, how in the hell can a movie of this quality bomb so hard. I chuckled out loud at this quote: "What's it gonna be, kids? Body bags or juve cubes? Makes no difference to me."

Tacitus_

This finally opened here. I'm going to do my part tomorrow.

E: Fucking hell, 14€ for a ticket and only a single showing.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
It's pretty damn depressing this thing is bombing so hard. I'd rather have a steady stream of Dredd movies then all those tame X-Men/Avengers/Superhero drivel Marvel/DC excel in.

SpacLock

I saw this in theaters a few weeks ago because of all of the hype. I love Karl Urban and I especially love violent action movies, but there was some cheesiness to this movie that I just could not get over. It was still solid and I want to support their effort. An easy 7.5 out of 10 to me.

Tacitus_

Just came home from a show. Shieeeeeeeet.
"The perps were uncooperative"

Some people actually started clapping and cheering at the end of the film. I think that's the second time I've ever seen that.

Bleepey

I discussed with a friend of mine about the two Dredd films. I said the Urban Dredd lacked in social satire whilst the Stallone one had a fair bit of it. If the urban film was a cake it would lack icing but still be tasty since everything else as well done, the Stallone film would lack sugar in that it looked good but lacked a core ingredient that made it palatable. Both contain a lot of core ingredients but both are missing something crucial to be perfect. What does GAF think?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I discussed with a friend of mine about the two Dredd films. I said the Urban Dredd lacked in social satire whilst the Stallone one had a fair bit of it. If the urban film was a cake it would lack icing but still be tasty since everything else as well done, the Stallone film would lack sugar in that it looked good but lacked a core ingredient that made it palatable. Both contain a lot of core ingredients but both are missing something crucial to be perfect. What does GAF think?

Dredd had plenty of social satire, it is just more nuanced and less humorous. IE: The beggar dabasing himself for credits (and then being given a ginormous penalty for it) or judge Anderson showing that the judicature is basically a totalitarian/fascist system that sees everything in black and white.

At times it felt like a slightly less heavy handed version of an early Verhoeven film. You could tell me that Dredd takes place in a post-Robocop/Total Recall world and I'd totally believe it.

Bleepey

Dredd had plenty of social satire, it is just more nuanced and less humorous. IE: The beggar dabasing himself for credits (and then being given a ginormous penalty for it) or judge Anderson showing that the judicature is basically a totalitarian/fascist system that sees everything in black and white.

At times it felt like a slightly less heavy handed version of an early Verhoeven film. You could tell me that Dredd takes place in a post-Robocop/Total Recall world and I'd totally believe it.

All I recall about the beggar was he was gonna be arrested for loitering, as for the black and white musculature I thought that was more Dredd than the Chief Judge and other judges. It was Dredd that wanted her removed, but it was the Chief Judge that gave her a second chance cos she had a lot of potential. Yes Dredd thought it waz admirable Anderson saw that there were good people in the Mega blocks, but Dredd still only stunned armed kids instead of shooting them dead or arresting someone for not throwing himself off a building as Schneider didn't do in the first film.

boinx

Finally saw this last weekend. This movie opened here like 2 weeks ago and it's screenings have been limited as fuck, only 3 showings per week and i'm pretty sure it's going out of the theaters soon if not already. But anyway i really liked the film and it's definitely one my favorites that i have seen this year. The violence was glorious even though i thought there could have been a little more blood when people were getting shot. Karl Urban is the perfect Dredd and i really liked his dynamic with Anderson. Soundtrack was great, lots of bass, cool breakbeats and cool ambiance, the song that played during some of the slow-mo parts was beautiful too. Overall it was a really entertaining film and i'm really disappointed that this bombed so hard.. Will support the bluray release.

Bleepey

75117_498441756841285_576740372_n.jpg

I am watching the Liam Neeson Les Mis on Netflix at the moment and saw this.

DodgerSan

BLOCKMANIA/Apocalypse War. JUDGE CHILD QUEST and Day The Law Died are must reads from the early days. Yes, Dredd is still written without reboots since 1977 and found in weekly Brit anthology 2000 AD as well as Judge Dredd Megazine.

IDW starts publishing their own Dredd comic next month. Personally I prefer the everyday Dredd stories, such as the time he arrests 2 perps that blow the door off of Dredd's basement apartment hoping to rob the place,not lnowing who lives there. Dredd arrests both of them without ever leaving his bathtub.

You forgot The Cursed Earth, and the Dark Judges (if that's been traded).

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'm waiting for this to hit the smaller scale theaters, the shitty $4 ones, just so I can see it again on a big screen. It seems like they don't even want it. And yet they're playing shit like Sinister and 'Here Comes the Boom'.

Top Bottom