• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

ezekial45

Banned
Karl Urban on the possibility of sequels

“If we could do Judge Death and the dark judges in the next one, that would be fantastic. But look, if that happens, phenomenal. I would be on board. But if it doesn’t, I think that all of us who are involved in making this film are really proud of it. [...] All I can really say is I would be up for it. But in the same sense, there’s no way that I’m counting any chickens here. It has to find an audience. That might not be in its initial theatrical run. It might be in DVD. Or maybe the financials will never stack up to warrant making another one. In that case we’re left with a pretty damn amazing graphic cult classic of a movie. That’s good too. That’s fine. Dredd is enigmatic. He is mysterious. And if this is the end of the line, then that’s a good note to end it on. Leave them wanting more.”

alterno69

Banned
I saw this a couple of days ago, i liked it. Really well done action shots and the super slow mo and 3d worked great. I'm gonna miss the slow mo stuff if it's not in the sequel.

Biff

It's pretty cool that this thread is 650+ posts deep. Word of mouth here is great. I got a couple friends to see it with me who otherwise wouldn't have cared.

But the numbers... Oh, Karl Urban, the numbers. #34 all-time biggest third week theatre drop. That's a pretty important metric that really paints how badly this movie bombed :(

LaneDS

Urban's comments are spot-on in any case, and I am hopeful positive word of mouth at least gives the movie some legs on home release. Certainly didn't require a big budget considering what they did, although I imagine a Judge Death movie would be considerably more FX-heavy (and totally awesome).

If it never gets made, I hope we at least hear what they had in mind for how they'd introduce elements like the undead into the movie universe.

nib95

Banned
I've been really disappointed with movies so far in 2012, but this was one that unexpectedly surprised me for the better. Definitely be getting this on Bluray, and yes I hope it makes enough in dvd and Bluray sales to usher in a sequel!

Just read up on Judge Death on wikipedia.

DAMN! I would loved to have seen Urban's Dredd face off against that supernatural monster onscreen. Sounds so awesome!

I just spent the last 2 hours reading through dredd wiki links as well. I want to see these space colonies and hondo city.

damn interesting stuff.

jerry113

Banned
Got back. Liked it. Very violent and stylized, and almost artistic. I'm a sucker for dystopian settings, and would have liked to see more of the world they created in further sequels.

Just read up on Judge Death on wikipedia.

DAMN! I would loved to have seen Urban's Dredd face off against that supernatural monster onscreen. Sounds so awesome!

I just spent the last 2 hours reading through dredd wiki links as well. I want to see these space colonies and hondo city.

damn interesting stuff.

SUCH RICH LORE. From the hilarious to the ultra-macabre, and a plethora of very interesting characters to throw into the mix.

Enjoyed it!

Did get a heavy feeling of wholesale lifting from Serbuan Maut tho

I watched both close together and while there similarities, there wasn't much ripping off of each others movies here. this has been in production for years if I'm correct, it doesn't seem plausible to me that they reworked the entire movie in a few weeks or months to be more like the the raid. it's more of a case of a happy coincidence that they share some themes, but they both have their own unique take on that theme.

it's not like it's not a popular theme anyway, there are a number of movies and other media which have a similar theme and story. it takes away from the excellent work the director and everyone did on dredd to say it's a rip off of another movie.

a rip off of another movie or perhaps remake is more accurate is quarantine and rec. I honestly don't know why quarantine exists, it's a scene for scene rip of rec with a less likeable cast and lead actress.

Quarantine is an official remake, actually.

oh it is. I take it back then, but it existing is pointless in my opinion.

for me, its release was the point where I really began to notice how far hollwood had declined. it was a cynical cash grab of a semi popular foreign movie and one that still leaves a bad taste because they weren't able to replicate the atmosphere or anything else that made rec the semi popular movie it was.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Quarantine's biggest problem is that it was a completely unnecessary film. AFAIK it wasn't even a full release. Why not dub [REC] (was that ever the case?) and release it in America like any other film? It is not like cultural differences could ruin it.

Hmm, there doesn't seem to be any Judge Dredd stuff on Comixology? I type Dredd into the search and nothing comes up. Am I missing something?

Quadratic

Got back from seeing it at a matinee since it's a holiday today in Canada. Absolutely loved it. Been meaning to see it since TIFF's midnight madness (wish I saw it then). Only 5 people in the theatre and it's disappearing from theatres in Toronto. It was a very focused film with a lot of great slow mo action. And 3d that worked quite well. It's a shame it's tanking. I really want to see more from this reboot.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Just back from it. Went in with zero expectations or knowledge of the character but came away pretty surprised- film was awesome. Really tight pacing with what felt like no unnecessary exposition, everything all focussed. Soundtrack was awesome and went perfectly I think.

Shame it's bombing, because it definitely won me over.

Finally got around to seeing this movie.

WOW. This is my first exposure to Dredd, but I've wanted to see this movie since I saw the first trailer.

I love "bad new future" movies and this one did not disappoint. I'd say I like it equally to Looper for different reasons (to me, it was futuristic Die Hard.) Two best movies of the year.

And I did not realize that the female judge was the love interest from The Wackness until IMDB.

Overall, loved it and glad my group could add to its box office revenue.

SkylineRKR

Excellent movie. Not only does it kill the Stallone flick, its also a very strong action movie on its own merits.

I wasn't bored for a single moment. The violence was extreme but functional, 3D was at its best when it counted, the opening was great, the ending was great.... its one of the best action movies of the year.

I'm losing faith in humanity if this tanks. Basically, I want that sequel.

Stronty

Dredd getting a decent movie is good exposure, I dont think the Stallone movie brought in all that many readers. NEW Dr Who is rather popular in the States, maybe once Dredd hits dvd, the fanbase will hopefully grow. I started reading Dredd back in 89' since I had heard he was having a crossover with Batman. Then I found out that Dredd was written by my favorite Batman writers. The us Dredd reprints had American artists doing the covers and had catchy phrases like 'Punish The Guilty, Keep The Innocent Nervous'. Dredd needs an easier way to keep readers current, 2000 AD usually needs to be special ordered and you only get 6 pages of Dredd. I imported 2000 AD for about 12 years,the anthology format makes it a hassle to store and to read. I know there is digital 2000 AD, but I imagine that you can only read Dredd in 6 page chunks, then switch over to the next issue, still a compromise. I will check out he IDW Dredd series, though only 3 writers IMO really have been able to write Dredd properly.

KlotePino

Saw it recently and just as disappointed looking at the box office sales as you guys are. I was sure that with the critical and fan acclaim it would at least climb up a little bit but it seems like they haven't even reached half their budget in revenue yet :(. It especially bums me out because I think Urban is the defining Dredd and I can't imagine any actor nailing him better. I'm hoping for maybe some 3D and blu ray sales because I think visually it's a fantastic movie. Just ordered the soundtrack too which I loved and gave me Mass Effect vibes.

EDIT: For some reason I'm still incredibly naive when it comes to marketing and critical acclaim. 99% of sales really is just marketing after all :(.

Facism

can't wait for the optical release.

has anyone read the Day of Chaos story arc that finished up in 2000ad recently? brilliant, total catastrophe.

Fox Mulder

has anyone read the Day of Chaos story arc that finished up in 2000ad recently? brilliant, total catastrophe.

I read that it was scheduled for a jan 22nd release. Who knows if that has changed due to it bombing. I'd love for it to come out before christmas.

8bit

Knows the Score

I was a little bit disappointed but I missed the build up to it all, and missed some important details
eg, PJ Maybe has trapped the Dark Judges for later

However, as someone that stopped reading it a few years ago it's been great to get back into it.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I read that it was scheduled for a jan 22nd release. Who knows if that has changed due to it bombing. I'd love for it to come out before christmas.

Wouldn't it just get lost amongst all the other releases though- I know with games unless it's a triple A title things just don't sell as well as they're hoped to.

Eitherway, i'm day one with the release. Like I posted earlier the film was a huge surprise for me this year and it's killing me that it's flopped the way it has.

Stronty

DREDD is now showing at my local 1$ theater, that is the fastest I have ever seen a movie hit the discount theaters. Maybe 3d costs $2.

Still hoping to see this in the NYC area if possible. Anyway to find out if its been pulled for good from theaters? Should I just assume it has if none of the usual ticket sites list any showtimes?

Fox Mulder

I was browsing ebay for gamecube games and saw that it had a judge dredd game. I bought it blindly, but it can't be worse than the genesis Stallone game, right?

Saw it tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Amazing style and substance, beautifully shot, well acted, and unique. Loved the shout outs to The Sprawl in Neuromancer.

Top Bottom