• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #6 | You'd be hard pressed to find 10 better threads this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul187

Hahahah watching an Unprofessional Friday from a few months ago, everyone just ditching Alexis is amazing and cruel

While Second Life, and the dancing finale to UPF were great. This is my favourite ending. The buildup was so good. Alexis' reaction was great too.

FStop7

Banned
yeah, i'm not sure it is a joke. The line by Vinny about his "third leg" is a joke and then Brad just says the first thing that comes to mind. Which could lead to unintended speculation on why Vinny is showing his penis to his son.

Either that or I didn't get it either.

He made a dick joke that involved a man's 1 year old child on a livestream viewed by thousands of people.

sixghost

Well I mean, aside from the combined total of watching people play and talk about the game for about 4 hours straight, sure dude, I know nothing about it. Spot on. Aces all the way.

So then you watched the actual boss fight and noticed that the boss has literally one attack, and takes maybe 45 seconds to beat? It's not exactly Smough and Ornstein.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Saying that sucks is like saying Dark Souls sucks. You don't really want to say that do you?

Generally the checkpoints in Dark Souls are in a position that you can get back to the boss fairly quickly once you know the route. The one big exception to that is Four Kings, and I think that having that bonfire where it is for Four Kings was definitely bad.

Also, I didn't say Volgarr sucks, just that from I've seen I've got some gripes with it.

lets not get into this again

i am sorry you think you know more than you actually do after not actually doing anything with a product outside of watching others play it

Okay how about this.

Now I just played the game. I still think that. Now my opinions valid even though apparently before it wasn't. (?)

What part about having to physically press a "hit dudes with sword" button means that suddenly critiques are valid? Games are much more than just physical input and you can easily form valid opinions of mechanics based on seeing them.

So then you watched the actual boss fight and noticed that the boss has literally one attack, and takes maybe 45 seconds to beat? It's not exactly Smough and Ornstein.

Everythings easy when you know everything about it, but in a game that kills you so quickly you don't just encounter the enemy and go "Well obviously he's just going to go into a figure 8 pattern and electrify the water on the third loop."

When you first see a boss it doesn't take 45 seconds to beat because you have to learn that all through trial and error - which I'm totally cool with - but having to take 6 minutes to get to the point where you can try and learn again seems way tedious.

Jokab

When Vinny said "Yeah it was right after the Carmack interview" on Breaking Brad I just cracked up. Such a simple joke but so effective if you know the reference.

What part about having to physically press a "hit dudes with sword" button means that suddenly critiques are valid? Games are much more than just physical input and you can easily form valid opinions of mechanics based on seeing them.
I have no dog in this fight but this is not a good position to try and defend, especially when you're arguing gameplay mechanics.

Whether your critiques are valid are not are up to the person who is taking them in to consideration in the argument - whether their reasoning for declaring them in valid is good enough or not is up to third parties observing. And for the most part, ignoring a fairly fundamental aspect of interactive media when making those critiques is generally agreed to be a good reason to declare a critique invalid.

You can disagree, sure, but ultimately you're probably not going to convince everyone else that playing games is not required for criticizing them. If you feel it is, great, but that's also pretty damn insane.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I have no dog in this fight but this is not a good position to try and defend, especially when you're arguing gameplay mechanics.

Whether your critiques are valid are not are up to the person who is taking them in to consideration in the argument - whether their reasoning for declaring them in valid is good enough or not is up to third parties observing. And for the most part, ignoring a fairly fundamental aspect of interactive media when making those critiques is generally agreed to be a good reason to declare a critique invalid.

You can disagree, sure, but ultimately you're probably not going to convince everyone else that playing games is not required for criticizing them. If you feel it is, great, but that's also pretty damn insane.

I think the difference that you're not acknowledging is that I'm not and haven't been talking about the game as a whole, only the aspects which I feel I can understand by looking at it.

I'm not saying "Volgarr is a bad game" or "The controls seem too stiff" or "The roll doesn't work right" or anything like that because I don't think I could get enough information to know those things.

But I think that watching the videos alone provides more than enough information for a person to provide an opinion on "It seems like theres too much time spent doing X in order to attempt Y." I think I can watch the video, or you can watch the video, or anyone can watch the video and decide if for themselves they do or do not think that's something they would like.

To push the concept to an extreme to just sort of illustrate the point, if someone told you the next Super Mario game was going to have permadeath where if you die you have to start from 1-1, after watching lets say 4 hours of the game showing off the difficulty you'd be presented with, you could probably decide for yourself if that seemed like something you'd enjoy. You wouldn't say "Mario's jumps too floaty" but you could say "Man, that permadeath thing seems pretty whack."

Kinda disappointed GB is not willing to give Pokemon X/Y a go...

Patrick is the right age to be a lapsed fan
Jeff has a history of weird taste (Skylanders) and could like it
Brad/Vinny have busrides and could fit in an halndheld game.

....however they all see dismissive of the series.

I have not played Pokemone in years, but am intrested in this one. You;d think one of them would try it too!

AKA: WHY DO THESE PEOPLE NOT LIKE WHAT I LIKE!!

Kerned

Banned

Sure, games are more than physical input, but the physical input is still a crucial part of the experience. Implying that you can understand how a game feels to play simply by watching a couple of videos is very similar to claiming that you can appreciate a piece of music simply by reading about it. It's not a strong argument.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Kinda disappointed GB is not willing to give Pokemon X/Y a go...

Patrick is the right age to be a lapsed fan
Jeff has a history of weird taste (Skylanders) and could like it
Brad/Vinny have busrides and could fit in an halndheld game.

....however they all see dismissive of the series.

I have not played Pokemone in years, but am intrested in this one. You;d think one of them would try it too!

AKA:

Jeffs Tumblr

Anonymous asked:Who in the office is being forced to play pokemon?
I was all set to play some of it, but it hasn’t shown up yet.

Sure, games are more than physical input, but the physical input is still a crucial part of the experience. Implying that you can understand how a game feels to play simply by watching a couple of videos is very similar to claiming that you can appreciate a piece of music simply by reading about it. It's not a strong argument.

I never said that I understood how the game feels to control.

Curufinwe

Generally the checkpoints in Dark Souls are in a position that you can get back to the boss fairly quickly once you know the route. The one big exception to that is Four Kings, and I think that having that bonfire where it is for Four Kings was definitely bad.

The Souls games would be better if there were always checkpoints within a minute or two of boss fights.

Kerned

Banned
J
I never said that I understood how the game feels to control.

I don't want to get into too much of a semantics debate, but I didn't say "control," I said "play." What I mean by "play" in this case is the overall experience of actively playing a game, as opposed to just passively watching it. Not just the controls specifically, but also the moment-to-moment feeling of playing it, like how it makes you feel emotionally and intellectually. When you are actually engaged with the game firsthand, the act of running 6 minutes to get to a boss might make a lot more sense in context. It might be fun instead of tedious.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't want to get into too much of a semantics debate, but I didn't say "control," I said "play." What I mean by "play" in this case is the overall experience of actively playing a game, as opposed to just passively watching it. Not just the controls specifically, but also the moment-to-moment feeling of playing it, like how it makes you feel emotionally and intellectually. When you are actually engaged with the game firsthand, the act of running 6 minutes to get to a boss might make a lot more sense in context. It might be fun instead of tedious.

I think that if there were variety I would agree, but with Volgarr it plays out 100% identically every time. Most of the areas seem to have one real "solution" with how you're supposed to deal with them and when dealing with them pretty much ideally, it still takes a while.

My issue is that there seems to be a long stretch where there isn't really room for you to do anything new, or for you to learn or progress in anyway. What you're doing is the same as what you did last time, you just have to do it that way again. If you stray too far from what you did, you'll get hit or die and then you have to restart.

I'd agree that you can't always look at something and know for certain if it would be fun to actually PLAY, but in this case I think you can see the repetition and lack of really learning anything new and know whether it seems like something you'd like.

There's only so many secrets and so many ways to deal with the conflicts the game presents to you. Once you've discovered the secrets and figured out the ideal way for you to get past that scenario, you're just doing precise busy work until you can spend some time learning something new.

sixghost

The Souls games would be better if there were always checkpoints within a minute or two of boss fights.

I don't agree with this at all. The game is balanced knowing that you don't have a pre-boss checkpoint. The run up to the boss and the boss are one and the same. If you separated them into two discrete areas through checkpoints, you'd just need to rebalanced both areas to be more difficult to retain the same feeling. Megaman isn't a worse game for not having checkpoints before bosses.

Also, in both Dark Souls and Volgarr, doing extremely well in the area preceding a boss fight can be a strategy itself against the boss. The first time I beat the World 2 boss in Volgarr it was because I had a great run before that and had Firesword + the anvil thing. I practically instagibbed the boss the first time he electrocuted the water.

FStop7

Banned
When Vinny said "Yeah it was right after the Carmack interview" on Breaking Brad I just cracked up. Such a simple joke but so effective if you know the reference.

You mean the Carmack interview with the prototype Oculus Rift from E3 2008, right when Brad joined Giant Bomb?

eot

Banned
Okay how about this.

Now I just played the game. I still think that. Now my opinions valid even though apparently before it wasn't. (?)

Are you for real? Of course it matters if you've played the game or not, if watching a game were the same as playing it there wouldn't be much point in playing them would there?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Are you for real? Of course it matters if you've played the game or not, if watching a game were the same as playing it there wouldn't be much point in playing them would there?

Read my other responses in this thread for the context of what I said because your response makes me think that you're viewing it completely out of context.

sixghost

Did they change small parts of the Volgarr levels in an update? I'm noticing some small differences in enemy placement in some parts.

Also, if Brad reads this, using the double jump in Volgarr resets your spear. So you can jump, throw the spear, double jump, immediately throw another spear, then throw a spear as you land to do a bunch of ranged damage. You can do this when climbing up ropes to safely attack enemies in awkward positions.

*edit, oh he realized that in the video like 1 minute after writing this

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Guys, did they get rid of all the old archived videos of Button Mashing, On The Spot, and various other shows from the Gerstmann-era of Gamespot? I don't know how to find them on the new Gamespot site. :(

Rapstah

I thought Jeff was opposed to features that could make them look like "that site that plays bad games and yells at them".

Alex is probably the guy though.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I thought Jeff was opposed to features that could make them look like "that site that plays bad games and yells at them".

Alex is probably the guy though.

With Alex involved, it would be "That site that plays bad games while yelling inwardly at themselves"

It's a totally different angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom