• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisby

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I felt like I had a terrible time yesterday, quit early for the night, and swore the game off until this weekend. It got to the point where it just wasn't fun anymore and brought back bad memories from Gears 2. Why do I suddenly want to play again as soon as I get home?

Cause your addicted.

I'm addicted. The countdown noise before the matches begin has been in my head all day.

K' Dash

LosDaddie said:
Thanks for joining last night.

Are you guys game for another ~1hr tonight? Same time for me...9pm EST

I'll be online tonight for sure, but I'll join you a little bit later, My GF wants to go to that new coffee place after work, after that I'm on Gears mode, so 9:30-10pm EST

JB1981

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I felt like I had a terrible time yesterday, quit early for the night, and swore the game off until this weekend. It got to the point where it just wasn't fun anymore and brought back bad memories from Gears 2. Why do I suddenly want to play again as soon as I get home?

Such is Gears of War multiplayer. Although I must say I am having a lot more fun than I ever did with 2. The game supports multiple playstyles, gone are the days where the shotgun downs people from across the map. Gotta get in close to use that shotty now.

JB1981

wow gears 2 all over again this evening. host shotty. dude has 2x3 more kills than everyone else. shotgun just TEARING PEOPLE UP. Game is garbage without dedis.

TheOddOne

KittyKittyBangBang said:
-Jace is annoying as fuck
-Baird is best character easily
wtf.gif

2th

Banned
JB1981 said:
wow gears 2 all over again this evening. host shotty. dude has 2x3 more kills than everyone else. shotgun just TEARING PEOPLE UP. Game is garbage without dedis.

you do realize everything but private games are run off dedicated servers right?

Eric WK

Thought I'd float this out there just in case.

I have a Commando Dom and a Savage Kantus code - looking for a Battlefield 3 Beta Early Access key for 360.

JB1981 said:
you do realize that when servers are down the game runs p2p right?
Some people are just good. This game is just much easier then the other 2 even when p2p is working as the netcode is better. Why bother playing if you're just going to whine when people do good? Some people CAN get 2-3x more kill then weaker players. I typically have 2-3000 points and most have 5-900 or so.

Only change I would like to see if Execution rules in TDM or atleast an option in none ranked. Far too easy and people steal kills like bitches. Not a big deal though.

TRios Zen

JB1981 said:
you do realize that when servers are down the game runs p2p right?

I really wish there was a way to tell when you were on servers or not.

For example, some kid last night WRECKED my team... went on an 8-0 killing streak to finish the match last night. What's amazing about it was a) at one point he was between three of us - 2 shotguns shooting at him and one retro and he just one shot gibbed us in succession and b) he went 24-2 that match (or something like that) but his stats said his lifetime KD was a 1.0.

Now if I knew we were on dedi's I'd say "good game man" and accept that for that game, we sucked. But as he seemed near impervious to our gunfire and his shotgun was the screaming angel of death...well it brought back not very good Gears 2 memories.

So I just bought the game. I've just completed Act I. It was quite entertaining. The graphics are top notch and the gameplay is just as good as ever. Funny dialogue too ! I hope the rest of the game is just as good.

On a side note, I think it is the best looking game on the 360 and right on par with Uncharted 2 or GoW III. The lighting is mind blowing. Beautiful textures and shaders all over the place.

JB1981

Horsemama1956 said:
Some people are just good. This game is just much easier then the other 2 even when p2p is working as the netcode is better. Why bother playing if you're just going to whine when people do good? Some people CAN get 2-3x more kill then weaker players. I typically have 2-3000 points and most have 5-900 or so.

Only change I would like to see if Execution rules in TDM or atleast an option in none ranked. Far too easy and people steal kills like bitches. Not a big deal though.

I am talking about a guy who just rolls through an entire fucking team like he is invincible. I am not talking about someone who is just skilled. This guy's shotgun was absolutely absurd and at range it was a BEAST. It was always 3 shots to his 2. Even his other weapons, like the Lancer, absolutely MURDERED people in 2 seconds flat.

JB1981 said:

I got host after a host migration a couple of days ago and yeah... It almost feels bad pwning bitches left and right and sponging like mad.

Almost.

-PXG-

Man, if you really want to play as Prescott, you'll have to play 300 matches in each of the six gametypes. That's nuts.

Stantron

Retro Lancer execution should cause the enemy's head to slice off, then roll away.
I should be able to head shot an enemy while a teammate is chainsawing him. Not to steal the kill, but for effect.
Why is there an "Ahhhhhhhgg" sound effect after I've already gibbed an enemy with a shotty? He's obliterated.

pr0cs

Stantron said:
Why is there an "Ahhhhhhhgg" sound effect after I've already gibbed an enemy with a shotty? He's obliterated.
that's their innards finally relaxing/releasing and making noises

sajj316

Risk Breaker said:
I got host after a host migration a couple of days ago and yeah... It almost feels bad pwning bitches left and right and sponging like mad.

Almost.

Experienced that a couple days ago. Maybe it was you!!!!

2th

Banned
-PXG- said:
Man, if you really want to play as Prescott, you'll have to play 300 matches in each of the six gametypes. That's nuts.

bot games... lots and lots of bot games. That is how im going to do it. Make a private game and set warzone, execution, wingman, and CTL to the minimal amount of bots and go to bed.

Fantasmo

BattleMedic said:
Could an experienced Horde mode player tell me the average time it takes to complete and if there are any changes in gameplay if there are less players?
About 3 hours with 5 decent players on Normal. It helps immensely if everyone has a mic and plays together instead of high score/kill stealing type behavior. I imagine it can be as low as 1.5 - 2 hours if you purposefully lose boss waves until you get
Lava Tossers (dunno their names) or Brumak instead of Berzerkers / Lambent Berzerkers / Reavers (honestly they're not so bad but you need turrets because they come out three at a time)
. But we tried every round so it took 3 hours.

Two players is doable but infinitely harder because all the pressure is on the other player if one goes down and it gets nasty.

I can't tell if more simultaneous enemies show up with five players compared to two, but it is definitely much easier with five people.

Trenches is a great five player map if you build your fort in the center area. You can use the Tac/Com button to see better when the sandstorm horn goes off. Overpass is suited for two people. Again, build in the center (top of staircase)

Protip: power weapons (mortar/hammer) swap each round whether you win or lose. Power weapons cannot be replenished with ammo and do not respawn so make sure to grab a hammer on the appropriate round before each 10th round. There is a mortar/hammer behind the staircase in Overpass. You have to go all the way around to get it. Make sure you know all the tricks for killing the bosses quickly because you will be fighting them within the waves, mostly more than one at a time.

Most important tips: You keep money even if you lose (besides the -$100 for dying). And save your money. Early waves require nothing. Use your best judgement, but nearly all waves past 10 require little but one turret, and a couple level 1 barriers to keep them from swarming. But once you hit 31 and especially 41, things get out of control very quickly. You don't want to be broke at 50.

Extra tips EDIT: If you're doing 2 player, the Gorgon pistol on Overpass is a life saver if you don't have time to reload. Between one rifle and one power weapon, you can get slaughtered if your buddy goes down and you have to reload. It's only $200 and shows up every other round on the street to the left and right of the staircase. It fires fast. Last quick tip. Ammo is near the Gorgon/Boltok on Overpass and directly underneath that center Command Post area on Trenches. Ammo is $500 if you're around halfway or more. Ammo is $1000 if you are any closer to empty than that. Scorcher on Overpass is at the top of the stairs and next to the ammo I mentioned on Trenches.

Okay I'm done lol

Apdiddy

I think I played with PXG earlier and was shocked at his level. Level 60 (!). Me, I'm at lowly level 14. Sorry for being awful PXG.

Oh, and KOTH is my new crack. Soo good. If you have the right team and everyone is rushing at the next point, it's great. But if you got dudes camping away from the next point, HUH?

Raxus

Seth Balmore said:
300 CTL matches? ...

Good thing I don't like Prescott.
Just fill a game with bots and play one round CTL's with 10 second capture. Leave your xbox on while the game plays out and go to sleep, study, whatever.

Sooo... I just did a Rampage on Overpass by using ONLY the Lancer. Kinda boring but it was oh so delicious to down and kill all those SOS headless chickens.

Dreaver

I'm really digging the maps. There isn't one 'bad' map in my opinion. I especially love Gridlock, Oldtown and Mercy.. So good

-PXG- said:
EngraversGothic BT
Cheers!

Oh, and the survey.

When did you start playing Gears of War, and with what game?
I played Gears of War 1 campaign in... 2007/2008. Never really bothered with multiplayer.

Of the games you've played, what is your favorite Gears of War campaign?
Gears 3 is a better game in my opinion, better firefights and no boring parts but a disappointing ending.

Gears 2 had more 'epic' moments (worm, the speech, palace) and a pretty epic ending. I think Gears 3 wins with a notch.

Who is your favorite member of Delta Squad?
Cole

Favorite character period?
Skorge

Gears of War 3 Multiplayer skin of choice?
Anya

Weapon of choice?
Retro Lancer

Favorite execution?
Lancer

Favorite multiplayer playlist?
Wingman

Top 5 favorite competitive multiplayer maps (including DLC)?
Haven't played any Gears 1 multi, and just a bit of 2. So I will just keep it at Gears 3 multi:
1. Gridlock
2. Oldtown
3. Mercy
4. Trashball
5. Checkout

Favorite Horde Mode Map?
Haven´t played any, but Sandbar will be the one to try first for me.

Anya or Sam?
Anya

Thoughts about the Sawed-Off Shotty in Gears of War 3
Annoying at first, easy to beat when you´re getting decent with the Retro Lancer.

Fallacy

Neo Member
I guess I'll go ahead and fill it out.

Gears 1 2007

Gears 1 Kryll had the scary factor

A. Carmine

A. Carmine

No Cyclops yet so Griffin

Weapon of choice?
Lancer

Favorite execution?
Lancer

Execution

1. Jacinto
2. Mansion
3. Hotel
4. Blood Drive
5. Old Town

Favorite Horde Mode Map?
Overpass

Anya or Sam?
Anya

Don't like it, forces me to Lancer more than I want to.

mickcenary said:
How exactly does one get Classic Marcus? 'Tis the only skin I'm interested in, really.
I believe you need to play 500 matches of any mode - TDM, KOTH, CTL, etc.

Edit: 500 matches according to StalkerUKCG... I stand corrected. Oh my gatos!

Got my first hate message, talking about noobs running around with the SOS and telling me to go play GTA4 or something... lol.

PS: I LOOOOVE headshots, dem hat tricks.

alterno69

Banned
I've had a really bussy couple of weeks, my wife is picking this up for me today, i'm getting a six pack on my way home after what will be a very tough meeting with a client in a couple of minutes.

This better be good, this is my favorite new ip this gen so i have high expectations.

Wish me luck on tthe meeting lol.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
JB1981 said:
Overpass is an unbalanced piece of shit

If they placed another way of getting up to the top it would be fine. As it stands though once a half decent team gets up there youre done. Personally i grab the scorcher and smoke tag the middle pillar on the inside. I cant tell you how many times i fried entire desperate teams as my teammates get on the turret and go to work.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
We need Blood Drive, asap!

Also, thanks to that one dude's video about using the Lancer against SOS users, I decided to use his tactic of always going for the ink grenade and using it to flesh people out of tight spots (mortar/one shot spawn, the church, etc.) and I'm surprised I didn't think of it before.

Really nice way to change up stalemates on that map (which happen too often).

-PXG-

Domino Theory said:
We need Blood Drive, asap!

Also, thanks to that one dude's video about using the Lancer against SOS users, I decided to use his tactic of always going for the ink grenade and using it to flesh people out of tight spots (mortar/one shot spawn, the church, etc.) and I'm surprised I didn't think of it before.

Really nice way to change up stalemates on that map (which happen too often).

Blood Drive is DLC.

rpgb46

December 2006, Gears 1. Failed first year of university due to warzone multiplayer.

Gears 3

Dom, by far the best character

Dom

Grenadier

Weapon of choice?

Boomshot

Favorite execution?

retro lancer

TDM

Raven Down
Checkout
Gridlock
Canals
Helipad

Favorite Horde Mode Map?

Overpass

Anya or Sam?

Sam.

Great weapon, don't cry if you don't know how to counter it.

EteRnal_PAL said:
I believe you need to play 200 matches of any mode - TDM, KOTH, CTL, etc.

Neato. Thanks. I've heard conflicting figures, though; some say 200, some 250 and some even say 500.

Is it possible via private matches? And can I set up matches that can be done with in a jiffy?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
-PXG- said:
Blood Drive is DLC.

Yeah, I just wish it'd come out now.

Aside from the SOS which is garbage, I think Gears 3 is pretty damn incredible. I remember in Gears 1 and 2, I stayed the hell away from all power weapons because I was horrible with them and felt too much pressure on the off chance that I did pick one up, but in Gears 3, I'm making an effort to always go for the power weapons and try my best to learn them.

They're by no means easier to use in Gears 3, there's just something about this game that's MAKING me want to go for them and get better at them compared to the previous games where I just stayed away from them.

Fallacy

Neo Member
Domino Theory said:
Yeah, I just wish it'd come out now.

Aside from the SOS which is garbage, I think Gears 3 is pretty damn incredible. I remember in Gears 1 and 2, I stayed the hell away from all power weapons because I was horrible with them and felt too much pressure on the off chance that I did pick one up, but in Gears 3, I'm making an effort to always go for the power weapons and try my best to learn them.

They're by no means easier to use in Gears 3, there's just something about this game that's MAKING me want to go for them and get better at them compared to the previous games where I just stayed away from them.
Snipe is crazy easier to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom