• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

daveo42

Banned
Watching this UPF...it's like a slow moving trainwreck with a DDR soundtrack. That cooler tho does seems like a nightmare to deal with.

Edit: God I love Abyss. God I love DDR.

rpmboy

Everything should be grand.

But just for shits here is my build.

i5 6600k
Asus z170-A motherboard
Cooler master Hyoer 212 evo CPU cooling.
500gig SSD
GTX1060 6gb
Corsair 3000mhz DDR4 ram
650 watt PSU.

And still bouncing around case ideas.

I know everything fits together. Its 95% the build my pal did.

Only thing I am worried about is shorting out the motherboard with the case somehow. I keep seeing this mythical disaster mentioned but I dont understand it or how to avoid it.
As someone who built a very similar build (1070 instead of 1060, 2TB HDD instead of an SSD, different RAM, everything else the same) approximately a month ago, I'll say that the only hard part was the Hyper 212 Evo installation. I had to look up a few videos for that one, the instructions were a bit confusing to me. Everything else was incredibly easy. (Then again, I have experience working on computers, this was just my first time building one from scratch.)

You use standoffs to prevent shorting it out. My case (Corsair 200R) came with them preinstalled, but I'm guessing that most don't.

daveo42

Banned
I my mobo ages ago when moving cases because I didn't install standoffs. Seeing standoff tighteners seems insane to me. I've only ever hand-tightened them.

Man...they need some 8th Mix on this stream. 8th mix is best mix because it has pretty much everything in it.

Motherfuckin'

daveo42

Banned
Made it to the halfway point. I assume this is where everything grinds to a halt when everyone abandons Jeff.

Wonder if his mobo had error messaging on the board to help troubleshoot.

It looks like it's fine. First boot takes a bit to get going.

Oh cool. He's effectively done at this point. Just the long process of installing a shitton of updates and programs to get your system back to normal. Good job Jeff. Ya did it.

Put this up with the classics. What a beautiful mess.

2894933-upf1021.jpg

Unprofessional Fridays: 10/21/2016
On this special episode of UPF, we learn some important lessons. How to dance, how to love, how to build a PC, and that we need a better screwdriver set.

Made a little something.

HKSQSyu.jpg

-----

I hope more people get to play Hitman before the year ends, I still feel it's kind of underrated. Deserves so much more.

I only look forward to Wrestling games(sports) for the QLs at this point.

That was a great read. Wish we get more Rorie honestly and fuck the haters.

Symphony of the night has been easily the dullest of the Vinnyvanias. It's not goofy enough and there's thousands of hours of people playing SOTN online.

Team Castlevania 64.

I know we enjoy looking at terrible games but I love watching Vinny play SOTN, especially since it's his first time and all.

Awesome! Sounds like a damn good time.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Building a PC is a life metaphor.

You don't know what the fuck to do and how to do it, and there are times when you just want to give up, but you get up and somehow do it and succeed, by just doing good enough.

Also, this is awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTCUVrSaw1E
Love hearing and watching old GB and Whiskey Media era videos.

One NewEgg video series and an hour of my time and I had my gaming PC built. It's really quite easy, I built my brothers and a friends PC's also. So don't let those numbskulls make you think it's rocket science lol.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
That was the most beautifully painful 4 hours of my life (luckily I had other stuff to do while the video played). Didn't Tested build Jeffs last PC on Happy Hour stream?

Just installing a video card and PSU left my hands a bloody mess (as in, there was literal bood). I don't think I could handle a full PC build.

Hats off to y'all with iron fingers. My envy is eternal.

Tubobutts

Just installing a video card and PSU left my hands a bloody mess (as in, there was literal bood). I don't think I could handle a full PC build.

I've only installed 3 video cards in my life and I don't understand how that happened to you.

Xater

I will never understand how people like Dan look at building a PC and think that is intimidating. When I build my first PC in the 90s without the internet I just looked at how it's done in a PC magazine and then did it myself. Never had any issue. This shit was never super complicated, there were just more fiddly parts. Now those are pretty much all gone.

How? I am not a handy man at all and never hurt myself.

I built my first PC when I was like 14 and I was so damn excited to try it. I don't know why people freak out

I've built maybe 6 since then, and I built mine and my wife's this last spring and it took maybe 2 hours total?

The only issue that's come up is bad motherboards during install, and I just exchange them and continue on my way

Tagyhag

I will never understand how people like Dan look at building a PC and think that is intimidating. When I build my first PC in the 90s without the internet I just looked at how it's done in a PC magazine and then did it myself. Never had any issue. This shit was never super complicated, there were just more fiddly parts. Now those are pretty much all gone.

If I'm Dan, and I'm going by what I witnessed this UPF, I'm going to feel very justified about never learning how to build one.

You also have to remember that Dan is stubborn.

I've only installed 3 video cards in my life and I don't understand how that happened to you.

How? I am not a handy man at all and never hurt myself.
I dunno, I get the impression I'm an edge case. Like, the PSU wasn't an issue, but the video card itself was sharp and pressing it into the slot took everything my fingers had. By the end, right after getting it slotted into place, I had 4 or so cuts in total--and not big ones, just enough to draw blood.
Is this you?

ue3WZTx.jpg

I cannot confirm or deny this.

Tubobutts

I was a bit older than most people the first time I built a PC. It was with a friend who also didn't really know what they were doing but we watched some videos on the internet and everything seemed to work out. It was pretty fun actually.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
When I saw that they uploaded a Hitman Elusive Target and saw that the video was almost 2 hours long I honestly didn't know what to expect. It was a fun video though Brad, I'd watch you grind out some more challenges. I'd love to see Brad and Dan try a Silent Assassin/Suit Only Run on any map. That would be fun.

patapuf

The first time i built mine it took like 4 hours and some youtube tutorial.

I was being super careful and double checked everything.

If you've done it once it's definitely not a big deal anymore tough.

Top Bottom