• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

You can play in native res by holding start and select when you booth the game from the 3DS menu. Everything is small, but lots of folks prefer it to the blurriness.

I'm still annoyed that Sony/Nintendo don't invest in giving their emulators more filter/scaling options. I find it very difficult to believe the 3DS can't run some better option.

I'm still annoyed that Sony/Nintendo don't invest in giving their emulators more filter/scaling options. I find it very difficult to believe the 3DS can't run some better option.

It can, lol. Game Gear emulation is a lot nicer on 3DS VC. Of course, M2 handled those.

On the Sony side, M2 did the Neo Geo Station series on PSP/PS3 and those are pretty damn great (but a little pricey and no-cross buy like one would hope).

It can, lol. Game Gear emulation is a lot nicer on 3DS VC. Of course, M2 handled those.

On the Sony side, M2 did the Neo Geo Station series on PSP/PS3 and those are pretty damn great (but a little pricey and no-cross buy like one would hope).

Seems to me that Nintendo and Sony specifically don't feel their eshop/classics sections are worth improving on a software level. Seems odd to me, but I'm also big on older games, so perhaps my perspective is skewed.

Jayne

So I got my Micro face-plate today, and for the most part, I like it quite a lot. It is definitely of higher quality than I thought it would be, the plastic is sturdy and thick, and the face-plates matte finish looks very nice. My only qualm with the thing is the tiniest of dust particles seemingly trapped in the screens plastic, but it is pretty minute and is only visible on a bright white screen. Other than that it is fantastic, and is a welcomed improvement over not having a face-plate at all! Here are some pics:

887a8d2028.jpg

db3e5d70e5.jpg

and here's one of the dust particle. Though it might be a bit hard to see, it's visible just above the 'G' in 'Gameboy'.

6c5655ada8.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
So I got my Micro face-plate today, and for the most part, I like it quite a lot. It is definitely of higher quality than I thought it would be, the plastic is sturdy and thick, and the face-plates matte finish looks very nice. My only qualm with the thing is the tiniest of dust particles seemingly trapped in the screens plastic, but it is pretty minute and is only visible on a bright white screen. Other than that it is fantastic, and is a welcomed improvement over not having a face-plate at all! Here are some pics:

http://puu.sh/eiQDH/887a8d2028.jpg[/IM
[IMG]http://puu.sh/eiQO1/db3e5d70e5.jpg[/IM

and here's one of the dust particle. Though it might be a bit hard to see, it's visible just above the 'G' in 'Gameboy'.

[IMG]http://puu.sh/eiRI1/6c5655ada8.jpg[/IM[/QUOTE]
So pretty much the same as my experience, though I think you got a better screen. Looks really good! Enjoy your renewed Micro :D it looks great! definitely my favorite console these past few months, no contest.

Jayne

So pretty much the same as my experience, though I think you got a better screen. Looks really good! Enjoy your renewed Micro :D it looks great! definitely my favorite console these past few months, no contest.

Thanks, I will enjoy the hell out of it! I have to agree with you on favoring the Micro. I have been playing my Micro every night before bed for a while now, there's so much good stuff to play on it that I just keep coming back to it. Currently playing Metroid and Metroid: Zero Mission, but I'm itching to play Fusion. I really gotta get my hands on a gba copy of it. xD

D.Lo

I love the Micro, it's beautiful tech, but I don't like playing games on it. The controls and screen are just too small.

So I have one to look at (beautiful all red), and and AGS101 to play on.

Fireblend

Banned
Thanks, I will enjoy the hell out of it! I have to agree with you on favoring the Micro. I have been playing my Micro every night before bed for a while now, there's so much good stuff to play on it that I just keep coming back to it. Currently playing Metroid and Metroid: Zero Mission, but I'm itching to play Fusion. I really gotta get my hands on a gba copy of it. xD
You absolutely should. Fusion is in my top 5 GBA games for sure.

entremet

I just found out GBA SPs don't have native headphone support.

What in the world, Nintendo?

I guess I'm super late to the party as I used my DS to play GBA games.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just found out GBA SPs don't have native headphone support.

What in the world, Nintendo?

I guess I'm super late to the party as I used my DS to play GBA games.
Yup. You've got to get a headphone adapter that plugs into the power outlet (I have one with a power cord passthrough so you can still charge and play with headphones)

It was a wtf moment when the SP was new, but I think it'd be considered even more criminal in this day and age.

entremet

Yup. You've got to get an adapter that plugs into the power outlet (I have one with a power cord passthrough so you can still charge and play with headphones)

It was a wtf moment when the SP was new, but I think it'd be considered even more criminal in this day and age.

Especially given the legacy of the Gameboy. I had the original brick and the packed ear buds were awesome at the time.

Weegee

My GBA SP 101 finally came in! It's a huge difference playing games on the backlit gba sp compared to the original gba. I could barely see the games on my original gba. I also found Metriod Zero Mission and the players guide at local used gameshop. They both cost me 34 dollars together.

Rich!

Just a quick image of a Game Boy game running on the DSi XL. It's amazing.

BBmV9li.jpg

And yeah, the colours are slightly off - that's because of the white balance set on my phone's camera.

Mercutio

So I think I've got a fake FF6 GBA Cart.

It was a tight fit in my GBA, and didn't want to eject properly from my Gamecube player. The plastic doesn't match mother carts perfectly, and seems slightly cheaper.

I popped it open, and noticed the following things:

The tri-wing screw is actually pointed on one end.

The contacts are silver.

The main ROM is on a daughter-board, and does not look machine soldered.

The NINTENDO on the board is not crisp and clear, as on other boards. Looks poorly silk-screened.

What say ye, guys? Should I open an eBay case on this one?

IMAG0395_zpsraqe6wio.jpg

Here's my legit FFT on the left, and the questionable FF6 on the right.

IMAG0398_zpsy9ssgva8.jpg

The contacts are perfectly silver on the FF6, they aren't in the picture.

prateeko

So I think I've got a fake FF6 GBA Cart.

It was a tight fit in my GBA, and didn't want to eject properly from my Gamecube player. The plastic doesn't match mother carts perfectly, and seems slightly cheaper.

I popped it open, and noticed the following things:

The tri-wing screw is actually pointed on one end.

The contacts are silver.

The main ROM is on a daughter-board, and does not look machine soldered.

The NINTENDO on the board is not crisp and clear, as on other boards. Looks poorly silk-screened.

What say ye, guys? Should I open an eBay case on this one?

IMAG0395_zpsraqe6wio.jpg

Here's my legit FFT on the left, and the questionable FF6 on the right.

IMAG0398_zpsy9ssgva8.jpg

The contacts are perfectly silver on the FF6, they aren't in the picture.

Here is the guide I threw together a while back: http://imgur.com/a/DTdzc

You can tell by the varied spots of the holes (including some in the contacts), which should all uniformly be above the contacts.

bengraven

So my finding a GBC a few weeks ago at a thrift store started my wanting to collect.

Well I just found my NES Edition GBASP this weekend. :D With Super Mario Advance 2 in the system, which I swore I sold. Runs great and after FOUR YEARS since I BARELY charged it (my old power charger wasn't working properly), it was STILL working with a green power light. I've been playing for four hours before it finally started red.

And it looks so great. :) Picked up FFTA (never finished it and wanted a meaty game for portable since the Pokemon games are expensive and I got a good price) and Superstar Saga, which I've never played but am looking forward to.

Sadly, I also found my Link's Awakening DX in the same box. And somehow the connectors look a bit iffy. So I loaded it up and the battery still is working, but 4 out of 5 power ons leave me with a scrambled screen (either the "Nintendo" at the bottom of the screen or the Gameboy logo is frozen). I think she's dead - after delicately cleaning it (and not so much, aka blowing on it), she's gone Jim. :(

But I was happy enough to have the GBA, so I'm going to look into maybe getting one of those flash carts to get Link DX.

So my finding a GBC a few weeks ago at a thrift store started my wanting to collect.

Well I just found my NES Edition GBASP this weekend. :D With Super Mario Advance 2 in the system, which I swore I sold. Runs great and after FOUR YEARS since I BARELY charged it (my old power charger wasn't working properly), it was STILL working with a green power light. I've been playing for four hours before it finally started red.

And it looks so great. :) Picked up FFTA (never finished it and wanted a meaty game for portable since the Pokemon games are expensive and I got a good price) and Superstar Saga, which I've never played but am looking forward to.

Sadly, I also found my Link's Awakening DX in the same box. And somehow the connectors look a bit iffy. So I loaded it up and the battery still is working, but 4 out of 5 power ons leave me with a scrambled screen (either the "Nintendo" at the bottom of the screen or the Gameboy logo is frozen). I think she's dead - after delicately cleaning it (and not so much, aka blowing on it), she's gone Jim. :(

But I was happy enough to have the GBA, so I'm going to look into maybe getting one of those flash carts to get Link DX.

You could buy a game bit driver or use the melted pen method to unscrew the cart and rub an eraser on the contacts to clean it and get you better success with working properly the first time.

daydream

Banned
I got a copy of Lego Racers for GBC (loved the console version as a kid, still do) and it's.. ok. There are better racers on the system. Gotta love the demake, though.

bengraven

You could buy a game bit driver or use the melted pen method to unscrew the cart and rub an eraser on the contacts to clean it and get you better success with working properly the first time.

It almost looks rusted, but since I can't look very close I'll try this. If I could save it, that would be awesome. I still have my 14 year old game save just before the Windfish on there - still named after my 90s internet username. :)

Fireblend

Banned

Superstar Saga is one awesome, awesome game. Enjoy!

OmegaX

Finally, my triwing screwdriver arrived from China so I could open my fake Mario Kart Super Circuit cartridge. In the end, the seller did send me a replacement so I can compare the 2 of them now. Legit on the left, fake on the right:
The fake one wouldn't open easily and a little plastic part broke when I forced it open. The legit one opened easily just by sliding it downwards.

FSLink

Banned
What's the easiest way to install Swiss onto a Gamecube nowadays?

Found my Gameboy Player at my parents' place so I'd love to force 240p.

I also recently picked up a Mother 3 Deluxe Box...pictures soon. ;D

What's the easiest way to install Swiss onto a Gamecube nowadays?

Found my Gameboy Player at my parents' place so I'd love to force 240p.

I also recently picked up a Mother 3 Deluxe Box...pictures soon. ;D
You'll need Datel's SD media launcher to run swiss and force 240p

As for dat M3 Deluxe... I'm jelly.

Coming to think of it, I know a GAF member with two of them, lol. I don't think they've posted here in a while though.

Dat retirement fund.

terrisus

Some new stuff came in the mail today :D

Everything from members terrisus and mrklaw. Thanks!

Nice! My stuff from terrisus by way of the BST thread also arrived:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e100/please_understand/GBAKirbys_zps7a27850f.jpg

Been hoping to get these two for ages. Tried them on my Peagles' backlit OG GBA. They look awesome!

Yay for making people happy!

I'm glad that stuff is going to places where they will be appreciated and enjoyed. =)

so guy came into gamestop with a bag full of gba games and a system trying to sell them.

a 001 and a bunch of crappy licensed games. and nes metroid. i bought metroid for $5. worth it?

Top Bottom