• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

What's your definition of a master piece?

I don't know that I have a definition, but I guess to me it's a game (or work of art) where every piece just makes total sense, there is little to nothing that is superfluous, and the whole thing is cohesive, coherent, and holistically designed. I would consider Ocarina of Time to be a masterpiece, because I think for its time it was incredible and it holds up to this day. They took the ALTTP blueprint and nailed the adaptation to 3D on the first try. That is incredibly impressive. BOTW just feels like a refinement of open-world game design, but there's a lot of stuff that feels undercooked (like the cooking, pun intended), which totally lets you break the challenge curve. The combat isn't very good, the bosses kind of suck, the story is a total nothingburger (and I think OoT's story is underrated, it doesn't hit you over the head with it but I think there's a lot of tragedy in the transition from present to future), the dungeons are too short and I only like 2 of them, and I think the only place where all the systems holistically come together are in Hyrule Castle... but the game lets you skip the entire thing, even if you didn't mean to, very easily. The sidequests are disappointing too, with one exception (Tarry Town).

That was longer than intended. Real quick, some other games that I think are masterpieces: Silent Hill 2, The Last Guardian, Deus Ex (arguable, but it's still the best in its genre to me), Bloodborne. I think these are all timeless in their design (if not necessarily technically).

ep4
2957910-webp.net-resizeimage+%2815%29.jpg

BOMY89M.gif

8EdXL0K.png

oti

Banned
nah man, PUBG is an amazing game, BoTW is one of the greatest gaming experience i've ever had 🙏🙏🙏

I think that deep in our hearts, we can all come together and agree with this correct statement.

Kingdom Hearts is the Light.
And so is BOTW.

I don't know that I have a definition, but I guess to me it's a game (or work of art) where every piece just makes total sense, there is little to nothing that is superfluous, and the whole thing is cohesive, coherent, and holistically designed. I would consider Ocarina of Time to be a masterpiece, because I think for its time it was incredible and it holds up to this day. They took the ALTTP blueprint and nailed the adaptation to 3D on the first try. That is incredibly impressive. BOTW just feels like a refinement of open-world game design, but there's a lot of stuff that feels undercooked (like the cooking, pun intended), which totally lets you break the challenge curve. The combat isn't very good, the bosses kind of suck, the story is a total nothingburger (and I think OoT's story is underrated, it doesn't hit you over the head with it but I think there's a lot of tragedy in the transition from present to future), the dungeons are too short and I only like 2 of them, and I think the only place where all the systems holistically come together are in Hyrule Castle... but the game lets you skip the entire thing, even if you didn't mean to, very easily. The sidequests are disappointing too, with one exception (Tarry Town).

That was longer than intended. Real quick, some other games that I think are masterpieces: Silent Hill 2, The Last Guardian, Deus Ex (arguable, but it's still the best in its genre to me), Bloodborne. I think these are all timeless in their design (if not necessarily technically).

That's solid. I'd may add Spelunky on that list myself. Despite me not really sticking with that game. But it's utter perfection.

To me, a masterpiece doesn't have to be perfect in every way. If it does something differently and does that to a never before seem degree or if it evokes emotions you haven't felt for a while, that itself makes a game a masterpiece to me. The tension in Mass Effect 2's suicide mission, the utter joy of playing Mario Galaxy, the thrilling flow of playing Mirror's Edge flawlessly. Those I'd also call masterpieces, despite them being far from perfect.

That's why I'd call BOTW a masterpiece too. It's not perfect, but the way it fills an open world with life, with heart, with something interesting to see, with hundreds of micro challenges in climbing mountains, conquering the world. It makes an open world game feel exciting again.

Deus Ex is absolutely one of the few games I'd consider a masterpiece and good for the medium.

That you find its DNA in Zelda BotW, and that it's arguably its most lauded quality, speaks to how meaningful. And impressively, for as many games it influenced, Deus Ex hasn't been supplanted after 17 years.

That's solid. I'd may add Spelunky on that list myself. Despite me not really sticking with that game. But it's utter perfection.

Yup I just saw someone else mention this on twitter and I agree. Nothing in that game sticks out at all, it's bizarre how great it is for a procgen game. I only beat the true final boss once but it's still one of my fondest gaming achievements.

I also agree that a masterpiece doesn't have to be perfect, because there's no such thing in any human endeavor.

imBask

Banned
finally getting around watching that Film & 40s... why the fuck did they pick the most UNCOMMON version of the movie, it's impossible to find other than on shudder and it's not even on shudder Canada

Salarians

oh boy, I didn't pay any attention to this Shelob stuff because I don't care about LOTR or the Mordor games but from the headlines I was picturing a Quelaag situation

but they literally just turned a gigantic spider into a sexy human woman, they really did it

wow

Jintor

really at the end of the day all spiders are basically just sexy women

ben's 'a claymore is a double edged sword' line in nidhogg was preeeetty good

Colin also refused to go to pax a week before quitting Kinda Funny, just sayin

In all fairness Colin shit on the idea of going to PAX for the longest of times. Then he said he'd do it in the end due to his friends. Then instead he fucked them all over and used it as a convenient excuse not to PAX.

Switch really needs an option to stream directly to the TV. The ideal scenario would be a hybrid of the Wii U and the current model. It's essential for some second screen stuff and for touch screen controls to be used on the big screen like they did with Mario Maker.

Edit: Seriously Piston why are you even here?

Santiako

I love Rorie's stories.

"I've been catsitting this week."
"How is it going?"
"They are adorable and I really enjoy it."

He's like the most wholesome man in the planet.

zelas

That pacman game doesn't seem worth the hassle of setting up two switches in a weird way and overpaying for 25 year old games.

real talk though Brad solo streams aren't bad so here's hoping he finds something good to play if he does one

Is Pacman a masterpiece? I think it's got a far better shot at being one than any of the MGS bullshit Dan suggested.

it did a lot more for single-screen arcade games than MGS did for stealth-action

not to say that MGS isn't shit, but not a lot of games are Pac-Man

I've only met Jeff and Brad (at E3 a few years ago), but they were both great. I met Xavier Woods at this year's E3 and he was nice too.

Same here, a few years ago at E3 met Jeff while demoing Morpheus (PSVR) said a quick hi to Drew and Vinny as they were going to record stuff, they looked really busy, I didn't want to bother them, but they seemed really nice.

Top Bottom