• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

Metalmarc

Kinnect! Oh man, a game, i could just imagine shouting reload, double whammy etc for the lawgiver & i am the law at the creeps ha ha

Oh, and if you like Dredd, you'll love this:

b7eW7.jpg

I will check this out, thanks!

Saw this last Wed (Orange Wednesdays FTW!) and before going to see it I was really hesitant about Karl Urban, but he drokking nialed it.

Also, holy shit at the random Berry & Fulcher's Snuff Box theme. That came out of no-where!

Can't believe nobody has asked this... does the movie feature I AM THE LAW by Anthrax? If not, total missed opportunity. Closing credits, c'mon.

Acheteedo

Film was flat out amazing. It hit all the right notes and felt like such a fresh take in the comic book film genre. The trailer really put me off but it totally misrepresented the film.

The trailer didn't do a great job of selling the movie to me either. I really didn't have the highest of hopes for this, what with the reports of the director being locked out of the editing suite but it came together really well. If it really did kick off behind the scenes there's no evidence of it in the final product.

Can't believe nobody has asked this... does the movie feature I AM THE LAW by Anthrax? If not, total missed opportunity. Closing credits, c'mon.
It's not but you won't miss it (or at least I didn't anyway). For what it's worth you can stream the soundtrack in its entirety here.

Just watched classic Dredd, God that movie was awful, cant believe this one is actually good. I wonder when its coming out in Canada.

jaxword

It's an excellent version of Dredd, although the budget prevents it from being totally accurate. They didn't have money to create tons of futuristic props, so they reused old, trashed real world vehicles and mixed them with fictional ones. It kinda works, as it creates a world with serious scarcity problems and in need of reusing old hardware just to keep going. Most of the weapons are also "old" (you can tell they have reused South African Vektor rifles with tactical rails and shit) but again, it's not something distracting.

Ayup. I can't even imagine how they could make a better Dredd without setting the budget on fire. It really is extremely close to the original material, wardrobe and props notwithstanding.

Is it worth paying the extra cash for the 3d, or are the effects the same in 2d?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Is it worth paying the extra cash for the 3d, or are the effects the same in 2d?

I saw it in 2D since I use specs and can't stand the reduced brightness of 3D, but I definitely feel like I missed a lot of great stuff that way. If I could, I'd watch it in 3D.

Just watched classic Dredd, God that movie was awful, cant believe this one is actually good. I wonder when its coming out in Canada.

Check the OP ;)

nib95

Banned
Loved this film. The Raid set in the future, minus the martial arts but with an extra dose of bad ass. Was straight to the point, entertaining and brutal.

jaxword

I saw it in 2D since I use specs and can't stand the reduced brightness of 3D, but I definitely feel like I missed a lot of great stuff that way. If I could, I'd watch it in 3D.

Fair enough, you sold me on the idea of paying for the 3d glasses.

Hope it's worth it, all I know about Dredd here in the US is from seeing the Stallone film when I was a little kid.

Jackpot

Banned
Saw it. Loved it. Much better than The Raid.

Really liked how they switched it up later with the
4 crooked judges
. Could have easily rested on their laurels and gone with straightforward kill more and tougher baddies until they reach the top floor but they didn't.

A little silly
having a dead-man switch that activates in response to a signal, rather than in response to the absence of a signal.

Really liked the uniform too. The golden emblems on the side weren't visible in the trailer due to all the dirt but they are on the other judges.

Metalmarc

2 days to go usagaf enjoy

Please the raid stole from the leaked dredd script! It was leaked way back in like 2010 ifrc Saddened that people compare dredd to the raid as oposed to the other way round

Mr. Sam

I'm not particularly concerned which way round it was - though that's the first time I've seen The Raid accused of being the one to lift the premise - and both did an admirable job with it. The Raid just did it better. As far as action goes, I've seen nothing that touches it this year. Brutal, kinetic, inventive; just plain spectacular.

Bleepey

Saw it. Loved it. Much better than The Raid.

Really liked how they switched it up later with the
4 crooked judges
. Could have easily rested on their laurels and gone with straightforward kill more and tougher baddies until they reach the top floor but they didn't.

A little silly
having a dead-man switch that activates in response to a signal, rather than in response to the absence of a signal.

Really liked the uniform too. The golden emblems on the side weren't visible in the trailer due to all the dirt but they are on the other judges.

Regarding the switch I agreed. The lack of foresight for that made the ending make no sense to me till a friend explained it to me. But I suppose if she wants to leave the floors or go outside of the block the film's way would have made more sense.

just watched it in 3d, begrudgingly. the film was fine, pretty much what i expected. i enjoyed the black humor & thought dredd was a surprisingly charismatic character. the slow-mo effects were used a tad too much, though considering the plot it was to be expected.
as an aside, olivia thirlby is gorgeous.

Hopefully will be able to watch this on Saturday. I'm pretty excited. There's an interview on io9 with Alex Garland about a potential sequel, but it doesn't seem to spoiler-ific. He also talks about Sunshine a bit.

Too bad it isn't poised to do well at the BO :(

Oh man :(

Maybe it'll be a surprised hit, but... I've only seen one commercial for it on TV in the last two weeks... and that was pretty late at night.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Let's hope it becomes a cult hit like Kick-Ass and gets a sequel down the line.

Decado

Oh man :(

Maybe it'll be a surprised hit, but... I've only seen one commercial for it on TV in the last two weeks... and that was pretty late at night.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Let's hope it becomes a cult hit like Kick-Ass and gets a sequel down the line.

It's not even getting a showing at the main theatre downtown where I live :(

Decado

Is it rolling out in limited release or something? It's definitely playing here (Vancouver and all of its suburbs)
Holy shit, I live in Vancouver, too! :p

It's only being shown at the Tinseltown theatre, not the main Scotiabank one.

It's getting a wide release, but the theatre count isn't very high (2,500).

Holy shit, I live in Vancouver, too! :p

It's only being shown at the Tinseltown theatre, not the main Scotiabank one.

It's getting a wide release, but the theatre count isn't very high (2,500).

I live in Surrey, and it'll be playing in both Strawberry Hill and Metrotown, so I'll be checking it out in one of those.

Suairyu

Banned
Saw it yesterday. While it didn't look like the comic and was much mote low-tech, it certainly felt like the comic.

Just a really good, raw action film.

It being low(ish) budget was a boon. While I hope sequels get made, I hope the funding doesn't jump too much. If money gets involved, it could really fuck things up.

Might try and go see this tonight or catch a matinee on Saturday.

I think a pleasant surprise is much more likely. That said, Dredd's lore can get pretty wacky and wonderful, so I would like to see a bigger, badder sequel.

Oh, and if you like Dredd, you'll love this:

b7eW7.jpg

I just watched the trailer for that last night and it looked awesome. Didn't realize it was the same director.

Rich!

For anyone doubting it, or on the fence:

DREDD is the best film I've seen all year - and I've seen a lot. It's engrossing, violent, action packed - and most of all, it's utterly shittingly brilliant.

Fox Mulder

CHEEZMO™;42389188 said:
Yeah, I'm hoping this makes good money. Not even for sequel prospects, it just deserves it.

I hope it does well, but I wonder how many screens it will be given for 3d. My nearest decent sized theater is giving all their 3d time to re-released Finding Nemo and the 80th fucking Resident Evil. I can see their show times for the next week and they never once show it in 3d. Fuck that theater.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The Tomatometer has dropped like an anvil with the influx of American/non sci-fi centric reviewers. Not surprising, though.

Top Bottom