• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
vitaminwateryum said:
The first is from Gears 3, the other from Gears 2, and the one at 75 is from Gears 1.

Right, I know. But didn't the guy from Gears 2 and Gears 1 wear the exact same suit? I'm asking if there's any difference to how they look.

The Xtortionist said:
Different helmets, slightly different armor.

Cool. Is there any hi-res art out there so I can see the difference?

And why do you figure the guy from Gears of War takes so much EXP to unlock. Is he considered the 'favorite' Carmine? The best-looking armor? What?

Finally beat the campaign. 1>3>>>2. Only detractors were that it had too much padding and not enough Baird and Cole. Act 4 was completely useless besides the
introduction of Griffin.
Jace was nothing more than a token, and I was so happy when
Marcus sidelined him when Cole and Baird got to Azura.

The Antitype said:

And why do you figure the guy from Gears of War takes so much EXP to unlock. Is he considered the 'favorite' Carmine? The best-looking armor? What?
I like his Helmet and armor the most out of any of them.

I can't wait until I unlock it.
Ant, Ben, Clay, Gog Gear and Onyx Guard for team Power Rangers

The Antitype said:

Anthony Carmine from Gears 1 was basically a joke character. Very early on, he jams his gun and gets headshotted by an enemy sniper while asking another squadmate to take a look. He was endearing in a humorous way.

and pics

Anthony Carmine

Anthony_Carmine.jpg

Benjamin Carmine

Bencarmineingamecutscene.jpg

The Xtortionist said:
Anthony Carmine from Gears 1 was basically a joke character. Very early on, he jams his gun and gets headshotted by an enemy sniper while asking another squadmate to take a look. He was endearing in a humorous way.

and pics

Anthony Carmine

Anthony_Carmine.jpg

Benjamin Carmine

Bencarmineingamecutscene.jpg

Oh, I know. I've played every Gears of War game. I like how his brother in 2 makes a comment to Dom that he should wear a helmet, and Dom replies that helmets cut down on vision and make it harder to see snipers. :p

I just didn't know if the Gears community had deemed him 'the favorite' Carmine of the three brothers.

DarkChronic said:
Loving the multiplayer.

I'm not sure if I'm good or everyone else sucks (99% sure its the latter), but I've been absolutely beasting. Never took Gears 1/2 online and I just went 11-1. Feels good, man.

What loadout are you using?

Jrmint

Just finished campaign, what an incredible game.

The art and graphics in that final act were nothing short of breathtaking.

leng jai

They should at least put a Boom/Longshot on the ground in Overpass. Its clearly impossible to kill any semi-competent player on the higher level with a Lancer/Hammerburst.

DoomGyver

leng jai said:
They should at least put a Boom/Longshot on the ground in Overpass. Its clearly impossible to kill any semi-competent player on the higher level with a Lancer/Hammerburst.
Nah, I think it needs another route up to the higher level. A good place would be where the turret is, stairs in the joining building.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
leng jai said:
Placing power weapons elsewhere doesn't stop one team or the other grabbing it and heading up there themselves or farming them regardless. That is not a good approach to balancing, especially considering the fundamental (map layout) issues will still persist.

enzo_gt said:
Placing power weapons elsewhere doesn't stop one team or the other grabbing it and heading up there themselves or farming them regardless. That is not a good approach to balancing, especially considering the fundamental (map layout) issues will still persist.

Having the power weapons spawn on continuous timers like in Halo CE would go a long way in promoting movement.

Though I agree the layouts need tweaking too.

Finished the campaign today. Fun experience on the whole aside from the bosses who, while looking great visually, were absolute ass in the gameplay category. Bullet sponges where you repeat the same tactic over and over for 10 minutes are just not fun, and leaves you feeling so empty afterwards. Also, the soundtrack was weeeeeaaaaaaaak except for one part (everyone knows which part). The music was so boring, but that's a fault of most shooters these days.

I still feel that the game, on the whole, is missing something by adopting a more vibrant style and going away from the horror elements of the first though. There were a FEW instances of how I would've liked the majority of the game to look, especially in the latter half of the campaign, but not nearly enough dark, grimy locals where lighting and shadows took precedent. Oh well.

But still, fun times.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I seriously wish i could get an answer for this

Why haven't i gotten any of my Beta unlocks?
Why is the TU1 update in my Gears of War 3 Beta memory?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Xtortionist said:
Having the power weapons spawn on continuous timers like in Halo CE would go a long way in promoting movement.

Though I agree the layouts need tweaking too.
Can't you tweak that anyways in custom matches?

I'm sure it isn't out of the realm of possibility for Epic to implement such.

2th

Banned
leng jai said:

Mortar/HoD behind the stairs. Also there is no roof at the top of the stairs. Learn the map maybe? I dont have issues with teams camping up there the entire time.

2th said:
Mortar/HoD behind the stairs. Also there is no roof at the top of the stairs. Learn the map maybe? I dont have issues with teams camping up there the entire time.

Like Sandbar, get all 5 players up there and dug in and you simply will not lose.

leng jai

2th said:

Those two weapons are utterly useless when the whole team is camped undercover.

Have I ever told you the definition of insanity?

It's continuing to give the competitive multiplayer in Gears of War 3 chances to impress you, in hopes that this hulking mass of sloppy bullshit will somehow, miraculously coalesce into something resembling a well thought-out gameplay experience.

ARGH! There's so much good here, and it's just buried beneath some of the dumbest, most inconsistent shit ever in a modern shooter.

Jrmint

Just finished a TDM with 10 kills. The next closest person on my team had 2... unbelievable.

Btw what skin are you guys using for your guns? I keep going back and forth between Gold, Chrome and Crimson Omen, can't decide. I'll probably use gold after the first few months when not everyone has it.

2th

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
Like Sandbar, get all 5 players up there and dug in and you simply will not lose.

I agree with sandbar. I am not fond of that map for anything other than Horde or KOTH. It is super campy.

leng jai said:
Those two weapons are utterly useless when the whole team is camped undercover.

Except there is very minimal cover over head on the stairs. or have you never looked up?

Moaradin

DR3AM said:
Fuck the SoS , fuck you bungie FUCKKKKKKKKKKKK

Ya know, the SoS is like Armor lock in Reach, but MUUUUUCH worse. They both have the same flaw. Halo Reach/GoW3 would easily be the best game in their trilogy IF it didn't have that one thing holding them back.

As far as Multiplayer is concerned, anyways.

The Antitype said:
ARGH! There's so much good here, and it's just buried beneath some of the dumbest, most inconsistent shit ever in a modern shooter.

Yep

TDM would be good if some of the maps weren't ass for it

Execution would be good if it was 5 rounds with no SOS

KotH would be good if the spawns were logical and again, no SOS

Btw what skin are you guys using for your guns? I keep going back and forth between Gold, Chrome and Crimson Omen, can't decide. I'll probably use gold after the first few months when not everyone has it.

Flaming Lancer/HB, Gold Retro, Liquid Gnasher, Flaming SOS

Moaradin

Jrmint said:

I only use infected omen because it seems the least amount of people have it, plus it just looks cool. Also use Adam Fenix for the same reason.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Moaradin said:
Ya know, the SoS is like Armor lock in Reach, but MUUUUUCH worse. They both have the same flaw. Halo Reach/GoW3 would easily be the best game in their trilogy IF it didn't have that one thing holding them back.

As far as Multiplayer is concerned, anyways.

holy shit, you are right. armor lock was the reason why i stopped playing halo reach. i loved everything about reach but armor lock. bungie never fixed that shit

It's really hard for me to compare a defensive ability that plants a player to the ground to an instant-kill weapon that a player can sprint around with.

Armor Lock might save you from dying, but you're not going to become a threat to the other team using it. Just an annoyance.

Dug

Banned
Jrmint said:
Just finished a TDM with 10 kills. The next closest person on my team had 2... unbelievable.
I don't get why so many people get angry when they see other team mates having low amounts of kills. Gears of War multiplayer was never really an easy game to be good at, you know? I'm not trying to chew you out or anything, just saying that you shouldn't expect everyone to be able to get as much kills as you, especially in a game like Gears.

DR3AM said:
holy shit, you are right. armor lock was the reason why i stopped playing halo reach. i loved everything about reach but armor lock. bungie never fixed that shit

343i is fixing it; i think its update comes up next month.

On Mercy.

Hill at the front end of the church.

I get the digger. There are three enemies bunched together trying to take the hill from my teammates.

I aim quickly and shoot, directly at the middle of the pack.

The digger goes right past all three, under the gate, before exploding harmlessly in the courtyard.

Does NOTHING in this game work properly? Nothing?

Dug said:
I don't get why so many people get angry when they see other team mates having low amounts of kills. Gears of War multiplayer was never really an easy game to be good at, you know? I'm not trying to chew you out or anything, just saying that you shouldn't expect everyone to be able to get as much kills as you, especially in a game like Gears.

We live in a modern age of gaming, where a modicum of matchmaking is expected from games.

Korosenai

The Antitype said:
On Mercy.

Hill at the front end of the church.

I get the digger. There are three enemies bunched together trying to take the hill from my teammates.

I aim quickly and shoot, directly at the middle of the pack.

The digger goes right past all three, under the gate, before exploding harmlessly in the courtyard.

This game is a festering pile of shit.
you sound mad.

dmg04 said:
I seriously wish i could get an answer for this

Why haven't i gotten any of my Beta unlocks?
Why is the TU1 update in my Gears of War 3 Beta memory?

These are good fucking questions. I deleted nothing from the hard drive since the beta began, but there are no bonus skins to be found.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Antitype said:
We live in a modern age of gaming, where a modicum of matchmaking is expected from games.

I can't think of any game where the matchmaking is actually putting together even teams constantly. One sided matches happen all the time.

Plasmid

Fucking 21-0 and then all the fucking randoms quit.

I get my ass handed to me with 4 god damn bots.

Seriously, fuck randoms, if you're going to join, stay.

God damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom