• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

I'm not a Cubs fan, but wow that was an incredible moment. I'm so pumped for their fans. They deserved it. It's crazy that it's taken them 71 years (1945) to return to the World Series (which they haven't won in 108 years (1908)!). Then you have the Cleveland Indians, who (despite making the World Series in 1954, 1995, and 1997), have not won a World Series in 68 years (1948). Lots of Cubs fans in the video game industry, especially John Drake and Patrick Klepek. No matter who ends up winning, a long drought will end.

Salarians

I love cubs
Cva70Y-WEAAitks
🤔

I'm not a Cubs fan, but wow that was an incredible moment. I'm so pumped for their fans. They deserved it. It's crazy that it's taken them 71 years (1945) to return to the World Series (which they haven't won in 108 years (1908)!). Then you have the Cleveland Indians, who (despite making the World Series in 1954, 1995, and 1997), have not won a World Series in 68 years (1948). Lots of Cubs fans in the video game industry, especially John Drake and Patrick Klepek. No matter who ends up winning, a long drought will end.

Yep. I'm not going back to those years, but, having watched baseball for almost 40 years, it's quite a set of teams to have in the WS. I'm going to pull for Chicago, but, you can't argue Cleveland winning championship wouldn't be a big deal. Huge either way, really. Win win for people with no real horse in the race (like me, Phillies '08).

Yep. I'm not going back to those years, but, having watched baseball for almost 40 years, it's quite a set of teams to have in the WS. I'm going to pull for Chicago, but, you can't argue Cleveland winning championship wouldn't be a big deal. Huge either way, really. Win win for people with no real horse in the race (like me, Phillies '08).

Me, too. I mean, Chicago hadn't BEEN in a World Series since 1945. Cleveland has gone 3 times since their last win. Now, granted, Cleveland winning would be an end to a huge drought, plus it would be the city's second major sport championship in the same year (the Cavaliers won the NBA Finals earlier this year). The reason that is crazy is, prior to 2016, the last Cleveland team to win any sort of major championship was the Browns when they won the NFL Championship in 1964 This was before the Super Bowl even existed (started in the 1966/1967 season). So, yeah that would be neat and all for Cleveland. But 108 years, man. 108! The Cubs ending that drought would be legendary. Fun fact, the Cubs President of Baseball Operations is Theo Epstein, who in 2004 was the General Manager in Boston, when they broke "The Curse of the Bambino". The Red Sox, at the time, had not won a World Series since 1918 (when, oddly enough, they beat the Cubs). The manager of the Red Sox that year was Terry Francona, who happens to be the current manager of the Cleveland Indians. So many storylines!

daveo42

Banned
Watching most of these MPP in short succession shows how much less everyone but Dan cares about the the game since the start of the series. Either I'm just as tired as they are, or as things have gone on the second half of most tend to fall off.

The live show for MPP 5 tho...that was pretty great start to finish.

I bought premium just to watch them build a PC.

Now watch a true decent into madness over the course of seven Mario Party Parties.

Me, too. I mean, Chicago hadn't BEEN in a World Series since 1945. Cleveland has gone 3 times since their last win. Now, granted, Cleveland winning would be an end to a huge drought, plus it would be the city's second major sport championship in the same year (the Cavaliers won the NBA Finals earlier this year). The reason that is crazy is, prior to 2016, the last Cleveland team to win any sort of major championship was the Browns when they won the NFL Championship in 1964 This was before the Super Bowl even existed (started in the 1966/1967 season). So, yeah that would be neat and all for Cleveland. But 108 years, man. 108! The Cubs ending that drought would be legendary. Fun fact, the Cubs President of Baseball Operations is Theo Epstein, who in 2004 was the General Manager in Boston, when they broke "The Curse of the Bambino". The Red Sox, at the time, had not won a World Series since 1918 (when, oddly enough, they beat the Cubs). The manager of the Red Sox that year was Terry Francona, who happens to be the current manager of the Cleveland Indians. So many storylines!

I saw someone post on Twitter that the first World Series game broadcast on TV wasn't until 1947, so, there hasn't been a Cubs World Series game ever on TV. Which is NUTS. I appreciate that the Cubs fans seem to appreciate even getting to this point which might leave them without any gas for the WS, but, I think the players themselves will stay focused and get it done.

I saw someone post on Twitter that the first World Series game broadcast on TV wasn't until 1947, so, there hasn't been a Cubs World Series game ever on TV. Which is NUTS. I appreciate that the Cubs fans seem to appreciate even getting to this point which might leave them without any gas for the WS, but, I think the players themselves will stay focused and get it done.

Yup. Saw that, too. Another crazy fact someone pointed out is that this is the first time the Cubs will have played a World Series in an integrated MLB. In 1945, baseball was still whites only.

kuppy

So what's the best way to play those original DDR games nowadays? All the newer games don't have the catchy 90s tunes and aren't quite feeling the same, right?

Seems like PS3 backwards compatibility doesn't work for it, would have been too nice. So I guess it's just an original Japanese PlayStation or Dreamcast or some modding business. And then that needs to be hooked up somehow. Problematic, but maybe I'll think about buying some day.

Also, Jeff's DDR 2nd Mix review is a quick read.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just became premium member because of Metal Gear Scanlon.

What other premium content is archived on site that is worth watching? Give me some suggestions.

kiguel182

If I ever buy a PC I'm buying a pre built. No matter how easy people say it is it seems like the kind of thing I do not want to deal with.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I love building PCs, feels great when you're done and it's up and running. Worst thing is when one of the parts isn't working and you can't find the problem or have to wait a week for replacement.

If I ever buy a PC I'm buying a pre built. No matter how easy people say it is it seems like the kind of thing I do not want to deal with.

Its not hard, just time consuming and most people dont want to deal with the hassle. Say what you want about the technical acumen of the GB guys but we've had 2 PC builds which show why somone with litte to no knowledge would not want to fuck around with that.

f0rk

The PC I built myself 5 years ago works better than the pre built one I had before which would blue screen or randomly shut down every couple of days.

Probably due to build a new one, but I can still run most things OK.

Just got my Amazon Echo and messing around with all the commands. It can play the Bombcast just fine but refuses to hear Beastcast as anything other than Peachcast!

Mr. F

Banned
I dislike how people 'take away' from Civ 6 just because of how it looks

Outside of the first few Civ games, Civ has never been an ultra realistic series, so the new art style helps it more than detracts from it, to be fair.

I'll admit I wasn't too hot on the visual direction when it was first debuted, but it looks fantastic in person and I've completely come around.

I've barely gotten to sink any time in so far but It's certainly scratching the itch.

Salarians

Is that the remaster?
Yep. Of the BS1/2 disc, I've only played Minerva's Den and there was a lot of weird texture pop in here and there. That painting didn't improve until I was about a foot away. Some weirdness with audio too (e.g. doors opening with no SFX).

Infinite itself has been surprisingly ok so far. Super fast loading and mostly steady performance. I haven't seen the stuttering present in Digital Foundry's video, just a little when loading into a new area or saving. But we'll see how it goes when I'm further in. Infinite kind of reminds me of Capcom's recent rereleases; barebones but decent, aside from the lack of AF of PS4.

Burial at Sea (part 1) has disgustingly bad performance at times.

From my own experiences and what I've seen of Digital Foundry's videos, I would not recommend this package.

Top Bottom