• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox CEO Teases Borderlands 4 After Complaining on Twitter

Draugoth

Gold Member
Gearbox Software Chief Executive Officer Randy Pitchford is heavily teasing that his studio is hard at work on Borderlands 4. This little teaser was part of the industry veteran's reflection on the recently debuted Borderlands movie and its lackluster reception.

Some four months later, Lionsgate's Borderlands movie hit the silver screens, debuting to an abysmal critical reception. Reflecting on this turn of events, Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford has recently taken to Twitter to say that he was "super flattered" to learn that the series' fandom apparently likes the games even better than "what some of the biggest and best cast and crew of film makers [sic] on the planet have done." The executive concluded this optimistic train of thought by promising that Gearbox is "working extra hard four you on what's next," with the misspelled preposition "for" being a clear reference to the fourth entry in the long-running franchise.

NEmNTQB.png

Source

ManaByte

“Now here is the company that should get most of the blame: Gearbox Software and Randy Pitchford. Gearbox stole from SEGA, they robbed us, lied to us about the game, and tried to get another company to make the game instead. Let’s see where the funding went shall we? Everyone said the game went to both Borderlands games, but Duke Nukem Forever gets a mention as well, but it’s pushed out of the spotlight, because people want to forget about that game, and I don’t blame them! Duke Nukem Forever had a big impact on Aliens: Colonial Marines as well.”

“It clearly shows that Pitchford and Gearbox wanted to focus heavily on Duke Nukem Forever, but how would they get the money to hire some of the 3D Realms team and even buy the intellectual property? Sure, they made a lot from Borderlands, but guess where they got the money to fund Borderlands in the first place? Yup, SEGA.

“So Gearbox essentially lied to SEGA, mishandled funds, broke agreements and contractual obligations to work on other projects, didn’t want to work on a game they were contractually obligated to work on and gave it to another team, poor organization and direction on ACM, took on too many projects from different companies at once, and other things that we may not even know about. Hell, part of me believes that Gearbox wanted this thing delayed as much as possible so they can get more funding money to embezzle from SEGA.”

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Relax Pitchford and take a deep breath.

He seems like the kind of guy in every big board meeting always putting up his hand saying stuff for the sake of just saying stuff hoping to be heard.

You can tell the guy is confused and reacting so fast he cant even keep up. How do you misunderstand someone giving you good comments?

Power Pro

I wish they could get his ass out of there somehow. The Borderlands games are great (at least I think so), so there's obviously talent at the studio, but Pitchford is such a clown, and always seems to just hurt their image.

lol Pitchford

After how trash Borderlands 3 was, I do not give a shit about 4
Large budget co-op loot shooters aren't easy to come by. Because of that, Borderlands 4 still has my interest, but I'll only purchase it if reviewers who hated the storytelling of 3 say it's much better now.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
lol Pitchford

After how trash Borderlands 3 was, I do not give a shit about 4
Large budget co-op loot shooters aren't easy to come by. Because of that, Borderlands 4 still has my interest, but I'll only purchase it if reviewers who hated the storytelling of 3 say it's much better now.
Influencer inspired villains aside, Borderlands 3 was a very polished game.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I don't give a damn about the movie, will never see it, but I did very much love all Borderlands games up through 2. I hated 3 with a passion, the gun play and everything felt so off. I really hope 4 scraps whatever they did to 3 to make it feel wrong and goes back to what 2 did so right.

Codes 208

Influencer inspired villains aside, Borderlands 3 was a very polished game.
Yup, I dont get the hate, the villains were a step down from handsome jack (but you cant top perfection, so…) but it played and felt like a borderlands game. Something i have a hard time saying about TTWL and the pre-sequel

havoc00

He slapped and fucked up the claptrap voice actor and made him cry like a bitch he would do the same to you, and has tons of lawyers to make sure he wont face jail for it

randy-pitchford-badass.png

From what I’m reading here and elsewhere it sounds like if one aspect of a Borderlands game is ruined, then the entire game is ruined, because the other aspects of a Borderlands game aren’t good enough on their own to carry it.

That sounds like a shaky foundation.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Pretend that you had no influence what so ever. Add a joke in Borderlands 4 about how awful the movie is then forget the movie existed.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Ah Randy the snake oil salesman. I loved Borderlands 2 and I dont think anyone can disagree that Handsome Jack is one of the best villains ever made. Borderlands 3 threw everything awesome in regards to humor/characters in the trash however the gameplay/atmosphere/level design/soundtrack and weapons were the best in the series.

All they need is an amazing villain and more or less the same stuff from previous games and it's a done deal.

Last edited:

DeVeAn

This dude is a whiny scumbag. That Aliens fiasco with passing it off to another dev and using the SEGA funds for another project. Scum.

Stafford

I'm not super hyped for 4 after 3. I mean the gameplay was fine but they missed the mark big time with the characters and humor. I hated the twins, and I realise they won't ever have a villain on the level of Handsome Jack again, but come on. And I didn't find it funny at all really.

Ah Randy, remember when you flushed the Borderlands franchise down the toilet by embracing all things woke? Borderlands 3 is a game remembered for there being more gay characters than actual guns. That’s saying a lot considering the game features over a billion of them! Remember Hammerlock… gay, Tiny Tina… gay, Tannis… you guessed it, gay. Let’s not forget the girl bosses, bossing so hard there’s no room left for any actual men… at all... anywhere. The men were likely so traumatised by the recently transitioned Psychos and Raiders they straight up and left. The game tricks you into believing you’re the actual main character… that is until you realise you’ve been ma’amed again. Lilith is in-fact the main character. She is the one to save the day at the end of the game. Even the midgets aren’t spared the wokening… Tinks replace Midgets as the latter is considered insensitive in a game you kill literally tens of thousands of enemies. Burning them, melting them with acid or electrocuting them until their heads explode. Graphic violence is of course is obviously preferable to potentially offending someone. It’s fine, at least we got to kill some of the worst written and insufferable characters ever to grace a video game. I’m talking of course about the Calypso twins. Antagonists so hated I fire up the game occasionally just to kill them all over again. Thanks for that I guess. Randy needs to stop talking like he has made a decent game in the last decade.

gamer82

They’re still making games , after the whole alien fiasco i wouldn’t give them any money there’s plenty of other games out there and not enough hours in the day .I have never been into borderlands so i can’t coment on it being a steaming pile but this man will say anything to safe face . I do however enjoy a bit of jamie lee curtis so maybe i will have a look when it appears on streaming .

Add a joke in Borderlands 4 about how awful the movie is then forget the movie existed.
He has way too much of an ego to admit that. Far more likely you'll get a line about how the movie is actually a masterpiece and the critics are just morons who don't understand his brilliance.

Top Bottom