• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gentlemen of GAF, teach me about shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
You wouldn't know irony if it punched you in the face, because "OP I googled this for you" wasn't enough of a hint. I will say though that I was pleasantly surprised with the result.
Why did I post the google link? Because finding casual shoes is really, really not that hard imo.

But you keep doing you. I'll draw my inspiration from somewhere else than the silver screen. Boy will you miss out if you fixate on Tom Ford suits.

My goodness, of course you can get ideas from movies. Frankly, this comment is ridiculous:

I don't get my fashion tips from movies LOL

Do you get it from anywhere besides google? So far the power of suggestion is working against you.

op just buy these do you want to make an impression or not?????????

tumblr_inline_mh0f4yuC1g1qazixt.jpg

Glasshole

Banned
My goodness, of course you can get ideas from movies. Frankly, this comment is ridiculous:

Do you get it from anywhere besides google? So far the power of suggestion is working against you.

The power of idiocy is on your side though. In order to repost your edit as quickly as possible, you forgot to answer to my first citation.

I'll spell it out for you, just to be safe: I don't google my style.

Still not sure you got it though. But just like you fixate on boots worn by Bond, I blame it on your horizon.

op just buy these do you want to make an impression or not?????????

Please post some 4000 USD sweater that was made into a shoe.

Lesath

My impression is that black is an incredibly formal leather shoe color if you're going for a business casual look. Go for brown. I've got a pair of brown oxfords I use for job interviews and for any occasion that requires a navy suit.

AE-kenilworth.jpg

...I usually wear my cheapo ugly comfy shoes though. They're not as flattering.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The power of idiocy is on your side though. In order to repost your edit as quickly as possible, you forgot to answer to my first citation.

Still not sure you got it though. But just like you fixate on boots worn by Bond, I blame it on your horizon.

Jesus Christ...we get it. Now it would probably be more helpful if you post actual shoes that you would suggest and not just some random Google search.

Glasshole

Banned
My impression is that black is an incredibly formal leather shoe color if you're going for a business casual look. Go for brown. I've got a pair of brown oxfords I use for job interviews and for any occasion that requires a navy suit.

AE-kenilworth.jpg

...I usually wear my cheapo ugly comfy shoes though. They're not as flattering.

These are a good choice.

Maybe I'd choose the colour burgundy though:
c__data_users_defapps6qjhg.jpg

DOWN

Banned

I read your post and it said nothing new, and you aren't contributing substantial advice to OP or in countering other's opinions. A google search, saying you don't know what shoes are called, saying you think James Bond has good suits and that's it, and saying OP should try on comfy shoes. Frankly, Bond is considered one of the best examples of male dress and I'd love for you to dispute that and explain what's so ridiculous about using the example, which only came up more than once when you failed in attempting to dismiss that he has exceptional clothing outside of suiting.

EDIT: Rockport. All I needed to know.

Quick

Banned
Also, black or dark brown? I don't think I've ever own a pair of brown shoes before. How well do they go with attire?

I'll probably be dressing like this (black instead of cream color pants) + a coat cause its cold as heck right now.
Business-Casual.jpg

What this guy has on isn't bad. I like the style of the shoes.

If this is the outfit you're looking to closely resemble, a pair of Clarks desert boots/Bushacres in leather beeswax definitely match up. Same with the Clarks desert boots in black suede.

A pair of brown cap toe oxfords also work with it, if you want something a little dressier. I have a pair of these and it's just so versatile with what you can match it with.

allen-edmounds-mens-strand-cap-toe-oxford-dress-shoes.jpg

Glasshole

Banned
I read your post and it said nothing new, and you aren't contributing substantial advice to OP or in countering other's opinions. A google search, saying you don't know what shoes are called, saying you think James Bond has good suits and that's it, and saying OP should try on comfy shoes. Frankly, Bond is considered one of the best examples of male dress and I'd love for you to dispute that and explain what's so ridiculous about using the example, which only came up more than once when you failed in attempting to dismiss that he has exceptional clothing outside of suiting.

EDIT: Rockport. All I needed to know.

Because I don't copy someone else's style, kid.

Regarding "Rockport", I don't know this brand. I'm on my cellphone, I'm looking for visual aids, not for a specific model.

Frankly, I won't even start to dispute that for several reasons, one being that Bond is one of the highest values for product placement (which does not speak for quality rather than marketing budget), and the other being you having a complete meltdown.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Regarding "Rockport", I don't know this brand. I'm on my cellphone, I'm looking for visual aods, not for a specific model.

I would love to see your style that doesn't copy something.

DOWN

Banned

Regarding "Rockport", I don't know this brand. I'm on my cellphone, I'm looking for visual aods, not for a specific model.

You are buying and recommending commercially available styles and saying you don't copy? You dress like Jayden Smith or what? Don't pretend you developed a parallel style in a vacuum. You got it from examples and inspirations you've seen. Clearly not the best examples, but examples nonetheless.

leroidys

Depends on the business I guess, but unless he is working on Wall Street, those boots are pretty business casual.

I mean look at this kid:

That is the definition of business casual.

Those are a well worn pair, not brand new.

Not really. Business casual is no jacket, maybe no tie.

Quick

Banned
I'm with DOWN. Movies are great inspiration for fashion. James Bond being one of the best inspirations out there.

And it's not like you need to buy every expensive piece of clothing to match.

Glasshole

Banned
I would love to see your style that doesn't copy something.

At the very least I don't copy one specific outfit.

You are buying and recommending commercially available styles and saying you don't copy? You dress like Jayden Smith or what? Don't pretend you developed a parallel style in a vacuum. You got it from examples and inspirations you've seen. Clearly not the best examples, but examples nonetheless.

Are you done now? Calmed down a bit?

If you really care so much, I buy tailored and mass produced shirts and suits, I own about 50 ties (and some bow ties), and shoes made in England. I forgot the name of the brand because fuck me if I care.

In case of tailored wear, I choose fabric, colour and style.

Am I priviledged? Not specifically. I don't even have a monthly shopping budget, and I don't buy shit I know I'll just wear for a year max. Some of my suits are close to 10 years old.

Lesath

Oh, and I dunno if they changed this, but I think the Clark's desert boots don't come in wide. I sized up but they were still uncomfortable. Just FYI, OP, since that seems to be the prevailing opinion atm.

DOWN

Banned

Regarding "Rockport", I don't know this brand. I'm on my cellphone, I'm looking for visual aids, not for a specific model.

Frankly, I won't even start to dispute that for several reasons, one being that Bond is one of the highest values for product placement (which does not speak for quality rather than marketing budget), and the other being you having a complete meltdown.
That's why you dismiss Bond's style? Ok at the meltdown excuse. I'm here and saying precisely what I mean to while you flounder without anything but your clueless Rockport image to back you up. Are we supposed to trust you more because you posted the Rockports, or because you claim you don't know what they are once we pointed it out?

Quick

Banned

If you really care so much, I buy tailored and mass produced shirts and suits, I own about 50 ties (and some bow ties), and shoes made in England. I forgot the name of the brand because fuck me if I care.

giphy.gif

Glasshole

Banned
That's why you dismiss Bond's style? Ok at the meltdown excuse. I'm here and saying precisely what I mean to while you flounder without anything but your clueless Rockport image to back you up. Are we supposed to trust you more because you posted the Rockports, or because you claim you don't know what they are once we pointed it out?

The parents of Down are asked to get him from the ballpit, he's having a tantrum again.

I specifically pointed put I'd get dress shoes in burgundy. I don't know this brand because I'm not in NA, and I don't care. If you get a stroke from a picture I fished off the internet, then that's you I guess.

And you never pointed out "what they are" btw. But great detective work, Sherlock.

DOWN

Banned

Nobody needs to copy one outfit. He has good shoes, his looks are a great example of traditional western men's style, and that's totally fair inspiration. I'm not surprised to see you backing off your claims of inventiveness so soon. You buy clothes that anybody else looking for common men's styling would buy and you do so based on them looking like traditional clothes that you've been shown, but it's not surprising that your dismissiveness was backed by nothing but ignorance.

Know better than to assume from text that someone is anything but calmer than you when you alone are the one who spent post after post drawing multiple posters to question your credibility on this subject.

DOWN

Banned
The parents of Down are asked to get him from the ballpit, he's having a tantrum again.

I specifically pointed put I'd get dress shoes in burgundy. I don't know this brand because I'm not in NA, and I don't care. If you get a stroke from a picture I fished off the internet, then that's you I guess.

And you never pointed out "what they are" btw. But great detective work, Sherlock.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding in reading comprehension. What's childish here is your insistence on using petty name-calling and insults. Nobody is having a tantrum or playing Sherlock.

And yes, we did point out that you posted Rockports. Your lapse in reading is to blame here most likely, as I didn't claim we described them for you.

Quick

Banned
Back on topic.

Chukkas/desert boots/Bushacres are very versatile, and it definitely wouldn't hurt to own a pair.

I transitioned away from wearing Chucks regularly to wearing Clarks and other sneaker styles. It's a nice entry level way to get more into diversifying your footwear.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Are we gonna fuss and fight or are we gonna talk about shoes.

lolmark

If you want something that's easy to wear with everything, you can't go wrong with a pair desert boots. My only issue with the crepe soles on these is that they can get dirty quick.

If you're lazy and need something quick, then pick up whatever these guys recommend. But I think you should take some time and go to a shoe store and try some stuff on. You'll get a better feel for comfort, leather quality and construction that way.

Glasshole

Banned
Nobody needs to copy one outfit. He has good shoes, his looks are a great example of traditional western men's style, and that's totally fair inspiration. I'm not surprised to see you backing off your claims of inventiveness so soon. You buy clothes that anybody else looking for common men's styling would buy and you do so based on them looking like traditional clothes that you've been shown, but it's not surprising that your dismissiveness was backed by nothing but ignorance.

Know better than to assume from text that someone is anything but calmer than you when you alone are the one who spent post after post drawing multiple posters to question your credibility on this subject.

Are we living in a parallel universe now where this all happened?

"You buy clothes that anybody else looking for common men's styling would buy and you do so based on them looking like traditional clothes that you've been shown, but it's not surprising that your dismissiveness was backed by nothing but ignorance." This part gets me the most. If I ever need a psychotherapist, I'll give you a ring.

Your attitude towards DOWN is more childish than anything he has typed.

If it's childish to point out idiocy when I see it, I'll accept that. Like that ingenius first post.

I only ever buy Churches shoes. Hand made in England. Cost about £350 but the pair am wearing I have had for 8 years now. I replace the sole once a year (I go for the rubber one as I burn through leather) and they are like an old friend.

Have 3 pairs, black brogues for work. Chestnut brogues for out of work dinners and a pair of desert boots.

All from churches and all of them have had for over 5 years with the work shoes over 8.

images

images

images

images

Quick

Banned
Frankly, though, I don't care what a gaffer thinks about my wardrobe.

lol ok

You just spent time to argue with DOWN about style, and when you got called out for acting like an Asshole, you switch to being an elitist asshole, and started defending yourself by describing your wardrobe. And you made sure to mention how they're tailored and then posted a picture of your tie collection.

Because you don't care. lol

The parents of Glasshole are asked to get him from the ballpit, he's acting like a doucbebag.

But I think you should take some time and go to a shoe store and try some stuff on. You'll get a better feel for comfort, leather quality and construction that way.

100% this. And to add, try to wear something similar to what you're looking to pair shoes with. When you try various pairs of shoes, you'll find ones that better match.

BSherrod

I can definitely agree with the Bushacre recommendation. The crepe sole on DB's look great, but the harder sole holds up better.

Glasshole

Banned
I only ever buy Churches shoes. Hand made in England. Cost about £350 but the pair am wearing I have had for 8 years now. I replace the sole once a year (I go for the rubber one as I burn through leather) and they are like an old friend.

Have 3 pairs, black brogues for work. Chestnut brogues for out of work dinners and a pair of desert boots.

All from churches and all of them have had for over 5 years with the work shoes over 8.

I know the feeling. About 1/3 of my shoes has a leather sole. I love the feeling of it, but then again I'm not sure it's worth 1.) burning through it 2.) the danger of face plants when it rains. I'm waiting for the moment I'll break my neck because of a wet metal ground.

lol ok

You just spent time to argue with DOWN about style, and when you got called out for acting like an Asshole, you switch to being an elitist asshole, and started defending yourself by describing your wardrobe. And you made sure to mention how they're tailored and then posted a picture of your tie collection.

Because you don't care. lol

Yes. I don't care about what you think, I cared about how wrong you are and telling you. Sometimes, you gotta make sure people know they're wrong :)

You were wrong btw.

I assume your are still fairly young. Just buy a pair of plain black shoes. Keep them in good shape and you have a nice pair for pretty much every formal event in the future (like for example a job interview).

I'm not sure how much you are willing to spend, but personally I can recommend these:

IMG_2165-lg.jpg

https://salamandershoes.com/Sioux-M...Sioux-Matthew-black-leather-walking-shoe.html

Very comfortable and quite robust. Also, just because James Bond looks good in something doesn't mean that YOU look good in it too.

I know the feeling. About 1/3 of my shoes has a leather sole. I love the feeling of it, but then again I'm not sure it's worth 1.) burning through it 2.) the danger of face plants when it rains. I'm waiting for the moment I'll break my neck because of a wet metal ground.

Leather is fine if you leave shoes in the office or have several pairs.

I use my browns when the blacks are in for a resole and check up (I send them back to churches to keep the workmanship warranty)

Glasshole

Banned
I assume your are still fairly young. Just buy a pair of plain black shoes. Keep them in good shape and you have a nice pair for pretty much every formal event in the future (like for example a job interview).

I'm not sure how much you are willing to spend, but personally I can recommend, these:

IMG_2165-lg.jpg

https://salamandershoes.com/Sioux-M...Sioux-Matthew-black-leather-walking-shoe.html

Very comfortable and quite robust. Also, just because James Bond looks good in something doesn't mean that YOU look good in it too.

As described in OP, he already has blacl formal leather shoes.

Agree with the james bond thing tho.

Leather is fine if you leave shoes in the office or have several pairs.

I use my browns when the blacks are in for a resole and check up (I send them back to churches to keep the workmanship warranty)

Several pairs. I swear like an irishman though if it rains. Every damn time.

Glasshole

Banned
Fuck me, you are right. My fault, I read it too fast and thought he was playing with the idea to buy black shoes. Ignore my recommendation then, OP.

You can still post some recommendations though. Except if they're made by a specific north american company. And if they're not desert boots that at one point where featured in a Metro Goldwyn Mayer production.

udiie

man fuck off with the salt ass posts
you act like a goddamn petty person for someone who doesnt give a shit about what people think

Glasshole

Banned
man fuck off with the salt ass posts
you act like a goddamn petty person for someone who doesnt give a shit about what people think

Eh, at least I don't swear at other people.

If it's salty to tell people on high horses they're being idiotic, I'll gladly be salty

He never said to copy the whole outfit. He said take inspiration from Bond outfits.

I much prefer dark brown for business casual. Just copy what James Bond wears in Quantum of Solace's casual scenes.

udiie

good on you. must be real proud
oooh so idiotic, emulating another persons style
hold on ill let you get back to sewing your own clothes

Glasshole

Banned
good on you. must be real proud
oooh so idiotic, emulating another persons style
hold on ill let you get back to sewing your own clothes

Bad on you if you're that easily offended.

I'll write it in a language you understand:

If you behave like a fashion authority, commenting on mothafuckin legit shoes with the fukkin comment "absolutely not" and THEN tell them to copy a style of a mothafuckin mainstream movie, THEN tell your boyfriend to cover your ass about "never having said anything" about copying the whole style, you get called the fuck out where I come from bruh

lolmark

OP, I think you just gotta go to a department store and try on some stuff. This is a good reference on dress shoe styles:

Dress shoes can be pretty uncomfortable if you're working an 8 hour day, so you gotta find something with decent flexibility, underfoot cushioning and straight up good fit. If you want something that'll last a long time, then you need to consider the quality of leather and construction. Hand feel is a pretty good judge for leather. The picture offers a couple of decent suggestions. Keep in mind that Chromexcel and Shell Cordovan are super nice but super expensive.

Man, this discussion is weird. Some of you guys are dicks.

Edit: Also, before I quit on this thread. Desert boots are pretty versatile. I'm not sure why people are bickering over it. If you wanna go casual, you can wear them with jeans. If you want a preppy look like our boy James Bond, then wear khakis or slacks. The fit of your clothing will help determine whether it's a good look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom