• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Ghostbusters' 30th Anniversary: Original movie returning to theaters on Aug 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my god. I was born in November of 84 and I remember watching GB on TV as a very small baby, but I've never been fortunate enough to see it in theaters. I have to go. I have to get that set. The Slimer statue will go very nicely with the one I got from the Deluxe Set for the video game.

I'm so happy. This is the greatest 30th birthday present ever. Ghostbusters is my favorite movie of all time. The LEGO set, this new release, theatrical rerelease, the comic is on fire, oh my gosh it's overwhelming.

ignata

I just ordered GB on Blu-ray a few days ago as it dropped under $10 on Amazon. I guess this is why. Thank goodness I narrowly avoided not being able to purchase the original without having to also own GBII!

The fuck is with people hating on GBII. I just watched it again like two days ago and while no, it's not as good as the original (and there are few movies that are), it's still funny as hell and a decent movie.

Will watch in the theatre. I guess this is why the movies got taken down from crackle.

Love the first movie but I detest the second one.

Love evolution though.

I remember going to see it in the cinema when it first came out. The cinema was RAMMED full and we couldn't sit together, it was crazy. I sat with my mum, and my sister sat with my dad. We were right at the front as they were the only seats remaining. It's the most memorable cinema experience of my life, it was wonderful. When the film started everyone was singing the intro song and cheering.

I'll be 36 years old when this comes to the cinema in August, think it might be fitting to take my mum and dad back to see it :)

meppi

Already have this on bluray twice and even twice on DVD as they came pout, but I'll be buying this pack again without a shadow of a doubt.
Easily my most watched film ever, not to mention my favourite one. :)

I saw GB2 in theaters :D

Haha, me too!
I remember walking out of the theater with a big poster as well as the soundtrack LP.
Wish I could have seen the original in the theater as well, but I was just 7 at the time.

Blu-Ray.com has more info along with a list of extra's

GHOSTBUSTERS

NEW! Who You Gonna Call: A Ghostbusters Retrospective - Roundtable Discussion with Director Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd (Part 1)
NEW! Poster Art Gallery – Gallery 1988 artwork
NEW! "Ghostbusters" Music Video – Ray Parker, Jr.
Legacy Content:
Slimer Mode – Picture in Picture and Trivia Track
Commentary w/ Ivan Reitman, Harold Ramis & Joe Medjuck
10 Deleted Scenes
1984 Featurette
Cast and Crew Featurette
SFX Team Featurette
Multi-Angles
Ecto-1: Resurrecting the Classic Car
Ghostbusters Garage: Ecto-1 Gallery Storyboard Comparisons

GHOSTBUSTERS II

Special Features:

NEW! Time Is But A Window: Ghostbusters II and Beyond - Roundtable Discussion with Director Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd (Part 2)
NEW! Deleted Scenes
NEW! "On Our Own" Music Video – Bobby Brown

G-Fex

I couldn't have seen the original in theaters, I was born that year D:

Man, 89 was the best year for movies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The fuck is with people hating on GBII. I just watched it again like two days ago and while no, it's not as good as the original (and there are few movies that are), it's still funny as hell and a decent movie.

Exactly! The movie gets a harder time than it deserves. It's still a fun ride and very funny! Watching Ghostbusters immediately puts me on the train to Ghostbuster II because there's is just something to it that compliments the first so well. There are great ghost moments, silly but great cameos (come on, "Better late than never"!) and an awesome soundtrack.

of course it's never going to be better than the first. That movie was on a pedestal as soon as it came out and only grew bolder and fresher every year that passed and with every comedy since then deriving some kind of essence or influence from it. Especially the comedy writers nowadays who you can directly tell grew up with the Ghostbusters and crafted all of our modern comedy films that people would consider future classics.

It's going to be extremely hard to top that much greatness, people are going to be displeased with it the sequel no matter what.

come one... the fucking slime blower!

gb2film1999chapter23s0es94.png

it's a
phallic joke
that we got to play with as children in toy form!

Rootbeer

Banned
Great new features on these discs... I will buy this for sure.

And look, I love Part II. But at times it does echo the first one a little too hard. Right down to having a new giant at the end of the film before confronting the baddie.

Ghostbusters 2 actually has a good amount of material cut. An entire plotline building up to Ray's final possession during the finale was axed for running time, but some of it was used during the montage when Ray is driving around erratically. Dana was original there during the courtroom scene, Louis tried catching Slimer at the firehouse... The original ending was longer, too. The final scene was supposed to involve the Ghostbusters receiving an award from the city at liberty island.

There's also a bunch of small stuff here and there that got cut.

TalkingToTheMayorGB2DeletedScene01.jpg

GhostbustersIILouisSetsATrap01.jpg

gb2_deleted13-02.jpg

gb2deletedscene.jpg

YMgjnZyi.jpg

iuyIWa78.jpg

GOOD LORD. Will all of this be on the deleted scenes?

Were any of those in the blu-ray or the 4k remastered blu-ray?

Excluding the stuff marked as "New" for obvious reasons, most of that stuff is from the 99 DVD's. Don't know if they were on the previous BR's as I didn't buy them since I held off till they released both movies instead of just the first one.

Saw both Ghostbusters movies in the theater. (I was 8 for the first one).

Would totally love to see them both on the big screen again. (though seeing the first one is a good start).

Anybody know how many screens Ghostbusters opened on originally? Given the usual openings at the time (in the early 80s), 700 screens sounds like it may be a comparable number (if not the same number).

I love the fact that my brain immediately unconsciously clicked onto the theme song as I opened the thread. I'll probably catch this in theaters in August.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't think so on the 4K disc. They tend to eschew the extras in order to take full advantage of the higher bitrate.
Yeah, I own both Blu Ray's and the 4K has no special features at all which is why I kept the first Blu Ray. Now that it's confirmed the new set has the 4K transfer AND the bonus features, I can sell both of my old copies.

I'm far more in favor of Hollywood doing this then pumping out more garbage remakes.

Absolutely. I was too young to see this in theaters but once it came out on VHS it was one of my favorites as a kid.

There are so many others that i'd go see.

Carnby

lol, I was six. Had nightmares for a while about that ghost lady unzipping Ray's pants!

I hate going to the theaters, but can't help being excited for this. Awwwwwwwwww yisssss.

The only thing that stuck with me was the skeleton driving the taxi cab. That was creepy.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The only thing that stuck with me was the skeleton driving the taxi cab. That was creepy.

Yeah, I remember this being the roughest one on me. Guess I was about 4 when the movie came out, so pretty sure I didn't see it in theaters. God Bless VHS.

BTW Guys, Ghostbuster's is on AMC right now. Just had The Twinkie moment.

elfinke

Damn, nice. I wonder if it will see a re-release to theatres in Australia? Jurassic Park did when they did the 3D thingo a year or two ago, that was pretty great.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
This was one of the best Political/Religious/Atheist scene ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S4cldkdCjE

The nod and smile of the Bishop at the end is hilarious.

Murray's reaction to the Mayor doing the, I guess you'd call it, "friendly face slap" is funny.

So many little things of this movie I caught over the years. I remember as a kid, not getting the "they hate that" piano, "The Flowers are still standing" and the "This man has no dick" punchline.

B.K.

It would be nice if they would run it for a week or two, instead of just one night. I'd like to go see it, but all the theaters showing it are too far away to go to on a weeknight, even if it is a Friday night.

it's a
phallic joke
that we got to play with as children in toy form!
You know what, I never saw it that way until I read your post and now you've ruined the innocence of it for me forever

Great new features on these discs... I will buy this for sure.

And look, I love Part II. But at times it does echo the first one a little too hard. Right down to having a new giant at the end of the film before confronting the baddie.

To be fair, though, the original pitch of Ghostbusters was FILLED with giant monsters. In fact, StayPuft was just one of the smaller ones they dealt with. The boys taking on ridiculously huge creatures is kind of a pillar to the franchise.

Already have this on bluray twice and even twice on DVD as they came pout, but I'll be buying this pack again without a shadow of a doubt.
Easily my most watched film ever, not to mention my favourite one. :)

Haha, me too!
I remember walking out of the theater with a big poster as well as the soundtrack LP.
Wish I could have seen the original in the theater as well, but I was just 7 at the time.

I saw it at the cinema, have a lot of Ghostbusters merchandise from both movies. i remember so many things, books (including a custom fantasy book that contained a tape to listen to as well).

And there was a Ghostbusters II story book that had some of the deleted scenes pictures (including the Ray sequence mentioned on page 1). I had the Ghostbusters 2 icy pole - which was basically just a red icy pole with a white inside. And the Ghostbusters 2 trading cards (with a stick of bubble gum).

Mixed thoughts about another re-release, not doubting that the original and sequel are quality films.... i just don't think they can improve the picture quality to anything better than they have. Reading custom reviews of the original blu-ray vs the 4k release it seems one version handles the black colors better and the other version showcases the white colors better :-/.

I thought i hit the jackpot a few years ago when i scored the re-release of the first Ghostbusters soundtrack.

I have 3 different versions of Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 2 on dvd.

If Australia gets a cinema run of the film i'm totally going to see it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Because it's terrible and doesn't understand why the first film was good. It relegates Murray to playing with a baby for most of his screen time and instead of an Elder Thing villain brilliantly incorporated into New York's melting pot history it uses a painting of an Eastern European and his minion whose primary source of humor is his un-American accent. Most of the second half of the film is an extended snot joke, as though the only thing they remembered from the first movie was that a lot of people quoted "I got slimed" over and over, while the first half is spent getting the team back together, which is just a waste of time. The team got together in the first movie, don't waste time reassembling again. And the Statue of Liberty finale is awful, makes no sense on any level, and screams "we need a big thing stomping through the streets because that's what was at the end of the first movie."

It easily gets my vote for the most wrong-headed sequel to a great movie ever. The first film is one of the best films of its era, and is borderline flawless, and as far as I'm concerned the Ghostbusters canon is the first film and the animated series.

Because it's terrible and doesn't understand why the first film was good. It relegates Murray to playing with a baby for most of his screen time and instead of an Elder Thing villain brilliantly incorporated into New York's melting pot history it uses a painting of an Eastern European and his minion whose primary source of humor is his un-American accent. Most of the second half of the film is an extended snot joke, as though the only thing they remembered from the first movie was that a lot of people quoted "I got slimed" over and over, while the first half is spent getting the team back together, which is just a waste of time. The team got together in the first movie, don't waste time reassembling again. And the Statue of Liberty finale is awful, makes no sense on any level, and screams "we need a big thing stomping through the streets because that's what was at the end of the first movie."

It easily gets my vote for the most wrong-headed sequel to a great movie ever, and as far as I'm concerned the Ghostbusters canon is the first film and the animated series.

To each his own, I just watched it again tonight with two friends and we all enjoyed it. I haven't watched it nearly as many times as the first one because it frankly isn't as good, but it still makes me laugh out loud each time. I just love the franchise so much that "more of the same" really doesn't bother me because IMO more Ghostbusters is better than less Ghostbusters. Except for Extreme GB, I remember not really caring for that iteration.

You should count the recent line of comics as canon too, or at least check them out if you haven't yet, they're absolutely amazing and capture everything good about the first movie in them. The banter of the characters, the science behind why they got into it, the natural progression of more GB teams, rival ghost trapper companies, etc. I'm constantly floored with it, it feels like the writer really 'gets' the core ideas of Ghostbusters. It also, as far as I can tell, counts everything as canon so there are all kinds of really great touches and nods and callbacks. It even references the game a couple times (which I remember enjoying a lot, as it was nice to finally see an 'unrestricted' Ghostbusters story in terms of what they could do with their equipment and special effects for the ghosts and locations). Been meaning to play through it again lately. But definitely check out the comic if you can, it addresses every qualm you have with the second movie so I'd think you'd like it.

zychi

Banned
I can't decide if I want to go see this on Friday. There's literally a theater 3 miles away showing it.

Had no idea this was in 4K until just a day before I saw it with some friends. Then we got in there and they had leather fucking seats. I was halfway expecting a free blowjob.

Jedi2016

Looks like they've added at least one extra week to the theatrical run. I was checking dates and it's still going to be in theaters this weekend. I'm going to try to go Saturday.

Has anyone seen it yet? Did they mess around with the color timing again in the remaster?

http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/gb1_homevid_compare.htm
Saw it last weekend, it was great seeing it on the big screen.

Color-wise, I honestly didn't notice. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary for the film. Looking at those comparison screens you linked, I would say it looked like the 2013 BD release (which is a big improvement over the earlier one). They also didn't do any futzing with aggressive noise reduction that some "remasters" are wont to do, it still had all of its film grain intact (which is a good thing, in terms of preserving what the film actually looks like).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom