• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaze into the fist |OT| DREDD 3D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Saw it, liked it. It was worth the 7 I spent. And yes, a movie that is actually Hard R, had me squirming for violence. Talking Robocop brutality, if not more.

Basically, everyone is an asshole and I loved it.

Urban was so spot on with his constant scowl and pretty amazing how with only one facial emotion showing, he still was able to show different emotional states of Dredd lol.

adelante

Was it just me that hoped that

they were going to show Ma Ma land from the angle it showed prior to impact?

Lol you weren't alone. I turned to my friends at the end of the movie, telling them I was hoping to see the same thing.
Her face obliterated, neck smash, rest of the torso come rippling down
Would've been an awesome scene

Kick ass movie with an awesome soundtrack. The whole setting had a District 9 vibe but I later learnt from the credits that they shot this in South Africa so that's probably why. The 200-story ghetto tower's basically a slum city anyway..

Riggs

Banned
There were quite a few elements that lose their lustre if not seen in 3D

The 3d was done well, not like Clash of the Titans pathetic 3d, so if good 3d is what you want, it is a must see. I would say 3d is the preferred version and that is from a person that wasnt really too keen on 3d movies.

Probably the best 3D movie I've seen. Really puts you in the scenes.

3D it is then Ty.

jdl

Banned
Watched it this morning. It's simple, and solid; knows what it is. Some unexpected moves in there. Would watch again.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Judge Anderson, I said gat damn!

That was a fun movie to watch. Didn't expect much from Karl Urban's Dredd but he knocked it out of the park.

Gvaz

Banned
Who cares if it's been done before. Are you looking for a fucking dissertation and thought provoking from Dredd? No, you don't watch it for that. You watch it to see Dredd FUCK SHIT UP in a futuristic dystopia.

OSHAN

Great movie. Fiance really enjoyed it as well.

Robocop is one of my favorite movies and I think it is brilliant stuff, and so I don't make the comparison lightly that Dredd reminded me of Robocop.

Dredd isn't as satirical as Robocop and I can't compare it to the comics because I haven't read them.

I can say the humor is jet black, the world is bleak and well realized, and the pacing is excellent. Mega City One looks like ****. If Old Detroit ever became New Detroit, I feel it would have just turned into Mega City One.

The Judges ideals aren't embraced and the movie doesn't ignore the fact it is essentially a fascist police state. Again, I'm not familiar with the comic, but Dredd isn't exactly a good guy. There's nothing that would imply that. He's the law, and that's that.

I also think this is the best screenplay Alex Garland has written, and I'm a fan of 28 Days Later (though I prefer 28 Weeks Later) and the first two thirds of Sunshine.

I didn't see it in 3D so I can't comment on that. Theater had about ten people in it total. Weak for an opening night for sure.

I hope action fans get out of the house to see this. It really had that late 80s, early 90s action vibe going on. Expendables embraces Rambo 3, Cobra, Commando, etc., while Dredd is more in line with Robocop, Predator, and Die Hard.

Those are some towering action films, and Dredd isn't as good as Robocop, Predator, or Die Hard -- few action films are -- but it is very well done. I was duly impressed.

DrBo42

Just saw it, mildly disappointed. The Judge leads (Urban and whoever the dyed blonde is) do a good job considering the material. The biggest problems are the lack of a villain to hate and completely uninteresting combat sequences. I feel like the director had solid ideas on an overall fight sequence for each firefight or confrontation but was ultimately clueless on how to shoot it in an interesting way. There are a few standout scenes mostly in the first hour but overall there's a lot left to be desired. As for the villain, the audience has no motivation to see her dead. We get a quick montage of her "brutality" but it's weak and just wasn't enough to make me hate her. The only thing driving the film is that we want to see Dredd and Anderson make it out alive but after a few minutes you never really feel like they're in any real danger. That would be fine if the action sequences delivered, but again they do not. 3D was only really worth it for one of the best action sequences in the film. Throughout the 3D version of the film it's unfortunately plagued with view discrepancy issues which personally are pretty distracting. Go see it if your a fan of the source material or looking for a theater experience this weekend. If not, watch The Raid instead. That's a much more satisfying film.

Overall 7/10
3D 6/10

Gvaz

Banned
No motivation to see her dead? She's willing to clear out a whole fucking floor just to get 2 judges. She kills people brutally who gets in her way or wrongs her, she's a piece of shit, and you say you have no motivation?

Just admit you weren't into the movie instead of saying the establishment wasn't there.

Also the combat was fucking awesome, what.

I've never seen the Raid and I have no idea what it's about.

No motivation to see her dead? She's willing to clear out a whole fucking floor just to get 2 judges. She kills people brutally who gets in her way or wrongs her, she's a piece of shit, and you say you have no motivation?

Just admit you weren't into the movie instead of saying the establishment wasn't there.

Go watch The Raid. It's awesome.

Mr. Sam

Quite. Many films share similar premises - it doesn't mean they can't be great in their own right.

But you should all watch The Raid anyway. Because it's awesome. (Edit: See? This guy gets it.)

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill

The Raid is like Dredd with kung-fu. It's awesome and you should see it.

DrBo42

Her decision clearing that floor wasn't emotionally stirring or disturbing at all..it's too impersonal. She's not evil enough, doesn't help that her backstory is more sad than anything. I definitely didn't dislike the film like you're implying, but it's pretty mediocre in the areas I listed.

Ma Ma was a peace of shit and when she did that i wanted her dead. Its funny how she looked like a complete skank/crack whore and she is so pretty on other movies/ tv shows

Zampano

CHEEZMO™;42428121 said:
The Raid is god-tier. Watch that shit.

Although I liked The Raid I felt that its script dropped the ball in the last 20 minutes.

For me it should have followed this classic action movie structure as it approached the end:

Main goon and hero have amazing one on one brawl where the hero has to dip into internal strength/experience/skills to succeed. It's a close, brutal fight, but our hero triumphs though inner spirit.

Weakened, the hero then faces off against the main villain, who is not physically threatening. Villain tries some treachery and is then hoisted by their own petard (or killed by a side character). Great action films that do this include: Die Hard, Ong Bak, Commando, Lethal Weapon, Robocop, Hard Boiled... the list goes on.

The Raid really could have done with this approach, specifically as:

The "Mad Dog" guy was an awesome fighter and also honourable so when he beats the hero AND his brother, only to be stabbed from behind it kind of sucked (despite awesome throat cutting gore). Also the main bad guy should have been killed in an awesome way - like he tries to shove the cop into the lift shaft, trips and ends up getting cut in half on the lift cable or something.

As it was, the film ended kind of weakly for me and Dredd edges it with a climax that suits the character and story perfectly. Everything up until the end of The Raid was great though and I'll be buying the Blu Ray on Monday.

So any nice erotic shots of Lena?

No, she's ugly as fuck in this, both looks and character wise. Judge Anderson is the hotness here.

dredd-image06.jpg
they still should have anyways lol

I saw this on the first day of release in the UK but I have to say that I always loved the matter-of-fact way that Dredd lays down the law (so to speak) to the entire block over the speaker system. It was a calm "you are criminals and I am the law" moment as opposed to the usual amped up kick ass scenes we get in most films.

Dicer

Banned
Just got back, omg fucking so gooood....

Best 3D I have ever seen, my only complaint is my eyes hurt lol, coming outside was like the end of an acid trip.

I love the D9 vibe, screw comparisons to the raid... it's got more of a D9 feel than anything.

lupinko

Saw this last night, all I can say is that this is now my favourite comic book movie, my favourite movie of the year, and this movie is the reason why 3D should exist. I want to see this movie again, and really this is why we need more real rated R movies again.

Also Olivia Thirlby is so hot.

Wait...
for her to shoot you.
LOL

Karl Urban was so badass as Dredd, there was a Sly version? lolwut?

DrBo42

I saw this on the first day of release in the UK but I have to say that I always loved the matter-of-fact way that Dredd lays down the law (so to speak) to the entire block over the speaker system. It was a calm "you are criminals and I am the law" moment as opposed to the usual amped up kick ass scenes we get in most films.

Those moments were the best part.

I really enjoyed this movie. I don't know much about Judge Dredd outside of there was the Stallone movie and they made a video game off of it. Karl Urban was great, Thirlby was great, Headey was great. Very enjoyable.

ezekial45

Banned
This movie was sublime. I was completely blown away, it was fucking rad. I made the right choice to see it in 3D, cause everything really popped. I was in awe during the slow-mo room breach. My jaw was on the floor, it was so beautiful.

I hope to god that this gets a sequel or a TV series, though I heard it's not doing so hot here in the states. It truly deserves one. Alex Garland really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Top Bottom