• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

prateeko

I bought a beat up AGS 101 from some guy off craigslist. I decided to swap out a lot of the old parts and customize it to my liking. Found an awesome ebayer that allowed me to pick the colors of everything in the cases he was selling. I also had a famicom edition gba from Japan which had a really nice red screen but since it wasn't an ags 101 and harvesting it for parts seemed wrong I bought a replacement famicom edition screen.

That said,
2014-11-21.jpg

2014-11-21.jpg

What a huge difference the AGS 101 makes compared to the AGS-001
IMG_20141121_212937850.jpg

God damn is that beautiful

Craft

A 3rd party seller appears to be selling off some of the harder to find GBA games quite cheap:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=0&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&orderID=202-5793998-2651550&seller=AGZ6LT2A6T2R0

I got the Castlevania double pack (unboxed) for £14.98 and they seem to have copies of Metroid zero mission going in and out of stock every so often for £12.98

Edit: I forgot to add that each listing has a image of the cart, and they look legit to me.

Zalman

Does anyone else find the AGS-101 screen to be... too bright at times? I wish I could lower the brightness just a little bit.

Yoshi's Island has a few issues on the GBA emulator on Wii U. The transition screens between parts of the levels sometimes look like a garbled mess. But if you're not nitpicky, it's a decent experience. Also, due to the native res of GBA, the games don't scale to 1080p 100% cleanly, but there is a 1:1 mode that makes everything look spectacular.

Even though I'm generally not enthusiastic about emulation, this honestly offers a far better GBA experience than GB Player, and is the best official way to play GBA games on any TV.

Does it look like some faint black and white squares spread across the screen or "checkering" for lack of a better term? Because if that's what you're referring to, I see that during the level transition screen on my YI Advance cart and it's especially noticeable when playing on the highest brightness level on my backlight modded AGB 001 (which with the tabao cable/Peagle's mod is a tiny bit higher than the 101 itself). So unless you're referring to something else, that actually seems to be an odd quirk (a bit of "loading" strain maybe of some kind since it's one of the beefier SNES ports?) native to the real game and unless you have a modded AGB like me or are playing the game on VC, most people probably don't notice it and it's something M2's ultra faithful emulation just happens to be picking up and making more apparent.

Peltz

Does it look like some faint black and white squares spread across the screen or "checkering" for lack of a better term? Because if that's what you're referring to, I see that during the level transition screen on my YI Advance cart and it's especially noticeable when playing on the highest brightness level on my backlight modded AGB 001 (which with the tabao cable/Peagle's mod is a tiny bit higher than the 101 itself). So unless you're referring to something else, that actually seems to be an odd quirk (a bit of "loading" strain maybe of some kind since it's one of the beefier SNES ports?) native to the real game and unless you have a modded AGB like me or are playing the game on VC, most people probably don't notice it and it's something M2's ultra faithful emulation just happens to be picking up and making more apparent.

I guess sort of yes. But this doesn't happen on my GBA SP or my GB Player. Plus, it's not black and white. It looks more like a glitched out NES game with tons of colors.

Maybe I can grab a photograph of it sometime.

In other news, I just ordered an AGS-101 off of ebay. I have one custom made from a few years back, but I think the modder used extremely cheap 3rd party parts due to all the ghosting I see. It makes games completely unplayable.

I was able to find a legit pearl blue one in good shape which will hopefully have the nice screen I've heard so much about. Plus, I'm now one GBA closer to having a nice 4-swords setup.

Peagles

I'd be interested to see footage of this. Since Nintendo emulation is usually (cycle) perfect, it'd be an interesting anomaly.

Fireblend

Banned
Here's a picture of the SP I was mentioned yesterday with the "bright" edges:
I checked for signs that it could be a bootleg, but if it is, I'm guessing it has a genuine shell because other than the discoloration there's nothing making it seem anything but original.

Peltz

Here's a picture of the SP I was mentioned yesterday with the "bright" edges:

I checked for signs that it could be a bootleg, but if it is, I'm guessing it has a genuine shell because other than the discoloration there's nothing making it seem anything but original.

Can we see the buttons and rest of the GBA? It will help in being able to discern its legitimacy.

Fireblend

Banned
Can we see the buttons and rest of the GBA? It will help in being able to discern its legitimacy.

Sure... once I get home :p

Anyway, I tested both GBA and GBC games and they worked and saved fine. Also turned it on without anything inside the slot and it behaved as it's supposed to. I'm guessing maybe the screen was tinkered with or replaced at some point and that explains the odd discoloration. I'll post more pics later anyway.

Galdius

December was an amazing month for my Game Boy collection. I got not one but two original Game Boy consoles. This is the first time that I ever have this model. When I was a kid my first GB was the Color. I'm really happy to get those two and those special editions are amazing. I hope 2015 will be as good as this year if not better.

9VAebWxl.jpg
G9nfsGAl.jpg

Peltz

December was an amazing month for my Game Boy collection. I got not one but two original Game Boy consoles. This is the first time that I ever have this model. When I was a kid my first GB was the Color. I'm really happy to get those two and those special editions are amazing. I hope 2015 will be as good as this year if not better.

9VAebWxl.jpg
G9nfsGAl.jpg

Dayum... nice pickups.

Fireblend

Banned
Damn Galdius, those look really nice. I'd love to pick up awesome CiB stuff like that, but other than the expense I worry I wouldn't be able to properly take care of that, and I've never been one to keep stuff in boxes.

I'm hoping I'll be able to take an updated photo of my collection early next year when I finally receive all of my latest purchases :p

I guess sort of yes. But this doesn't happen on my GBA SP or my GB Player. Plus, it's not black and white. It looks more like a glitched out NES game with tons of colors.

Maybe I can grab a photograph of it sometime.

Weird, yeah that definitely doesn't sound like what I'm talking about. Yeah, a pic would be nice if you have time.

bengraven

After months of scouring the local thrift stores, I finally got a lime-green Gameboy Color! The same system I dreamed about in 1998. My wife rolled her eyes when I Voxed her my excitement, but when she saw it, she got giddy, too. "I had a turquoise one" she said and asked if I can find the Little Mermaid game for her, lol.

Picked up Dr. Mario (GB), Mario Golf (GBC - dat Camelot!), and a Spongebob and Lego game for the kid at the local "R U Game?" store.

Damn, the games I want are expensive though. I'll pay the $10 for Mario Land 2 eventually and $20 for Mario DX (!) but the prices of Pokemon games are at LEAST $25, usually more on Amazon and eBay.

Any solutions? Other than searching pawn and thrift shops?

d+pad

I've actually had this sucker for a while now, but only recently got around to taking photos of and blogging about it.

Japanese GameBoy + box by bochalla, on Flickr

The best thing about it: the screen's basically in perfect shape! Actually, the whole thing is in great shape.

Man, I love the original GameBoy :)

After months of scouring the local thrift stores, I finally got a lime-green Gameboy Color! The same system I dreamed about in 1998. My wife rolled her eyes when I Voxed her my excitement, but when she saw it, she got giddy, too. "I had a turquoise one" she said and asked if I can find the Little Mermaid game for her, lol.

Picked up Dr. Mario (GB), Mario Golf (GBC - dat Camelot!), and a Spongebob and Lego game for the kid at the local "R U Game?" store.

Damn, the games I want are expensive though. I'll pay the $10 for Mario Land 2 eventually and $20 for Mario DX (!) but the prices of Pokemon games are at LEAST $25, usually more on Amazon and eBay.

Japanese games are usually way cheaper. Pokemon might be kind hard for you in nihongo but Mario or Tetris are easy.

Galdius

Dayum... nice pickups.

Damn Galdius, those look really nice. I'd love to pick up awesome CiB stuff like that, but other than the expense I worry I wouldn't be able to properly take care of that, and I've never been one to keep stuff in boxes.

I'm hoping I'll be able to take an updated photo of my collection early next year when I finally receive all of my latest purchases :p

Thank you guys!
I got those consoles for a good price and I want to put them behind some glass cabinets in the future.

Have you thought about looking on gaming forums and even on facebook groups?
They are usually cheaper than Amazon and ebay.
And congrats on the purchase and have fun with it.

bengraven

Have you thought about looking on gaming forums and even on facebook groups?
They are usually cheaper than Amazon and ebay.
And congrats on the purchase and have fun with it.

I'm going to do that - occasionally a Facebook "swap" group will have some older games listed - also Craigslist.

I'm going to keep watching ebay and Amazon. I really want Mario Land 1 and 2, Metroid 2, the two Oracles (I already have Link DX somewhere packed away - looking for it today) and the five GB/C Pokemon games. I didn't even mention the Oracle games. Man, some people on eBay are charging $50 each.

And I'm having a blast - not just the nostalgia, but Mario Golf is legit fun. :)

Galdius

I'm going to do that - occasionally a Facebook "swap" group will have some older games listed - also Craigslist.

I'm going to keep watching ebay and Amazon. I really want Mario Land 1 and 2, Metroid 2, the two Oracles (I already have Link DX somewhere packed away - looking for it today) and the five GB/C Pokemon games. I didn't even mention the Oracle games. Man, some people on eBay are charging $50 each.

And I'm having a blast - not just the nostalgia, but Mario Golf is legit fun. :)

I only buy CIB GB games so I would recommend you to take your time, sometimes you can find games for a great price even on ebay. If you are really going the loose route, the journey gets a lot more accessible.

I paid a lot for my CIB Metroid II. Mario Land 1 and 2 are a bit cheaper. Zeldas are always more expensive because they are Zelda games and the same applies to Pokemon games. In the end, GB games aren't that expensive except for a few.

bengraven

I only buy CIB GB games so I would recommend you to take your time, sometimes you can find games for a great price even on ebay. If you are really going the loose route, the journey gets a lot more accessible.

I paid a lot for my CIB Metroid II. Mario Land 1 and 2 are a bit cheaper. Zeldas are always more expensive because they are Zelda games and the same applies to Pokemon games. In the end, GB games aren't that expensive except for a few.

Yeah, I've accepted loose carts. Someday I'll have better shelving for a proper gaming collection and will get CIB games. For now I'm just looking at cartridges.

Looking up on replacing batteries and it doesn't look too bad at all.

Galdius

Yeah, I've accepted loose carts. Someday I'll have better shelving for a proper gaming collection and will get CIB games. For now I'm just looking at cartridges.

Looking up on replacing batteries and it doesn't look too bad at all.

My problem with loose carts is how to storage/display them.
I love to collect videogames and I also love to display them.
I know that loose carts are way cheaper but I prefer to spend more and have something that I will really like.
There are some really nice GB games, don't look only for GBC games, the original Game Boy also have some really good games.

So I finally got a camera (smartphone) so I figured I'd put up some images of my --admittedly small -- collection!

New Arrivals:

Older Cartridge-Only Games & Systems:
Nice little collection. I've been meaning to pick up the Donkey Kong Land games, only played the first one as a kid.

avens

Neo Member
Does anyone know which is the very best headphone adapter for the SP?

A link on ebay or similar would be quite nice as well.

Craft

I've been meaning to show off my collection for a while, finally had some free time to take some pictures.
I mainly collect GBA games, but I've got a couple of Gameboy and Gameboy color games.

These are my sealed games, I got a set of those tales games from the local auction:
IMG_20150102_175456.jpg

My good condition boxed games:
IMG_20150102_175435.jpg

My not so good condition boxed games:
IMG_20150102_175416.jpg

I found these games in the bin:
IMG_20150102_175323.jpg

All the games I actually play:
IMG_20150102_175215.jpg

Here's some more:
IMG_20150102_174952.jpg

These are just some games I got with bundles of other better games, are any worth playing?
IMG_20150102_175119.jpg

I have about 10 copies of this game boxed:
IMG_20150102_175345.jpg

Some E-reader stuff, not sure if I want to actually open them...
IMG_20150102_174837.jpg

My one fake game:
IMG_20150102_174912.jpg

My GBA collection, the micro faceplate is pretty beat up, but I use it all the time and take it everywhere. I'll get a nice boxed one at some point:
IMG_20150102_175302.jpg

My Gameboys, they all need a good clean.
IMG_20150102_174748.jpg

My Gameboy collection, I did have a few more games but I gave them away:
IMG_20150102_174617.jpg

Some more Gameboy games:
IMG_20150102_174432.jpg

My Gameboy color 'collection':
IMG_20150102_174317.jpg

Some manuals:
IMG_20150102_174345.jpg

Got this awesome carry case from the local charity shop the other day:
IMG_20150102_174659.jpg

IMG_20150102_174723.jpg

Mercutio

Hey all,

I've come into an AGS 101. The shell isn't in awful shape, but has the usual marks of wear... I think it was in my sister's purse for a year or two. Nothing's really wrong with it, and the screen is perfect; no stuck pixels or dust etc. I can't believe how good the display is on this thing; it's the only portable screen I've seen that has actually aged well.

Anyway.

I don't really like the color of this thing (it's a silvery green) and I'd love to make it new again. Screen lens needs nothing, so I'd leave that. I ordered an orange shell from eBay, but I'm having second thoughts now; both about collectability of my unit and general feel. How do people feel about the plastic and quality of the reshelled SPs? Should I do it, or just keep it as is?
IMAG0375_zpsrgeclea_edit_1420385438102_zpsh6jtoh41.jpg

IMAG0376_zpskvxiz4a_edit_1420385482721_zpstbnedat6.jpg

Weegee

So for the past 3 - 6 months I've gotten into collecting NES and Super Nes games. Now the gameboy bug has caught me and I've decided to track down the GB/GBC/GBA games that I missed out on and the ones that I've lost. I bought the original Gameboy a couple of months ago and Wario Land 4 and Wario Ware twisted this week. The rest of the games and the Gameboy Advance are what I owned growing up. I use to have a green Gameboy color, but I have no idea where it is.

I also just bought a GBA SP AGS 101 off ebay and I am waiting for it to arrive. I can't wait for it to get here because I just tried out wario land 4 on my gba and I can barely see the damn screen. It's been so many years since I've played a handheld that isn't back lit. I want to add the castlevania aria of sorrow and dissonance, advance wars 2, metriod zero mission, and the final fantasy games to my collection. Any other games I should track down?

redhairedking

I'm looking into trying to collect all of the Bit Generations games (ideally with boxes but I can settle for just carts) and was curious about what fair prices were?

Jayne

Hey all, would any of you who've gotten a Micro faceplate from RCG care to post a few pics? I recently ordered one myself when new stock was put up and I'm curious to see how they look on your micros and hear some your impressions.

Fireblend

Banned
Hey all, would any of you who've gotten a Micro faceplate from RCG care to post a few pics? I recently ordered one myself when new stock was put up and I'm curious to see how they look on your micros and hear some your impressions.

I got one some months ago, from their first batch. It's held up well, the matte finish looks pretty good (not a fan of glossy stuff), but the build quality of the screen itself initially disappointed me. I had a badly scratched faceplate originally so it was a huge improvement, but for the price I expected a pristine screen and that's not what I got. It has an annoying dust particle that's "inside" the glass and I can't remove, as well as some very light scratches. Still, it's probably worth it if you're replacing a significantly scratched faceplate.

Be sure to post some impressions once you get yours! I've been tempted to order another one to see if maybe I just got unlucky. I love my Micro, keeping it in top shape is a priority.

Here's a pic: 2 closeups here.

BkaDsxf.jpg

Jayne

People have posted their RCG plates previously in this thread. Use the thread tools and search for "faceplate" for more.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126526778&postcount=5719

I got one some months ago, from their first batch. It's held up well, the matte finish looks pretty good (not a fan of glossy stuff), but the build quality of the screen itself initially disappointed me. I had a badly scratched faceplate originally so it was a huge improvement, but for the price I expected a pristine screen and that's not what I got. It has an annoying dust particle that's "inside" the glass and I can't remove, as well as some very light scratches. Still, it's probably worth it if you're replacing a significantly scratched faceplate.

Be sure to post some impressions once you get yours! I've been tempted to order another one to see if maybe I just got unlucky. I love my Micro, keeping it in top shape is a priority.

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to post some pictures and impressions myself as soon as it arrives, I ordered it new years day and I don't believe it's shipped yet. I got the Zelda one as well for my black Micro, and yours looks pretty nice, Fireblend, so I have high hopes. I'll be putting it onto a Micro that currently doesn't have a faceplate so, hopefully, it'll be better than nothing!

Peagles

If they're anything like the $5 ones from China (they look identical) the build quality is just OK. I got a set of 10 for ~$40 but wouldn't pay through the nose for them. Mine didn't come with any scratches but they are quite different to the originals.

Jayne

If they're anything like the $5 ones from China (they look identical) the build quality is just OK. I got a set of 10 for ~$40 but wouldn't pay through the nose for them. Mine didn't come with any scratches but they are quite different to the originals.

Yeah, I was just looking at those from the link you posted a while back in the thread. They look pretty much identical to the three RCG has in stock, seems like RCG might even just be reselling those. Looks like a set of 10 is going for $67 at the moment, with the cheapest shipping, which isn't a whole lot for 10 faceplates, considering I spent $21 for the one I ordered through RCG. xD

0e9fd7743b.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, I was just looking at those from the link you posted a while back in the thread. They look pretty much identical to the three RCG has in stock, seems like RCG might even just be reselling those. Looks like a set of 10 is going for $67 at the moment, with the cheapest shipping, which isn't a whole lot for 10 faceplates, considering I spent $21 for the one I ordered through RCG. xD

This should explain:

DtOGMqV.png

redhairedking

Rich!

Link to where it's sold?

hahaha oh fuck

http://www.yeahgeek.com/supercard-mini-sd-for-gba-sp-gbm-ids-nds-nds-lite-p-805.html

sorry. Also:

1. Support Real Time Save function (savestates). You can stop and restart games during playing games anytime and anywhere with this fantastic function. This is an exclusive function of SuperCard series. With this fantastic function, you need not worry about GAME OVER anymore.
2. Support compressed game files and large memory room. Since we use MINISD card as medium, so that how much room you can make use of for games and how many games can be put in it is absolutely by MINISD card.
3. Freely switch walkthrough/e-books in game and switch back. This is another exclusive and powerful function of SuperCard series. When you play game, just press L+R+B+START, and it is switched to text screen. When you want to continue your game, just press the same case to switch back.
4. Need no convert and driver during transferring, just plug and play. A MINISD card and a card reader consist of a U-disc, so the speed is the same as U-disc.

so no more transferring using a shitty app. yeah, buy this.

Jayne

This should explain:

DtOGMqV.png

Ah, I see.

It's a shame one can't get a GBA back-light kit through RCG anymore, I should have bought one back when I had the chance. Only kits I can find now are pretty pricey on ebay, so that just leaves gutting an ags 101 SP and buying the adapter cable separate. It's cool that they're still selling the glass replacement lens though. Once I have everything I need I plan to get to work on back-lighting my old GBA, I think it's about time...

Top Bottom