• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting my first gaming PC in 10+ years - what must-have games have I missed?

The majority of all new games with a budget in the multimillion dollar range will be on console, if not initially then at least at some point within 3-4 years after it initially launched. Even though some of them aren't exclusives, it's still worth revisiting a lot of them for whatever reason. Crysis 1 on console missed entire levels of the game and had some level design tweaks to fit on consoles. It's worth revisiting on PC. Witcher 3 looks phenomenal on a high end PC, worth revisiting. Team Fortress 2 is "on console", but is shit there. Counter Strike: GO is "on console", but is shit there. And so on.

I understand those kinds of overlap in recommendations, but a relatively large amount of them were perfectly fine on console even though OP mentioned owning basically every console. That's why I was surprised.

But more to the point: wow, thanks! That's a really helpful and comprehensive list. Bookmarking the shit out of that.

EDIT:

Undertale's a PC exclusive too right? Need to play that, still.

Tenck

Hotline Miami 1 and 2
Age of Decadence
Life is Strange
Divinity Original Sin
Shadowrun Hong Kong
Grim Dawn
LISA
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Factorio
Vampire: The Masquerade
Papers, Please

hohoXD123

I think most of the more popular PC exclusive games to get have already been mentioned. But if you like your RPGs and didn't have a PSP/Vita then Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky is a must buy. If you like puzzle solving VNs then Danganronpa and the Nonary Games too (not sure if it's out yet). Action RPGs? Get Ys.

Also, running new multiplatform games on PC is pretty great. 144fps Rocket League on a G-Sync monitor is a completely different experience. Witcher 3 looks stunning, especially with some mods. Overwatch with a keyboard and mouse is so much nicer. Obviously if your aim is running new AAA games with all the bells and whistles, your budget will have to shoot up several fold.

The latest XPS apparently has a bit of a wonky screen when it comes to motion blur, consult the gaming laptop thread for details.

You definitely don't need a high end PC to enjoy most PC exclusives. They come in handy for maxing out console ports though.
It's more noticeable to some than others, the 4K screen at least should have fewer issues.

I'm open to genre, but I do typically play twitch games (Quake, CoD etc) or adventures such as Zelda/Tomb Raider etc.

Cheers

Give the Unreal x games a go, especially UT2K4 and 2007. If you like them, go back to Unreal Gold then try Unreal II (know that that game got flak when it came out for being boring). Also give the Serious Sam games a try, starting with 3. SWAT 3 and 4 may be your thing if you love tactical shooters where it's more about prioritising tactics over run 'n' gun shooting.

Since you're into TR/Zelda, give The Elder Scrolls games a go with mods and the same for the Saints Row games (2 onwards). There's also lots of survival games like DayZ, Rust, Conan Exiles and ARK to give a shot as they're popular with Twitchers.

AzaK

The majority of all new games with a budget in the multimillion dollar range will be on console, if not initially then at least at some point within 3-4 years after it initially launched. Even though some of them aren't exclusives, it's still worth revisiting a lot of them for whatever reason. Crysis 1 on console missed entire levels of the game and had some level design tweaks to fit on consoles. It's worth revisiting on PC. Witcher 3 looks phenomenal on a high end PC, worth revisiting. Team Fortress 2 is "on console", but is shit there. Counter Strike: GO is "on console", but is shit there. And so on.

Here is a list of outright PC exclusives, as mentioned above by some users, which are worth your time:

Role Playing Games:
  • The Age of Decadence
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Tyranny
  • Underrail

Strategy Games:
  • Civilization V/VI (4x)
  • Stellaris (4x / grand)
  • Hearts of Iron IV (grand, ww2)
  • Crusader Kings II (grand, medieval)
  • Europa Universalis IV (grand, renaissance and early-modern)
  • Xenonauts (turn based in the style of X-com)
  • 8-Bit Armies + Expansions (Oldschool RTS)
  • Company of Heroes / Company of Heroes 2 (Possibly the finest 'modern' RTS games despite their flaws)

Other:
  • Cities: Skylines

If you're interested in highly polished cinematic experiences with top tier animation and production values, the PC doesn't really offer that with its exclusive library. Maybe Star Citizen will be the first one in years to do that. But what thrives on PC is games that have no place in the modern games industry. Hardcore strategy games. Niche titles. Street Sweeping simulators (not a joke). RPGs designed not for a mass market, but for fans of the turn-of-the-century crpg golden age.

Thanks. Strategy games is certainly something I haven't played in many years and I'd like to try some again.

4k 120hz them...it's the only way!°

If that doesn't work... 8k and up lol

My PC is not high end, it's pretty basic but should handle most current games close/at 1080/60 on high baed on my research. That's good enough for me.

Give the Unreal x games a go, especially UT2K4 and 2007. If you like them, go back to Unreal Gold then try Unreal II (know that that game got flak when it came out for being boring). Also give the Serious Sam games a try, starting with 3. SWAT 3 and 4 may be your thing if you love tactical shooters where it's more about prioritising tactics over run 'n' gun shooting.

Since you're into TR/Zelda, give The Elder Scrolls games a go with mods and the same for the Saints Row games (2 onwards). There's also lots of survival games like DayZ, Rust, Conan Exiles and ARK to give a shot as they're popular with Twitchers.

Cheers. The first Unreal I used to play back in the day and really enjoyed and thanks for bring up mods - that's obviously something I've missed completely on consoles.

Cool, thanks. Didn't know there was a Metal Gear on PC. I've actually never played a Metal Gear at all.

Najaf

Witcher 3 on max settings (1440) is a true treat. GTA V with the right mods as well as Hitman. Great looking games. Arma 3 is great as well.

Also worth checking out if you are into the genre, Cities Skylines is one of my recent favorites.

Edit:

Also Civilization (5/6) and Total War: Shogun 2. Two of my most played PC exclusives.

Tapejara

Since I'm guessing you didn't play it on PS3, I'd recommend checking out Binary Domain. It's a third person shooter from SEGA (by the director of the Yakuza games) in the vein of Gears of War. It's got it's own style to it, with an fun story and great characters. One of my favourite games of last gen.

Neptonic

IDK there are games that I associate with PC that aren't exclusives, just because the community is strong there.

CS:GO
Borderlands 2
StarCraft 2
Cities Skylines
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Dark Souls 1 w/ DSFix
Skyrim w/ mods
And I guess try one of the 3 big MOBAs and see if you like them.

Tagyhag

Mount and Blade! It's basically a medieval warfare simulator.

There's a console version, buuuuut you pretty much should play it on the PC. It's not a good port and it has no mod support.

Top Bottom