• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting my first gaming PC in 10+ years - what must-have games have I missed?

AzaK

So within a week I'll have a gaming PC in my house for the first time since Wii. In that time I've been almost solely console based apart from a couple of indie games I've played on my MacBook and Steam. No doubt I've missed hundreds of great games in that time.

What I'd like to know of is some really corker games that you'd recommend I check out - preferably that I couldn't have already played on a console.

I'm open to genre, but I do typically play twitch games (Quake, CoD etc) or adventures such as Zelda/Tomb Raider etc.

Cheers

Hooks

CS:GO (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive)
Rust
Witcher 3 (It's on console, But it looks damn good on PC)

arigato

Ori and the Blind Forest, Cave Story, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, original Mafia, Jazz Jackrabbit 2, Gothic 1 plus 2, Freespace II, original Prey, La Mulana, Quake Live, alpha Unreal Tournament, original Dead Rising, and Qbeh-1 The Atlas Cube.

Oreoleo

Browsing through my Steam library:

STALKER (as mentioned)
Civ 5/6 (as mentioned)
Hard Reset (Released on consoles last year, but I imagine playing with m+kb would be a big improvement- should scratch that Quake itch pretty decently)
Pillars of Eternity
The Talos Principle (Only on PS4 as far as consoles go)
Kerbal Space Program (IIRC the console version is kind of a mess)
Cities: Skylines
Hacknet
Torchlight II

Stellaris
FTL:Faster than Light
Kerbal Space Program
Cities:Skyline
The Stalker Series
Arma 3
Squad-battlefield meets Arma
Xcom 2- Even if you played it on console, the mod scene is ginormous and can completely change up the game.
Crysis- great sandbox-y FPS that gets overlooked because people who haven't played it thinks it was just a tech demo
Banished
RimWorld

There's whole genres of games not on consoles, so you might as well take advantage:

Stellaris
Europa Universalis IV
Crusader Kings 2

Enjoy the end of your social life.

These, plus HoI4 if you want WWII. They're grand strategy games, think Civilization but usually bigger and with more complex simulations. Stellaris is the most similar to Civ, while Crusader Kings II will allow you to experience Game-of-Thrones type political intrigues. It'll have you murdering your siblings for inheritences, seducing the pope, wrangling nobles into doing your bidding, crusading in the holy land and more.

High end gaming on PC generally consists of higher quality console ports. They don't really make eyeball melting PC exclusives like they used to back in the day, at least beyond maybe one or two exceptions. Most of the great exclusives these days are not ultra high budget, but you still get to experience the best of both worlds - playing your Witchers and Batmans at cranked up settings, while also enjoying your ultra hardcore strategy games and everything inbetween.

Manzoon

Banned
Lots of excellent suggestions already, I'll try to add some more:

Superhot - although on Xbox One it seems like a mouse and keyboard would be best
Teleglitch: Die More Edition - kind of a Quake top down survival shooter, procedural levels
Butcher - this is definitely side scrolling Quake
Stardew Valley - best Harvest Moon like game I've played in a long time
Brigador - Isometric mech shooter, feels like a 16bit dream game
Factorio - if you love conveyor belts and wasting tons and tons of time

I've got tons more but they are all generally available on consoles, kind of a great time for multi platform releases.

If you are into roguelikes, you are in for a treat.

-Crypt of the Necrodancer
-Rogue Legacy
-Enter the Gungeon
-Binding of Isaac
-Downwell
-Nuclear Throne

Oreoleo

Teleglitch: Die More Edition - kind of a Quake top down survival shooter, procedural levels

Great pick, I wish this game would have become more of an 'indie darling,' it was pretty unique at the time it launched (though I think games like Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon have kind of eaten its lunch since then).

Seeing it mentioned though reminded me of Devil Daggers. Though I haven't played it personally, it's gotten a lot of praise around here from those who have. Been described as a cross between new-DOOM and Geometry Wars.

ISee

Specs OP we need them.

Great games you've missed:

-Tyranny [rpg]. A bit old school, but it is so much better then dragon age inquisition. This game is really good.
-Civilization 6 [4x] (also 5, but just go for 6 now).
-Starcraft 2 + Addons [rts].
-Xcom 1/2 + Long War mod [strategy].
-Total War Series [strategy] (Total War:Warhammer is the newest, fantasy based)
-Heroes of the Storm [moba]. My goto quick I need some PvP for 20 minutes fame.
-Cities skylines [city building]
-pillars of Eternity [action rpg]

There are of course many more OP, but those are really good ones.
Also all the multiplat stuff that willrun better for you. E.g. A smooth 60fps dark souls 3 without frame pacing issues or an even more beautiful 60fps witcher 3.

Here's something for you, look into Humble Bundle - the site is doing all kinds of cheap, fantastic bundles all the time. Just last month their monthly subscription bundle offered XCOM 2, one of last year's best games. That's an easy way to get great games quickly.

Manzoon

Banned
Great pick, I wish this game would have become more of an 'indie darling,' it was pretty unique at the time it launched (though I think games like Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon have kind of eaten its lunch since then).

Seeing it mentioned though reminded me of Devil Daggers. Though I haven't played it personally, it's gotten a lot of praise around here from those who have. Been described as a cross between new-DOOM and Geometry Wars.

I keep wanting to play more, but my back log is bountiful (welcome to the world of Steam sales and Humble bundles, as mentioned above). Devil Dagger is another game I keep meaning to get. One more for the list:

CrossCode - only played the demo so far but it's on my short list for jumping to the top of 'need to play right now'. An action RPG inspired by Secret of Mana and games from that era.

It's kinda dependant on if you're going to be playing on a controller/TV. If so, there isn't a whole bunch that's going to be suitable and hasn't seen a console release. If you're not, or you don't mind pulling a mouse and keyboard out/have a big enough screen then there's some good suggestions above.

Use Humble Bundles to try out games you might not normally have been interested in for cheap.

bobawesome

Kentucky Route Zero
To The Moon
Her Story
Orwell
Papers Please
VA-11 Hall A
Undertale
Pony Island

Cut Pony Island and I'd say you've got a good list. Pony Island was just...not a very fun game, in my opinion. I'd even say I felt ripped off after paying only a dollar for it. The narrative was grating, the puzzles weren't half as clever as the creator seems to think they are, and the sound design is among the worst I've heard.

Wii, PS3, Wii U and PS4. I didn't play a lot on the PS3 though.

From my personal experience, aside from just seeking out "PC exclusives", I'd strongly suggest you revisit a bunch of games from the PS3 era, and play them on PC. It's like seeing them with new eyes.

Zeknurn

Stellaris
Europa Universalis IV
Crusader Kings 2

Enjoy the end of your social life.

These, plus HoI4 if you want WWII. They're grand strategy games, think Civilization but usually bigger and with more complex simulations. Stellaris is the most similar to Civ, while Crusader Kings II will allow you to experience Game-of-Thrones type political intrigues. It'll have you murdering your siblings for inheritences, seducing the pope, wrangling nobles into doing your bidding, crusading in the holy land and more.

And we're done here. Get back to us in 10 years when you're done with these 4 games.

Pillars of Eternity
Tyranny
Endless Legends
Civilization 5 or 6 (I'd suggest 5 first it's cheap)
Crysis 1/2/3 (just cause)
Battlefield 4
Xcom2
Path of Exile
Skyrim modded the fuck out

Arminsc

If you enjoy strategy I would recommend any Total War game. Total War Warhammer is one of the best of them and is available this month for 12$ at humble monthly.

Other interesting strategy games are paradox games like Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis IV or Stellaris.

Also there are a lot of amazing RPGs like Baldur's Gate (old but the enhanced edition of I and II still look and play relatively good), Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, Age of Decadence or the Shadowrun series.

Rainbow Six: Siege
XCOM: Enemy Uknown/Enemy Within.
XCOM 2
STALKER series, but mainly Shadow over Chernobyl.
The Witcher 1, 2 and 3.
Definitely, definitely, definitely Fallout New Vegas too.

Edit: Since you didn't play many PS3 era games, I'd also recommend

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

- Skyrim if you want to go deep down the modding rabbit hole
- Endless Legend
- Mount & Blade: Warband
- Undertale
- Owlboy
- GW2/WoW/FFXIV/ESO/etc.
- Team Fortress 2/DotA 2
- Age of Empires 2 HD

Cracklox

A lot of good stuff already said, so I'll go with my standard recommendation of grim dawn.

Age of Wonders 3 is another that comes to mind

Wait, 90% of these suggestions are console games.

What gives, thread?

The majority of all new games with a budget in the multimillion dollar range will be on console, if not initially then at least at some point within 3-4 years after it initially launched. Even though some of them aren't exclusives, it's still worth revisiting a lot of them for whatever reason. Crysis 1 on console missed entire levels of the game and had some level design tweaks to fit on consoles. It's worth revisiting on PC. Witcher 3 looks phenomenal on a high end PC, worth revisiting. Team Fortress 2 is "on console", but is shit there. Counter Strike: GO is "on console", but is shit there. And so on.

Here is a list of outright PC exclusives, as mentioned above by some users, which are worth your time:

Role Playing Games:
  • The Age of Decadence
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny
  • Underrail

Strategy Games:
  • Civilization V/VI (4x)
  • Stellaris (4x / grand)
  • Hearts of Iron IV (grand, ww2)
  • Crusader Kings II (grand, medieval)
  • Europa Universalis IV (grand, renaissance and early-modern)
  • Xenonauts (turn based in the style of X-com)
  • 8-Bit Armies + Expansions (Oldschool RTS)
  • Company of Heroes / Company of Heroes 2 (Possibly the finest 'modern' RTS games despite their flaws)

Other:
  • Cities: Skylines

If you're interested in highly polished cinematic experiences with top tier animation and production values, the PC doesn't really offer that with its exclusive library. Maybe Star Citizen will be the first one in years to do that. But what thrives on PC is games that have no place in the modern games industry. Hardcore strategy games. Niche titles. Street Sweeping simulators (not a joke). RPGs designed not for a mass market, but for fans of the turn-of-the-century crpg golden age.

Hackbert

These are all good reccomendations.

given all the recommendations, you dont really need a monster pc it seems... i think most of this titles would my 460 gt still be able to play.

still struggling with myself, if i buy a midrange pc or buy an dell xps or something in that range.. decisions , decisions....

PhaZZe

Banned
age of empire 2 hd
dragon dogma
Ori
civ 5
xcom enemy within
overwatch
rocket league
path of exile

an app i saved my couching gaming, controller companion, is a cheap app, it let you control your pc with your joystick.

given all the recommendations, you dont really need a monster pc it seems... i think most of this titles would my 460 gt still be able to play.

still struggling with myself, if i buy a midrange pc or buy an dell xps or something in that range.. decisions , decisions....

The latest XPS apparently has a bit of a wonky screen when it comes to motion blur, consult the gaming laptop thread for details.

You definitely don't need a high end PC to enjoy most PC exclusives. They come in handy for maxing out console ports though.

Top Bottom