• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb are bringing back the Endurance Run... and it's Shenmue.

Spaghetti

Drifting in a forklift would probably be incredibly out of character for the game at that point, so although I'm a confirmed drifting/arcade racer lover, I'm not sure I'd want it in Shenmue anyway.

Given the
multiple
driving sections in Shenmue, it's kind of no surprise Yu went immediately into making F355 Challenge immediately after.

orient

Neo Member
In what world are the fighting animations/system bad?! At least for a role playing game.

And seconds after that comment, it shows Ryo adjusting his weight/position as he puts his foot on a body of a fallen enemy.

This game came out in 2000.

I know, and 1999 in Japan. It's crazy if you think about it -- people were going nuts over Nathan Drake adjusting his footing under uneven surfaces and it's like, Ryo Hazuki was bending his knee to place one foot on a curb a decade ago, son!

Yu Suzuki didn't direct Daytona. Nagoshi did. Forklift driving doesn't have drifting. How Vinny played the race in today's ep is how you're supposed to play it: by easing corners with a little gas and not hitting anything.

You're kinda reaching there buddy.

Reaching for what exactly? I didn't say he was racing badly. I just found it odd that in a game with (at the time) an unprecedented level of detail, and a deep fighting system, it was to be assumed that it didn't have a drafting system for the forklift races.

Also, I mean drafting!

Drifting in a forklift would probably be incredibly out of character for the game at that point, so although I'm a confirmed drifting/arcade racer lover, I'm not sure I'd want it in Shenmue anyway.

Given the
multiple
driving sections in Shenmue, it's kind of no surprise Yu went immediately into making F355 Challenge immediately after.

Drafting or slipstreaming is a technique where two vehicles or other moving objects are caused to align in a close group reducing the overall effect of drag due to exploiting the lead object's slipstream.

Jintor

i'll tell you what shenmue

i don't really want to play shenmue 1 but i'm pretty open to watching these chuckleheads play shenmue 2

you know if i'm being honest this bit of shenmue is giving me modern persona vibes with less dungeon crawling

Wait until u see shenmue 2. Social link central. The last 3 hours of shen 2 is the mother of all social links.

Also, long time no see jintor. Hope u and the pgaf crew are doing well.

They try to leave to trigger the next day.

Game doesn't let them.

They go to the places where people go to try and trigger something, anything.

Everyone walking around is too busy for them.

Eventually game points them to Harbour Lounge, somewhere they have already been, as somewhere the NPCs they need will be.

They are not there, just like they weren't there when they went earlier.

When they leave Harbour Lounge game tells them to go home.

This fucking game. But I guess someone will be along to say they are playing it wrong huh?

Zafir

I'm actually not sure why it doesn't let you go home from the Harbour that day. There really isn't anything to find from what I remember. I think they just lazily programmed it so you can't go home until 8PM every day as most days you can get something, regardless of whether you can actually trigger something or not.

At least next episode should be action packed for them though - from what I remember anyway.. :p

You are in a desolate island and can only bring one shenmue npc with you. Who do you bring?

My answer is Honey-san. Something tells me that considering she has been useless this whole time that maybe her secret wild card is that she's great at survival knowledge

Watching this it truly shows how much better II's characters are. The only thing 1 has over 2 is the fact that every NPC in the game has a story and background.

BOTEC

You are in a desolate island and can only bring one shenmue npc with you. Who do you bring?

My answer is Honey-san. Something tells me that considering she has been useless this whole time that maybe her secret wild card is that she's great at survival knowledge

I bet Water Dragon Jeans guy would come in handy in that scenario. If only for me to cannibalize his corpse after I hit him over the head with a rock... but perhaps I've said too much.

Yeah, like that girl that doesn't like to talk to strangers. I feel like I've known her all my life.

You're joking but it's true. Every character has a profile. On the passport disc each one has a background. Every character besides story characters (mad Angels, Chen;etc) have daily schedules and most have a place of residence. This includes the npcs that don't want to talk to you.

http://shenmuedojo.net/new/games/s1characters.html

Is that so.

It's a large reason why some viewers wanted the Beast team to talk to people. It's a large part of the first games appeal, although sometimes it doesn't convey it in the best of ways due to the lack of dialogue system and the tourist/businessman npcs. But to its benefit, when done right, Shenmue 1's locale does feel like a small, tight knit community.

My hope for III is due to the fact it's in rural China it has the small town feel with every character having a backstory but articulating this in a better manner. Since there probably won't be a passport disc all of this information needs to be conveyed in game. Definitely one of Shenmue 1's biggest flaws is locking these back stories for every character behind the passport disc. So you sight of its scope. But then again, it'd be hard to achieve given the already large space requirements for speech and audio. My hope is that III will present this experience and not be crippled under the limitations of being on a GD rom.

Given there are games that convey this in a much better manner without limitation like Deadly Premonition, I have a lot of hope.

Spaghetti

O.G Shenmue characters?

Kurita-san (military surplus guy). I feel he's probably a doomsday prepper with serious survival skills.

I wouldn't trust Kurita with my life. Isn't he just a military otaku and not even trained? I don't trust any Shenmue 1 character to not kill us besides Gui Zhang and maybe Mark.

If you keep talking to kurita, he eventually opens up to you about his girlfriend who runs the flower stool near the bus stop. He tells you about the problems they're having. His gf also opens up about it if you pursue that quest.

I gather kurita would be constantly talking about her if you were stuck on an island with him. Eventually you'd get fed up and use the survival kit on him :)

Id take chai with me to the island for some straight up loving......

What does Mark mean to say when he says,"Ryo, you're a..."

I always figured "you're a weird kid and really need to get laid" or some other elderly advice.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What does Mark mean to say when he says,"Ryo, you're a..."

I always figured "you're a weird kid and really need to get laid" or some other elderly advice.

yeah .. while we can add a million terrible things in there :p
let's just say "Ryo you're a .. weird one" seems the most likely and least bad ..

Zafir

If you keep talking to kurita, he eventually opens up to you about his girlfriend who runs the flower stool near the bus stop. He tells you about the problems they're having. His gf also opens up about it if you pursue that quest.

I gather kurita would be constantly talking about her if you were stuck on an island with him. Eventually you'd get fed up and use the survival kit on him :)

Id take chai with me to the island for some straight up loving......

Don't they actually break up if you follow that through to the end? He'd be whinging over her I imagine!

Or maybe I'm mis-remembering.

They try to leave to trigger the next day.

Game doesn't let them.

They go to the places where people go to try and trigger something, anything.

Everyone walking around is too busy for them.

Eventually game points them to Harbour Lounge, somewhere they have already been, as somewhere the NPCs they need will be.

They are not there, just like they weren't there when they went earlier.

When they leave Harbour Lounge game tells them to go home.

This fucking game. But I guess someone will be along to say they are playing it wrong huh?

Right.

On that night, for some reason, you end up having to stay late even though you're fresh out of leads. I never noticed because I usually wait till 9 or 10 and play darts in the harbor Tomato store anyways and by that time the game will allow you to go home.

I'm realizing while watching this that unfortunately, a lot of peoples experiences with Shenmue is going to be different from mine purely by play style. GBEAST aren't doing anything wrong here, and they want to push the story forward, but it won't let them because the game has decided to do an event. I've never ran into this problem. It's a legitimate flaw and I can't defend it.

The more glaring flaw is the lack of hints period. There's nothing in the notebook, and none of the npc's are giving ANY valuable information. I know exactly what you have to do and it has no relevance on the players part. This shows an inconsistency in Shenmue's own game design logic. In that usually you scout for information, but here the only thing you can do is play the waiting game. I've never noticed that but it's glaring and it's a flaw.

Haven't played in 6-7+ years, so my memory is a little foggy. I think u may be right zafir

Damn i really wish giantbomb used the telephone more. I use to always call nozomi and other friends when i got back home from work. Some great interactions.

Also use to call gui zhang to go and hang with him in the warehouse.

You also get extra dialog and development for calling home every once in a while, whilst you're out.

Other worthwhile interaction routes are

Akemi - (learn about her alcohol/men problem and fuku sans crush on her)

Mark - (learn about his brother and life at the harbor)

Tramp - (teaches you moves and gives you general guidance)

Antique shop guy - (teaches you about antiques in the shop)

Goro - (goofing about and
marriage proposal
)

Megumi - (builds on her relationship with the cat and observe her try to convince her parents to let it live with them)

Nozomi( moving to canda, feelings, school,
massive romantic finish)

Tom (learn about honey san, hotdogs
and his special ending at the end of disk 3)

Eri - (eggs u on about spending time with nozomi, discusses school and gives you the bitch treatment)

Ichiro (motorcycle guy) - (talk about passion for motorcycles, his worry for ryo and general bro talk)

Fuku-san - (spar with him in the dojo, teach him moves, learn about his crush on akemi and general fuku san duhh moments)

Ine san - learn about her depression due to iwao's death, her worry for ryo, eggs him on about nozomi etc)

Guizhang (teaches you moves, translates move scrolls, gives you general advice if you hang with him in the warehouse during lunchbreaks and after work)

Harbor/tomato store guy - (learn about him working two jobs to pay for college or something along those lines)

Tomato store lady. - (crush on ryo. Learn about her acting dreams. General chit chat)

Abe - (tells you stories of when you were younger and a little baby)

Mai- (she ends up hanging with the wrong crowd (two rude school girls) and you have to help get her back on the right track). This is the scene where ryo beats up the two school girls lol

While it would be kool if giantbomb encountered these events, i find it next to impossible to do so as all the interactions are very subtle and develop at certain points (christmas/new years, late at night, early in the morning, in bars, shops etc). Its probably why most shenmue fans have completed the game many times.

Shenmue 2 is more expansive and has a ton more social interactions with a much more interesting cast. The default path allows you to encounter most of these as the game guides you at various points.

Damn. Im suprised i remember all that. Them hd versions need to come out soon. I wanna jump back into that universe.

post - may look funny as im using mobile.

Curufinwe

I guess it's just the 20+ years of exposure to Street Fighter 2, but it seems like by the end of every episode Vinny & Dan slip back into calling him "Ryu" even though they have characters shouting "Ryo" at them throughout every episode.

batfax

Yeah, the Mai and Goro scene always felt odd. I guess at some point they were like "We have to make sure players know all kinds of stuff is going to be happening in Yokosuka even after Ryo leaves, and we already have Nozomi leaving... who else would the player have to meet by default and what's something crazy we can have 'em do?"

Yeah, the Mai and Goro scene always felt odd. I guess at some point they were like "We have to make sure players know all kinds of stuff is going to be happening in Yokosuka even after Ryo leaves, and we already have Nozomi leaving... who else would the player have to meet by default and what's something crazy we can have 'em do?"

One thing I've always liked about Shenmue 1's story telling was how at the beginning of the game most of the people give their sympathies about his fathers murder but ultimately have to care for their own lives and problems. Whether it's preparing for exams for graduation or keeping their business afloat (such as the burger place). Even Chen and Gui Zhang, who help Ryo the most, still have their own problems to worry about and although the death of his father is sad, there's barely anything they can do to help the situation. So I liked the fact that Nozomi leaves or there's things you can't stop or help, like Mark's brother dying, or Kurita and Yuriko's ailing relationship. There's a sense of powerlessness to it. Ryo's only means of covering Lan Di's tracks being detective work helps drill this in because he's always one step behind. Ryo's problems are just one persons problems in the sea of problems in Yokosuka. I thought there were better side stories in the game to help accentuate this, but I never put Goro getting married in that pile because it's so random and what the fuck with zero development.

Spaghetti

Wondering if they do a marathon run next episode to the end (it's very much possible), but I feel they'll split the endgame and it'll finish pretty neatly on Friday.

Vinny will soon find out that he
needed to play more Hang On

Top Bottom