• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting into dancing games...

snaildog

I'm about to win an auction for a really cheap dancing mat (will possibly get a better one if I find I like it), and I'm just looking for some pointers on the games themselves. I don't have an Xbox. I know there are about 700 million DDR games - where should I start? I'm in New Zealand, but my PS2 is modded, so I can import if necessary. It looks like PAL territories got a bit shafted going by what I can find around here (nothing). Cheers.

Suerte

snaildog said:
I'm about to win an auction for a really cheap dancing mat (will possibly get a better one if I find I like it), and I'm just looking for some pointers on the games themselves. I don't have an Xbox. I know there are about 700 million DDR games - where should I start? I'm in New Zealand, but my PS2 is modded, so I can import if necessary. It looks like PAL territories got a bit shafted going by what I can find around here (nothing). Cheers.

FYI PAL versions of DDR are called "Dancing Stage" - just incase you didn't know.

Vark

I tend to just prefer the original first 3 mixes for the PSOne, but then I haven't gotten too much of the newer stuff.

Only real suggestion is keep in mind it doesn't take you off if you step on the wrong arrow, just if you don't step on the right one. So it's a lot easier if your 'resting' position is on the left and right arrows.

Normally when people first start they stand in the center and try to step out from there and that will just screw you up. Also try to alternate your feet as much as possible, if you use one foot to do most of the work you'll get tripped up when your left has to be too many places at once.

Tsubaki

Having a good dancing mat will make the game infinitely better. I'm not kidding.

Playing DDR with a bad one is like playing Street Fighter II with the Tekki/Steel Battalion controller. It should not be done, and totally influences your perception of game quality, when the issue is really the mat you use.

To make a long story short:

Cheap mats:

Thin
Flimsy
Moves all over the place
Folds upon itself

All of which impairs performance, and fun.

(Oh and I like 3rd Mix the best, personally)

snaildog

Suerte said:
FYI PAL versions of DDR are called "Dancing Stage" - just incase you didn't know.
Whoa, really? That might explain why I've had no luck finding the games here, although I can't find any "Dancing Stage" games either doing a quick search. Does anyone know of some online places that sell them, preferably cheaply?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=16106136
That's the mat I'm bidding on. I know it's probably crap, but that is DIRT cheap (keep in mind it's NZ dollars); I might get a better one if I like the games. And please don't bid over me ;)

Thanks for the suggestions, and more are welcome.

jenov4

Suerte said:

I thought Dancing Stage was a totally different type of Dance game from Konami?

Belfast

Hey, anyone else been playing Extreme? I've been sitting around unlocking stuff the past few days. Mission Mode = HOT. Everything up through ~40 is pretty easy, then 40-50 gets pretty taxing. And then after that......well, who would've thought they'd include that many missions in the game. :)

When you think you're done, you're not, and I can't even begin to imagine how incredibly hard the rest must be. ;)

Tsubaki said:
Having a good dancing mat will make the game infinitely better. I'm not kidding.
Word. I got some cheapo pads and used it with the first DDR release, but... it's no time at all before they're slipping around, or just plain registering presses that aren't there and vice-versa. I happily paid my 50 cents per play once a machine appeared nearby.

Now I'm just thinking of how I can use my old thin pads as a wall decoration or something. :)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i think the trick is to let your jaw go slack and stomp as hard as you possibly can. bonus points for squeals of animal delight.

daMandus

jenov4 said:
I thought Dancing Stage was a totally different type of Dance game from Konami?

No, it's the same. So far we got:

Dancing Stage Euromix (PS)
Dancing Stage Party Edition (PS)
Dancing Stage Megamix (PS2)
Dancing Stage Fever (PS2)

and another one for the Xbox

Top Bottom