• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did you start playing Gears of War, and with what game?
I started with Gears of War 1 in 2008 and have played through every single one since then. It's easily one of my favorite video game series.

Of the games you've played, what is your favorite Gears of War campaign?
Probably Gears 2. There were better set pieces and I loved storming into the hollow with other COG Gears.

Who is your favorite member of Delta Squad?
Marcus

Favorite character period?
Carmine

Gears of War 3 Multiplayer skin of choice?
Carmine

Weapon of choice?
I'm pretty deadly with the lancer but I'm also a fan of the torque bow

Favorite execution?
Ground and pound

Favorite multiplayer playlist?
HORDE

Top 5 favorite competitive multiplayer maps (including DLC)?
I like them all equally

Favorite Horde Mode Map?
Hotel

Anya or Sam?
Sam. Anya has that skanky tattoo

Thoughts about the Sawed-Off Shotty in Gears of War 3
Don't care because I stick to horde

Had an INCREDIBLE six-hour Horde session on Sandbar last night with some of the Whiskey Media crew. We were up until 3:15am. Goddamn 50th wave, we just couldn't catch a break. Finally took down the Brumak with two men left standing (one of us bought back in) and there was much celebration!

Volimar

Volimar said:
I just got reset to level 1... In gears 3!

What the fuck Epic?

I mad.

An update. I decided that starting over was preferable to not playing at all, but I tried deleting my profile (just the profile, not the achievements and items) and recovering my gamertag. It worked. I went back to level 24, I guess the level I was when I last played online. I figure I was level 28 or 29 before. I lost a few unlocks and ribbons/medals, but it's better than starting over. I think I'm a little lucky that my glitch happened when i was offline and I could recover most of what I lost so easily.

Still, this should not be happening.

h3ro

Gary Whitta said:
Had an INCREDIBLE six-hour Horde session on Sandbar last night with some of the Whiskey Media crew. We were up until 3:15am. Goddamn 50th wave, we just couldn't catch a break. Finally took down the Brumak with two men left standing (one of us bought back in) and there was much celebration!

Are you guys going to discuss Gears on this weeks Tested podcast?

DanielJr82

I'll take a stab at the survey too. :)

2006 with the original as well.

The first one is still more memorable, but part 3 is no slouch.

Marcus Fenix.

Probably same as above.

Dom / Grenadier Elite.

Weapon of choice?
Lancer.

Favorite execution?
Curb stomp.

Horde Mode 2.0

Don't really play competitive.

Favorite Horde Mode Map?
Sandbar

Anya or Sam?
Anya

I wish they took it out.

h3ro said:
Are you guys going to discuss Gears on this weeks Tested podcast?
I don't think I'm on this week, which spares Norm having to listen to me and Will talk about it since he only just got his copy and has been missing out on all the fun.

Also, screw the SPOILERS TO THE END thread. Whose idea was that title? I just went in there by accident since the title is so similar to this one a glance. I didn't see anything spoilery but it's easy to see how someone could.

see5harp

Gary Whitta said:
I don't think I'm on this week, which spares Norm having to listen to me and Will talk about it since he only just got his copy and has been missing out on all the fun.

What the hell Whitta? You are an essential part of the formula.

Grisby

Gary Whitta said:

Also, screw the SPOILERS TO THE END thread. Whose idea was that title? I just went in there by accident since the title is so similar to this one a glance. I didn't see anything spoilery but it's easy to see how someone could.

Mine. I just thought it was a fun take on this thread's title. Thought more people read the title then just glancing.

Apologies though to anyone that did get accidentally spoiled. I'll pm a mod to change it I guess.

2th

Banned
UT2004 (Technically Gears was originally called Unreal Warfare and was going to be in UT3 but then it was split off into its own gametype.) But if you want the real answer, Gears 1 launch day.

Gears 3

The Cole Train, baby! WOOOO

RAAM for Locust
Cole for COG

Weapon of choice?
Retro

Favorite execution?
Scorcher

TDM and Horde

Gridlock
Clocktower
Mausoleum
Bullet Marsh
Process

Favorite Horde Mode Map?
Mercy

Anya or Sam?
Why can't i just have a threesome with both?

It serves a purpose and people are just angry about it. Does it have issues. Yes. But it is by no means the worst thing ever.

Gary Whitta said:
That mode is addictive. Last time I stayed up until 3:40 AM :/

Grisby said:
Mine. I just thought it was a fun take on this thread's title.

Apologies though to anyone that did get accidentally spoiled. I'll pm a mod to change it I guess.
Meh I dunno if it's worth it if I'm the only complaining.

see5harp

Gary Whitta said:
If only my real job didn't get in the way!

Your real job should be keeping Will Smith from convincing average people to buy $2500 espresso machines. That will be the downfall of society as we know it.

Grisby

Gary Whitta said:
Meh I dunno if it's worth it if I'm the only complaining.

Thought you'd notice the finer detail's being a screenwriter and all that, :p

Nah, I've seen one or two other complaints and just PM'd Y2Kev about it. At the time of this post too the thread was literally right on top of this thread and I don't want anyone to get accidentally spoiled.

JB1981

One thing that I don't believe has gotten enough mention is the new HUD displaying power weapon spawns. This is a MAJOR improvement for people like me who are not good at memorizing weapon spawns. It imagine it might be minor to some but it has a major consequences re: how you approach the battlefield after spawning. I wish Halo supported something like this.

I just played about 6-7 rounds with randoms, played OK ... lots of automatic rifle fire, very little use of sawed off. the community is starting to understand that you can get a lot of kills from a distance, i think

Milly79

I believe it was 2007. I didn't own an Xbox at the time, but I went to a friends and fought RAAM. Never finished the first campaign until '10. Actually beat Gears 2 before I beat Gears.

I have to say Gears 1 was my favorite. Much, much harder and intense.

Damon Baird

Anya Stroud

Unarmored Marcus

Weapon of choice?
Hammerburst

Favorite execution?
Gnasher Shotgun

Tie between KOTH and CTL

Day One (Gears 2)
Avalanche (Gears 2)
Mansion (Gears)
Thrashball (Gears 3)
Tyro Station (Gears)

Favorite Horde Mode Map?
Would have to be Day One for me.

Anya or Sam?
Anya

Easy to defend against, but equally annoying.

Cushen

Neo Member
E-Day 2006

Tough one between the first and third .. I'll go with Gears 3

Dom

Dom

Griffin (COG) and Spotter (Locust) .. although Locust skin doesn't really matter.

Weapon of choice?
Gnasher, Longshot

Favorite execution?
Longshot, Torque Bow

TDM in Gears 3, Execution in Gears 1-2

Fuel Depot (Gears 1)
Clocktower (Gears 1)
Checkout (Gears 3)
Process (Gears 1 DLC)
Gridlock (Gears 3)

Favorite Horde Mode Map?
Overpass (Gears 3)

Anya or Sam?
Anya

I refuse to ever use it, and I'll stick to my Gnasher. Eventually you'll learn how to counter it (quite easily) and it won't frustrate you as much. The people who use it most likely use it because they need to in order to get a kill. At least how that's I see it.

unomas

Banned
Day 1 for Gears of War 1 on Live, got Seriosly 1 year later with 12,000 kills playing Warzone only.

I liked the original, but I'm also enjoying Gears 3, but I haven't finished it yet.

Baird is hilarious.

Boomers

I'm using Jace online right now.

Weapon of choice?

Nades

Favorite execution?

Curb stomp

TDM or Warzone.

Raven Down
Checkout
Old Gridlock (not dark)
Canals
Mansion

Favorite Horde Mode Map?

Haven't played it.

Anya or Sam?

Sam is alright, accent is a little weird if it's authentic.

SOS is the worst weapon in the game, it allows too much camping with little to no skill, and it totally defeats the purpose of the gnasher for close combat. Everyone knows the sawed off is bullshit and should have been removed from the game after the beta, but for some reason the pride of the devs gets in the way. I played the beta and I played online last night for about 4 hours and it's still way too overpowered. The only thing I like about it is the potential to take out a a guy when you're surrounded by multiple enemies.

JB1981

Was launch 2006? Yea, then 2006. It was THE game that made me a believer in next-gen. It was also the most fun I have ever had playing a game online. A large group of us Gaffers would get together virtually every night and host our own private matches. Epic MP battles ensued. It was amazing.

I have to say Gears 1 was my favorite. Art direction is superb, shootouts are more intense and challenging. Endlessly replayable. Encounter design is some of the best in the business.

Carmine

What the hell does this mean?

Classic Carmine

Weapon of choice?
Lancer

Favorite execution?
Longshot

TDM

Mausoleum
Canals
War Machine
Clocktower
Fuel Depot

Favorite Horde Mode Map?
Havent played enough yet to know but Thrashball is fun.

Anya or Sam?
Anya

Should be a power weapon pick-up. Hurts the multiplayer more than adds to it

-PXG-

Gold Gnasher and liquid metal Hammy. All day erry day.

Come at me bro.

I had to take a small break. Too much winning for my little body to handle.

2th

Banned
-PXG- said:
Gold Gnasher and liquid metal Hammy. All day erry day.

Come at me bro.

I had to take a small break. Too much winning for my little body to handle.

Gold Gnasher and Gold Retro. Veteran Gear achievement and unlocked in the beta. Those are the only two really exclusive guns these days.

LosDaddie

Banned
MjFrancis said:
If I come on tonight, I'll play on HARDCORE to make things go quicker. How much farther did you guys get after the gunkers at the stadium entrance?

I think my problem with doing it on Insane is that the projectiles are so viscous that cover offers no protection. I have to do at least 1 1/2 rolls just to dodge a gunker projectile. Transformed lambent drudges have insta-kill projectiles, too, but without the wide radius of damage. Still, both render cover unsafe. Much different than the first Gears of War, where cover served as a sanctuary from nearly every enemy. I might try to solo the rest of the Act on Insane before I go through it again on Hardcore. Could help me out in the long run.

K' Dash said:
Yeah, it was fun, sorry about not talking too much, I'm using headphones (could barely hear you) and talking thru my kinect, I didn't know MjFrances and MiguelAngelo are gaffers, I'll send them a friend request
3AQmK.gif

We were a good 45 min to finish act 1; I already finished it on Hardcore Solo over the weekend, I'm trying to get the achievement for doing it multiplayer, and of course it is Much More Fun to do it with gaffers :D

Thanks for joining last night.

Are you guys game for another ~1hr tonight? Same time for me...9pm EST

I was waiting to buy a 360 til I found a game that I had to have. Gears 1 was that game so I bought a 360 as my Christmas present to myself that year.

Gears 3.

Dom followed closely by Baird.

The Locust sniper who offed Carmine in the first game. I hate Carmine.

Mechanic Baird/Savage Kantus

Weapon of choice?

Retro Lancer.

Favorite execution?

Hammerburst.

TDM.

For Gears 3 it would be:

Hotel
Mercy
Thrashball
Drydocks
Trenches

Favorite Horde Mode Map?

Thrashball.

Anya or Sam?

Sam by far.

If Epic shortened the range to the melee distance (2 or 3ft max) that they originally said it would be then it would be a very balanced weapon.

Not reading any of this thread because Im deathly scared of spoilers (Im in Act 4) but impressions so far:

-Act 1 is a fantastic opener!
-Marcus yelling "DAAAAAAD!!!!" in Act 1 made me laugh histarically
-Ice T plays his part PERFECTLY!!
-Jace is annoying as fuck
-Baird is best character easily
-Dom and Cole personal story arcs are VERY well done

-Game of the Year so far (and havent even finshed me yet)

DONT LET ME DOWN ACT V!!!

Could an experienced Horde mode player tell me the average time it takes to complete and if there are any changes in gameplay if there are less players?

Gary Whitta said:

This happened to me too. Usually I jump into the OT from my subscriptions but I was looking at new posts on the front page and wasn't paying close attention. Thankfully, I already finished the campaign so no damage was done.

That said, I do like the thread title.

Brannon

Oh god. I'm playing this on Insane and it's pissing me the fuck off! And I have no one to blame but myself because I knew what I was getting into.

Whenever there are explosive weapons being thrown around, I do my damndest to get out of the way, but then some fuckwit like Carmine will saunter up next to me while I'm cowering, PERFECTLY HEALTHY MIND YOU, in my cover, and then HE gets hit with the explosive, but *I* die and he's just standing there with his thumb up his ass like nothing happened. So many times this has happened and... GAWD. I am literally the weakest THING on the battlefield; even wooden crates and cardboard have more durability.

But I'm going to keep doing it because I apparently love bashing my head against a cactus.

I felt like I had a terrible time yesterday, quit early for the night, and swore the game off until this weekend. It got to the point where it just wasn't fun anymore and brought back bad memories from Gears 2. Why do I suddenly want to play again as soon as I get home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom