• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Ghostbusters' 30th Anniversary: Original movie returning to theaters on Aug 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparisi2274

Slime me if old!!!

So, this year marks the 30th Anniversary of Ghostbusters (God, I am old) and as such, Sony is re-releasing the movie onto 700 screens come Aug 29th.

There will also be a new Blu-Ray combo pack that comes with a neat Slimer statue...

Here are some details that I pulled from Entertainment Weekly:

This weekend marks the 30th anniversary of Ghostbusters, which came, saw, and kicked Mr. Stay Puft’s ass in the summer of 1984. The hilarious, special-effects-laden adventure about Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and the late Harold Ramis’ trio of disgraced academics, who luck into the paranormal extermination racket just as supernatural creatures try to bring about the end of times, dominated the box office and had virtually every American humming Ray Parker Jr.’s theme song and asking the rhetorical question, “Who you gonna call?”

Well, the answer is still loud and clear, and a restored and remastered Ghostbusters will return to more than 700 movie theaters on Aug. 29. The theatrical re-release is the centerpiece of a Ghostbusters‘ anniversary celebration that will also include special events, collectible merchandise, and a new home-entertainment release. The Ghostbusters 30th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray, as well as the Ghostbusters II 25th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray will be available on Sept. 16. It’s the first time the 1989 sequel has been released on Blu-ray, and special features include new conversations with director Ivan Reitman and Aykroyd, as well as deleted scenes from the sequel. “Ghostbusters is still one of our studio’s most beloved franchises,” said Rory Bruer, Sony’s president of worldwide distribution. “I was lucky enough to work on the release of the film on its first run, so it’s a real thrill for me to see that it’s still connecting with audiences everywhere. On the big screen or in home entertainment, this is a great movie to experience again and again.”

Ghostbusters_BoxSet_3Dpackshot2.jpg

I for one am excited to see it in the theater again, seeing as the last time I saw it in the theater was when it first came out.... Anyone else going to see if its playing in their area and hit up a screening??

EDIT: Link to story:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/05/ghostbusters-rerelease/

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm far more in favor of Hollywood doing this then pumping out more garbage remakes.

post-19715-Brent-Rambo-gif-thumbs-up-imgu-L3yP_zpsbdd35e28.gif

Awesome. Already have the blu-ray for the original movie but that's a pretty cool set. I rarely go to the movies anymore but I think I'd make the trip to watch this on the big screen if it played in my area.

My holding out on buying the stand-alone GB blu-ray has paid off. I'd like to see the re-release as well, but having an 10-month old makes going to the theater difficult.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
OMFG we're finally getting 2 on blu-ray! FUCK YES!

link to news article?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Is this a completely new transfer or are they just repackaging the already existing blu-ray with Ghostbusters II?

I fully expect it to look like the 'Mastered in 4K' Blu-ray release, which was much more faithful than the first Blu-ray. That was allegedly a new scan and only a year ago.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Looks like the content for the 4k remaster is the same as the single release a while ago, which I already own. Will wait for 2 to get a single disc release for the new content not on my dvd copy.

I am totally down for a theatrical re-release. Two years ago I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark in IMAX despite owning several versions of it and it was an amazing time. Would love that for this.

I fully expect it to look like the 'Mastered in 4K' Blu-ray release, which was much more faithful than the first Blu-ray. That was allegedly a new scan and only a year ago.

Yeah, I'm looking at the site and it appears it's probably just going to be that same transfer, if not the same disc exactly.

Looks like the content for the 4k remaster is the same as the single release a while ago, which I already own. Will wait for 2 to get a single disc release for the new content not on my dvd copy.

Or yeah, what Bison just said :)

edit: I screened a 35mm print of Ghostbusters a couple years ago to a full theater - if you can see it on the big screen, see it. Movie is REALLY fuckin impressive in a theater. And somehow - funnier, too.

TP-DK

I'm gonna doubledip and get the blu-ray digibook.

Love the first movie. The second is alright, but not even close to be as great as the first.

I saw this movie in the theater. ...I was four years old.

Bless 80's parenting.

lol, I was six. Had nightmares for a while about that ghost lady unzipping Ray's pants!

I hate going to the theaters, but can't help being excited for this. Awwwwwwwwww yisssss.

KalBalboa

Banned
Ghostbusters 2 actually has a good amount of material cut. An entire plotline building up to Ray's final possession during the finale was axed for running time, but some of it was used during the montage when Ray is driving around erratically. Dana was original there during the courtroom scene, Louis tried catching Slimer at the firehouse... The original ending was longer, too. The final scene was supposed to involve the Ghostbusters receiving an award from the city at liberty island.

There's also a bunch of small stuff here and there that got cut.

TalkingToTheMayorGB2DeletedScene01.jpg

GhostbustersIILouisSetsATrap01.jpg

gb2_deleted13-02.jpg

gb2deletedscene.jpg

YMgjnZyi.jpg

iuyIWa78.jpg

Finally. Didn't get the current one on BR cause it only had 1 and not 2. This month also is the 25th anniversary for 2.

Edit: Bittersweet anniversary though considering the passing of Ramis.

Edit #2: Now all we need is a release of the OST for II for it to be complete. We got a full OST for I back in like '06 but still haven't seen an OST for II outside of the soundtrack that only had the songs back when the movie was released.

zma1013

I can't believe they put 1 and 2 in the same package. Don't they know you're not supposed to cross the streams?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
So wait, I already own the first Blu Ray release and the 4K remaster on Blu Ray of GB1. I've kept GB2 on regular DVD.

Can I sell off both of those Blu Rays now? It says that both GB1 and GB2 will be in 4K on Blu Ray, but will they have all the extras from the original Blu Ray release? That's the only reason I'm holding onto my GB1 Blu Ray.

Savitar

I would gladly watch this on the big screen.

Pretty sure I own a copy on blu ray, if not and it's just the DVD I'll look at getting this set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom