• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
They're leaving this on a cliffhanger? I've wasted the last...ten minutes that I've actually been paying full attention to the stream.

Final run time: 4 hours, 7 minutes (and that's not counting the pre-stream waiting screen, which makes it 4 hours, 37 minutes). That Pre-Thanksgiving UPF (which was apparently the longest UPF) clocked in at just under 4 hours, making tonight's UPF the new longest one.

def sim

I'm pretty confident Jeff can get this done in less than an hour much faster, from scratch, if he were at home watching some youtube videos for guidance. Streaming this and building somewhat blind super didn't help.

4hr long stream
this was beautiful mess
EevSTLQ.gif

It is easy and you'll have a fine time if you watch some helpful Youtube videos beforehand.

The problem here was the water cooling, which you don't need.

Indeed. This was just a unfortunate one off. I bet the handymen over at GBeast would never run into such issues.

2673471-thatscrazy.gif

Oh.

(ill be fine. I am basically building what a friend did a few months ago and he can help out. But I feel ok about not buying a water cooler now)

robotrock

Banned
Indeed. This was just a unfortunate one off. I bet the handymen over at GBeast would never run into such issues.

2673471-thatscrazy.gif

Oh.

(ill be fine. I am basically building what a friend did a few months ago and he can help out. But I feel ok about not buying a water cooler now)

Yeah you'll be fine. If you're concerned about running into GB Beast's problem, just make sure you're buying a compatible motherboard for your CPU. They spec'd out the PC wrong. Spec your PC right before you order the parts.

def sim

Yeah, I've found the cpu cooler/heatsink (water or air) to consistently give people the most trouble. Watching a video or having someone help is a must if you're new to PC building or haven't built many.

Also, always, always use pcpartpicker to avoid incompatible parts.

Phionoxx

There's no shame at all in watching a video or reading a guide for doing a PC build. There's tons of good resources out there. And yeah the CPU heatsinks can be a pain to install. Worth it in the end though for things to run cool and quiet.

Yeah you'll be fine. If you're concerned about running into GB Beast's problem, just make sure you're buying a compatible CPU/Motherboard combo. I think they spec'd out the PC wrong? Can't remember. Spec your PC right before you order the parts.

Everything should be grand.

But just for shits here is my build.

i5 6600k
Asus z170-A motherboard
Cooler master Hyoer 212 evo CPU cooling.
500gig SSD
GTX1060 6gb
Corsair 3000mhz DDR4 ram
650 watt PSU.

And still bouncing around case ideas.

I know everything fits together. Its 95% the build my pal did.

Only thing I am worried about is shorting out the motherboard with the case somehow. I keep seeing this mythical disaster mentioned but I dont understand it or how to avoid it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Only thing I am worried about is shorting out the motherboard with the case somehow. I keep seeing this mythical disaster mentioned but I dont understand it or how to avoid it.

you use standoffs. they're like little screws that prevent the case and board touching.

Just make sure your standoffs are installed before you put the mobo in. The mobo and case manuals will show you where to put them and the screws, plus there's a middle one that will hold your mobo in place if you've put it in right.

dhlt25

they had problem with the heatsink? but isn't modern water cooled CPU cooler really straight forward? last one I used was with my 2500k but it was very easy, much easier than setting up whole system water cooler

Top Bottom