• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

Doubt anyone will read this, but was fun to write as least.

When did you start playing Gears of War, and with what game?
Bought a Wii on launch day back on November of 06, had been keeping up with the Gears media, but when I saw a demo kiosk and played it for a bit, I knew I had to have it. Got a 360 out of Christmas money in 06, and started playing a few days before Christmas holiday.

Of the games you've played, what is your favorite Gears of War campaign?
I guess it feels silly to say it since it’s still new, but 3. It’s just a case of trimming the fat from 1 and 2, and keeping all the great stuff, and adding even more great stuff.

Who is your favorite member of Delta Squad?

Ehhh.. no real favourite I guess, but I’ll always enjoy the banter Baird has with fellow comrades, just the snarky comedy.

Favorite character period?
I guess I’m cheating, but I’ll always be partial to the Carmine family tree.

Gears of War 3 Multiplayer skin of choice?
Currently C. Carmine, will switch to B Carmine when available, and then eventually A. Carmine.

Weapon of choice?
Gnasher, fell in love with shotgun battles in Gears 1, and that will always stick with me.

Favorite execution?
None in particular, I guess the scorcher is pretty cool and unique.

Favorite multiplayer playlist?
Well, I guess it would be customs, but for a real answer, Social Warzone, just because it’s continuous and never much downtime. It definitely stinks to play against bots commonly, and I always prefer a challenge.

Top 5 favorite competitive multiplayer maps (including DLC)?

Gridlock
Canals
Fuel Depot
Warmachine
Clocktower

Favorite Horde Mode Map?

Eh, Horde mode is cool and all, but I don’t devote much time to it to have a favorite.

Anya or Sam?

Sam, that accent.

Thoughts about the Sawed-Off Shotty in Gears of War 3

I understand the point, giving casuals a shotgun, but it just doesn’t work knowing that skilled players can use the damn thing. It’s currently broken with the range, if that was fixed, well yeah, if a guy is right next to me in melee range, and I don’t kill him first, I deserve to be blown to bits. I’d be fine with being a power weapon pickup on a map as well.

quickwhips

Dyno said:
Sooooo many little whiny bitches! I don't mean to single you out bro but you're the last post to jump on this bandwagon - or should I say Cole Train.

I've done two nights of MP and for the record I am not using the SOS right now. How can anyone bitch about the SOS when clearly, CLEARLY, the weapons of choice are the rifles? GOW3 is a medium range game nine times out of ten. People are getting killed half way across the map WAY more than up close with the SOS. It's ridiculous and becoming blown way out of proportion. This is by far the least shotgun-oriented Gears we've been given.

Nobody complains about knife kills in COD and that is essentially what a SOS kill is. You have to be in melee to get it and thanks to the backroll it is possible to avoid it. People will cry about the double/triple/quad kill capability but I have to ask why are you butt fucking your teammates in the middle of the firefight? If you make yourself a quad-target with your assplay then you have no one but yourself to blame.

Admit it, you've done most of your killing with one of the rifles and so has everyone else.

This is a very true post. I agree and support this statement. Gears has become a rifle game. Gnasher fights when they happen are few for me. They feel more personal now also. If your getting all your kills with gnasher its time to try new things.

quickwhips

mbmonk said:
But when you type it ( and provide no supporting data ) we are supposed to just accept it? Sounds very double standard-ish :)

I think stats will speak alot more when they start coming out and are viewable on the website.

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Oddly Ive found the SOS much less irritating in the full game than in the beta.

Just doesnt seem to be getting used as much.

Dont get me wrong it is still annoying when you get jumped by a cheap SOS user, that still feels like a rip off. But honestly, for all the times Ive been instagibbed there have been a bunch of times where Ive hosed some rushing idiot with my Lancer, or dodged out of range of his SOS before mullering him with the Gnasher.

I guess the problem realy isnt about it's power, its range, its cone of effect, its more about the feeling it gives you as a player. When someone beats me in a Gnasher dance, or a team coordinate lancer fire and drop me as Im roadie running, or some dude pops me with a longshot or torque, it feels right, like I would gladly shake that player's hand and say 'Well played Sir, you got me'.

When I get dropped by a SOS user it rarely feels like that. Ive seen some sweet plays with the SOS that took some timing, movement and balls to pull off, but more often than not it feels a bit cheapy.

mbmonk

quickwhips said:
I think stats will speak alot more when they start coming out and are viewable on the website.

Depends. Personal stats depends on play style, so we would have to get some aggregate stats from Epic.

Also I wonder if playing w/ Randons versus playing with teams would affect the play style as well. When you can't depend on your teammates to flank or protect your back, etc. Would you tend to go shotty versus rifle?

LosDaddie

Banned
Good games last night, Migeulangelos, MjFrancis, and K Dash!

Damn, Act 1 takes a long time. We played for almost 2hrs and weren't finished. :| Still, I had a lot of fun.

REV 09

Gears 1 launch.

Gears of War 2

Marcus

? what is this?

Adam Fenix : Savage Theron

Weapon of choice?
Lancer

Favorite execution?
Retro Lancer

Team Deathmatch

Gridlock
Ruins
Thrashball
Drydock
WarMachine

Favorite Horde Mode Map?

haven't played enough

Anya or Sam?

Sam

it's fine. annoying at times, but if it was gone then the gnasher would serve the same purpose, except people would have more shots before a reload. The SOS keeps the gnasher at bay, and you get 1 chance to kill your target.

Grisby

2006, with my LE tin can Gears of War.

Gears of War. GOW3 is close but lacks that horror feel that was in the original.

Baird. Dat goggles. Got to keep something on in case bones fragments get into your eyes.

I can't pick, :(

Anya, 4 levels away from civvy Anya.

Weapon of choice?
Lancer, although the Longshot is close if not tied.

Favorite execution?
I've been trying to chainsaw my way to heaven since 2006.

Team Deathmatch

Canals
Subway
Gridlock
Fuel Depot
Mansion

Favorite Horde Mode Map?
Mansion

Anya or Sam?
Jack. Wait, what? Nah, it's Anya although Sam is awesome.

Don't mind it. Kinda fun in some circumstances, not in others.

Okay, I'll play.

May or June 2007. I had recently purchased a 360 Elite and it was one of my first games.

Maybe it's just the honeymoon phase, but Gears 3

Cole

Raam (zero personality; I just like the way he looks.)

Ice-T. Best lines in the game. Hahaha.

Weapon of choice?
Torque Bow.

Favorite execution?
Retro

Horde, Warzone

Gridlock, Canals, Subway, Raven Down, Mansion

Favorite Horde Mode Map?
Dry dock or checkout

RUINS THE SANCTITY OF GEARS OF WAR
Haha, J/K. It's effective, but personally, I just don't roll with it.

My god does the MP in this game get old so fast. Each map plays out the same and they're so basic and symmetrical. There's nothing to sink my teeth into. Some of these maps are downright embarrassing in terms of how they play out. I mean, how many freggin times does the game need to be decided in the first 30 seconds. If you get the high ground (sometimes where the best weapon is anyway), you win. If you don't, you lose. Dumb.

The shotgun fests that this game devolves into at those key points in the map all play out exactly the same, has already gotten stale. A wall is a wall. A corner is a corner. Obvious high ground advantage is obvious high ground advantage. And, to "counter", a smoke bomb then a hail mary shotgun fest is a smoke bomb then a hail mary shotgun fest. Yes, some maps are more open than others (some better than others), but it doesn't matter when everyone realizes that you need to take claustrophobic rooms and corridors to win anyway. Half the map is ignored and only used for the occasional flank. Congrats Epic. It took 5 years and 3 tries but I can finally access your mp for what it is because it actually functions now. Too bad the results are so meh. But hey, it works right? I'm sure that impresses some people with their expectations firmly beaten into the ground.

MjFrancis

LosDaddie said:

Damn, Act 1 takes a long time. We played for almost 2hrs and weren't finished. :| Still, I had a lot of fun.
If I come on tonight, I'll play on HARDCORE to make things go quicker. How much farther did you guys get after the gunkers at the stadium entrance?

I think my problem with doing it on Insane is that the projectiles are so viscous that cover offers no protection. I have to do at least 1 1/2 rolls just to dodge a gunker projectile. Transformed lambent drudges have insta-kill projectiles, too, but without the wide radius of damage. Still, both render cover unsafe. Much different than the first Gears of War, where cover served as a sanctuary from nearly every enemy. I might try to solo the rest of the Act on Insane before I go through it again on Hardcore. Could help me out in the long run.

bj00rn_

Banned
Oh gawd.., I bought the game yesterday and was looking forward to an all-nighter in "my" apartment in my fathers house (Work-related travel), but then I realized now that I left the game in my apartment.. Now Marcus just lies there on the table.., looking at my wife while she's playing Farmville.. :(

I just got to play a little of it yesterday (SP), and it was much better than expected (I wasn't exactly excited over the game even though I enjoyed both the previous games). And now even the interiors look great as well!

MjFrancis

I'll take a stab at this survey.

December 2006, Gears of War.

Gears of War - succinct, sweet and trimmed of nearly all fat.

Marcus Fenix

Minh Young Kim

Kantus. They get to wear that cute little hat.

Weapon of choice?
Smoke grenade. I'm a pacifist.

Favorite execution?
Punching an opponent's face in for ten seconds. There goes that pacifism.

Team deathmatch. Suck and die (This happens to me a lot, long live the 1.0 W/L ratio!).

Gridlock (Gears of War 3)
Gridlock (Gears of War)
Gridlock (Gears of War 2)
Canals (Gear of War 2)
Canals (Gears of War)
(Yes I know this is cheating to list two maps for my top 5 :p)

Favorite Horde Mode Map?
Courtyard (Snowblind Map Pack, Gears of War 2)

Completely indifferent. Deal with it or die. Whatever.[/QUOTE]

LosDaddie

Banned
Heads up, Gears-GAF. Check out the "XBL for $35" thread if you want the best deal for XBL right now. And do it quickly because those sales go fast.

I'm now good for XBL until 2013 :)

MjFrancis said:
If I come on tonight, I'll play on HARDCORE to make things go quicker. How much farther did you guys get after the gunkers at the stadium entrance?

I think my problem with doing it on Insane is that the projectiles are so viscous that cover offers no protection. I have to do at least 1 1/2 rolls just to dodge a gunker projectile. Transformed lambent drudges have insta-kill projectiles, too, but without the wide radius of damage. Still, both render cover unsafe. Much different than the first Gears of War, where cover served as a sanctuary from nearly every enemy. I might try to solo the rest of the Act on Insane before I go through it again on Hardcore. Could help me out in the long run.

I think 1 more checkpoint. Not much longer. K-Dash had to go, and so did I.

Damn, ACt 1 takes a long time. And yeah, playing on Hardcore feels right to me. It's challenging, but not frustrating.

pr0cs

_dementia said:
Does anyone have those NECA Gears of War toys? I think I want to get one for the office, lol.
I like them but they cost me a fortune and are pretty brittle. The arm of Marcus came broken and some of Baird's shoulder pads came disconnected. Easy enough to fix but a disappointment initially given how much I paid.

2011-06-02%25252013.11.09.jpg

LosDaddie

Banned
pr0cs said:
I like them but they cost me a fortune and are pretty brittle. The arm of Marcus came broken and some of Baird's shoulder pads came disconnected. Easy enough to fix but a disappointment initially given how much I paid.

Very nice! :)

I didn't like the NECA designs, so I didn't get any. But I do have 3 McFarlane Halo dudes, and NECA's Akuma from SSFIV already....All in my office at work.

And _Dementia, I'd get one for my office. Sometimes it's a good convo starter. :lol

MjFrancis

LosDaddie said:

Damn, ACt 1 takes a long time. And yeah, playing on Hardcore feels right to me. It's challenging, but not frustrating.
If I recall Act 1 is the longest. If you got just one checkpoint past that then there's probably a good half-hour left in that Act. Hardcore is where it's at. Like Goldilocks, Insane is a little hot and requires a bit of patience, Normal is too cold and you wonder why you even need so much cover, and Hardcore is just right.

Epic really needs to nerf/patch shit teammates before they even think about touching the SOS, in my strong opinion.

I am continuously being placed into games where the majority of my teammates are beyond mediocre and perceive the flanking attempts of the enemy to be other-wordly. And I'm not even anything special.

So, Epic, can you please nerf the average retardation of my teammates? Or the frequency in which retardation occurs; either one will do, really. I mean, just reduce the horizontal spread a bit, so I'm not constantly looking from left to right at lumbering, cumbersome cannon fodder.

Another suggestion: let me spot and mark my own retarded teammates, so the enemy can take pity and pretend that they didn't see them blast 3 point-blank Gnasher rounds to the wayside/Retro-rush a heap of innocent sandbags.

I expect to see this in Title Update Uno.

Cheers.

gaming_noob

I just finished the game and I'm blown away at how big of a jump this game is from the other 2. It's like they hired completely new artists/animators for this one.

Kajiba

Man, I love capture the leader. Never get tired of it.

They need to fix the dry dock shit when playing CTL. Having the leader chill on the outer bridge is not cool.

MjFrancis said:
If I recall Act 1 is the longest. If you got just one checkpoint past that then there's probably a good half-hour left in that Act. Hardcore is where it's at. Like Goldilocks, Insane is a little hot and requires a bit of patience, Normal is too cold and you wonder why you even need so much cover, and Hardcore is just right.

I felt Hardcore was easier than normal in the 1st two Gears games.
Maybe it's because the friendly a.i. in this is actually half-way competent?

-PXG-

Gears 1 launch

Gears 1

Baird

RAAM

Classic Baird and Savage Theron

Weapon of choice?

Gnasher

Favorite execution?

Locust arm rip/ beat down

TDM

Gridlock
Canals
Clocktower
Raven Down
Mausoleum

Favorite Horde Mode Map?

Don't have one

Anya or Sam?

Anya

If it's one or two people on a team, I can deal with it. but 3+ is a real headache. The weapon encourages camping. Plus, it's really annoying always getting killed from behind, even worse when a whole team does it. Also, the range and spread are obnoxious. You dont' even need to aim to body someone. Plus, at close range against the Gnasher, the worst thing that happens to the SOS user is getting updated/traded. Again, it's easy to counter when only one or two people are using it. But an entire team? It's just plain stupid and undermines the CQC that Gears is known for.

Hixx

Anyone felt like the game has been a bit laggy this afternoon? It's on dedi's but every Gnasher fight I've been in, both of us have looked absolutely hopeless
KuGsj.gif
There's been a bit of movement stutter and porting back over walls just vaulted etc... wondering if its just my connection or others having problems too?

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
take the survey somewhere else, i need to hear more people complain about the SOS to make me feel better.

-PXG-

DR3AM said:
take the survey somewhere else, i need to hear more people complain about the SOS to make me feel better.

Well, when you have people like Skyllus and arCtiC complaining about it, you know it's pretty fucked.

K' Dash

LosDaddie said:

Yeah, it was fun, sorry about not talking too much, I'm using headphones (could barely hear you) and talking thru my kinect, I didn't know MjFrances and MiguelAngelo are gaffers, I'll send them a friend request
3AQmK.gif

LosDaddie said:

We were a good 45 min to finish act 1; I already finished it on Hardcore Solo over the weekend, I'm trying to get the achievement for doing it multiplayer, and of course it is Much More Fun to do it with gaffers :D

DR3AM said:
Yeah - got bodied last night as someone rushed me with the SOS while I was shooting him with my retro.

feelsbadman.jpg

DR3AM said:

We've not played the game in a competitive mode here (UK) in 2 days or so. Most people are playing horde or beast mode and waiting for a TU or server clarification.

HixxSAFC said:
Anyone felt like the game has been a bit laggy this afternoon? It's on dedi's but every Gnasher fight I've been in, both of us have looked absolutely hopeless
KuGsj.gif
There's been a bit of movement stutter and porting back over walls just vaulted etc... wondering if its just my connection or others having problems too?

Match-making wasn't as speedy and reliable as usual, but every game I got into was pretty damn smooth on my end. Not one hint of portaling/significant movement hindrances.

Plasmid

Bought it in 2006 day of release, didn't get live for another year or so, so i guess 2007?

Gears 1 was cool for me, i initially enjoyed Gears 2's campaign so much more but i'm not picky.

COLE TRAIN BABY.

I do like Sam, she's like an australian baird.

Sam, until Civilian Anya, but i can play with any really.

Weapon of choice?
I'm learning really well with the sniper, but i'm pretty good with any power weapon in general.

Favorite execution?
Torque bow, so vicious.

TDM.

Process.
Escalation.
Checkout.
Sandbar.
Gridlock.

Favorite Horde Mode Map?
Only played on checkout so far.

Anya or Sam?
Sam.

A gun added for casuals to feel better about themselves, i only use it when the other team is blasting away with it, as a counter measure, there's really no other reason for this gun.

Addnan

Reached level 50 wooo.

Hate that I am randomly getting ranked disconnects. Got one when host started migrating at the end of the match and then again when I couldn't make it into a match :(.

zewone

Emergence Day. Gears 1.

Gears 2 was probably the most entertaining.

I usually play as Dom, since I'm MEXICAN. But, love me some Cole Train.

Kantus

Kantus

Weapon of choice?

Longshot.

Favorite execution?

Arm Rip and Beat

Execution. Everything else is just a distraction. Earn your kills.

Gridlock.
Escalation.
War Machine.
Canals.
Clock Tower.

Favorite Horde Mode Map?

Haven't played it.

Anya or Sam?

Neither. They're both annoying.

Haven't played MP besides the beta. Doesn't really bother me.

Raxus

Bought it in 2006 day of release.

Gears 3 despite the pacing issues.

Baird.

Baird and Sam bounce off one another very well.

Sam (COG) and Myrahh (Locust). Once I get the battle maiden onyx I will probably keep Sam or switch her with Superstar Cole. Myrahh will be replaced with Savage Kantus or Grenadier Elite.

Weapon of choice?
Explosives. Particularly Boomshot.
Out of the starting loadout, Gnasher.

Favorite execution?
Scorcher. Shame I can't use the weapon.

TDM in Gears 3, Execution in Gears 1-2

Clocktower
Old Town
Checkout
Mansion
Gridlock

Honorable mention: Thrashball

Favorite Horde Mode Map?
Thrashball.

Anya or Sam?
Sam.

Not so much a thought as a sound. *BLEHHHHHHHHHH* Most people that say SOS is balanced get in a game full of SOS'ers and instantly start complaining about it. It really needs a range nerf.

Adam Blade said:
Antitype is banned? Since when?
And I was just about to share some numbers on the questionnaire he started, too. :/

Guess I'll do it anyway. 34 people have participated for now and I've gathered the numbers to see which maps are more popular according to you guys.

For now the top 5 maps according to Gears GAF are:

1. Gridlock (28 votes)
2. Canals (23 votes)
3. Clock Tower (14 votes)
4. Mansion (12 votes)
5. Fuel Depot, Hotel and Checkout (tied at 8 votes)

It looks like Gears 1 maps seem to dominate our preferences by a landslide. You're right. Here's the total number of votes grouped by which game the maps belong to:

1. Gears 1 maps (113 votes)
2. Gears 3 maps (35 votes)
3. Gears 2 maps (17 votes)

Gears 2 still stings, doesn't it. :p

Lastly, here's the most popular map in each game:

Most popular in Gears 1: Gridlock (27 votes)
Most popular in Gears 2: Jacinto and River (tied at 4 votes)
Most popular in Gears 3: Hotel and Checkout (tied at 8 votes)

* Fun fact: Both Mansion and Hotel seem to be pretty popular. Notice how they have a nearly identical map layout? :)

Well, the masses have spoken. Gears 1 maps FTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom