• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German EU commissioner accused of racism after remarks about Chinese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Germany's EU commissioner has tried to play down remarks about Chinese and gay marriage that critics described as clearly racist and discriminatory.

In a speech to businessmen held in Hamburg last week, Guenther Oettinger, the senior member of Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative party, used the derogatory term Schlitzaugen - slit eyes - to describe people from China and other Asian descent.

"That was a somewhat sloppy remark that was in no way meant to be disrespectful to China," Oettinger told the newspaper Die Welt, without apologizing for it. Instead, the EU commissioner defended himself against accusations of racism.

"You have to see the broader context in which I made my remarks. In my speech, I wanted to warn Germany of too much self-confidence," he said.

In the speech, a video of which also surfaced online, Oettinger criticized Germany's current political agenda, listing issues such as maternity leave, retirement and child-care allowances.

He then added that "perhaps compulsory gay marriage" would be introduced soon, triggering some laughter in the audience.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-e...=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Make me get married if old

Video link:

El Topo

Could this be the thing that finally saves us from Oettinger?

Edit:
It's way worse in context. What was he thinking?

Edit 2:
Was this a (semi-)comedy speech (attempt)?

Fiend

Even the lowest political position is too high for that guy. One of the most incompetent politicians I've ever seen.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Oettinger is an embarrassment. Not only now. His statements on information technology, for instance, make it incomprehensible how he could become the EU commissioner for these topics.

He is the personification of OldManYellsAtCloud.gif

dorn.

Oettinger is and always has been a colossal idiot that has, through ill will or sheer incompetence, done tremendous damage in every position he has ever been in. I cross my fingers this will finally end his career for good.

geomon

How was that not disrespectful and really he's going to go with the whole "I was taken out of context" excuse? Give me a break.

Trokil

Banned
Oettinger is an asshole, seriously. Drunk driving, several scandals, total incompetence, he was too toxic for German politics so they "promoted" him to the EU. Like several other bad apples in German politics.

It is incredible, that he still has a job in politics. But he knows too many people and they put him into a position where no non politician has to elect him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom