• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gentlemen of GAF, teach me about shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasshole

Banned
Maybe for millennials. Traditionally business casual has been no blazer and/or tie.

I think this may be a cultural thing too. I live in Europe, if I'm not a millenial I'm pretty close (definitions vary), and I agree with what you said so far.

Only one exception: A really nice pair of jeans is accepted.

I'd love to buy a pair, but they only go up to size 14.
I'm in the same boat. I have a European 49½, and to give an idea how difficult it is to find shoes, I can't even find how much that is on a UK or US size comparison chart. Shopping for shoes usually took a whole afternoon, and only netted me a tiny, yet expensive selection to choose from. It's especially difficult because all the usual shoe-fitting problems are multiplied if you have urangutan feet. If you have long feet that aren't especially wide, the few choices that work length-wise usually are difficult in width.

Thank god for online shopping. I've never had as much choice as I do now.

Disregard the USA tie.
YTqaUMo.gif

oxfords, not brogues
I can't believe it took so long for this to come up. Also the number of people posting a picture of brogues and saying 'I have these oxfords' is really upsetting.

Sabre

Whatevery you do, do not buy those black awful things as suggested by some in this thread (like MaschinenZimmer). Yes, you will have a versatile shoe but it’s going to look ugly with everything. Buy one of the classic style of men’s leather shoes in brown color and you will be thankful in the future. Here are some suggestions:

For formal, the number one choice is oxford. This is what you wear with a suit. This is the only place where black might be useful, as its preferred in some conservative work environments and it can work with dark colored suits. Note that the “flap” of the shoe is inside the shoe, that is what differentiates an oxford from a derby:

Oxford-Shoe.jpg

For semi-formal / business casual, you have broad range of good options. This style can also cover anything from jeans+shirt to dress pants+jacket+pocket square. Here are some options from more formal to less formal:

Monkstraps/double monkstraps (defined by the straps, like the name says):

xCPCRtwiQcutpnn81zTfVPV3_400.jpg

Brogues/longwings/semi-brogues (defined by the pattern of punchings):

arthur-3-dark-leaf-cheaney.jpg

Derbies (note the different design compared to oxfords, this makes them more casual):

heutchy-derby-shoes-01.jpg

Here’s a good oxford vs. derby comparison: http://www.loake.co.uk/blog/?p=559

Lastly, chukkas have been suggested already. They’re a good choice, but also the most casual out of all of these. Desert boots belong in this category.

stemar_firenze_suede_chukka_boots_rust.png

For color, BUY BROWN! For business casual style it’s by far the best choice, as they are more versatile and stylish. IMO dark brown leather is the most versatile color you can have. Light and medium brown have more flash but that makes them also a bit less versatile IMO. For example with light brown shoes and dark pants the contrast is a bit too much.

For material, suede is generally more casual than full grain or top grain leather, but either can work for business casual. For soles, leather soles are the classic style but I personally prefer to buy rubber because the weather conditions here (Finland) make leather soles quite impractical and hazardous. But quality rubber soles are quite thick, and thus for some sleeker models they can be hard to find.

Lastly, buy good quality shoes and they will last you for much longer and they will also be much more comfortable for you to wear. I’m not sure what is a good value –brand in the US, but here in Europe my number one choice for decent shoes for relatively cheap is Bexley. But their shoes are still around 140€.

I would rather just cut my feet off and roll up in a wheel chair then wear the shoes in the post above me. If i need leather shoes, i just polish my hiking boots.

Glasshole

Banned
Whatevery you do, do not buy those black awful things as suggested by some in this thread (like MaschinenZimmer). Yes, you will have a versatile shoe but it’s going to look ugly with everything. Buy one of the classic style of men’s leather shoes in brown color and you will be thankful in the future. Here are some suggestions:

For formal, the number one choice is oxford. This is what you wear with a suit. This is the only place where black might be useful, as its preferred in some conservative work environments and it can work with dark colored suits. Note that the “flap” of the shoe is inside the shoe, that is what differentiates an oxford from a derby:

Oxford-Shoe.jpg

For semi-formal / business casual, you have broad range of good options. This style can also cover anything from jeans+shirt to dress pants+jacket+pocket square. Here are some options from more formal to less formal:

Monkstraps/double monkstraps (defined by the straps, like the name says):

xCPCRtwiQcutpnn81zTfVPV3_400.jpg

Brogues/longwings/semi-brogues (defined by the pattern of punchings):

arthur-3-dark-leaf-cheaney.jpg

Derbies (note the different design compared to oxfords, this makes them more casual):

heutchy-derby-shoes-01.jpg

Here’s a good oxford vs. derby comparison: http://www.loake.co.uk/blog/?p=559

Lastly, chukkas have been suggested already. They’re a good choice, but also the most casual out of all of these. Desert boots belong in this category.

stemar_firenze_suede_chukka_boots_rust.png

For color, BUY BROWN! For business casual style it’s by far the best choice, as they are more versatile and stylish. IMO dark brown leather is the most versatile color you can have. Light and medium brown have more flash but that makes them also a bit less versatile IMO. For example with light brown shoes and dark pants the contrast is a bit too much.

For material, suede is generally more casual than full grain or top grain leather, but either can work for business casual. For soles, leather soles are the classic style but I personally prefer to buy rubber because the weather conditions here (Finland) make leather soles quite impractical and hazardous. But quality rubber soles are quite thick, and thus for some sleeker models they can be hard to find.

Lastly, buy good quality shoes and they will last you for much longer and they will also be much more comfortable for you to wear. I’m not sure what is a good value –brand in the US, but here in Europe my number one choice for decent shoes for relatively cheap is Bexley. But their shoes are still around 140€.

giphy.gif

Edit: I just saw the Loake link in the post, and since I started this earlier: The aforementioned english shoes I have are Loake. I just remembered.

Double Monks

/thread.

Also op don't wear black. Black is for a funeral. Dark brown is the way to go.

If you don't mind spending a bit of money then get dark brown Seymour 2 monks from Crockett and Jones.

They really are the only shoe you will ever need if you only want one.

Glasshole

Banned
Double Monks

/thread.

Also op don't wear black. Black is for a funeral. Dark brown is the way to go.

If you don't mind spending a bit of money then get dark brown Seymour 2 monks from Crockett and Jones.

They really are the only shoe you will ever need if you only want one.

Funerals and Business. Not a great casual look though, yeah.

For my personal taste, Monks are a bit too dressy. Still like the look though.

massoluk

Banned
I have three pairs of shoes in my whole house. I buy a new one when I totally ruin a pair :p. Totally not how one should do it. A flip-flop, a sneaker, and a leather business shoes.

“An average man might have three pairs of boots. Your third best pair of boots, those are the boots you wear when you’re working at something unpleasant. They might rub after a few paces, and they might have a few holes, but they’re good enough to keep your footing. You don’t mind mucking them up in the fields or the barn.”

“Then you have your second best pair of boots. Those are your day-to-day boots. You wear those if you are going over to dinner at the neighbors. Or, in my case, you wear those if you’re going to battle. They’re nice boots, give you good footing, and you don’t mind being seen in them or anything.”

“We’re not going to any balls. But if we had to, I suspect we’d wear our second best pair of boots. If they’re good enough for visiting old lady Hembrew next door, then they’re bloody well good enough for stepping on the toes of any woman fool enough to dance with us.”

“Then what are the best boots for? Walking. Any farmer knows the value of good boots when you go walking a distance.”
~The Wisdom of Matrim Cauthon

This is just my random fashion opinion so take it as such. I generally err on the conservative side. I don't have decades of experience in corporate culture or anything like that. That said, I would suggest...

Get a black and a darker brown pair of oxfords of different styles. No square toe madness. Be somewhat conservative with decoration/frills on the browns but very conservative on the blacks. You can then wear the black to more formal affairs and the browns to less formal ones. Boots are nowhere near business casual if you ask me, and loafer/moccasin looking shoes are just as bad. Have a decent belt that goes with each and you can wear most shades of gray/brown/black pants as long as they contrast a bit with the shoes.

And of course, make sure they're comfortable first and foremost. Fair warning, comfort and style may be more expensive than you think, but don't go crazy either. If you're looking at a weeks pay for your shoes, you should probably reassess. Good luck!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i only wear Allen Edmonds Park Avenues and various Aldens (indy boot, cordovan brogues, etc)

anything less seems useless

edit: in fact, i just bought a beautiful pair of chromexcel indy boots w/ commando sole in preparation for a harsh nyc winter coming

i love the shape of my Park Aves, plus a bonus pair of 405 indys in the background:

Paging Horse Detective

This man knows so much about men's fashion and clothing he could damn near write a book on it. Every time we go into a store, its like I'm in class learning at a museum. He'll throw some knowledge your way. (when he wakes up)

Shadownet

Banned
Damn I woke up and someone got banned. People take their shoes seriously.

Thanks for the inputs guys, I'll go to a DSW and see what they have there today.

andycapps

Maybe for millennials. Traditionally business casual has been no blazer and/or tie.

This is true. At the major corporation I work at, business casual is defined in HR polices as dress pants, collared shirt, and dress shoes. OP should err on the side of being overdressed, rather than showing up wearing jeans when everyone else is wearing khakis.

As far as shoes, I recommend some black wingtips.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I read this thread and now I'm switching to flip-flops.

I've been looking for a new pair of shoes before the winter hits. Might pick up some desert boots.

where do you live? desert boots are named such bc the suede and thin lining are more appropriate for the summer than winter

one time i saved a bunch of money by buying some gently used allen edmonds off ebay

my dude

one time i saved a bunch of money by buying some gently used allen edmonds off ebay

Even better is to get brand new "seconds" from the shoe bank. They have minor imperfections (sloppy welt finishing, a scuff, etc.) that prevent Allen Edmonds from selling them in stores, but you can get them with huge discounts. You can also return them.

www.shoebank.com

StMeph

Not really. Business casual is no jacket, maybe no tie.

Totally agree with this.

business casual is a broad range, I'd say jeans and suede boots puts it in business casual, even with a tie and blazer. it certainly isn't business 'formal'.

Jeans automatically go into casual, and I would certainly never risk it for a first social/meeting with a firm or company whose culture you're not 100% confident about. It only becomes "business casual" on subsequent events if they explicitly say "business casual" AND a significant amount of people (including senior positions) show up in jeans.

People seem to overly focus on the casual part of business casual. It's in no way casual. It just dresses down formal/business attire by not mandating a jacket or tie.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
where do you live? desert boots are named such bc the suede and thin lining are more appropriate for the summer than winter

Oh good point. They looked like they'd be warm enough for me (I prefer colder weather), but I'm not sure how the snow would treat them. I live in VA, so the winter can be pretty shit.

I was looking at this pair.

Brandson

After studying dress shoes for a while and trying many different options, I concluded that most men's dress shoes are way too inflexible, heavy, hot, and uncomfortable (too little space in the toe area, too high of a heel, etc.). Finding a dress shoe that doesn't have any of these problems, while still looking like a dress shoe is very difficult. Even expensive brands like Crockett and Jones have all of these problems, despite looking really nice. I ultimately stumbled on Paul Smith Clapton shoes, which have a very comfortable, low, rubber sole, plenty of room for my wide feet (while still looking elegant) and look great with dress pants, suits, or jeans. They immediately upgrade any outfit you're wearing. Over the years they have come out with different variations, which I try to get at a discount on Ebay. As an associate in a law firm, I've had partners coming by to ask me about them because they hate their own shoes too.

I've always thought the thick, chunky soles on these stood out in business or dress environments.
yeah I wouldn't wear docs with a suit unless you're cultivating a particular look. dainite soled oxfords/derbies are about as chunky as I would recommend.

I was more interested in a leather pair.
ah. i've never worn crepe soles in the ice/rain so I don't know how well they hold up or resist slips.

Totally agree with this.

Jeans automatically go into casual, and I would certainly never risk it for a first social/meeting with a firm or company whose culture you're not 100% confident about. It only becomes "business casual" on subsequent events if they explicitly say "business casual" AND a significant amount of people (including senior positions) show up in jeans.

People seem to overly focus on the casual part of business casual. It's in no way casual. It just dresses down formal/business attire by not mandating a jacket or tie.
oh, misunderstanding from last night.... though I don't like business casual for the reason that dudes just wear slacks and shirts without a jacket and well... it looks weird.

also re: jeans, we get special 'jeans days' at work, which is supposed to be a huge favor but we still have to wear traditional business casual garments with them. same with our 'seahawks' days. nothing more goobery than wearing a jersey with dress slacks (so I don't).

Cagey

Banned
A pair of brown cap toe oxfords also work with it, if you want something a little dressier. I have a pair of these and it's just so versatile with what you can match it with.

allen-edmounds-mens-strand-cap-toe-oxford-dress-shoes.jpg

Came to post this exact shoe. Wearing my Allen Edmonds walnut Strands right now at the office. Wonderful and versatile shoe.

I've grown up wearing sneakers and skate shoes, a pair of flip flop here and there. But something important is coming up and I want to dress appropriately. (I have a pair of dress shoes for wedding, church, etc) but I need something more business casual.

I'll be meeting some people, and going to a really nice place for dinner.

Preferably black in color, cause black goes with a lot of stuff. It's not a suit and tie event.

Edit: if you guys can post an example with a name, it would be pretty helpful.

I heard of this thing called chukka boots that looks pretty business casual.
I got some great stuff in NYC and London recently.

Work shoes/dress shoes : Tods loafers
Semi casual : lanvins with laces
Semi casual : Valentino loafers.

Amazing shoes and they look really classy.
9uggba3.jpg

OikBIWY.jpg

fcPeVEp.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I've always thought the thick, chunky soles on these stood out in business or dress environments.

I've been wearing them with suits for about 20 years now, never had a problem with this. Admittedly, it might depend on overall size of the wearer, though.

I've grown up wearing sneakers and skate shoes, a pair of flip flop here and there. But something important is coming up and I want to dress appropriately. (I have a pair of dress shoes for wedding, church, etc) but I need something more business casual.

I'll be meeting some people, and going to a really nice place for dinner.

Preferably black in color, cause black goes with a lot of stuff. It's not a suit and tie event.

The #1 misconception of men who start caring about fashion/how they look is thinking black goes with everything. They want a black suit, and they want black shoes. Unless you're going to a funeral, a wedding, or perhaps you're a waitor at a fancy restaurant, you don't want this.

Brown dress shoes. They will go together with a lot more outfits, at a larger variety of casual and formal events.

I'm sure everybody has told you to go invest in an expensive pair of Allen Eldmonds, and that's fine. They're not wrong. But maybe you're not a shoe snob and you just want something good.

I read you're interested in checking out DSW. I would recommend the Mercanti Fiorentini Wingtip Oxford. Mercanti Fiorentini is their "upscale" line; think Nordstrom compared to Macy's, or Banana Republic compared to GAP. This shoe in particular is a tan/brown leather Oxford brogue, made in Italy, shaped just between the chisel toe and the square one. The wingtip and not overly sleek silhouette means they won't look out of place with your dark wish denim, canvas pants, wool trousers, or a decent pair of slacks. A handsome versatlity that only set you back $150. With the proper care, a pair can last you for years.

Shadownet

Banned

Any of these look good to you guys?

I read you're interested in checking out DSW. I would recommend the Mercanti Fiorentini Wingtip Oxford. Mercanti Fiorentini is their "upscale" line; think Nordstrom compared to Macy's, or Banana Republic compared to GAP. This shoe in particular is a tan/brown leather Oxford brogue, made in Italy, shaped just between the chisel toe and the square one. The wingtip and not overly sleek silhouette means they won't look out of place with your dark wish denim, canvas pants, wool trousers, or a decent pair of slacks. A handsome versatlity that only set you back $150. With the proper care, a pair can last you for years.
There's a DSW near me, if I can't find anything I like there, I would have to drive a bit further and go to Macy's in the mall.

As much as I want to spend $150 on shoes. It's out of my student's budget right now. I'm planning on only spending $40 - 60 ish max.

Some good suggestions in this thread.

I also agree that #1 is your best bet. #2 looks a bit too chunky, and #3 is just out there.

I have a pair of Oxfords for formal wear, a pair of steel toed boots for work, and a pair of sketchers / converse / whatever sneaker I prefer at the moment for casual wear.

Although I have to rep my fave kicks, Royal Elastics:

http://www.royalelastics.com/products/duke-05253-984?variant=4369110468

05253-984-1_1024x1024.JPG

http://www.royalelastics.com/products/duke-05551-555?variant=4143630468

05551-555-8_1024x1024.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom