• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gentlemen of GAF, teach me about shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the business I guess, but unless he is working on Wall Street, those boots are pretty business casual.

I mean look at this kid:

That is the definition of business casual.
He looks great but his shoes don't look like they were worn by Spanky from The Little Rascals

Woffls

My main two pairs of shoes have been Church's and Barkers for the last 3 years or so, and they're both exceptionally well made. The Barkers are incredibly sturdy, but not as comfortable for doing a lot of walking. Probably worth getting some insoles.

The Church's are a pair of Lancasters and have been through fields and forest but still brush up nicely for work and going out. They're brown so the scratches are visible, but it's not like I'm going to wear brown shoes to impress anyone.

You should go and try on whatever shoes you are considering, because some will simply not be comfortable - either due to differences in sizing, or foot shape. Can you just order both and keep one pair at the store or something?

Shadownet

Banned
My main two pairs of shoes have been Church's and Barkers for the last 3 years or so, and they're both exceptionally well made. The Barkers are incredibly sturdy, but not as comfortable for doing a lot of walking. Probably worth getting some insoles.

The Church's are a pair of Lancasters and have been through fields and forest but still brush up nicely for work and going out. They're brown so the scratches are visible, but it's not like I'm going to wear brown shoes to impress anyone.

You should go and try on whatever shoes you are considering, because some will simply not be comfortable - either due to differences in sizing, or foot shape. Can you just order both and keep one pair at the store or something?

I was at the store (will go back there later, had to leave to go take my exam.) I wore both of them. The 2nd one was more comfortable, so thats why I was leaning toward that.

Shadownet

Banned
edit: oh you edited extra info into the OP. well, what kind of restaurant is this? most people don't 'dress up' on the job outside of specific work functions so I'd probably stick with a simple suede clark or whatever. just, uh, keep them clean. dirty beat up clarks have their place but not what you're describing.

I'm taking someone on a date after the event. To here.

I asked before but is there any way to prevent cracks on your leather shoes?

Jonm1010

Banned
Lots of god advice(and a lot of bad advice too haha)

For people that are looking for some casual shoes/boots that work with jeans but can be dressed up in a business casual way but aren't ready to take the plunge and get some Allen Edmonds, Loakes or other premium shoes(and already have some dessert boots), I can't recommend the Stafford line of shoes enough. In particular the Deacon:

One of my favorite blogs regularly praises them and for good reason. The below is the boot but they also carry a standard wingtip version, a black boot and a brown cap toe boot.

Deacon-2015-header.jpg

http://dappered.com/2015/08/the-jc-penney-stafford-deacon-wingtip-boot-is-back/

http://www.jcpenney.com/shoes/shop-...tId=dept20000018&navId=gkqrnnZ7i&onClick=true
Suede is also a nice bridge style and decent suede can usually be found at a good price compared to leather.

udiie

If they start to develop, using a wax will generally mend them pretty nicely. Or you can be proactive and use it before wearing them
Something like nikwax, mink oil, idk
Someone else chime in here

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i wear black at night weddings

everything else you wear earthtones to

khakis, brown shoes, navy blazer, etc

Quick

Banned
Solid shoe choices, OP. Can't go wrong with either styles, so go with what's most comfortable.

If they start to develop, using a wax will generally mend them pretty nicely. Or you can be proactive and use it before wearing them
Something like nikwax, mink oil, idk
Someone else chime in here

I personally use Renapur leather balsam. I applied it to all my leather shoes before first use, and every once in a while to keep them looking nice. Gives my cap toe oxford and my black derbys a nice shine, too.

img56395439.jpg

All you need is a rag or a sponge (as seen in the picutre), and just wipe your shoes down. It may make your shoes darker. My beeswax leather bushacres went from a lighter brown (beeswax!) to more of a chocolate immediately. My cork Red Wing Iron Rangers also got a bit darker, nicer shade of brown.

Shadownet

Banned
Had a gentleman complimented on my choice as well (for my budget anyway) he told me he prefers the brown one so I'll go with that. Now just gotta pick the right brown belt to go with it.

chifanpoe

I have a few several pairs of Allen Edmonds and Cole Haan Oxford/WingTips in black, gray, dark blue, dark brown colors and they are all very well build shoes and have lasted for a while with minimal upkeep. Shoes range from $400-250 a pair. I work a the Federal Reserve Bank, which they deem a "business casual" environment.

These are my favorite pair: Neumok

christ what size feet do you have?

Size 15.

It makes buying nice shoes or boots almost impossible.

I'm in the same boat. I have a European 49½, and to give an idea how difficult it is to find shoes, I can't even find how much that is on a UK or US size comparison chart. Shopping for shoes usually took a whole afternoon, and only netted me a tiny, yet expensive selection to choose from. It's especially difficult because all the usual shoe-fitting problems are multiplied if you have urangutan feet. If you have long feet that aren't especially wide, the few choices that work length-wise usually are difficult in width.

Thank god for online shopping. I've never had as much choice as I do now.

What are your go-to sites?

They are literally deliberately designed to look like bindle-carrying hobo shoes.

I thought they were a prop from Mad Max: Fury Road. I'm assuming that the person suggesting them is a) joking or b) is only pretending to know what "business casual" means because no one else is acting confused.

Demise

Wait mate, before you buy anything.

Before you buy high-top style of shoes - even chuuka boots - it's important for you to know that you have to be either 1m75 or above, OR be fit and have quite fitted clothes to go along with it. If that's not the case, avoid them and prefer some low-top shoes or else you will look like you have huge feet and that's not what you want.

Be also aware that there's to type of "real" shoes : Blake swift shoes and goodyear welted shoes, if you decide to put more than 300€/$ in them, always choose the goodyear ones.

*Goodyear is when the sole is sued by hand and with very complicated nodes, it's the perfect high-couture technique and ensure the shoes to lived for 10 years and some.
*Blake is just a sued sole and last 2 years at best if you wear them frequently.

English is not my first language so I may be a bit unprecise but here's an english article

http://www.primermagazine.com/2014/spend/understanding-shoe-construction-goodyear-welt-blake-stich-cementing

tl dr : always ask if it's a "cousu goodyear" or "cousu blake". If you are willing to put 300$ and more on a pair of shoes, never buy anything but goodyear welted.

At least you have a big... Right?

Do you usually have to get custom shoes?

Only the once. Cost upwards of £200 and it really wasn't worth it. They didn't feel particularly well made nor did they turn out to be very comfortable.

Now I just buy from a few US sites that offer my size, but a wider selection at not such exorbitant prices would be nice.

Shadownet

Banned
Put some oil or wax on that sucker for maximum shine and style on 'em.

A gif from my favorite movie too? nice.

Is there a correct way of putting these beauties on so you don't ruins them? Gotta learn to lace them properly too.

Lighting is pretty bad but the khaki is a cream color, does it work with the shoes? I have a browner khaki too.

The belt is lighter than the shoes, so I might have to go get a darker shade of brown.

Edit: I just tried on a nice pair of dark blue jeans, look better actually.

Is there a correct way of putting these beauties on so you don't ruins them? Gotta learn to lace them properly too.

Lighting is pretty bad but the khaki is a cream color, does it work with the shoes? I have a browner khaki too.

The belt is lighter than the shoes, so I might have to go get a darker shade of brown.

Just don't like shove your foot into them and ruin the heel or anything.

Khaki works, belt may be a bit off but really that's not a big deal. If it's a similar shade you should be good.

Blue jeans with those would work for a more laid back look, for sure.

You've got options now.

Shadownet

Banned
Loosen the laces and stick your foot in with a shoe horn?
I think I got one of those shoe horn around here somewhere.

Khaki works, belt may be a bit off but really that's not a big deal. If it's a similar shade you should be good.

Blue jeans with those would work for a more laid back look, for sure.

I should probably go out and buy some more khaki, usually which shade is good? I already have cream.

Light brown, dark brown or navy?

Quick

Banned
A gif from my favorite movie too? nice.

The shade of the khaki looks fine, but it looks like the pants are baggy - maybe you need to get it hemmed. Try folding the hem until you see less creasing and see if you like the look, then hem it you do like it.

As for lacing, go for a straight bar lace. That's how I did my laces on my oxfords. It looks great.

I should probably go out and buy some more khaki, usually which shade is good? I already have cream.

Any of those colours are good. I own a khaki brown, navy, and dark red chinos. The dark red chinos work great with the fall season.

Shadownet

Banned
khaki brown, navy, and dark red chinos. The dark red chinos work great with the fall season.

Yeah I thought the khaki i have is a little baggy too. I like blue so now might be a good time to go with blue khaki if I can find one. Which color shirt goes with blue khaki? White?

Quick

Banned
Yeah I thought the khaki i have is a little baggy too. I like blue so now might be a good time to go with blue khaki if I can find one. Which color shirt goes with blue khaki? White?

White works with plenty of outfits, so definitely yes.

With dark pants, lighter coloured tops are probably best. Right now, I'm wearing my navy chinos with a light blue shirt.

I think I got one of those shoe horn around here somewhere.

You're getting the hang of things!

I'd say those are good options.

A dark or brick red and/or a dark or light olive may also be good if you like some more color.

Pair that with a pair of dark and/or light blue jeans, and maybe a pair of black and/or navy dress slacks, and then you should be good to go pants wise.

That's basically my wardrobe, pants wise.
I then have 5 Tshirts, 4 Polos, 4 button downs, a suit, and various ties.

I rotate what colors of shirts I have based on how I'm feeling when I buy new clothes.

I also have a handful of gym shorts and casual Tshirts for the gym, running errands, or doing stuff around the house.

My button downs are white, black, blue, and light grey.
Polos are slate blue, purple, and brick red.
Tshirts are sea foam green, purple, charcoal, black, and sky blue.

With those options, I can basically mix and match any combo with sneakers or shoes for various levels of casual / formal attire.

But what colors are kind of up to what you like, what works well with your skin tone, and what goes well with your other clothing options. For example, salmon, yellow, orange, brown, pink, don't really work well on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom