• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, when I used custom resolutions, and I had the same resolution in Gedosato, that resolution would just show up twice in game, one triggering the gedosato overlay. At least I think that's how it worked.

BONKERS

It works by “pretending” that both the desktop and monitor are the given renderResolution in size, forcing that to always be reported

Is this tricking the GPU/Driver or just the game program?

robgrab

Just downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers (344.48) so I could experiment with DSR. My initial impressions are mostly positive. The most obvious advantage has been the ability to do proper downsampling with OpenGL and DX11 games. Before that I had to create custom resolutions in the NVIDIA Control Panel which worked but made the image much softer. While this is a much better solution I still prefer using GeDoSaTo whenever possible for the following reasons:

• MUCH better performance
  • Customizable image quality
  • Customizable plugins for removing things like HUD and other postprocess effects (RE5)
  • Numerous postprocessing effects
  • Ability to toggle performance info without using a third party application like FRAPS
Those are just a few off the top of my head. Even though GeDoSaTo began as a downsampling tool it's become so much more. Please continue development, Durante, it gets more useful with each release.

Durante

Hey Durante, if I wanted to use DSR for downsampling but also gedosato features like hudless and such, what would be the best way to do it? Or would the two interfere with each other if I have same resolutions with DSR and GeDoSaTo? Is it possible to globally disable downsampling in _user.ini (and then of course re-enable it for games like FF13)?
You should just remove any resolutions you want to use from DSR from the list.

Is this tricking the GPU/Driver or just the game program?
I can't trick the GPU or Driver. It's literally not possible.

This is the software stack:

Code:
 Application / Game
--------------------
 >>   GeDoSaTo   <<
--------------------
      DirectX
--------------------
    Driver / OS
--------------------
      Hardware

Anything below the DX level is signed (partially kernel-level) code. I can't do anything about it.

Ported Timothy Lottes CRT shader to GeDo :

crtk0pur.png

You can configure it to look more low-res by setting float2 res = SCREEN_SIZE / 6.0;
Here is the Pastebin. I fixed a few warnings in the shader file as well

How odd that it treats horizontal and vertical the same, when real CRTs do not.
The 'low-res' png with float2 res = SCREEN_SIZE / 6.0; is probably closer to the intended implementation. I took the liberty of decreasing it to 3.0 but feel free to revert it back to 6.0

EDIT : besides he says it's "more along the style of a really good CGA arcade monitor" than a CRT

Maybe a dumb question that has already been asked/answered but here it is;

Anyway to resize the text (not a huge concern) and the mouse pointer (huge concern)?

I love running this but playing some games downsampled is insanely difficult. Would love to downsample HotS but haven't even bothered yet because I know I will lose the pointer in team fights.

Parsnip

Alrighty.

I went with this in my _user.ini, because otherwise the resolutions from default ini would show up and commenting them out or removing them would only last until the next update.
Code:
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 5120x2880@60
renderResolution 5760x3240@60
renderResolution 7680x4320@60

Perks

Neo Member
Hey,

I've got a question in regards to mass effect 2. I seems that downsampling works fine, but the post-processing effects do not take effect.

Is that a common issue with this game, or am I missing something?

P.S.: Still curious about possibilities to downsample Diablo III

Regards

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey,

I've got a question in regards to mass effect 2. I seems that downsampling works fine, but the post-processing effects do not take effect.

Is that a common issue with this game, or am I missing something?

P.S.: Still curious about possibilities to downsample Diablo III

Regards

Someone submitted a PSHash for the game, which means post processing should only affect the non-HUD elements.

Have you gotten ingame and seen if it works on everything but the HUD? If that's not the case, then perhaps it's the wrong PSHash value. If so, you can comment out the PShash in the Mass Effect 2's GeDoSaTo.ini file and it should ideally apply to everything.

Ported Timothy Lottes CRT shader to GeDo :

crtk0pur.png

You can configure it to look more low-res by setting float2 res = SCREEN_SIZE / 6.0;
Here is the Pastebin. I fixed a few warnings in the shader file as well

The 'low-res' png with float2 res = SCREEN_SIZE / 6.0; is probably closer to the intended implementation. I took the liberty of decreasing it to 3.0 but feel free to revert it back to 6.0

EDIT : besides he says it's "more along the style of a really good CGA arcade monitor" than a CRT

Do you plan to submit this? If not I'll just download it from the pastebin you linked.

Also I really should set up a Dolphin build that works with GeDoSaTo some time. Seeing you fooling around on NSMBWii is gettin me jealous!

Indeed - it seems the sample you provided in-line doesn't even have the line blanking aspect of the simulation at all, which is sort of vital to replicating the visual effect. Without it, it looks more like a low resolution LCD panel's output.

Accurate simulation of a CRT by necessity requires the input video to be lower vertical resolution than the shader output, because you have to simulate the blanking lines to complete the effect.

One3rd

Created new pull request for Cartoon and Monochrome shaders ported over from SweetFX.

The last image has both applied with the cartoonpower set to max at 33MP. It doesn't seem to scale well with resolution.

BONKERS

I can't trick the GPU or Driver. It's literally not possible.

This is the software stack:

Code:
 Application / Game
--------------------
 >>   GeDoSaTo   <<
--------------------
      DirectX
--------------------
    Driver / OS
--------------------
      Hardware

Anything below the DX level is signed (partially kernel-level) code. I can't do anything about it.
Understandable.

Just wish could get some way for the driver to think the render resolution is the desktop resolution(Or that the final resolution is not your native). That way they match and can enable things to work.

I suppose this will be DSR's primary benefit.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Since Nvidia released proper DSR drivers for Kepler, I want to try destructive downsampling.

MSAA -> 4K GeDoSaTo Lanczos -> DSR 2x -> 1080p

Edit: Nope I couldn't get them both to work properly..can't use GeDoSaTo and DSR both together.

But, I just checked DSR 4x in Dota 2 and something's weird..FPS is high.
Link for the screen shot -> http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/35227289382681530/15B6C7587673CB154C9B40AD740D48C3DDDD50F7/

Edit 2: But* downsampling with lanczos filter from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080 looks better than this 4K DSR (haha)

7Sins

Neo Member
Glad you got it working ! I was so scared it was a NVIDIA/ATI issue with the shader itself. Wrong nearZ/farZ values should never crash your games. I mean unless you forgot a semi-colon in the shader or something :)

I'm positive I didn't forgot anything. In fact, I updated to the latest version of GeDoSaTo, clean slate. I installed Devil May Cry 4, set all the necessary settings for SAO to work (default SAO config) started the game and it crashed. Default nearZ and and farZ parameters were set to 0.1/40.0.

So, again, I edited the file and one of the parameters (nearZ to 0.5) and the game worked this time. Switched the two values to the initial ones, no problem.

I'm not sure why it's constantly crashing the games if I don't edit one of the two parameters. Is there a problem on my end? I remember Alo81 saying that SAO wasn't working on his end also.

DoF could be useful, I'm not really using it much but could be useful when taking screenshots to mask some of the ugliness. Keep us posted on that. :)

//that game looks like Silent Hill 2 btw.

Perks

Neo Member
Plain old driver downsampling works for me in that game

Does that apply for all games then? Or can I set it up for D3 separately. I'm not that familiar with driver downsampling.

Someone submitted a PSHash for the game, which means post processing should only affect the non-HUD elements.

Have you gotten ingame and seen if it works on everything but the HUD? If that's not the case, then perhaps it's the wrong PSHash value. If so, you can comment out the PShash in the Mass Effect 2's GeDoSaTo.ini file and it should ideally apply to everything.

The PShash is cbc3def0. I don't know if thats correct. Whatever the case, there is no postprocessing whatsoever, disregarding the hud-elements.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm positive I didn't forgot anything. In fact, I updated to the latest version of GeDoSaTo, clean slate. I installed Devil May Cry 4, set all the necessary settings for SAO to work (default SAO config) started the game and it crashed. Default nearZ and and farZ parameters were set to 0.1/40.0.

So, again, I edited the file and one of the parameters (nearZ to 0.5) and the game worked this time. Switched the two values to the initial ones, no problem.

I'm not sure why it's constantly crashing the games if I don't edit one of the two parameters. Is there a problem on my end? I remember Alo81 saying that SAO wasn't working on his end also.

DoF could be useful, I'm not really using it much but could be useful when taking screenshots to mask some of the ugliness. Keep us posted on that. :)

//that game looks like Silent Hill 2 btw.

SAO is still not working on my end updating to the latest version, or using the dll boulo posted. All the testing below was done on both dll's.

I've tested some things out and gotten some weird results.

For example, doing your method of replacing one variable doesn't work for me. I've also tried copying the entire contents of the mssao file and pasting it into SAO's file and seeing if SAO would work and it still crashes. I then tried copying all of SAO's original file into MSSAO's and setting the game to MSSAO and it would boot the game, but no AO is added to the final image (although depth is visible when using show depth).

The logfile doesn't really spit out anything very useful either, only saying that if failed to compile the sao.fx file.

So no idea what could be the issue.

Does that apply for all games then? Or can I set it up for D3 separately. I'm not that familiar with driver downsampling.

The PShash is cbc3def0. I don't know if thats correct. Whatever the case, there is no postprocessing whatsoever, disregarding the hud-elements.

You should try just removing that PShash all together and seeing if post processing works then.

dino1980

Hi,

I have a problem that DS2 wont load up when im using gedosato, its just showing the loading swirl at the mouse pointer in windows and then nothing happens. If I turn gedosato off then DS2 loads and plays fine.

I have tried to run both programs as administrator but that didnt have any effect.

Lime

What setting do I have to change to make the screenshots be in .png format? After updating it seems to be doing it in .bmp in FFXIII despite logging it as .png

So no idea what could be the issue.
Weird. I don't understand either. Hopefully we won't have as many problems with my next commit.

Ported good ol' HBAO to GeDo. It still looks good even if it's old. It reaaally runs like crap though even after all these years. It's a beautiful Powerpoint in short, even working on a 1/2 sized depthbuffer. Here's how it looks maxed out (DS2 on the left and fr-041 debris on the right)

I'll submit it anyway if you guys are interested. More options are always better right ?
Unless someone pays for the HBAO+ source-code and lets us port it :D

[Asmodean]

For anyone interested: I updated the post_asmodean shader to 1.50 on github. Various improvements and optimizations to the existing effects, and I also added cel shading with palette conversions & colour rounding, as it was requested.

Thanks to Durante's great PS hash technique it won't affect menus etc, if you've got an injectPSHash set for a given game.

#Edit: Some random(bad) cel shading example screens below. Taken in Divinity - OS (cel shading doesn't really suit this game imo, but it's the game I had on when I was testing ;p)

You can either wait for it to be merged on github, or download it here

cross posting from the Killer is dead thread, I'm wondering if anyone could help me with this

I've checked the general gedosato thread and read through some of this one but I can't find a solution to my (probably obvious) problem.

I'm trying to downsample killer is dead using gedosato but it doesn't seem to pick up the fact that I'm starting the game. I set up a user config file with the downsampling resolution, the game is already in the whitelist and I've checked 'use whitelist'.

Any help would be appreciated, even if you could point me to a place that is explicit about how you would add any generic game.

Edit: I tried toggling the hud to see what was going on and it says some error about needing some form of injection handling.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Weird. I don't understand either. Hopefully we won't have as many problems with my next commit.

Ported good ol' HBAO to GeDo. It still looks good even if it's old. It reaaally runs like crap though even after all these years. It's a beautiful Powerpoint in short, even working on a 1/2 sized depthbuffer. Here's how it looks maxed out (DS2 on the left and fr-041 debris on the right)

I'll submit it anyway if you guys are interested. More options are always better right ?

Absolutely interested yeah. I've been on a tear of just testing out games with a bunch of different stuff to see what's possible. Games are moving at ~5fps, but it's but it's great to see the possibilities, and be excited for playing these things at ~30fps in 3 years when better GPU's come out!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is GeDo still working with PCSX2? I can't seem to get it to hook in. When looking at logs you can see that GeDo is doing SOMETHING, but it doesn't seem to hook appropriately.

I've tried 1920x1080 and 5120x2880 (5120x2880 is one of my render res's, 1920x1080 is my present res) using both DX9 hardware and software backends. No luck.

Any particular trick to getting this to work? I read others saying they had it working in the past.

cross posting from the Killer is dead thread, I'm wondering if anyone could help me with this

Have you tried changing the game config, instructions from the killer is dead ot:
1-Go to Program Files(X86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\KillerIsDead\KidGame\Config
2-Open The File KidEngine.Ini and edit
3- Change ResX and ResY to the resolution you want to the resolution you want to downsample too.

I also found a pshash for the game, 9e65bf48, not sure if you need it to downsample. I made a pull request on git hub.

Have you tried changing the game config, instructions from the killer is dead ot:

I also found a pshash for the game, 9e65bf48, not sure if you need it to downsample. I made a pull request on git hub.

cheers I'll check both of these out. I saw that thing about the resX and resY but I couldn't find them in the config (checked both the config listed and another similarly named one). Now to wait until I have some time to try it out.

Is GeDo still working with PCSX2? I can't seem to get it to hook in. When looking at logs you can see that GeDo is doing SOMETHING, but it doesn't seem to hook appropriately.

I've tried 1920x1080 and 5120x2880 (5120x2880 is one of my render res's, 1920x1080 is my present res) using both DX9 hardware and software backends. No luck.

Any particular trick to getting this to work? I read others saying they had it working in the past.
Nope I don't think it has ever worked. I think people were fooled into thinking it did but I just can't see how it would without a proper CreateAdditionalSwapChain hook, which is not implemented. I did however implemented it a while ago but it's a lot of changes basically just for 1 app. I don't think any other game will need that. I kept the files on my drive though if someone really needs it. I badly wanted to get AO on pcsx2 but it just won't work unfortunately the emu doesn't write anything to my injected deph texture. Dolphin and nulldc work nicely though. But they would both need dedicated plugin imo

[Asmodean];135888799 said:
For anyone interested: I updated the post_asmodean shader to 1.50 on github.
Reminds me a bit of the paint shader on ENB board. Pretty nice.

Also, I wanted to ask you something regarding SAO. Why is it creating a grid like AO on some of the edges?
There's a comment in the shader that says "a scale of 3 [leaves] a 1-pixel checkerboard grid" so lower SCALE to (2). But you know, the grid pattern shouldn't show once blended into the final picture

Anteater

hmm I'm not sure how to share the profile thing, but I took a stab at looking for a hash for NFS hot pursuit and this works!

injectPSHash 3ede6b71

only tested it on like 1 course though

edit: this doesn't hide the positional markers :( don't know how to fix it.

7Sins

Neo Member

I also tried it like a month ago thinking it would definitely work with pcsx2 (some screenshots must've deceived me) but it doesn't, at least not with the GSDX video plugin. Try ZeroGS.

Raises hand

Also, I wanted to ask you something regarding SAO. Why is it creating a grid like AO on some of the edges?

(look closely)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Nope I don't think it has ever worked. I think people were fooled into thinking it did but I just can't see how it would without a proper CreateAdditionalSwapChain hook, which is not implemented. I did however implemented it a while ago but it's a lot of changes basically just for 1 app. I don't think any other game will need that. I kept the files on my drive though if someone really needs it. I badly wanted to get AO on pcsx2 but it just won't work unfortunately the emu doesn't write anything to my injected deph texture. Dolphin and nulldc work nicely though. But they would both need dedicated plugin imo

Reminds me a bit of the paint shader on ENB board. Pretty nice.

I'm basically trying to see if hooking GeDo into the emulator, we would be able to dump and replace textures conveniently with an emulator, so it would be cool if you could share that version. There's a lot of PS2 games it could be useful for, and with how good Dolphins texture replacement community has been, it would be great to learn if it's possible for one to build up for the PS2 community.

BONKERS

I can only dream.

If we could talk to Nvidia and find out how much it would cost to implement/license this, could have bunch of people pitch in who are interested. I know I would lol

I also tried it like a month ago thinking it would definitely work with pcsx2 (some screenshots must've deceived me) but it doesn't, at least not with the GSDX video plugin. Try ZeroGS.

Raises hand

(look closely)

This is just regular AO noise that does not seem to have been filtered out quite properly. At least is what looks like

robgrab

Anyone get GeDoSaTo to work with Half Life 2 Cinematic Mod? It works fine with the Half Life 1 remake (Black Mesa) but not Cinematic Mod. I was wondering if they're both trying to access the same file and there's a conflict or what. These are the files I added to th e Whitelist:
hl2
Launcher_EP0
Launcher_EP1
Launcher_EP2

I've started seeing this pop-up recently when starting gedosato:

hmm_by_realghostvids-d84fk1s.jpg

I'm not sure if it's related to the most recent update because I think it started happening well after I had applied that update. As far as I know I'm not doing anything differently in regards to closing the tool; I just shut down my PC each night as I've done for years.

Edit: Right after I post this I see there's another update. I'll see if this helps.

7Sins

Neo Member
There's a comment in the shader that says "a scale of 3 [leaves] a 1-pixel checkerboard grid" so lower SCALE to (2). But you know, the grid pattern shouldn't show once blended into the final picture

Unfortunately it DOES show in the final picture, not only in the AO map, that's the problem. With scale (2) it's still there but a little less noticeable. Scale (1) is the best but AO isn't blending properly so I have to somehow work the settings to see if I can make it look more decent. I can even see that grid in your HBAO shots.

I don't mind it while I'm playing but if you are taking screenshots it can ruin them.

Try to replace

Code:
weight *= max(0.0, 1.0 - (2000.0 * EDGE_SHARPNESS) * abs(tapKey - key));

by

Code:
weight *= max(0.0, 1.0 - ([B]400.0 [/B]* EDGE_SHARPNESS) * abs(tapKey - key));

I've seen what you describe happen and it bothered me a bit but I seem to no longer get it now with the latest changes I submitted. I just took a shot in AC1 and unless my eyesight is getting bad (I'm getting old after all !) I'm not getting a grid pattern at all :

SAO
HBAO (that's not really the point but I can't help comparing)

Is there anyway to get this working on Metal Gear Revengeance? It looks terrible on my 1440p screen being locked at 1080p.

Get this fix

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jvcw3l4lq2d023c/TheRadikFix.rar</span></blockquote>

and it will run the game at whatever your desktop resolution is set to (including custom downsampling resolutions)

also consider getting this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97260557&postcount=6133

as it removes the ass ugly extremely low rez film grain

And if you're on Nvidia: 0x084012C1 for SSAA and 0x0000001F (Demigod bits) for AO

Naedtrax

Banned
Get this fix

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jvcw3l4lq2d023c/TheRadikFix.rar</span></blockquote>

and it will run the game at whatever your desktop resolution is set to (including custom downsampling resolutions)

also consider getting this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97260557&postcount=6133

as it removes the ass ugly extremely low rez film grain

And if you're on Nvidia: 0x084012C1 for SSAA and 0x0000001F (Demigod bits) for AO

I'm trying to get the resolution fix enabled but i can't seem to get it working, i have it in the .exe directory and all it seems to do is make the window i am currently using go full screen mode.

I also cannot find the 0x084012C1 in AA compat.

Thanks for the help, i've been waiting awhile to find a fix so i can actually enjoy the game :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm trying to get the resolution fix enabled but i can't seem to get it working. I also cannot find the 0x084012C1 in AA compat.

Thanks for the help, i've been waiting awhile to find a fix so i can actually enjoy the game :)

You do not have to find it, you add it in yourself. Just put it in the AA bit field for Metal Gear Rising

I'm trying to get the resolution fix enabled but i can't seem to get it working. I also cannot find the 0x084012C1 in AA compat.

you just paste it in to the field, then do the usual selecting of SSAA options. (if you're not used to it refer to this post http://www.overclock.net/t/1250100/nvidia-sparse-grid-supersampling )

the fix goes into the same directory that your game's executable is in, then you launch the fix not the game's exe.

Naedtrax

Banned
Thank you so much for the help guys, just got it working!

I had to run the fix as admin otherwise it wouldn't do anything :)

On another note, i see the picture is a bit "blurry", is there anyway to sharpen it without introducing aliasing too much?

tauke

On another note, i see the picture is a bit "blurry", is there anyway to sharpen it without introducing aliasing too much?

You need to play around with the LOD Bias. Try negative value although I can't remember the best settings as it depends on the amount of AA you apply.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You need to play around with the LOD Bias. Try negative value although I can't remember the best settings as it depends on the amount of AA you apply.

I believe if memory servces that a good method is that with every increment, decrease by 0.5.

So
1x = 0
2x = -0.5
4x = -1.0
etc etc

BONKERS

Just use some light sharpening (And I mean light. People over sharpen far too often). Negative LoD bias is just going to create more shimmering.

IMO there isn't any need to begin with. But sharpening is the better option if it's an issue for you.

Top Bottom