• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Zafir

Oh right, I remember the woods from the Shenmue 2 speedrun at AGDQ or whenever it was. That shit lasted SO LOOOOOOOONG.

The funny thing with the speedrun of Shenmue 2 is, the woods takes up a good proportion of the run because there's just no ways to skip it. You can skip most of Kowloon through an out of bounds exploit. You can't skip a significant chunk of Aberdeen/Wan Chai like you can with Kowloon, but you can optimise your timings and skip enough that it only takes like an hour. The final disk though? Nope.

Ryo is starting to remind me of Aiden Pearce.

"Ryo we've just gone through this terrible tragedy, promise me you won't do anything foolish."
"Yeah sure lol" *beats the shit out of some bikers*

Zafir

I enjoyed this episode a lot more. Taking the piss out of the game and all that, instead of half the discussion being random off topic stuff. :p

I think they also got the hang of the game a bit more as well.

You aren't seriously arguing that vague line is an instruction to talk to people, are you?

I was going for a bit of a silly tone but I get how that wouldn't come across in text. Re-watching the early going of Shenmue again with the GameInformer LP it really does jump out at you how strongly Ryo's father urges him to maintain his friendships. I think there's like 3 separate moments where it comes up. The dojo flashback in particular.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
"The game doesn't tell you to explore or talk to any of those people"

"Keep friends, the ones you love, close to you" is literally the last thing your father says before he dies. It might have been hinted at, just ever so slightly.

I kinda appreciate the subtlety, though I admit I completely tossed away that line as meaningless myself, it does make sense.

But what sort of friendships can you maintain anyway? All I've seen is to be sure to ask Tom where to go next every time there's a new storyline objective, even if you already know where to go. Most of these side activities seem pretty solitary.

Zafir

I kinda appreciate the subtlety, though I admit I completely tossed away that line as meaningless myself, it does make sense.

But what sort of friendships can you maintain anyway? All I've seen is to be sure to ask Tom where to go next every time there's a new storyline objective, even if you already know where to go. Most of these side activities seem pretty solitary.

You can phone your friends up. Nozomi for example has some interesting dialogue if you keep phoning her up every day.

The guy friends, I forget their names, there's a few scenes you can get with them. You can phone them too, forget if that leads to anything though.

There's some interesting dialogue in relation to some of the other girls you go to high school with too, I believe you have to find them hanging around.

Disagree that the friends line has any actual positive ramifications on the gameplay or story. If anything, it's the opposite but then we get into spoilers territory.

Guys I need help. I got the nostalgia bug for the Dreamcast watching Giantbomb's endurance run and I spent $200 on Amazon buying Dreamcast stuff. What am I doing with my life?

Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
3 Dreamcast controllers
Jet Grind Radio
Space Channel 5
NFL Blitz 2000
Rayman 2
Mortal Kombat Gold
Shenmue
Tony Hawk 1 and 2
Soul Calibur
Marvel vs Capcom 1
VGA cable
Sega Rally 2
Chu Chu Rocket
Hydro Thunder
Dreamcast Console

Guys I need help. I got the nostalgia bug for the Dreamcast watching Giantbomb's endurance run and I spent $200 on Amazon buying Dreamcast stuff. What am I doing with my life?

Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
3 Dreamcast controllers
Jet Grind Radio
Space Channel 5
NFL Blitz 2000
Rayman 2
Mortal Kombat Gold
Shenmue
Tony Hawk 1 and 2
Soul Calibur
Marvel vs Capcom 1
VGA cable
Sega Rally 2
Chu Chu Rocket
Hydro Thunder
Dreamcast Console

Nice, but you forgot to buy Phantasy Star and Skies of Arcadia. How dare you?

And I love this Endurance Run, it's a great watch during my lunch break every day. I just wish they paid a little more attention to the dialogs sometimes.
There's a laugh out loud moment in every episode, this time it was fucking Mario, what the hell were they thinking?

And I don't think Vinny is that bad at the game. I'm someone who likes to explore every corner of the games I play but I don't know that I would feel compelled to do it in Shenmue. I do understand the frustration of the fans but looking at the first episode, they were clearly going into it with an open mind but it's just not grabbing them. But the videos are hilarious and that's the most important for me.

Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
3 Dreamcast controllers
Jet Grind Radio
Space Channel 5
NFL Blitz 2000
Rayman 2
Mortal Kombat Gold
Shenmue
Tony Hawk 1 and 2
Soul Calibur
Marvel vs Capcom 1
VGA cable
Sega Rally 2
Chu Chu Rocket
Hydro Thunder
Dreamcast Console

Dreamcast is my favorite system. It only had a ~2 year lifespan, but during that time it had an incredible game every other week. My Dreamcast collection is close to 50 games. I wouldn't consider Dreamcast a failure, but rather a star that shined bright and burned out.

Last edited:
Nice, but you forgot to buy Phantasy Star and Skies of Arcadia. How dare you?

Don't forget about Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Phantasy Star Online, and Skies of Arcadia. If I recall, Skies of Arcadia is still really expensive.

It looks like Skies of Arcadia is running for $57 used, which isn't too bad. I'll probably pick it up.

I'm super interested in trying Phantasy Star Online using a fan server. It doesn't look like it's too much trouble to get it working. Sylverant looks like the best option.

Diancecht

Okay, legit question for you Shenmue fans. Did the creators of this game in on the joke? They realized how dumb these accents sound like and fucking awful the dialogs were, right? Please don't tell me that they played this straight and thought all of it were cool sounding or anything. Please tell me this piece of garbage was a parody.

Hasney

Okay, legit question for you Shenmue fans. Did the creators of this game in on the joke? They realized how dumb these accents sound like and fucking awful the dialogs were, right? Please don't tell me that they played this straight and thought all of it were cool sounding or anything. Please tell me this piece of garbage was a parody.

It's mostly a bad direct translation. The sub's are slightly better in 2 and you don't have to deal with the stupid voices.

If you watched a lot of dubbed kung fu movies, it was the same thing.

It's from a time when localization work wasn't the best. "This guy are sick" and all that. Back then there was no standard for localization and it was just all over the place.

Also, Ryo repeats a lot of stuff because of the way the audio files are configured. So his "yeah", is often taking from the audio files within context if I recall. You'll notice it's the same "yeah". They aren't recording every line of dialogue. So the VA would often come off as wooden because it's from a clip outside the context. Just the needed word which the audio file drags out of its library. Another thing, Yu Suzuki wanted English voice actors who sounded just like the Japanese version counter part, or at least similar, even if they weren't exactly trained professional voice actors.

As said before, the game sounds and is written much better in Japanese.

Diancecht

Got it, thanks.

There are some great ideas in the game but overall it feels unbaked. It's like they threw bunch of different ideas together and never considered optimizing them for actual gameplay.

Karkador

Banned

Voice acting in games from the 90s was often pretty bad. There are examples of great game VO from that era, but they are moreso the exception than the norm. Nowadays, most games have good VO (and at a decent audio quality, not super compressed), so the game has certainly aged in the audio department....but so did a lot of other games.

I found the voices flawed at the time, but it was a sort of weirdness that seemed to fit, and the entire game being voiced was more so the interesting feature than the fact that everybody sounded like a badly dubbed movie.

It's like they threw bunch of different ideas together and never considered optimizing them for actual gameplay.

How so? For an experimental game of this caliber I think they succeeded in many ways. It's not perfect of course. But then I try to replay System Shock 2 in this day and age the controls are dog shit. So taken within the context of the time, I think it's fine and still find games like System Shock 2 and Shenmue 1/2 to be highly impressive feats. Games like this, or playing Metal Gear Solid 1 without a better way to aim shows that it's possible to enjoy and love games from other eras as long as you recognize and can look past their flaws. I think Shenmue 1 is one of those games, and to its credit, its sequel handles just about everything better like a sequel should. Everything except npcs, really.

Zafir

Bad voice direction combined with questionable translations.

It's worth noting that back then a lot of dubs for Japanese games were actually done in Japan. So consequently the person doing the direction would have generally been Japanese, and probably hadn't actually met people from those respective regions, outside of seeing the typical stereotypes. So naturally they direct people to do that kind of stuff, lol.

There was a Silent Hill 2 lets play stream the other year where Guy Cihi the guy who played James Sunderland in the original version spoke quite a lot about the voice acting process for SIlent Hill 2. He mentioned some stuff about Shenmue in it as well, because apparently the dub had been done fairly recently to it, and quite a few people had done voices in both. I dunno if it's been archived anywhere, but it's worth a watch if you can find.

Karkador

Banned
Got it, thanks.

There are some great ideas in the game but overall it feels unbaked. It's like they threw bunch of different ideas together and never considered optimizing them for actual gameplay.

I disagree, I think Shenmue is a fully-baked game. It started as a Saturn game, so they were working on it for a while. The game was experimenting with early "open world" ideas in its own way. I think what we got is pretty much what were were always meant to get, it just didn't really catch on in the game industry and the open-world genre, perhaps not until recently.

If you want to get a good sense of a lot of the stuff the GB crew has been missing I'd recommend watching a bit of the GameInformer "super replay" run. The difference is night and day. But yeah as Zafir mentioned above characters will give new dialog at times. There's some cool phone calls, especially with Nozomi. Feeding the cat in particular leads to more character moments than you'd think. Most importantly actually moving between these destinations increases the chance that you'll trigger a side event.

For instance if you were exploring in Dobuita, hit a time sensitive objective, then went to go feed the cat this event might happen.

Or if you went home early one night to search through the house, talk to Ine or spar with fuk-san you might get this event.

All the empty spaces in the journal are either specific leads you didnt get or events/ side quests like this.

"Wait, what did you just promise?"
I dunno, try listening to what they're saying, maybe.

I'm not going to defend Shenmue on it's shoddy localized clue gathering, but you could cut half the headaches in this game if you locked down your random anecdotes about wrestling and lime disease and listened to the npcs you're trying to interact with.

Yeah, some of them have nothing useful to say, but on the occasions that they do give out useful info (or story) you're seemingly not absorbing anything.

I don't know if I'm remembering it wrong, but Jeff and Vinny knew how to balance funny as fuck banter with paying attentiom to npcs.

Ep6 won't download on the GB Buddy app. It says I need a Premium sub (which I have), which isn't needed for the series! Anyone else got this?

"Wait, what did you just promise?"
I dunno, try listening to what they're saying, maybe.

I'm not going to defend Shenmue on it's shoddy localized clue gathering, but you could cut half the headaches in this game if you locked down your random anecdotes about wrestling and lime disease and listened to the npcs you're trying to interact with.

Yeah, some of them have nothing useful to say, but on the occasions that they do give out useful info (or story) you're seemingly not absorbing anything.

I don't know if I'm remembering it wrong, but Jeff and Vinny knew how to balance funny as fuck banter with paying attentiom to npcs.

I have to agree. This was the first episode where I was annoyed by the constant talking over the dialogue with unrelated anecdotes and dumb Dan questions. Not only were they missing important information but also ruining potentially funny moments from some of the bad voice acting.

Still fun but I wish they were a bit more focused like they were earlier. I wish they tried exploring the world more while waiting for something to happen rather than just running around aimlessly or waiting to sleep.

I still think Yakuza would have been a better choice though... :p

FStop7

Banned
It's in the can so this is pointless, but yeah: their lack of paying attention to the game is holding their progress back just as much as any of the game's flaws are.

They were literally told that Charlie "always" wears a black leather jacket and sunglasses. And somehow they convinced themselves one of those two biker dudes was Charlie even though neither of them matched the description. Because they were too busy riffing about Third Eye Blind or Centrum Silver commercials. Either that or they're doing the DarksydePhil thing and ignoring the game on purpose.

This is the 1st episode where I have to say "Not bad!" I'm very glad that they discovered that they can zoom in and interact with some of the stuff at home. Too bad they didn't discover anything interactive on Fuku's desk. I am still annoyed that they don't follow through on some ideas like going to every business. They almost didn't go into Mario's, but I'm so glad they did. People tend to love Mario.

I have to agree. This was the first episode where I was annoyed by the constant talking over the dialogue with unrelated anecdotes and dumb Dan questions. Not only were they missing important information but also ruining potentially funny moments from some of the bad voice acting.

Still fun but I wish they were a bit more focused like they were earlier. I wish they tried exploring the world more while waiting for something to happen rather than just running around aimlessly or waiting to sleep.

I still think Yakuza would have been a better choice though... :p

That's where I've been coming from with how their playstyle this time around is bugging me. It's funnier when they're riffing on the game itself (Fireboylt notwithstanding as a wonderful exception): see fucking with Fuku-san this episode or the Mario bit. But there's been a lot of times where Alex and Dan are off instead arguing because Dan decided out of nowhere to ask if math was invented or discovered, and it seemed like only Vinny was half-paying attention to the dialogue (or at least the only one reacting). The infamous "Those sailors are pretty big... I'd stick to your regular drinking hole... if ya know what I mean" line is one of the funniest in the game, but I think Alex only kinda noticed it the second time they talked to him. Then there was a part in one episode where a woman said that sometimes sailors are in the Sakuragaoka park before night (I have no idea if this is even true or not) and Vinny had to interrupt the discussion of whatever to say "hey she has something new." They then proceeded to get lost while looking for the park... in Dobuita, not Sakuragaoka. And then in like this episode, there was the "what did we promise" and Vinny being the only one who seemingly heard the part about how the taxi driver getting fucking fired and having to move away because of his tattoo that really drove home the whole Japanese taboo thing they were talking about, because Alex and Dan had already moved onto an anecdote about tattoos.

The banter is funny, and this episode was great for that, but there was a stretch of episodes leading up to 6 where it felt like they were practically recording a podcast while an unrelated game was running in the background.

(The only time I've ever actually thought "okay Shenmue isn't that bad, come on" is when Alex will snark on some aspect of the game that seems perfectly fine like two seconds after he first sees it, like having a phone in Ryo's house, or the pool minigame, or him and Dan acting like the combat system - which is just straight up Virtua Fighter modified with some simplification and crowd control stuff - is somehow terrible or just passable for the time period when I honestly can't think of anything even approaching that at that time)

I don't like Alex and Dan or their banter. Honestly, this play through makes me question why people even like Giant Bomb. The entire reeks of unprofessionalism and while I realize that's GB's "thing" there are more than enough alternatives you could be into ranging from EZA to Game Informer or Vice instead. GB seems like people who should just get into comedy. If you're going to be entertaining at least do so within the context of what you're playing. It's like watching a bad parody of MST3K.

hamchan

I don't like Alex and Dan or their banter. Honestly, this play through makes me question why people even like Giant Bomb. The entire reeks of unprofessionalism and while I realize that's GB's "thing" there are more than enough alternatives you could be into ranging from EZA to Game Informer or Vice instead. GB seems like people who should just get into comedy. If you're going to be entertaining at least do so within the context of what you're doing. It's like watching a bad parody of MST3K.

Because I don't find all those other people on those sites (besides Vice because that basically is Giant Bomb 2.0) as likable, funny, as honest or relatable as the Giant Bomb people. I'd rather watch Giant Bomb be bad or "unprofessional" at games because it's as simple as me liking them much more than those other people.

Perhaps waiting for Shenmue III is Shenmue III

Maybe we're supposed to knock on our neighbours door and say" Hey, do you anything about the Shenmue III?" "I'm in a hurry, go ask someone else will yer."

Yeah, okay, if your contributions are "I don't like these guys" and "I don't understand why anyone does" then I think it's time to drop the series.

Zomba13

That's where I've been coming from with how their playstyle this time around is bugging me. It's funnier when they're riffing on the game itself (Fireboylt notwithstanding as a wonderful exception): see fucking with Fuku-san this episode or the Mario bit. But there's been a lot of times where Alex and Dan are off instead arguing because Dan decided out of nowhere to ask if math was invented or discovered, and it seemed like only Vinny was half-paying attention to the dialogue (or at least the only one reacting). The infamous "Those sailors are pretty big... I'd stick to your regular drinking hole... if ya know what I mean" line is one of the funniest in the game, but I think Alex only kinda noticed it the second time they talked to him. Then there was a part in one episode where a woman said that sometimes sailors are in the Sakuragaoka park before night (I have no idea if this is even true or not) and Vinny had to interrupt the discussion of whatever to say "hey she has something new." They then proceeded to get lost while looking for the park... in Dobuita, not Sakuragaoka. And then in like this episode, there was the "what did we promise" and Vinny being the only one who seemingly heard the part about how the taxi driver getting fucking fired and having to move away because of his tattoo that really drove home the whole Japanese taboo thing they were talking about, because Alex and Dan had already moved onto an anecdote about tattoos.

The banter is funny, and this episode was great for that, but there was a stretch of episodes leading up to 6 where it felt like they were practically recording a podcast while an unrelated game was running in the background.

Pretty much how I feel. The run is still entertaining and still funny but I feel it is a bit too unfocussed. Like I understand there is a fair bit of downtime and "make your own fun" to the game while waiting for times to trigger events, but when they are just talking about random shit over important or helpful dialouge and not taking it in or paying attention it can then get a bit annoying when they run around not knowing what to do or where to go and then blaming the game and not their lack of attention.

I don't know if it's a Shenmue thing or a Dan thing though. Like I've never played Shenmue, maybe like 2 hours or Shenmue 2 one time years ago so I'm not well versed in the mind scape of someone actually playing the game, so maybe it is the game that prompts confusion and lack of focus or maybe it's Dan and his "what are tattoos? how do you get them? do you have any? what's a yakuza? were the mafia criminals?".

Because I don't find all those other people on those sites (besides Vice because that basically is Giant Bomb 2.0) as likable, funny, as honest or relatable as the Giant Bomb people. I'd rather watch Giant Bomb be bad or "unprofessional" at games because it's as simple as me liking them much more than those other people.

It just seems like people who have zero interest in games or how to play them. It's don't care mode 24/7. And if they don't give a shit why should I? GB is at their best as an honest game source, like Jeff's review of Fallout 4 or what ever. So in a way they're refreshing from the typical PR angle most game media outlets take. I can get them not liking Shenmue; it's a divisive game. My problem is the apathy. It's hardly the first time I've had this problem with giant bomb, and I already know the site isn't for me. But the appeal confuzes me. Giant Bomb could change their name to No Fucks Given (about anything) and I wouldn't bat an eye. Let's talk about math.

kiguel182

I think focusing more on the game would help. It's obvious that at times Alex is kinda tired of the game so he doesn't mind entertaining Dan.

In regards to playing the game they are still exploring and stuff. If they don't find something well, it happens.

Of course I don't mind non game banter because I like those guys but jokes related to the game would be better. Of course they are enduring Shenmue for hours on end so they do have to entertain themselves I guess.

kiguel182

It just seems like people who have zero interest in games or how to play them. It's don't care mode 24/7. And if they don't give a shit why should I? GB is at their best as an honest game source, like Jeff's review of Fallout 4 or what ever. I can get them not liking Shenmue; it's a divisive game. My problem is the apathy. It's hardly the first time I've had this problem with giant bomb, and I already know the site isn't for me. But the appeal confuzes me. Giant Bomb could change their name to No Fucks Given (about anything) and I wouldn't bat an eye. Let's talk about math.

GB gives fucks about tons of stuff. You just don't know what you are talking about. This is a tired ass argument.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't like Alex and Dan or their banter. Honestly, this play through makes me question why people even like Giant Bomb. The entire reeks of unprofessionalism and while I realize that's GB's "thing" there are more than enough alternatives you could be into ranging from EZA to Game Informer or Vice instead. GB seems like people who should just get into comedy. If you're going to be entertaining at least do so within the context of what you're playing. It's like watching a bad parody of MST3K.

It just seems like people who have zero interest in games or how to play them. It's don't care mode 24/7. And if they don't give a shit why should I? GB is at their best as an honest game source, like Jeff's review of Fallout 4 or what ever. So in a way they're refreshing from the typical PR angle most game media outlets take. I can get them not liking Shenmue; it's a divisive game. My problem is the apathy. It's hardly the first time I've had this problem with giant bomb, and I already know the site isn't for me. But the appeal confuzes me. Giant Bomb could change their name to No Fucks Given (about anything) and I wouldn't bat an eye. Let's talk about math.

If you don't like the website, the staff, their content and their output style, why even bother being this involved or defensive in a website about a feature on said website featuring the staff from said website ?

It's not making any sense .... what are you even doing in this topic my man ?

Alienfan

It just seems like people who have zero interest in games or how to play them. It's don't care mode 24/7. And if they don't give a shit why should I? GB is at their best as an honest game source, like Jeff's review of Fallout 4 or what ever. I can get them not liking Shenmue; it's a divisive game. My problem is the apathy. It's hardly the first time I've had this problem with giant bomb, and I already know the site isn't for me. But the appeal confuzes me. Giant Bomb could change their name to No Fucks Given (about anything) and I wouldn't bat an eye. Let's talk about math.

I'm not sure how else you could do a play-through of Shenmue without giving no fucks, the game is dated to hell, janky and is pretty much an over the top soap opera. But as for the rest of your post, this apathetic attitude doesn't extend to all of their content, beastcast has terrific video game commentary, demo-derby is pretty much an outlet for Jeff to drop his early-millennial video game knowledge, unprofessional fridays (despite the name) highlights indie gems, and their E3 coverage is the most developer friendly available . They literally had a 1hr long + video from a Naughty Dog developer explaining the cell processor of the PS3 a couple of months back (and their EX quick looks give the developers time to show of their game with commentary). The industry takes itself way to seriously sometimes, and other times not serious enough - that's where GiantBomb comes in for me, it's a mix of the informative and humour; they don't downplay serious issues the industry faces, but they're also not afraid to acknowledge how absurd this space can be.

Phu

Banned
I really hope they do Shenmue II at some point but they should probably take a break in between as to not get super-burnt out.

But what next? Sonic Adventure? Kingdom Hearts? What other beloved classics could they play?

Real Talk: Endurance Runs should never be more than two people. If it was any pair of the guys they would be more invested in the game, they would be getting lost less, discovering more interesting content, etc.

I'll keep watching, and there definitely have been some memorable moments, but I prefer the more focused, "intimate" two-man Endurance Runs.

Zomba13

I really hope they do Shenmue II at some point but they should probably take a break in between as to not get super-burnt out.

But what next? Sonic Adventure? Kingdom Hearts? What other beloved classics could they play?

They could stop messing around with a game they don't want to play and start playing more Symphony of the Night. All the Castlevania playthroughs have been fantastic, even shitty Bloodlines was fun to watch.

Phu

Banned
They could stop messing around with a game they don't want to play and start playing more Symphony of the Night. All the Castlevania playthroughs have been fantastic, even shitty Bloodlines was fun to watch.

This is prerecorded and VinnyVania has always had an inconsistent schedule so I don't think not doing it would have affected anything in the Castlevania pipeline. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zafir

(The only time I've ever actually thought "okay Shenmue isn't that bad, come on" is when Alex will snark on some aspect of the game that seems perfectly fine like two seconds after he first sees it, like having a phone in Ryo's house, or the pool minigame, or him and Dan acting like the combat system - which is just straight up Virtua Fighter modified with some simplification and crowd control stuff - is somehow terrible or just passable for the time period when I honestly can't think of anything even approaching that at that time)

Yeah, I'm in total agreement there.

I think that's what's been annoying me more than them just not enjoying the game. I'm totally fine with people hating the game, hell it can be funnier if they do. There's a load to rag on with the game, especially with the so bad it's funny dialogue. The issue with some of the first episodes was that they were just totally going off on a tangent far too much, with conversations completely unrelated to the game, and then not even paying attention to the game due to them. I enjoy them discussing stuff, but I'd watch the podcasts or unprofessional Friday's stream for that, that's what they're there for anyway.

I hope the series continues like today's episode, rather than the ones came before it. I mean there was still some random chatter, but they mostly got on with the game and you know discussed the game for the most part. Instead of going on about whatever popped into Dan's head at that point in time.
Pretty much how I feel. The run is still entertaining and still funny but I feel it is a bit too unfocussed. Like I understand there is a fair bit of downtime and "make your own fun" to the game while waiting for times to trigger events, but when they are just talking about random shit over important or helpful dialouge and not taking it in or paying attention it can then get a bit annoying when they run around not knowing what to do or where to go and then blaming the game and not their lack of attention.

I don't know if it's a Shenmue thing or a Dan thing though. Like I've never played Shenmue, maybe like 2 hours or Shenmue 2 one time years ago so I'm not well versed in the mind scape of someone actually playing the game, so maybe it is the game that prompts confusion and lack of focus or maybe it's Dan and his "what are tattoos? how do you get them? do you have any? what's a yakuza? were the mafia criminals?".
I think it's a bit of a combined issue.

Dan just has that kind of mind anyway. Alex doesn't have much vested interest in the series, so he ends up getting swept up in Dan's random conversations. Vinny can't really pay attention to the game while that's happening because they're talking over the game. While all of that is happening they've totally missed what the game said, which causes even more confusion of where they're meant to be going, which in turns means they miss timings for the game which can be quite punishing (ie waiting the entire day for the Bar to open up). Missing the timings means Vinny gets pissed off because well, waiting can suck, and now Vinny gets involved in the conversations as well because of the waiting problem.

Spaghetti

Haven't watched #7 yet, but gleaning from the comments they're starting to get the hang of the game more, right?

I did see a bit about not listening to NPC information though, so I still feel pretty vindicated in saying Shenmue is better played in a concentrated environment.

Phu

Banned
Haven't watched #7 yet, but gleaning from the comments they're starting to get the hang of the game more, right?

I did see a bit about not listening to NPC information though, so I still feel pretty vindicated in saying Shenmue is better played in a concentrated environment.

They were doing fine until Vinny realized there was over 24 hours until their next story beat.

I'm so glad they recorded all of it already.
So glad.

Same.

Top Bottom