• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookoo

Anyone know what ever happened to Thursday Night Throwdown? Did they decide to just stop doing that in favor of other content?

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
ibbiQajKgWOq6O.PNG

i7V7EzlhHivo1.gif

valeo

Brad is saying Max would call it a third leg because he is a toddler and would make that association sincerely. The problem is, why would Max be seeing Vinny's erect penis.

How awkward that you guys took the time to explain this in detail.

Bit creepy, really.

FStop7

Banned
Watched the XCOM QLEX. I see Firaxis hasn't reduced the cheapness factor: 3 or 4 missed 70+% shots in a row followed by an enemy taking out a guy halfway across the map even though he was in full cover behind a wall.

sixghost

Watched the XCOM QLEX. I see Firaxis hasn't reduced the cheapness factor: 3 or 4 missed 70+% shots in a row followed by an enemy taking out a guy halfway across the map even though he was in full cover behind a wall.

What would you have them do? Things like this will happen whenever probability is involved. You can try to solve it with some sort of pseudo-random thing that artificially increases or decreases odds based on past occurrences, but that has it's problems too. At the end of the day it evens out.

Serra

What would you have them do? Things like this will happen whenever probability is involved. You can try to solve it with some sort of pseudo-random thing that artificially increases or decreases odds based on past occurrences, but that has it's problems too. At the end of the day it evens out.

What bothers me is that the numbers you see arent the actual numbers,

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I think Ian will be a good addition to their content, but he needs to relax a bit. It's cool he knows a lot about Dark Souls, and it's fine to answer questions and provide a bit of backstory or whatever, but he's often too quick to explain things and sometimes explains too many little things that aren't necessary to know or fun to hear about. Also Rorie can get some things wrong, but it's tiresome to hear him be questioned and corrected about stuff like the effects of a ring or whatever. Sometimes it might be better to just agree and move on. In fairness Rorie can be just as bad in parts - saying Vinny should figure something out by himself, seconds before giving him pretty direct advice about what he should do.

Still really enjoying these videos though. I stopped playing in the dark skeleton-packed area, and it looks like I missed out on a lot more stuff.

Zaph

Yeah, Ian can be a little bit much during Dark Souls and Pathfinder, but I imagine being a new guy going on camera in front of thousands of die hard fans is slightly unnerving.

Also, because CBSi is being tight, him volunteering and learning to use the tricaster allowed Vinny and Drew to have more screen time. So we pretty much all owe him.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
No doubt and I don't envy his task of getting comfortable on camera/audio and mixing with all the other guys, and also worrying about getting people to like him. I already like him and think the more the merrier when it comes to their content, but it was just a bit much on the Dark Souls streams. He has gotten better though over those three videos, so I probably shouldn't even be complaining - he'll be fine after a bit more airtime.

LiK

Ian is fine. He's already warmed up commentating in the LOLS. Even Drew and Alexis took time to really open up on camera. They used to be pretty quiet and shy when they first started as well.

No Beyond Quick Look and most of the game reviewing part of the staff still hasnt played The Last of Us.

What does Giant Bomb have against Ellen Page?

Jintor

Breaking Brad is glorious.

The Brad jibe was hilarious

/edit ahahah Jeff comes in like twenty minutes later "Had HR come up, tell me they needed to do something about Brad?"

panda21

these spooky spoops videos now he has the ocoulus rift are amazing. its so intense

also that comment brad dropped out of nowhere during volgar... lesus christ lol

ultron87

Yeah, Ian can be a little bit much during Dark Souls and Pathfinder, but I imagine being a new guy going on camera in front of thousands of die hard fans is slightly unnerving.

I think the problem in Pathfinder is that Ian is coming in as an experienced player and everyone else, including the dungeon master, is starting as a beginner. So there's some conflict and adjustment that needs to happen there, especially since they are playing a beginner variant of the rules that glosses over a bunch of stuff.

Hopefully Rorie will have at least internalized the beginner rules a bit more before they play again. Because saying "let's just ignore opportunity attacks" caused me, as a DM, to twitch violently, since they're a pretty fundamental part of the entire combat system.

Brashnir

I think the problem in Pathfinder is that Ian is coming in as an experienced player and everyone else, including the dungeon master, is starting as a beginner. So there's some conflict and adjustment that needs to happen there, especially since they are playing a beginner variant of the rules that glosses over a bunch of stuff.

Hopefully Rorie will have at least internalized the beginner rules a bit more before they play again. Because saying "let's just ignore opportunity attacks" caused me, as a DM, to twitch violently, since they're a pretty fundamental part of the entire combat system.

I haven't played Pathfinder, but are AOO as broken with reach weapons in it as they were in D&D 3.5?

ArjanN

I think 99% of the fun they'll have with pathfinder will come out of the the stuff they make up themselves anyway, much like in the first episode.

ultron87

I haven't played Pathfinder, but are AOO as broken with reach weapons in it as they were in D&D 3.5?

I dunno. Never played 3.5. We started with 4th Ed and then went to Pathfinder.

My one player using a Reach weapon right now can't do anything that broken. But she isn't a huge power gamer or anything so there very well might be a way to abuse it. Her having such a large threat range does make moving creatures around occasionally pretty tough.

I think 99% of the fun they'll have with pathfinder will come out of the the stuff they make up themselves anyway, much like in the first episode.

Oh definitely. That's the entire reason to play a pen and paper game. But there just needs to be a baseline of rules that underpin the shenanigans otherwise things get unbalanced real quick.

Just as an example, if opportunity attacks aren't a thing Rogues become way way way better because there's no reason they wouldn't get to backstab every round. There are creative and gameplay ways to pretty much make that happen anyway, but it takes work instead of just freely walking behind enemies. If PCs get overpowered then you're never actually under any threat in combat so things just get boring.

Haunted

No Beyond Quick Look and most of the game reviewing part of the staff still hasnt played The Last of Us.

What does Giant Bomb have against Ellen Page?
I'm sure their tireless anti-Sony bias is the real culprit here. That Ellen Page prominently features in both games is just a coincidence.

I just want vita quick looks. I'm really hoping the Vitatv brings an end to this national nightmare that is the no vita quicklook policy over at giant bomb HQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom